PDA

View Full Version : Design Academy

JulieO
08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Would you like to know what all is involved before you decide to 'jump in the pool'? At the Design Academy you will learn all that and more starting at the very basics of design knowledge and on to more advanced principles of graphic design. There is a fee for this course. The Academy Courses are given in a private forum located exclusively at Stone Accents Studio!
A basic Photoshop OR Paint Shop Pro knowledge is required for participation.
Classes will be billed upon start date of the course when class literature will be sent directly to you via e-mail.
To sign up for the first series of classes e-mail Sherah Kraan at skrapperdigitals@yahoo.com

Aquarius
08-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Were can i find more info about this?

Karne
08-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Do you know if this will be offered again? I'd sure like to do it, but don't quite have the money just yet...:(

kittenb
08-31-2008, 08:11 PM
What an Awesome idea Julie! Love it! Maybe I will take it if I can work out the $.

SkrapperDigitals
08-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi Everyone! :-)

The Academy classes will be offered on a rotating schedule of every two weeks a new Session begins.
The topics that will be covered deal with nearly every aspect of becoming a Designer from the very start!

Here is more info in case you are interested :-)

$40.00

Have you thought of trying your hand at designing?
With information utilizing Both Photoshop (7+ ) and Paint Shop Pro (available soon!)
this course should help you achieve your dream!

Here are some of the topics that will be covered in the 8 weeks :

lessons detailing ways to verify the quality, detail accuracy
and legal copyright of all your available resources.
(including resources from your computer, 'found' and purchased tools)
Industry Standards
File types and Saving sizes
Copyrighted Items and Fonts and Piracy
Checking your tools
Quality Control
Creating a TOU ,antipiracy ad, visual TOU
Standard Product Packaging and Logo Creation
Color theory and color palettes
Making sure that your monitor correctly adjusted
Defining your style,
Finding Inspiration
suggested creative areas to explore
Essential items for a good kit
Preview Making
Product Packaging and Logo Creation
Kit naming and standard file naming
Product pricing
Writing a product description
Blogging 101
Promoting your Designs through all available means
(Creative Teams, and all other advertising areas)
Creating 'blinkies' and banners
Basic design principles for the following items:
creating a brush
creating a pattern
creating a texture
creating an overlay
making a paper using all of these techniques
creating some standard basic elements and the
basic techniques of creation that can be applied to create
hundreds of others
Critique and limited one on
one coaching is available
creating a kit from beginning to end
with critique using all lessons applied
FTP basics
applying to a store
Question and Answer period in each lesson and
One on one tutoring for additional design related questions is available as well.
Numerous links to online resources available to assist you as a designer

TO SIGN UP e-mail me (Sherah K) directly at skrapperdigitals@yahoo.com

Yahoo instant messaging service will be used for One-on-One coaching services and chatrooms for this course.

darlingina
09-01-2008, 11:23 AM
This sounds awesome. I'm gonna give this some serious thought and maybe have to do some begging for the $. When will the firs session start, or did you say and I just missed it?

http://www.cilmsnagsandtags.com/tags/1023.gif (http://www.cilmsnagsandtags.com)

kimberkatt
09-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Wow!! What a great opportunity!! I would totally LOVE to be a part of this, however, being so close to the holidays, I have to save every penny I have for gifts!! I have a very large family and very small income!! LOL!

Will you be offering this course again in the future?!! :)

Amberpony
09-01-2008, 05:03 PM
This sounds like a lot of info for the $

I will have to look into wether or not my PS7 will work on my Vista OS. At least the software came out of hiding yestarday. he he he Is PS7 going to be good enough or will I need CS2 or 3 - I assume that PSE6 is not good enough for this course.

I am real sure about loading Yahoo mesenging onto my Vista OS either.
I have been trying to avoid all these extra programs.

This does sound like you are offering some good knowledge. I keep haunting your info on this. Hmm Getting closer to signing up.

Diana

SkrapperDigitals
09-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Karne and Darlingina, I had listed the first session as starting on the First, but since the Birthday bash opening was the same day I think I will give it a few days (until the 7th) to let others to see and join in, with the first class starting on the 8th and, kimberkatt, the course will be set up on a rotating schedule with new sessions starting every 2 weeks. Yes, Amberpony, PS7 will be perfect :-) (in fact that is exactly what I design with :-)

Pacifika
09-01-2008, 08:44 PM
What about GIMP? I can usually figure directions given for PS out and convert to GIMP but not always.
I am really considering this. That's a lot of very useful info and I'd really like to start designing. I just don't have the funds to get PS7. GIMP by the way is free.
Question 2 How do we pay? or did I just miss that.
Thanks

MoMo
09-01-2008, 10:02 PM
this would be awesome,, maybe after the 1st of the new year I can do this

SkrapperDigitals
09-02-2008, 12:45 AM
The payment for this course will be handled through the store and should be available for purchase tomorrow (though, remember, courses don't start until the 8th) i have heard of Gimp but sadly, I am not all that familiar with using it, if you consider yourself to be an advanced user I am fairly certain that you should be able to modify the tutorials to suit your needs, although, without extensive knowledge of that program, i cannot say for sure. A great deal of the course material deals with non-program specific information so that would not be a 'translation' issue at all. I hope you join in! :-) One of the features that makes this course unique is that if you have a particular question that is not covered in the material I will do my best to search to find the answer for you (even if I don't know it myself) and give you the best possible information I can find (my Library clerk work history is showing, I know.. LOL :-)

Karne
09-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Oh that helps a LOT!!! ok... i'm off to look for money :) thanks for doing that!!

Karne and Darlingina, I had listed the first session as starting on the First, but since the Birthday bash opening was the same day I think I will give it a few days (until the 7th) to let others to see and join in, with the first class starting on the 8th and, kimberkatt, the course will be set up on a rotating schedule with new sessions starting every 2 weeks. Yes, Amberpony, PS7 will be perfect :-) (in fact that is exactly what I design with :-)

O2BNGdHope
09-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't know the difference between PS7 and CS2. I have Photoshop Elements 5. Is this good enough to take the course? If it is, I will snap this offer up in a heart beat! This is exactly what I've been looking for. You find tutorials but nothing this comprehensive in matters of digital designing and becoming a designer. Great course, even if PSE5 isn't good enough.

SkrapperDigitals
09-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I believe there are a few features of Elements that would not be compatible with the course material, though I am fairly certain that there should be a workaround for those. If you would like to try, I'll do my best to help you :-)

Pacifika
09-02-2008, 11:03 AM
You are so good at answering questions. I have some money set aside for just this sort of stuff. Thanks so much for doing a class.
I'm really excited!:D:D:D (I wish we had a smiley that hops up and down.):D

katlen124
09-02-2008, 11:29 AM
when I have the money, I don't have the time. Now is the no money cycle ...

Cindyrelly
09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
The payment for this course will be handled through the store and should be available for purchase tomorrow (though, remember, courses don't start until the 8th) i have heard of Gimp but sadly, I am not all that familiar with using it, if you consider yourself to be an advanced user I am fairly certain that you should be able to modify the tutorials to suit your needs, although, without extensive knowledge of that program, i cannot say for sure. A great deal of the course material deals with non-program specific information so that would not be a 'translation' issue at all. I hope you join in! :-) One of the features that makes this course unique is that if you have a particular question that is not covered in the material I will do my best to search to find the answer for you (even if I don't know it myself) and give you the best possible information I can find (my Library clerk work history is showing, I know.. LOL :-)

Should we just look for this in your store and go through the normal check-out process? I am going to take the plunge!

I am not gonna let 3 lousy storms ( Hanna, Ike and Josephine ) get me worked-up... did I mention I live about 45 Min. from Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral Florida? Come whatever the weather I will find a way to get my homework done!

This is sooooo exciting!

TTFN....

Amberpony
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I believe there are a few features of Elements that would not be compatible with the course material, though I am fairly certain that there should be a workaround for those. If you would like to try, I'll do my best to help you :-)

What OS are you running PS7 with?

Joba2
09-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Are you ever going to repeat this class? I sure hope so
I have no designs to become a professsional designer but this class looks like it has so much information that would be valuable for any digiscrapper to know. Making one's own kits & or elements would be terrific
Right now it is too much for me to take on but it sure looks like the most valuable class i have ever seen offered.

Joba2
09-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Gosh, I gotta think alittle harder about maybe signing up for this class. I am on a CT team & it sure would help my designer if I understood better how things work-to make blinkies, banners etc. this class would be good for Ct's too!!

SkrapperDigitals
09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Amberpony I am running Windows XP on my pc. :-)

Joba2 Yes, I plan on having a rotating course schedule with newer sessions starting every 2 weeks to a month apart. (depending on the class sizes) Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging comments! :-)

SkrapperDigitals
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79&products_id=1682

Cindyrelly
09-02-2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79&products_id=1682

Wooo Hooo! I did it :) I signed-up! I agree with Joba2 that even though I have never wanted to be a designer there is still a lot of information that would be very useful to me in my web design pursuits and my own scrapping needs.

I can't wait to get started :))

SkrapperDigitals
09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Yayyy Cindyrelly!! :):):)I can't wait to see you in 'class' !! :-)

kimberkatt
09-03-2008, 12:04 PM

AWESOME!!!! I will definitely be taking this course after the holidays!!! I just got PS7 as an early b-day gift, I'm so excited! I've been working with PSE5, so I have to better acquaint myself with all the new features in PS7! Thank you so much for offering this course, Sherah! :)

SkrapperDigitals
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I look forward to seeing you in the class, what a great birthday gift that was, btw! :-) awesome! :-)

Amberpony
09-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Well I will talk to DH again tonight and see if I can get PS7 going again in my old Laptop. I really want to do this. Heres to hoping I don't kill the old Laptop in the process :p

Hope to be signing up tomarrow.

A Friend wants to pay for the class. :D
But life happened big time today and the old laptop that runs PS7 is reminding me why I got a new Puter last fall. :rolleyes:
I am going to give that old timer another talking to and see what tomarrow brings There is still time to sign up right.;)

Karne
09-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm all signed up and paid and SO excited!!!! :)

O2BNGdHope
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, I'm signed up.....let's see how far I can get with PSE. I still don't understand something. Is PS7 an older version of the CS2/3? I searched photoshop but only saw Elements and CS3. Maybe I should look into PSP as I can't afford the CS2/3 software. Looking forward to the class! Will email you later after I check my Yahoo Messenger. Haven't used it in ages. I always use AOL messenger.

LOL! I'm in the eastern panhandle of WV, Skrapper! How far away are you? I may need you standing over my shoulder on this. LOL!

kimberkatt
09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, I'm signed up.....let's see how far I can get with PSE. I still don't understand something. Is PS7 an older version of the CS2/3? I searched photoshop but only saw Elements and CS3. Maybe I should look into PSP as I can't afford the CS2/3 software. Looking forward to the class! Will email you later after I check my Yahoo Messenger. Haven't used it in ages. I always use AOL messenger.

LOL! I'm in the eastern panhandle of WV, Skrapper! How far away are you? I may need you standing over my shoulder on this. LOL!

Yes, PS7 is an older version of PhotoshopCS. I just purchased mine about 2 weeks ago through e-bay for about $90 plus shipping.... best deal I found, I couldn't pass it up!! :) It doesn't have all the extra features that CS has, but as a starting point, it's perfect!! And, I've heard that many designers create on PS7!! I've been using PSE5, which is a great program, but I wanted something that worked a little better with actions, curves & channels! PSE5 doesn't offer these options, unless you do a little "reprogramming" or buy plug-ins! :)

Amberpony
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Yes, PS7 is an older version of PhotoshopCS. I just purchased mine about 2 weeks ago through e-bay for about $90 plus shipping.... best deal I found, I couldn't pass it up!! :) It doesn't have all the extra features that CS has, but as a starting point, it's perfect!! And, I've heard that many designers create on PS7!! I've been using PSE5, which is a great program, but I wanted something that worked a little better with actions, curves & channels! PSE5 doesn't offer these options, unless you do a little "reprogramming" or buy plug-ins! :)

When you get PS7 down you can use it to upgrade to CS3 for just $200. So that was $90 well Spend. :) Congrats
I was looking at mine last night and Wow I had forgotten all the great goodies in it.

Amberpony
09-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Well I want this class so bad I can taste it! :D
I even have someone to pay for it & DS is going to try & fix the old laptop that runs PS7
But Life happened Big Time and I have to wait. :eek: :( Hopefully just until the next one. :)

Please PM me with the next 2 start dates so I can figure out the soonest I can join in! :D

Diana

Joba2
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
If I am not mistaken PaintShopPro does about 95% or more of what the full version of Photoshop does for only $100 vs $600 or more.Is this correct?

kimberkatt
09-06-2008, 12:52 PM
When you get PS7 down you can use it to upgrade to CS3 for just $200. So that was $90 well Spend. :) Congrats
I was looking at mine last night and Wow I had forgotten all the great goodies in it.

:eek: Are you kidding?!! I had no idea I could use it to upgrade to CS for so little $$$!! I guess that was a good decision after all!! Now to convince my DH!! ROFL!! :p

Catsrul
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
WOW! I definitely want to do this course, but I didn't quite understand if it is being offered for PSP yet or just PS7. I use PSP9, is the up and coming course on the 8th going to be compatible with PSP?

-Autumn

SkrapperDigitals
09-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Catsrul I am working with a PSP knowledgeable assistant who will be 'translating' the information in the course for me as well as answering some questions that you may yes, it should be PSP friendly by the 8th. :-) Amberpony The next available course dates will be October 6th and November 10th
O2BNGdHope I am in the North Central WV region (Marion/Harrison Co.)
Glad to see another Mountaineer! LOL :-)

Lori11941
09-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I've never used CS or PS, so I can't compare, but I love my PSPX2, and we got it super cheap, around $35. My sister searched for OEM versions, which is the same software, but without the big box and the thick manual, and then ordered copies for all the main computers, since the price was so good. I'd been using PSP 8, so I was already familiar with the software, but Diane never used it before. I found the manual at the library for her, and she never even opened it. She was able to figure everything out by just playing around and using the help screens.

Catsrul
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Ok, I went ahead and signed up through the store, downloaded messenger and sent Sherah an email. I'm so excited! Can't wait!

silver fae
09-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Hello all...

well I have signed up also... this looks like a great way to learn ....

rhonav
09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi - I guess I am a day late for your first class, but I would like to be in the next one. I don't think I will become a designer, but I want to learn all the things you plan to cover. I currently use PSE 6. I have PS 2, but haven't worked up the courage to use it yet.

How will I know when to register for the next class?

rhonav

SkrapperDigitals
09-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for asking! Great question! rhonav The next session will begin on October 6th 2008 but you can sign up at any time between now and then since classes may fill up fast :-)

HERE (http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79&products_id=1682) is the link to where to purchase the course :-)

Joba2
09-09-2008, 09:52 PM
So if I am understanding correctly--these classes are for full versions of photoshop & paintShopPro .Cn photoshopelements users do the classes?

SkrapperDigitals
09-10-2008, 07:30 AM
In this current session there is a Photoshop Elements User. So, yes PSE users may take the course, just a few of the suggested tips or tutorials might be a little different for them. :-)

ladybug987
09-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Sometime next year I would like to take the course. I doubt that I'll ever design for anyone except myself or challenges, but I'd like to know more about what is involved. I have PSP 8.1 and X2. I still am mostly using 8.1. What version do people need for the course?

SkrapperDigitals
09-11-2008, 02:10 AM
I have an assistant who helps with the PSP side of things and she said to let you know that psp eight will be adequate, and she can help you with it. :-)

Mitsybelle
09-13-2008, 01:44 AM
I would love to do this course but I have PSE6, which I'm still learning, lol :D I may have to wait until I upgrade :)

franbvm
09-13-2008, 02:06 AM
I use corel photo paint so i don't know if i can adapt this to software being used for this class.

kimberkatt
09-13-2008, 09:51 AM
In this current session there is a Photoshop Elements User. So, yes PSE users may take the course, just a few of the suggested tips or tutorials might be a little different for them. :-)

Oh wow! That's great!! I mostly use PSE5, but I do have PS7. It will be great to learn on both! I'm planning to do this course sometime after the Holidays! :)

SkrapperDigitals
09-23-2008, 01:25 PM
I have great news everyone!

with a few changes we have been able to make the design academy more flexible for the students! Now the course will be available to anyone at any time with no set class dates! (you can jump in now if you want!) additionally it will be set to be completed 'at your own pace' there are a ton of new features to the course such as a fully featured course website with online quizzes, lessons, chatrooms, associated course resources, galleries, student blogs, question center forums for each lesson and more! :-)

Mitsybelle
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for this :)

kimberkatt
09-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I have great news everyone!

with a few changes we have been able to make the design academy more flexible for the students! Now the course will be available to anyone at any time with no set class dates! (you can jump in now if you want!) additionally it will be set to be completed 'at your own pace' there are a ton of new features to the course such as a fully featured course website with online quizzes, lessons, chatrooms, associated course resources, galleries, student blogs, question center forums for each lesson and more! :-)

Oh, wow, wow, wow! This sounds fantastic! I can't wait until I can take the course! :)

O2BNGdHope
10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Just wanted to pop in here and put in my two cents. I am taking this course and I'm the PS Elements 5 user. I LOVE this course. It's very high on the "designer" information. The "behind the scenes" stuff you need to know about quality, creating your logos, how and where to start, how to define "your" style. But you also get the tutorials on how to make your own elements, brushes, patterns, etc. I have had no problems as yet with this course so PSE users, jump in! The water's fine! LOL! Sherah has been so very helpful. She's my favorite "teacher" and no, I'm not angling to be "teacher's pet". LOL! This is the perfect course for those newbies to designing. I highly recommend it!

SkrapperDigitals
10-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your two cents! :-) I am really glad you are loving the course! I am pretty happy with how well all the students are doing so far too! It's been great fun to get to know all of you a little better as well! :-)

Sherah :-)

Auntie Social
10-19-2008, 08:26 PM
I signed up today and I'm so excited to get started! I have great expectations and from what I've read here I won't be disappointed :)

Karne
11-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I've finished the course, and I simply cannot recommend it HIGHLY ENOUGH!!! I learned so much from Sherah , she is an awesome teacher. If you ever wanted to get into the design business you better take this course. You couldn't have a better start.