You are here: Home » Blog » Tutorials » Designer Tools & Tips » How To: Save Your PSD template into PNGs

How To: Save Your PSD template into PNGs

by Steph on 8 May 2012
in Designer Tools & Tips,Photoshop CS+,Tutorials Pin this scrappy stuff!

Post image for How To: Save Your PSD template into PNGs

Hello friends! Sorry I missed you all last week. My poor little boy has strep throat and a nasty bacterial infection. I haven’t done much on the computer for about a week! I am missing it, and I’m sure you all missed me, LOL.

During some talk at the DSS Forum, a few of you mentioned you would be interested in knowing how to save a PSD template into PNGs. It’s reaaaalllly easy to do. First of all, this is done in PS CS4. You can do this in PSE, but you have to buy the script and manually instal it. I think they run about $8. So, lets get started.

First, open up your template. I always run my templates before I shadow them, so the PNGs aren’t shadowed. The template pictured already has shadows, but it’s for learning purposes only ;)

Go to File->Scripts->Layer Compose to file.

Next a little box comes up. First you are going to pick your file destination. I find it helpful to have a pre made folder on my desk top that says PNGs. Just click the browse button to search for your folder. Then choose what you want to name your files. Then click the file type. Make sure you pick PNG-24 instead of PNG-8. Yes this will take longer, but your files will be better quality. And then hit run. And that’s it! Pretty easy eh?

On a side note, a few of you have wondered about glitter styles, how to use them, instal them etc. I would like you to know that a tut on this is in the works!! I’m not writing it, so I’m not sure how far out it is, but never worry, It will be here soon!

Have a fabulous day!

Share our scrappy goodness!

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Donna 8 May 2012 at 9:43 pm

You gals are all so great for doing these tutorials for us!! I can’t wait to get the one on using glitter styles (step by step & the easier the better!)…I would also like more info on the easiest way to get started using drop shadows & strokes (I need basics 1st & then I can handle more “technical” techniques!!)…Thanks, again!!!

2 Carol 8 May 2012 at 11:41 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Golly, I appreciate these very much.
I hope your little guy is over all that stuff that hit him. Poor little guy. It’s so hard on mothers as well when seeing their child so sick .

3 Karen Schulz 9 May 2012 at 3:49 am

Great tutorial, Steph! I will be putting up the glitter tutorial you mentioned next week! :)

4 Geri 9 May 2012 at 6:55 am

That was an easy enough sounding tutorial. Thanks!

5 HighDesertGal 9 May 2012 at 2:25 pm

Where can those of us who use PSE10 buy the script for doing this and what is it called?

6 Steph 9 May 2012 at 2:32 pm

This is the one I know of-
It doesn’t say it was tested in PSE10, but if you contact Wendy, she is really great at talking and helping her customers! Hope that helps!

7 miniacres 9 May 2012 at 7:06 pm

Hmmm, doesn’t work for me. I have tried several different psd’s and get this error-”No layer comp found in document!” I am sure it is operator error.

8 mischalaneous 10 May 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’ve been wanting to learn this for some time now! THANKS, Steph!

9 Jen 11 May 2012 at 5:23 am

I tried this and the layer comps does not work in CS3. Miniacres – there is an option for Export Layers to Files (instead of comps, I ran into the same error) but no PNG option listed. JPEG of course doesn’t save transparency. Anyone have any further suggestions?

Thanks Steph!

10 Aveziur 11 May 2012 at 10:18 am

Miniacres, Jen. I have the same problem and the solution was install an expecific script for this action. You can download for free here: http://www.scriptsrus.talktalk.net/Layer%20Saver.htm
Hope this help. Anyway your tut is great Steph!

11 miniacres 12 May 2012 at 2:34 am

Thank you Aveziur! That worked and will come in handy!

12 Joomla Templates 13 May 2012 at 8:32 am

you saved my life man!!! i was looking for this tutorial . great

13 SD 13 October 2012 at 3:38 pm

I tried the download but still get the same errors? I use CS5.1

14 Teresa 7 April 2013 at 3:23 pm

This is great, but I would really like to know how to EASILY get a bunch of .png’s into one .psd! I have a lot of alpha’s that are all separate files and would luv to know how to put them into one sheet, like a lot of designers offer :)

15 Patty W 4 October 2013 at 8:42 am

Teresa, The only way I know to do this, is open up a new PSE file that is 12×12 and 300 resolution, and then open all the individual alphas and place each on the new 12×12 layer file you just created in PSE–kind of like you would when adding elements to a layout. Then just merge all layers and save as a png file to maintain the transparency. Sometimes you have to resize the individual alphas to fit them all on one 12×12. It takes awhile to do this, but worth the effort, I think! (I only do this for alphas I really fall in love with and know I’ll use!). Hope this helps.