PDA

View Full Version : Operation Write Home

kcarlsen
09-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone! I don't usually post just anything, but this organization I came across today really got me!

http://operationwritehome.org/

card guidelines: http://operationwritehome.org/mailroom/

This organization sends handmade blank cards from people like us to soldiers serving overseas, so that they can send notes back to family.

Before primarily working digitally, I was a huge paper crafter. I still dabble in it to supplement my digital work. I see no reason that us as digital LO crafters couldn't do this as well! I often will design LO's to fit on the front of cards.

I know if I had a family member overseas right now, I would love for them to have a smile on their face when they received these cards.
I hope that this site will touch some of you as well!

Thanks for listening!
-Katrina

avalon4
09-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Such a wonderful thing to do! Thank you for sharing this, I'm sure some people will really appreciate this posting and jump on board!

Toiny
09-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Thanks for sharing this Katrina! This is obviously close to my heart though my husband & son are both stationed "home" right now, many of our friends are overseas. I know firsthand how much this is appreciated. Thank you.

NancyP
09-21-2012, 07:27 AM
This is a great group, Katrina, and there are many others out there like it. I have sent many boxes of my cards to them in the past. I can't tell you how much the men overseas appreciate the fact that they can pick out a card to send home for their anniversary or their child's birthday or whatever reason. Some of these groups also will take stamps or simply donations to offset their cost for sending all these packages overseas.
But please remember----NO GLITTER of any kind. If it gets on their uniforms and they are on a night raid of any sort, the glitter can give them away. If there is one card in the box with glitter the whole box has to be destroyed.
Again thanks for your post. Its an organization thats close to my heart.

britnkaysmemaw2
09-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Nancy that is a super important note you added here!
Katrina thanks for posting this. Such a wonderful cause, which is close to my heart too, being that my hubby is Retired military!

avalon4
09-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Wow Nancy, I would never of thought of that, no glitter. Makes total sense. Thanks for sharing, that would be so sad to have to trash a whole box of cards!

kcarlsen
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes, thanks Nancy! I forgot to mention that. Maybe with a digital LO card we can add all the BLING we want; digitally of course :-)!!

Can't wait to get started! I truly believe in supporting our men and women out there! My dad didn't have the same luxury when he returned from war.

Rebecca
09-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Oh I love this! A reason to break out my NEW Cameo LOL. Thanks so much for sharing and for the tip on the glitter. You would think a military mom would know that but I didn't.

ADBDesign {anita_d}
09-21-2012, 04:52 PM
thank you so much for sharing this!!!

DanielleS83
09-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I shared this with a friend of mine who makes cards! Thank YOU for sharing!

jimmyrose
09-22-2012, 11:28 AM
This is a great way to give back. My grandson is stateside, but I know he would love something like this if he were overseas. Thanks