PDA

View Full Version : Do you...

Pillowgirl
08-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Do you participate in any photography challenges? I have seen some but never tried. I am considering it thoguh, any suggestions?

TerrellS
08-08-2007, 08:15 AM
I haven't participated yet, haven't had the time and I really haven't had time to take many new photos lately. Sigh...

nighty
08-08-2007, 08:29 AM
no, i never do,
i have my camera only a few month and
the pictures i make are good enough for me,
but not for any challenges

Kyda
08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
I did one once that was kinda a scavenger hunt. It was kinda fun going around the house trying to find something blue, or something shiney, stuff like that. :)

janalyn
08-08-2007, 09:37 AM
I think a photography challenge could be fun! Maybe some who consider themselves more as photographers than scrapbookers (like me) would join in and become more comfortable with the world of forums and galleries.

shellshok
08-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I've participated in a few but most are basically about the layout & not the photography.

Pillowgirl
08-08-2007, 06:55 PM
no, i never do,
i have my camera only a few month and
the pictures i make are good enough for me,
but not for any challenges

That is specifically why I have thought about participating in the challenges... to push myself to improve in the area of photography. I tend to do my best scrapbooking for a challenge, because I know my layout isn't just for me but for someone else to "judge" and give feedback... I think I might get better with my photos if I had that little nudge now and then.

boo.6204
08-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Sounds like a good idea PillowGirl. After all, isn't scrapping supposed to be about enhancing our photos? Sometimes I like just showing my pics in cool frames with no other embellies or papers.
I'm still a beginner though so it would be quite good to try a photo challenge.
Hugs
Boo x

nighty
08-09-2007, 01:05 AM
That is specifically why I have thought about participating in the challenges... to push myself to improve in the area of photography. I tend to do my best scrapbooking for a challenge, because I know my layout isn't just for me but for someone else to "judge" and give feedback... I think I might get better with my photos if I had that little nudge now and then.

okay, when i read this, itīs a good idea
and i will try my best.
i love to learn new things,
at the beginning of the year i didnīt know that digiscrapping exists,
i had no idea how to use my photoshop
and now i create quickpages for others
iīm sure here are enough nice people to give us some good tips

Belanna
08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Pillowgirl, I can recommend an excellent place that hosts photography challenges, it's here:

http://www.therealdotin.com/

It's run by Marc Mantha, a professional photographer who also runs a number of free online classes for HP for people getting started in photography. I've taken some of his classes which is how I discovered the site. Marc is a brilliant tutor...interested, helpful and supportive. He encourages all of his students to join the site (it's free) and participate in the challenges (I confess I've been too lazy to try yet) to develop and refine their technique.

So there's quite a mix of beginners and experienced photographers on the site, and they're a really supportive friendly bunch ... just like here really!!! And Marc's always popping in with new tips and techniques. Several scrappers have joined for the same reason, wanting to stretch their photography skills, and they seem to be loving it.

Ladye
08-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Most of the scrapbooking photograph challenges I have seen are not so much to improve your ability as a photographer, but ways to improve your already taken photos. Example, making them B&W, using one that has the wrong prespective (you shot down on something or up at the sky, etc).

Improving our already taken photos is always a good thing. DO not know about you but I have lots that leave something to be desired...LOL The challenges help you use photos you would never think if using in a LO, but when you try things with it, it will surprise you how good you can make it look.

My problem with the camera I use most of the time is not quite in focus, have a ton of fuzzy photos and why I keep them is beyond me, but I do. It really isn't the camera but me that is the problem, it just takes it a little longer to focus than my other camera and since it is autofocus,I need to learn to wait.

Ok back to the discussion... Maybe we could have someone do challenges using different kinds of photos and making them look good on a LO, change the color, do a soft focus, crop them until they look right, that kind of thing.
Unless we have someone that is a pro photographer, I think it would be hard to do a 'better photography' challenge. Plus I do not think any of us have the time to go out and take special photos, just for a challenge.

Just my 2cents....
Lois

Belanna
08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Ooops! Seems I misunderstood the kind of challenge being discussed, sorry!!:o