PDA

View Full Version : element on element

hy ellen
05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I hope that I can explain what I’m searching for to help me, and designers for that matter, to enhance elements for digital scrapbooking.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I am looking for a style, shadow, technique etc. that will prevent an element, when placing another element over it, looking flat or that the placed element looks like it is floating. <o:p></o:p>
Eg. when placing a ‘bead’ over the centre of a flower I would like this ‘bead’ to look like it has been pushed into the flower and not just plonked on.<o:p></o:p>
Is this possible to have this effect ? I have PSE7. I am unable to find a tutorial so I am putting this up here where I know someone will help.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

kimberkatt
05-09-2013, 08:13 AM
It is definitely possible! ;) I understand perfectly what you mean, because it is a peeve of mine also! lol a button in the center should look "pushed in" slightly, not hovering over the flower, because that's how it would appear realistically.... :))

Let me go play in my PSE so I'm giving you the correct instructions, I normally design in PS, so I want to make sure that the steps are the same :)

I may be able to create a dropshadow layer style for this effect, too! If I can, I will post it here for you guys to download :DD

NancyP
05-09-2013, 12:57 PM
I also struggled with that and I played and played until I came up with this technique. Probably far from being right so I am excited that Kimberly is helping!!
I put the button on the flower. I then duplicate it. I add a shadow to the first button on the right side. Lower the opacity and make it a very narrow shadow. I then do the same for the second button only the shadow is on the left side, giving the appearance that the shadow is going all around the button.. I just feel that a raised button will reflect a very narrow shadow all around it. With the top layer button active, I hit the SIMPLE PILLOW EMBOSS BEVEL. This pushes the button down into the flower just a bit but you can still see just the slightest shadow. Tried to put photo here from Photobucket, but with all the computer problems I am having, I can't get photobucket to upload my photos.

hy ellen
05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
thankyou thankyou thankyou

NancyP
05-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Your welcome, but I would still wait to see what Kimberly comes up with. My idea was touch and go. Kimberly is a lot more experienced with this stuff!!!

jilbert
05-12-2013, 11:31 PM
My trick is to use BOTH a drop shadow and an internal shadow. The thing often missing is the shadow created by the "petals" creating a shadow on the element in the center of the flower. Also, depending upon how flat the flower itself is, I may use an outer glow, but set it up like I would do a drop shadow (which I think is what you end up with using Nancy's method). For an internal glow, I use a dark color (same colors as the drop shadow), set it to linear burn and play around with it's size and opacity. Unfortunately, I don't have Elements to try this out in ... something I definitely need to change. I'll let you know if I can come up with a tutorial or style to help you out with this (and definitely compare notes with Kim).

hy ellen
05-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Thankyou Ladies, I appreciate your replies and help.

NancyP
05-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Hummm---Linear Burn---never thought of that, Robyn!!! I LOVE these discussions!!! Always a chance to learn something new!!

jilbert
05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Hummm---Linear Burn---never thought of that, Robyn!!! I LOVE these discussions!!! Always a chance to learn something new!!

I tend to go back and forth between Multiply and Linear Burn. As I understand it, Multiply only adds the color to whatever is below it ... Linear Burn combines the colors but also can make things really dark. If I don't like how one looks, I try the other. When I doing a drop shadow, I almost always use Linear Burn because it looks more natural, but often use Multiply when I do an Outer Glow that I want to look like a shadow because it's easier to pick a color I want that "glow" to be (this is when I make a dark glow/shadow thingy). I've got an example below ... the first one is multiply and the second one is using linear burn -- it's a subtle difference.

http://bitsofbytes.jilbert.org/wp-content/uploads/images/multiply.jpg http://bitsofbytes.jilbert.org/wp-content/uploads/images/linear_burn.jpg

jilbert
05-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Got the O.K. from Kim to post this ... may be because she's a bit delirious due to a nasty bug, but she said she would try to make some styles that would work in PSE.

I found out that I have a version of PSE9 and it won't do the internal shadow. I tried to see if I could use an internal glow, but it looked like it would only use a "screen" layer blend mode. However, I found out the following effects settings would pretty much do the same thing ...

Bring up your Layer "Style Settings" ...

Select a Glow -- Outer -- and enter the Size and Opacity that you
Then play with the Lighting Angle -- that probably does the same thing as the Inner Shadow settings in PSCS.

To see what was going on, I opened up the source file for one of my flower elements that had a "charm" in the center.
http://bitsofbytes.jilbert.org/wp-content/uploads/images/flower3.png
------------------------------
In PSCS, I had an Inner Shadow (black color) with:
Multiply blend at 75% Opacity
Angle: -125
Distance: 5 px
Choke: 0 px
Size: 24 px
... and an Outer Glow (dark blue color) with:
Linear Burn blend at 60% and 0% Noise
Spread: 0%
Size: 57 px
Range: 50%
-------------------------------
http://bitsofbytes.jilbert.org/wp-content/uploads/images/flower32.png
When I opened the same element in PSE9, the Style Settings palette had the following settings:
Lighting Angle: 164
Outer Glow (dark blue color)
Size: 57 px
Opacity: 60%

In all honesty, I don't see a lot of difference between the two flowers, so those settings I gave you for PSE9 should work provided the Layer Style Settings work in PSE7.

The reasoning behind the settings I choose were based on the fact that the center element needed to be set down into the petals ... that's why I used an Outer Glow. It gives a shadow all around the outside of the element. If I had used a Drop Shadow, even if I put the Distance at 0 px, the Shadow would still be slightly offset to whatever angle I had used. I used the Inner Shadow setting to provide even more illusion of the element be set down into the petals with the petals creating a shadow on to it.

Hope this helps ...

NancyP
05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
WOW, I really need to learn more about blending modes. This is great information!! Thanks so much!

kimberkatt
05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Yay Jill! Thank you so much for posting that! :XX

I have been down and out with a bad cold since Saturday, feeling much better today though! I'll work on getting the styles made up and instructions on how to load the styles, if that's needed ;) I love team work!! :DD

jilbert
05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Yay Jill! Thank you so much for posting that! :XX

I have been down and out with a bad cold since Saturday, feeling much better today though! I'll work on getting the styles made up and instructions on how to load the styles, if that's needed ;) I love team work!! :DD

Great to hear you're feeling better ... maybe too much partying??? kidding ...

NancyP
05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Kimberly??? Party??? NEVER!! Why just look at that sweet, innocent avatar of hers!!!!0:)

hy ellen
05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Again thankyou for helping - this really, really is a pet hate of mine

Amberpony
05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
I like to use the Bevel and emboss and tick the down button. Learned to do this when I was using PSE6. Several years ago so can't just rattled it off any more. lol Playing with the bevel modes makes the center get pushed down inside.

jilbert
05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Kimberly??? Party??? NEVER!! Why just look at that sweet, innocent avatar of hers!!!!0:)

I don't know Nancy ... it's usually those innocent looking ones that are the biggest party animals ... LOL!!!

hy ellen
05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Thankyou Ladies - these replies have really helped

dclazel
05-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for this thread and the replies. I'm still a newby to PSE and love finding all these tips and techniques. :w