PDA

View Full Version : my downloads blow up

kitkat
08-25-2007, 01:33 AM
I love the freebies. I am very new at digital scrapping so I thought I would start with some freebies to see how it goes. I downloaded but when I open them my computer either says error and shuts everything down or it freezes. I'm running WindowsXP home and have run virus scans, spyware scans and have made sure I have all my updates. One time I did get a message saying that Windows was shutting down the files for my computer's protection.

Any Ideas? It looks like everyone else is able to use these files.

Thanks!

Sheri
08-25-2007, 01:58 AM
kat ya have me speechless on this one. Are you using the zip utlility that came with Windows or another one such as winrar or winzip? Have you check to see what your interenet security settings might be? Somethings the security settings alone will do things of this nature. Let me know..and we will figure it out. Hugs...SHeri

nighty
08-25-2007, 03:28 AM
did you try to download a freebie from somewhere else??
maybe the file is corupted??
after downloading tons of freebies,
yesterday was the first time i had a bad one,
after several reboots i found the bad one,
deleted it and redownloaded it,
after that everything worked fine

janalyn
08-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi,
Make sure to delete everything related to the corrupt file. That is very important. Next delete temp internet files. Then empty your recycle bin. You need to do all of this in this order to be able to download a new zip file. Sometimes the file just doesn't download correctly and this will fix the problem. Sometimes you may need to choose to download it into a completely different folder. Please do report back here so that we can con't to troubleshoot. :)

olga9999
08-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Try to do what Janalyn has told and try to download the file again after that. If you continue having problems of that kind it might be glitch with your antivirus software, so it could be a good idea to check with them as sometimes antivirus software gives false alarms, I mean, it tells you there is a virus when there isn't. You might have your security levels too high and that could be creating false alarms. If you have all the updates for the program and all the protection needed that could be cause. The other posibility might be conflicting files or programs, that your security programs are set up so that you cannot download some type of files or that one program is in conflict with another.

So the best course of action might be to ask the customer services of your security programs about it.

I hope this helps. :)

kitkat
08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
I had too many folders inside folders. I had a scrapping folder in my docs. When I unzipped the files they put a folder inside a folder in my scrapping folder. When I moved the actual files and deleted the folders they were fine. I guess it's probably time to upgrade my computer.

Thanks for the help.

olga9999
08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
I had too many folders inside folders. I had a scrapping folder in my docs. When I unzipped the files they put a folder inside a folder in my scrapping folder. When I moved the actual files and deleted the folders they were fine. I guess it's probably time to upgrade my computer.

Thanks for the help.

Glad to hear that you could sort that out and how you did it, as it might be of help to someone else. :)

Thanks for let us know about it. :)