PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob Scrapper

dreeg
11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone. I am a 40 year old married mother of two and live on the gulf coast. I have a 21 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. We have 2 dogs. One is a doxie and the other is a mix that we rescued from the pound. My brother recently rescued a pregnant stray cat. She had 3 kittens but only 2 survived. My brother works out of town so "his" cats - momma and babies - stay/live with me.

About 5 years ago my mother passed away. It was sudden and very unexpected. She was still young as she had me when she was a teen. Anyways, I was in a very hurt/saddened/depressed place. I started going through photos. Then I scanned every photo I had in case something happened to them which led me to making photo books. I made tons of photo books with all of my photos using Shutterfly. Except I never made one with my mom's pictures nor my own. I only used photos of myself when I made books for my son - me holding him, etc and one for my husband that I called young love. We started dating as teens.

One of my hobbies for the last 15 years or so is entering contests. I've won some great stuff from some excellent sponsors. I happened to win MyMemories from a blog which led me to digital scrapping. I've just recently downloaded the free trial of PSE 11.

I bought a kit (from somewhere else) and made a photo book for my grandma. It was of her family when she was growing up. I used quick pages and made a few pages myself. She loved the book!

Then I discovered freebies. I'm sure you can remember those days. I was obsessed. Downloading so much stuff, I had to use my external hard drive. Now that I've calmed down and realize that I have all this stuff, I should do something with it. I already spruced up my blog and my Facebook page. Now I am working on a book for my daughter's first year of life. I also want to finally make that book of my mom's photos and do something with the photos of me. I am in a much better place than I was a few years ago. I'm sure I will cry while making the book but they will be happy tears remembering those memories.

Anyways, this isn't my life story but I'm sure it seemed that way. Normally I post short replies and such. Thanks for having me. Oh I forgot to add, I ran across some templates. THIS is exactly what I needed to get started. I love love templates. My husband bought me a new camera for my birthday too.

avalon4
11-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Well - you have quite a story and one very similar to a lot of us - especially the "beginnings" of discovering digital scrapbooking. That's pretty much how I started too.

Looking forward to seeing some of your fabulous LOs - as I'm sure they will be if you've won some contests! Welcome to The Studio!

dreeg
11-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Sorry with writing so much stuff I wasn't very clear. I am brand new to digital scrapbooking. My hobby was entering contests from sponsors that give away toys, beauty products, etc. I enjoy learning about sponsors and love it when I win something. I just happened to recently win the MyMemories Suite program which got me started in digital scrapbooking.

Thank you for welcoming me.

avalon4
11-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Ah - the mystery is solved! What a great prize you won to get you on your path then. It was meant to be. We've got tutorials here, so if you're ever looking for some answers, check them out or just ask!

loucee
11-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Welcome to the Studio, You know you can get really hooked on digi scrapping don't you :0) it may take up a bit of that entering freebie contests time.
Have fun making your baby daughters album.

Toiny
11-03-2012, 07:14 AM
I love you already! I love your mini-life story, and I'm pretty sure I'd love to hear more. I can't wait to see some LO's with the baby girl and I'd love to see some of the memories you have of your mom & grandma.

Welcome!

NancyC
11-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Welcome and thanks for sharing your story with us. Yes, digital scrapbooking is quite addicted. I like to reference it "good therpy". Have fun here; you'll love it! I do and I'm a newbie also.

SnickerdoodleDesigns
11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Welcome! Between the MM software and your PSE trial, you've got lots of choices! I know there are MM tutorials on their site, and there are also great tutorials on theStudio's blog! And if you have a particular question, the ladies here are always willing to help out! I'm sure you will find theStudio a warm and welcoming place!

jimmyrose
11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Welcome and you have chosen a great place to hang out and learn lots of great digital scrapping. I just know you will love it. It is a great digi home.

britnkaysmemaw2
11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome to GDS. I understand the feelings of a loss of your mother. I just lost mine in June, and with the approaching holidays, am finding myself going back into that sad place! Which I know Mom would NOT want....so, scrapping is Awesome therapy! Once you get that first page of your Mom done, you will find that it helps!

Can't wait to see all the great pics of your family and furbabies!

NotAVampireLvr
11-05-2012, 04:12 PM
What an intro! Thanks for sharing your story. I can't wait to see how you develop your hobby!

jusmedigital
11-06-2012, 08:26 PM
welcome to your newest addiction. i can't wait to see your LOs in our gallery!