PDA

View Full Version : Next Designer Contest: September 2012

Toiny
08-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Official Rules and Details

Our Annual Next Designer Contest kicks off September 1, 2012.

No need for sign ups, just post your Round 1 entry in Next Designer Contest Gallery by September 5, 2011 no later than Midnight (24:00) EST and you will automatically be listed as a competitor.

All challenges will be posted 6:00 a.m. EST and due by Midnight (24:00) EST per the scheduled dates:
- Intro's begin August here in the Forum, through Round 1
- Round 1: Challenge begins Sept. 1st, Due Sept 5th
- Round 2: Challenge begins Sept. 8th, Due Sept 12th
- Round 3: Challenge begins Sept. 15th, Due Sept 19th
- Round 4: Challenge begins Sept 22nd, Due Sept 27th
- Winner announced Sept 30th

The contest is open to anyone interested in becoming a Designer, whether you are brandnew, established or even just for fun!

This is an elimination-style contest. Every week approximately half of you will be eliminated. I will post exact numbers after Round 1 entries are submitted. Everyone will have the opportunity to participate in a Second Chance contest as well. This will begin on Sept. 8, 2012.

Starting with the winners in Round 2 there will be prizes awarded. Round 2 winners will all receive an exclusive, brandnew, CU Grab Bag from theStudio Designers. All NDC events will be judged by theStudio Designer & Admin teams only. There will not be public voting.

The winner of this years NDC will receive a brandnew Silhouette CAMEO®, as well as a contract as a Studio Design Team Member. Prizes and participation rules will be published by September 1, 2012.

I am really looking forward to seeing you all this year!

Smooches,

Toiny

Renee
08-08-2012, 02:11 PM
8D I was already looking forward to give it another try this year. I do love a bit of exitement!! :))

donakat
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Oh, boy, is September ever going to be busy....

DanielleS83
08-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Wonderful grand prize! Really been wanting one of those myself lately!

Renee
08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Wonderful grand prize! Really been wanting one of those myself lately!

Just googled, had no idea what is was :o, but hee, it is a great price indeed!!

Janet-B
08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Wonderful prizes, sign up!

Linda Renee
08-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I've been looking forward to this. I've always enjoyed this contest. But I'm not entering again this year. I quite selling early this year, and have no desire to reenter the market. I still design and give away freebies on my blog, but this was the very first place I entered a design contest and did so for three years. Last year I decided I would not enter a fourth time. I was just moving from one state to another the first of September, then in the middle of the month my SIL passed away, which required a trip out of state for the funeral. Had I entered, it would have been deju vu. Out due to circumstances beyond my control like 2008. This year I'll be content to maybe play along if I have time, and to watch what everyone else comes up with. And give some encouragement to those who do enter. Now I'm off to blog about the contest,'cause this is such a learning experience and a lot of fun.

avalon4
08-09-2012, 05:44 PM
So much fun and what prizes are being offered up - yippee! This is the very contest that got me started as a designers, so please, give it a try. It's so very exciting! Looking forward to it!

Toiny
08-10-2012, 02:47 AM
We will miss you! I didn't realize you stopped designing. I know September is frequently a tough month for people, but for you it's been very tough.

If I see interest, we can put up a play-along gallery as well.

Smooches!

I've been looking forward to this. I've always enjoyed this contest. But I'm not entering again this year. I quite selling early this year, and have no desire to reenter the market. I still design and give away freebies on my blog, but this was the very first place I entered a design contest and did so for three years. Last year I decided I would not enter a fourth time. I was just moving from one state to another the first of September, then in the middle of the month my SIL passed away, which required a trip out of state for the funeral. Had I entered, it would have been deju vu. Out due to circumstances beyond my control like 2008. This year I'll be content to maybe play along if I have time, and to watch what everyone else comes up with. And give some encouragement to those who do enter. Now I'm off to blog about the contest,'cause this is such a learning experience and a lot of fun.

kimberkatt
08-10-2012, 09:29 AM
wooohoooo!! Let the fun begin! So excited!! I love September! :(( :DD

ADBDesign {anita_d}
08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
this is an amazing and wonderful experience; if you are at all considering, DO go ahead and jump in and give it a try!

jusmedigital
08-10-2012, 04:47 PM
ohhhh!! I want one! current designers can join too, right?? ;) lol

katlen124
08-11-2012, 04:10 PM
looking forward to this again

Scooter59
08-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Oh, I have been so looking forward to this. I have only be co-designing so this should be fun and a challenge!

sbc33
08-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Oh boy, this is always a fun challenge, even if you know you have NO HOPE IN HECK of winning! I'll be there.

Toiny
08-12-2012, 05:14 AM
Christine, we can have a play-along for our Design Team. I think I can whip up a little prize for the winner :D

Welcome to all of you! I hate this part... waiting until September 1 to roll around.

loucee
08-12-2012, 05:34 AM
I have a Cameo and what a great prize for the winner, combining it's uses with digital kits is great.

Can't wait for this to start, roll on September lol!

kimberkatt
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Seriously, I look forward to this all year! I love September at theStudio! :((

JB Scraps
08-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Oh I am SO in!! I was a designer a few years ago (Jeanette Bollinger Designs at the time) and I took a break from designing to concentrate on my businesses (photography and logo design). But I have been thinking about getting back into it so this is an awesome way to jump back in!! Can't wait for the first!!!!

:XX:XX:XX

kimberkatt
08-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Hey there Jeanette!!! :DD So excited you decided to jump back into designing! You were here back in the SAS days! lol I've been following your photography business on Facebook, excellent work!! :))

mandak
08-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm excited to see so many of you showing interest! It's going to be a blast! I love watching your designs roll in!

MGDesigns
08-17-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm super excited too! I can't wait to see all of the entries :D :D :D

Lynn
08-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Looking forward to this - this is always fun!

mollyscraps
08-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Okay, I learn so much from this every year... I'm game... thanks!!!

Georgedinah
08-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I WANNA TRY!!

SnickerdoodleDesigns
08-18-2012, 08:57 PM
This is a wonderful experience and so much fun! I am delighted to see the interest, and encourage you, if you have given this even the faintest thought, to go for it!!!

Elizabeth
08-19-2012, 04:04 AM
The prize is just amazing. The Cameo is really a fantastic machine.
September is a too busy month for me each year, but if I have a little time, I'll look after round 1 just for fun. ;)

vadkins
08-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Looking forward to this! I participated last year but didn't get any farther than Round 1. I have grown so much as a designer in the last year, though, that I am really looking forward to trying again. The prompts are so much fun and everyone is always so supportive in the gallery. :) Now to prepare for September 1st!

avalon4
08-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Virginia - so glad you've signed up. You won't be sorry!

dedesmith32
08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd like to challenge myself a bit and join this time! Is there a place for sign-ups or do I just wait until September 1st for the info? :)

Toiny
08-21-2012, 11:32 AM
We'd love to have you! I will post the first challenge on September 1, then you will have until September 5th to submit your entry. No sign-ups needed, just join on in. The first challenge will contain all the rules & conditions. HINT: the first challenge will be a mini, not a full-size kit!

After September 5th, there will be no additional entries accepted.

Please feel free to ask any questions. Just about the only thing we won't answer is "What is the first challenge?":XX

I'd like to challenge myself a bit and join this time! Is there a place for sign-ups or do I just wait until September 1st for the info? :)

Jacque
08-21-2012, 10:06 PM
i'm half and half on this one. i'm doing the CT challenge and a part of me says GO BACK TO DESIGNING YOU MISS IT SO MUCH!! then the other half says HECK NO!!! LOL i'll take it step by step :)

Tonisha
08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
I think I am gonna give this a try. Sounds like a lot of fun.

ravynfaire
08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Very exciting. I am definitely going to be joining in!!

Jilbs
08-24-2012, 11:29 PM
I learnt so much last year! I am definitely in! :)

vadkins
08-27-2012, 07:33 AM
i'm half and half on this one. i'm doing the CT challenge and a part of me says GO BACK TO DESIGNING YOU MISS IT SO MUCH!! then the other half says HECK NO!!! LOL i'll take it step by step :)

Hee hee! You know you want to, girl. ;)

Thanks, Darlene! I am looking forward to this! Last year, I think I got cut after round 1 because I didn't use any shadows on my preview - one of several glaring issues with my kit. :P This contest really was a turning point for me - I am hoping it will be the same this year.

Hey, Toiny, you tease! :) Thanks for the hint on round 1.

Toiny
08-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Oooo I like to tease. It's taking forever for the first to get here. You bring up a great point that shadows are important. We had a wonderful thread started by Tracy last year that included our favorite Tutorials (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11659). I've moved it so it's in this forum.

I'll give a shout-out to my team to post some newer tutorials they love.

aadesigns
08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I'd like to try... We always can learn a lot with this kind of contest. Last year I lost, but this I won't... ^^

KarenDiamondDesigns
08-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I am excited!! I plan to join as a first-timer here!

kimberkatt
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I'd like to try... We always can learn a lot with this kind of contest. Last year I lost, but this I won't... ^^

I absolutely LOVE this optimism!! Keep that attitude, be confident, let it shine on through!! :DD :))

kimberkatt
08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
I am excited!! I plan to join as a first-timer here!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!! Glad to have you with us!! :DD

gail
08-28-2012, 05:56 AM
this sounds like fun I am going to give this a try

chunlin
08-28-2012, 12:07 PM
This sounds like fun! I'm in... as a first-timer too!!

tanteva
08-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Oh, this was soooo much FUN last year. Wish I had the time this year too.

littlespooky
08-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Last year was a blast. I made it to the final round but i was so sick when i did my last kit that my qc was really sucky. i will join again for the practice and challenge...:O8D:DD

kimberkatt
08-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Yay Carmen! So happy to see you back again this year!! :(( <3

jilbert
08-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I just might give this a try ... even though I don't have a clue about how one goes about becoming a professional designer ...

tanteva
08-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I just might give this a try ... even though I don't have a clue about how one goes about becoming a professional designer ...

Give it a try! Check out the tutorials - I learned soooo much in last year's contest. Even if you don't win the contest, you are a winner cuz you learn so much during the weeks.

jilbert
08-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Give it a try! Check out the tutorials - I learned soooo much in last year's contest. Even if you don't win the contest, you are a winner cuz you learn so much during the weeks.

Thanks!!! That's what I figured ... I tend to learn most while completely stressed out ...

littlespooky
08-29-2012, 06:56 PM

so true!!!

littlespooky
08-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Yay Carmen! So happy to see you back again this year!! :(( <3
thanks KImberbratt!!!! lol

JB Scraps
08-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Eeeeeeeek is it September yet?? I am SO excited!!!

:((:((:((

Toiny
08-30-2012, 02:07 AM
You know what the worst part is? September comes, I post the first challenge.... and nothing. I refresh & refresh the gallery, super impatiently, waiting for the entries to come in. I loooooove to see what you create with the challenges. It is the highlight of the year.

Eeeeeeeek is it September yet?? I am SO excited!!!

:((:((:((

createdbyjill
08-30-2012, 05:38 AM
OOOOOOOH.....love designer challenges! So glad I found this one!

SandyPie
08-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Hey Toiny!!! I was just thinking about this the other day, wondering if y'all where going to do it again. You know I'm in!! Every year I try, even though it's so nerve wracking, I'm such a glutton for punishment! ;) Maybe this is my year?

Toiny
08-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Yay Sandy! It wouldn't be the same without you :D

I always look forward to your entries. And, admit it, it is fun! I'm jealous of all of you that get to play & create. I'm not jealous of the anxiety every round, LOL, but I am jealous of the challenge and the thrill of competing.

Can't wait to see your first entry.

Hey Toiny!!! I was just thinking about this the other day, wondering if y'all where going to do it again. You know I'm in!! Every year I try, even though it's so nerve wracking, I'm such a glutton for punishment! ;) Maybe this is my year?

SandyPie
08-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Yay Sandy! It wouldn't be the same without you :D

I always look forward to your entries. And, admit it, it is fun! I'm jealous of all of you that get to play & create. I'm not jealous of the anxiety every round, LOL, but I am jealous of the challenge and the thrill of competing.

Can't wait to see your first entry.

You're too sweet Toiny, thank you!! :XX

kimberkatt
08-30-2012, 05:24 PM
thanks KImberbratt!!!! lol

Awwww, see..... I'm feeling the love!! <3 <3 8D

kimberkatt
08-30-2012, 05:27 PM
OOOOOOOH.....love designer challenges! So glad I found this one!

Yay! Welcome to theStudio Jill!! :DD We're excited to have you with us! Spread the word, tell your friends, we throw one heck of a party here in September!! :))

createdbyjill
08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Yay! Welcome to theStudio Jill!! :DD We're excited to have you with us! Spread the word, tell your friends, we throw one heck of a party here in September!! :))

TYTY! I'm looking forward to it!! Will post on my Facebook Page!

Jessicasma
08-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Maybe, just maybe...I will try again!

Lyndsfairne
08-31-2012, 09:44 AM
I am very excited to give this a first time go! Is it tomorrow yet?!?! lol

Toiny
08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
It's tomorrow in Australia LOL. Unfortunately we are waiting for EST morning. Sigh.

I am very excited to give this a first time go! Is it tomorrow yet?!?! lol

2girlsandadog
08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I am so in this year!! I've actually been looking forward to this contest for quite a while now. The rest of today is going to go by so s - l - o - w!!

JuliEnriquezDesigns
08-31-2012, 05:26 PM
First time I'm going to give this a shot, if I can now find more time in a day, I'll be okay.

katlen124
08-31-2012, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't mind going on Aussie time :l

kimberkatt
08-31-2012, 06:57 PM
First time I'm going to give this a shot, if I can now find more time in a day, I'll be okay.

And when you find that extra time, you know you need to share, right?! :)) Even if we all just get an extra 10 minutes, that's cool, I'm not greedy.... :DD

Welcome to theStudio!! lol :l

No, really, Welcome, Welcome!! I'm so excited for tomorrow and can't wait to see what you all bring to the game!! :((

createdbyjill
08-31-2012, 06:57 PM
So excited!!! I'll be able to start with my morning coffee!! YAY!

JeepDiva
08-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Do we need to sign up? I'm really not sure whats going on but it sounds like fun just from reading posts!

vadkins
08-31-2012, 08:44 PM
OMG just realized this starts at 6AM - not midnight! :( I was all jazzed to stay up, too. Guess I will have to check in again bright and early. So excited!

JB Scraps
08-31-2012, 09:41 PM
This feels like Christmas Eve, lol! I want it to be morning NOW NOW NOW!!! :m

Toiny
09-01-2012, 02:16 AM
No need to sign-up! Just come back when the little black clock reads 6:00 am and grab the challenge. Then post your preview by midnight September 5th.

Everyone who posts a preview by midnight September 5th is entered.

NOTE: please be sure to register in the forum before September 5th. Forum registration requires human verification. Waiting till the last minute may prevent last minute posting.

Do we need to sign up? I'm really not sure whats going on but it sounds like fun just from reading posts!

Aveziur
09-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Ahhhh! less than two hours to go!!!

vadkins
09-01-2012, 04:07 AM
Kids woke me up, so I had to pop in and say - Less than 1 hour! :D

Lynn
09-01-2012, 04:16 AM
Under 45 minutes now ;)

Minoush
09-01-2012, 04:57 AM
I quickly posted my introduction thread and now I am waiting here with interest.... :((

vadkins
09-01-2012, 04:58 AM
SO CLOSE!!!

Pacifika
09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I couldn't resist joining in. I've done it a couple of times and not done well at all. But this year I'm more ready. I've been schooled by Sherah and I've got a nice collection of tools and stuff. I know I won't win first place but I'd love to earn that CU grab bag.

Thank you, Toiny. :D

ravynfaire
09-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I feel so bad because I totally missed this. I wanted to be a part of this but due to all my homework I missed getting a kit ready in time to submit. I hope you will do this again next year because I would love to be a part of this!

mandak
09-06-2012, 11:40 AM
You can vote for your favorite contestants in the Layout Contest while you wait! http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=11762

createdbyjill
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Voted.....still have TWO DAYS LEFT!!!

kimberkatt
09-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I feel so bad because I totally missed this. I wanted to be a part of this but due to all my homework I missed getting a kit ready in time to submit. I hope you will do this again next year because I would love to be a part of this!

Yes! We've been doing the contest every year since the site opened back in 2007 as Stone Accents Studio! 6 years of Designer Contests! And every year it gets bigger and better! So definitely plan on being here in September next year! ;) I'm so sorry you couldn't participate this year, life has a way of doing that sometimes! :))

dreamynest
09-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Oh wow. I'm just sick. I don't know how I missed this. I get the newsletter, but I had no idea this was going on until I saw it on Facebook a few minutes ago. I really, really wanted to do this. *sigh*

Good luck everyone!!! I'll be cheering from the sidelines for you and wishing I could play, too. :(

avalon4
09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Oh wow. I'm just sick. I don't know how I missed this. I get the newsletter, but I had no idea this was going on until I saw it on Facebook a few minutes ago. I really, really wanted to do this. *sigh*

Good luck everyone!!! I'll be cheering from the sidelines for you and wishing I could play, too. :(

That's unfortunate - but there's always next year!

katlen124
09-07-2012, 03:08 AM
wow! I think I may have participated every year ...

Yes! We've been doing the contest every year since the site opened back in 2007 as Stone Accents Studio! 6 years of Designer Contests! And every year it gets bigger and better!

MizzKitten
09-07-2012, 07:47 AM
actually this is my third hehehe :D

kimberkatt
09-07-2012, 09:12 AM

I'm so sorry! :'( It was in the NL on the 1st and then I think it was in it again this past Wed. I know how life gets in the way of things, I've done this same thing time and time again! You're welcome to play along, post on your blog, and then post here in the Member Giveaway's (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2) section, it's a great way to get noticed and you never know what will come of that ;)

extase
09-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Don't know if i had to post here :)
so..i do.

Here is the entry i posted in the gallery previoulsy.
You all made beautifull post.
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/data/1423/KITD_underthemoon.jpg
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/member-galleries/p104959-under-the-moon.html

kimberkatt
09-08-2012, 08:52 AM
It's not required to post a link or image here in the forum, but you can if you want ;)

Your entry is stunning! :))

littlespooky
09-08-2012, 10:55 AM
will there be a contest like last year for the contestants that didn't make it through the 1st round? what was it called?, the 2nd chance contest?? or something like that??:((

mama4bears
09-08-2012, 12:02 PM
I hope there will be too Carmen! Does anybody know if there will be a second-chance competition?

Toiny
09-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Yes there will be a second-chance competition! It should be up shortly (this weekend LOL).

I hope there will be too Carmen! Does anybody know if there will be a second-chance competition?

littlespooky
09-08-2012, 03:39 PM
thanks Toiny! it is fun to play along

avalon4
09-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm sure it was so darned close for some of you that didn't make it, there were so many great minis that were entered. You all did so very well!

mskinsey
09-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I have a question about the use of CU items in creating the minikits for the weekly challenges. The contest rules for both week 1 and week 2 state the following: "You may use commercial use/designer resource products in the creation of your kit." Now the last thing I want to do is to stir up a hornet's nest, but I am wondering how consumers (i.e., the people who purchase these products) feel about the use of CU items.

When I see a new kit for sale, it is sometimes difficult for me to determine just how much of it is original and how much is CU materials purchased from other designers and then recolored or tweaked slightly (or whatever it is that people do with CU items). I ask because I have noticed a sameness that has been creeping into the digital scrapbooking industry. As a good example, recently a number of designers used the exact same CU items for a blog train. Whether they were bows or flowers or other items doesn't really matter; what did matter was that everything looked the same in that blog train!

In fact, using CU items has gotten to be so pervasive that I rarely purchase or download anything any more because I have so many kits that all look the same. What I would really like to see is designers ... no, artists ... who are actually doing their own sketches, drawings, doodles, etc. I want to see their take on how the world looks, not what other people have designed because maybe they are lucky enough to own a Wacom or whatever it is one needs to design.

That's why I'm relying on you as artists to create your own visions that will move me enough to purchase your products. Believe me, I know how hard it is to design. I can't do it; I've tried. I just plain don't have a "painterly eye." I can't sing worth a toot, and I can't draw either, but I sure can dance and I also love to build pretty layouts with the lovely things YOU CREATE. Not someone else. Heck, since you've provided the credits, I'll just go to that person's site and purchase the CU items for myself.

So please don't put a kit together using a bunch of CU items that you purchased and then call yourself a designer. And please don't be angry at me for stating the obvious about a problem that is rampant in the digital scrapbooking industry. I don't want to make anyone feel bad or guilty. What I do want to do is encourage everyone who wants to be a digital scrapbook designer to develop her own talents. Take classes in art and design. Learn how colors work together. Doodle and sketch a lot. Practice, practice, practice! And above all, develop your own true vision.

Thank you very much for reading my little rant. This has been bothering me for a long, long time. So tonight when I saw a nice enough minikit in Round 1but then read all the credits for CU items, I was astounded. The person really hadn't done much of anything that was her own. The Studio is seeking a new designer, but I hope that whomever is chosen is actually a designer, an artist, someone with design skills who knows how to create new art using a design program, not just another colorist.