PDA

View Full Version : Slight problem...

tiza126
10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
...My hard drive is full!!! :eek: I have completely filled my 55GB hard drive with digi-scrapping kits. Not counting all the templates, quick pages, completed LOs, learning materials, CU items, and calendars that I have saved on a second hard drive.

Now what do I do?? Start getting rid of some kits that I rarely use....or buy another bigger hard drive?? Or I guess I could try to stop buying so many new products :p

What do you all do when you run out of storage space???

sharpli
10-17-2008, 02:51 PM
I bought a one terrabyte HD - it's about half full. Yeah, really! Just with scrapping stuff.

Lori11941
10-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I burn my kits to DVDs. Then, I have a database where I catalog all my kits and what DVD volume it's on. When I'm looking for something to scrap with, I'll enter a few key words, pick the kit that fits what I'm looking for, find the volume number, and go grab the kit.

digimomdesigns
10-18-2008, 12:45 PM
WOW Lori, you are WAY to organzied!!! LOL

I would buy a larger external to free up your hard drive. I got a 320 gig one for less than $100 for my birthday (a WD Passport something or other), probably in the $70 range. The prices are coming down on them so you can get a big one for relatively decente price and then won't have to worry about it. Put it on your Christmas list maybe? I've gotten a new one every year for the last couple, I like to back up my photos and everything on them.

tiza126
10-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I might have to buy myself an early (as in this weekend) Christmas present to myself lol I just found a 640 GB external drive for $110! That should hold enough for me lol

digimomdesigns
10-19-2008, 11:58 AM
OUHH what a deal!!!!!:D

Ambowife Designs
10-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I agree here, I have an external hard drive 500gb and I would be lost without it, and my laptop runs so much smoother with the internal hard drive clearer. I would also like to put all mine on DVD but you have to make sure they are good DVD's like Archival ones cause I have found that other ones will lose info or photos, they just seem to drop off the disk. And then I am left with a disk full of nothing.
Hope you get a good one too. Mine is a WD Elements (Western Digital) 500GB and it was $120 australian Dollars. My next favourite storage device is my flashdrive for getting stuff from my laptop to Hubby's PC for printing.

kimberkatt
10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Lets see... I have a desktop that holds 75G, a laptop that holds 100G, an external that holds 300G, and about 65 DVD's filled with scrap stuff! LOL! I used to be a HUGE freebie junkie! :p

I was organizing them... okay, let me start over... I was TRYING to organize them with a spreadsheet, but Lori told me about the database she uses (thank you Lori!! :D ), and it's working marvelously!! I have all of my stuff that's on my laptop in the database already, just working on the rest! It's awesome because it shows you a thumbnail of the kit preview, which you can click to open up larger! Makes scrapping soooooooooo much faster, rather than searching through files upon files!

I back everything up to DVD's... I don't trust backing up to the Externals because I had one die on me and I lost a lot of my first layouts and some pictures!! And, it was less than a year old when it died!!!!

tiza126
10-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I need to start backing up all my scrapping stuff. I just have to find the right kinds of DVDs..... and the time to do it lol

kimberkatt
10-21-2008, 08:12 AM
I use the cheapest DVD's I can find. Usually a package of 100 for $25-$30. They don't come with the cases, but I have a DVD binder that I keep them all in! I bought the binder, originally, for my movies... but scrapping took over! LOL! I found them at Walmart for $20, and they hold up to 3000 DVD's!!! I usually only burn one copy of my scrapping stuff... but I burn 2-3 copies of my pictures! Scrap stuff you can replace, pictures you CANNOT!!!

I think that is why I try to print copies of all of my pics(the good ones). It's that "just in case" feeling. I know what it's like to lose memories! A HUGE box of my childhood pictures, artwork, schoolwork, awards, some Girl Scout stuff, etc. was accidentally thrown away when I was about 16 years old!!! My father was renovating the house, and he grabbed the wrong box, thinking it had plaster in it, and threw it away!! We didn't realize it until about 2 weeks later, so there was no getting it back! :( It's a very sad feeling to realize that you lost memories, especially of accomplishments in your life! This is one of the major reasons I took up scrapping, because I NEVER want my kids to feel that way!!

Lori11941
10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Here's what I do to help preserve my photos. I not only burn an extra copy, but I keep a copy at my sister's (which is now where I am too, but it made more sense before I moved in, lol). That way if, God forbid, my house burned down or blew away in a hurricane, there was an extra copy off-site. I get my DVDs from the wholesale clubs. I think I paid $15 for a pack of 50.

patchas
10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Oh gosh, I have two external HDs (500gig and 300gig) that are just about full. My internal 300 gig HD is almost full, and I have 140 DVDs of just scrapping kits (that does not include QuickPages, Layouts, Hugware/NitWits or Photos). The externals are just so I have kits/photos available to scrap with without having to look them up in the catalog and dig out the DVD. I make one copy of the scrapkit DVDs but always two or more copies of my photos. And, beware of keeping your only copies on an external drive! I have lost two external HDs. Both were without warning, and both were unsalvagable.

Amberpony
10-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Ok I caught 2 of you who lost EHDs what brand where they? Just Curious.
This thread is to funny if you think if we had all this stuff in paper version :eek:
But then think how we collected it all in such a short period of time. My old Collection (more then 2 years old) takes up hardly any space, so small a files that DH would be will to store them. But my New Stuff got me 2 EHD this year a 500GB & a TB to back everything I have up.

Some day I will go through my stuff and delete thing I know I will never use :eek: that will be a brave day for sure

Thanks for the laugh
Diana

tiza126
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Bought my fancy 640GB EHD. Hooked it up, and was all excited to start transferring files and having tons of space for new stuff. Well....... my computer doesn't like the EHD. It took me 3 tries to get the computer to recognize it without freezing. Now it takes an additional 2 minutes to boot up my computer. And, it's a little slow accessing the drive. Grrrr :mad:

It turns out that the EHD requires USB 2.0....which my computer should be configured for. But for some reason my computer isn't recognizing the 2.0 drivers, so it keeps dropping back to USB 1.1.

Which means I have to go out, spend more money for a special expansion board with USB 2.0 plugs, so I can make the EHD run smoothly.

Will the upgrading and money-spending never end????? :p

Toiny
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Wow Lori! What I wouldn't give for a copy of that database/catalog LOL...

I've got an external HD. Actually, I have two. One I back-up on maybe once a month and store in the shed (really) and one I've got piggy-backed to my desktop.

Amberpony
11-03-2008, 01:57 AM
I feel your Frustration!!!
My old Laptop had gotten that way. Every time I turned around I has to get another gadget to keep up with ahhhhh everthing!! in 2 years time we spend so much on external stuff I could have bought a nice Gaming Machine! One of those could really pump out the scrapbook pages! Anyways I put a stop to that and bought a new laptop around Thanksgiving and saved $500 because we bought it at Staples with a rebate then they had it on that sale when they first open just at opening the day after Christmas and all we had to do was walk in with the ad that afternoon and ask for price matching and we got money back even though I had my computer for 2 weeks already. :D
Pretty Cool! ;) I still a few things I bought for the other Laptop but most of that stuff was build into my new one so I didn't have to haul around so much stuff any more. :D

On the EHD thing did you partition your new drive. Partioning helps it start faster and makes it easier to defrag.