PDA

View Full Version : Round 3 Q & A

Ambowife Designs
09-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Post your Round 3 Questions here Ladies :)

Tip from Toiny

In round 3 you are given a photoshop swatch... this, of course, is helpful only to those of you with photoshop

If you've never used swatches, they are fantastic for sharing palettes when doing a collab, store mega, or just getting opinions. With a swatch you know they are getting the right colors.

Simply download the swatch (I download into my downloads folder) then drag & drop onto your photoshop desktop. It automatically loads onto your swatch palette. You can also open your swatch palette, click the teeny-tiny dropdown arrow on the top right, and select "load swatch".

HTH's

Toiny

ChristinaP
09-18-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm guessing CU fonts are ok, but not dingbats?

Enchanted
09-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Is CU defined as anything purchased for making kits? or any stock images not our own?
What about for the previews? can we use a CU ok preview label?

Mitsybelle
09-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Ladies I'm sure Toiny will answer these questions as soon as she is able .... hold in there :)

Maurine Stettler
09-18-2009, 07:34 AM
I hope this isn't the first of many "dumb question" post I make! But here we go! Are the following allowed:

1) actions (for example, from Atomic Cupcake)
2) styles (any, or just those that come pre-loaded in the program)
3) shapes (same question as #2)
4) brushes (same question as #2)
5) overlays from others (textures only; I know patterns are out)

Kit name = Autumn Fest, or can it be different as long as we use the colors and overall theme?

Also, are all 3 papers to be patterned, or can 1 be a solid?

And last, any pointers on using a scanner? I have a nice quality PHOTO scanner, and I'm sure it's operator error -- but I can't seem to get a good quality scan of items I want to extract.

Ambowife Designs
09-18-2009, 07:48 AM
I've posted a how to for scanning HERE (http://www.stoneaccentsstudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51569#post51569) Maurine LOL Lucky I have had two emails about this in the past week and I just copy pasted from my sent email.

Toiny will have to answer the other CU questions.

PamNana
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Curious also about fonts - are the basic Microsoft fonts considered Commercial Use? When is a font "off limits" and is clip art ok (like line art that came with my Corel program - fruit, toys, design)? Can we extract a flower or object from a photo we've taken? Thanks! I also wonder about tools (add-ons, plug-ins). Mainly I want to clarify what CU does and doesn't mean.

EXCITED!

LauraMarie
09-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Ok, I need to know if no CU means nothing that can be purchased.
Can we use PS shapes and styles I have created? I learned how to do epoxy so I will want to use that this round.

Amberpony
09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I hope this isn't the first of many "dumb question" post I make! But here we go! Are the following allowed:

Kit name = Autumn Fest, or can it be different as long as we use the colors and overall theme?

And last, any pointers on using a scanner? I have a nice quality PHOTO scanner, and I'm sure it's operator error -- but I can't seem to get a good quality scan of items I want to extract.

Well you asked a lot of questions I wanted to ask. So to me they are good questions.
Anxiously waiting for Toiny to Reply

Toiny
09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
:pI knew I shouldn't have left today... but the house we saw was too awesome! Everyone please cross your fingers it works for us. I would be soooo nice to get out of this teeny hotel room.

Let's start answering:

Actions = NO, especially those amazing AC ones.
Styles = NO, except those pre-loaded & those you have made yourself.
Shapes & Brushes = NO, except those pre-loaded & those you have made yourself.
Overlays = NO
You may have 1 solid paper, you may even have 3 solid papers. Just be sure that the textures are then all different. Make sense?

What is okay is additional software programs, for example using both Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro, using ArtRage or even a plugin such as BladePro, FilterForge or Eye Candy.

I'm going to bend the NO CU rule a tiny bit for fonts. I certainly don't expect you to create a font on top of everything else. Please be careful with the pre-installed fonts on your PC. They are not all licensed for Commerial Use. Google any pre-installed font you want to use & check it's TOU.

HTH's,

Toiny

Court8133
09-18-2009, 01:11 PM
quick question, I think I know the answer but, is metal allowed this round?

PamNana
09-18-2009, 01:16 PM
AvBros Page Curl OK as a plug in?

Toiny
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
NO on the metal, unless it's part of the element (ie, a rake, or shovel, or something).

YES on AVbros Page Curl, that is a commercially sold Plugin.

Smooches,

Toiny

ChristinaP
09-18-2009, 01:30 PM
I think I need to investigate these Plugins!

JennCkDesigns
09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I saw the NO to overlays, but overlays we've made ourselves are OK, right? I didn't want to assume...

Also, what about PSP tubes?

Do we have to use the name "Autumn Fest?"

Toiny
09-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Overlays you make yourself are OK. In fact, I personally love texture on my papers.

PSP tubes. Hmmm. I'm not sure if any come w/PSP, but those would be okay just like shapes in Photoshop. Any you got outside of standard PSP would be a NO.

Yep, please go with Autumn Fest. I'm looking at how you display your kit name on the preview.

Toiny

I saw the NO to overlays, but overlays we've made ourselves are OK, right? I didn't want to assume...

Also, what about PSP tubes?

Do we have to use the name "Autumn Fest?"

Amberpony
09-18-2009, 02:21 PM
What about the Preview
Can we use a Preview Template that someone else made?

Maurine Stettler
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
This will be a good test of my random photography skills. I took a bunch of pictures of the ground outside the "beauty parlor" the other day after getting my hair cut. It wasn't for this purpose -- and they probably all thought I was crazy -- but now I can test these out! Thanks (I think!) for the challenge! : )

P.S. One other quick question: the instructions say "Use the palette provided. Black & white may be added, if appropriate, as a supporting color." If I do a striped paper, for example, and have a few thin black or white stripes, or lightly outline something in black or white, is that considered a supporting color?

scrapprincess18
09-18-2009, 02:52 PM
what about our own cu Items can i use cu items i have made my self and have for sell in my store

Toiny
09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Okey-doke.... let's see if I get them all, bug me if I forgot one:

YES on CU you created & are already selling somewhere else. The important part is that you created it.

NO on purchased preview template, please make or use your own.

YES on thin black & white stripes and element outlines.

Smooches,

Toiny

Court8133
09-18-2009, 04:02 PM
so the preview has to be CU free also or it just has to made by us? Because I made mine but I did use CU items.

PamNana
09-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Tubes do come with PSP, but you can also make tubes (create a pattern to draw with using the tube), much like a brush. (they aren't just used to stamp out saved images, but can be used on a path - and to draw with) A major difference is that you can paint or draw with a mulicolored "brush" as tubes can be saved with color. The chenille I used in the first round was made with a tube I created. ?

Overlays you make yourself are OK. In fact, I personally love texture on my papers.

PSP tubes. Hmmm. I'm not sure if any come w/PSP, but those would be okay just like shapes in Photoshop. Any you got outside of standard PSP would be a NO.

Toiny

Mitsybelle
09-18-2009, 04:52 PM
so the preview has to be CU free also or it just has to made by us? Because I made mine but I did use CU items.

The preview should be made with items YOU have created :)

Enchanted
09-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Great Googlie mooglie! im gonna have to take notes!
Thanks for answering all our questions!
~V

Amberpony
09-19-2009, 12:58 AM
3 Questions

1. Can You Have more then one Cluster Element.

2. If you use a tree can the trunk (bark / branches) be the natural color or does it have to be recolored to match the palette?

3. Are the Mountain Shadows in a Sunset Scene considered a enhanced black color or just off palette

Lizard Dau Designs
09-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Great Googlie mooglie! im gonna have to take notes!
Thanks for answering all our questions!
~V

GOOGLIE MOOGLIE????????????...HA HA HA HA>>>ROFL...way funnnnnnnneee...cheers liz:D:D:D:D:D

Lizard Dau Designs
09-19-2009, 06:24 AM
oops i am gonna be lizard less...lol..lol...lol..lol..cheers liz

beckmoore
09-19-2009, 09:29 AM
So are all filters OK?
Like machine wash and filters unlimited,Eye candy
Huggers
Debbie

Maurine Stettler
09-19-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm so new to all this -- I'm just learning more about filters! Old dog -> new tricks = me! Especially the OLD part! Happy Saturday, everyone!

Quick question -- sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it. For WORD ART, can the text be all BLACK, or does it need to be one of the colors? Ideally, I'd like to have the text black with some "stuff" around it in the colors, but won't use the black if it's not allowed.

katlen124
09-19-2009, 01:56 PM
I think she meant the preview template ...
The preview should be made with items YOU have created :)

Mitsybelle
09-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I think she meant the preview template ...

All of it to be made by yourself, the template and all the little bits :)

Mitsybelle
09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm so new to all this -- I'm just learning more about filters! Old dog -> new tricks = me! Especially the OLD part! Happy Saturday, everyone!

Quick question -- sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it. For WORD ART, can the text be all BLACK, or does it need to be one of the colors? Ideally, I'd like to have the text black with some "stuff" around it in the colors, but won't use the black if it's not allowed.

Black is fine for the wordart :)

Mitsybelle
09-19-2009, 03:36 PM
3 Questions

1. Can You Have more then one Cluster Element.

2. If you use a tree can the trunk (bark / branches) be the natural color or does it have to be recolored to match the palette?

3. Are the Mountain Shadows in a Sunset Scene considered a enhanced black color or just off palette

1. Yes but only six elements in total (this includes the clusters)

2. Must match the palette

3. I would say they are an enhanced black color (you may need to use your own judgement here) :)

Mitsybelle
09-19-2009, 03:39 PM
So are all filters OK?
Like machine wash and filters unlimited,Eye candy
Huggers
Debbie

This is what Toiny said WAS allowed:

What is okay is additional software programs, for example using both Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro, using ArtRage or even a plugin such as BladePro, FilterForge or Eye Candy.

:)

Flower Scraps
09-19-2009, 03:49 PM
What about small amounts of metals? For example - a silver staple or silver eyelet that is part of an element (not being used as a seperate element by itself)

Mitsybelle
09-19-2009, 03:52 PM
What about small amounts of metals? For example - a silver staple or silver eyelet that is part of an element (not being used as a seperate element by itself)

This is Toiny's answer:

NO on the metal, unless it's part of the element (ie, a rake, or shovel, or something).

:)

Maurine Stettler
09-19-2009, 04:03 PM
All the preview discussions are making me look at mine very carefully, so here are some follow-up questions (I'm turning into a worry wart!):

1) Do the same rules apply for fonts on our flattened preview (for example, our kit and blog name, kit description, etc.) -- we need to make sure they are OK for copyright? Or is that only necessary for word art or other elements that people can use individually? (hope that makes sense)
2) When I first starting designing kits and created my preview template, I found and have been using MuRa's Seamless Cylinder Filter (freeware) over my paper samples. Is it OK to use that for this round on my preview?
3) My "created by Maurine Stettler" doo-dad was made using some Atomic Cupcake actions. Is it OK to have that on my preview for this round?

All of it to be made by yourself, the template and all the little bits :)

Ambowife Designs
09-19-2009, 04:11 PM
All the preview discussions are making me look at mine very carefully, so here are some follow-up questions (I'm turning into a worry wart!):

1) Do the same rules apply for fonts on our flattened preview (for example, our kit and blog name, kit description, etc.) -- we need to make sure they are OK for copyright? Or is that only necessary for word art or other elements that people can use individually? (hope that makes sense)
2) When I first starting designing kits and created my preview template, I found and have been using MuRa's Seamless Cylinder Filter (freeware) over my paper samples. Is it OK to use that for this round on my preview?
3) My "created by Maurine Stettler" doo-dad was made using some Atomic Cupcake actions. Is it OK to have that on my preview for this round?

Answers
1) yes the same applies when it comes to fonts for your kit name, blog name, description etc.

2) MuRa is fine to use as it is a plug in like eyecandy, and the like
3) your brand ie the button with your designer name on it is okay to use. By this I mean if you have a flair you put on all your previews that has your name on it, that sort of thing

Hope that helps

Maurine Stettler
09-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks so much to all of you for answering so quickly!! It is very much appreciated! : )

Answers
1) yes the same applies when it comes to fonts for your kit name, blog name, description etc.

2) MuRa is fine to use as it is a plug in like eyecandy, and the like
3) your brand ie the button with your designer name on it is okay to use. By this I mean if you have a flair you put on all your previews that has your name on it, that sort of thing

Hope that helps

Ambowife Designs
09-20-2009, 06:56 PM
LOL no worries Maurine :)

CuddleBeez
09-20-2009, 08:49 PM
The font I used in my preview is decorative, but does the font count as a commercial use item?

Ambowife Designs
09-20-2009, 09:08 PM
What Toiny said regarding fonts for round 3

[quote\I'm going to bend the NO CU rule a tiny bit for fonts. I certainly don't expect you to create a font on top of everything else. Please be careful with the pre-installed fonts on your PC. They are not all licensed for Commerial Use. Google any pre-installed font you want to use & check it's TOU.[/quote]

so make sure the one you are using is permitted to be used commercially.

Ambowife Designs
09-20-2009, 09:09 PM
also I would list the font in your tou just to be on the safe side :) HOpe that helps

Ambowife Designs
09-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Tip!!! remember to check your spelling in your kits too ladies, nothing worse than a customer telling you about a typo on a layout or preview :)
I've been there :o

Veelana
09-21-2009, 02:04 AM
I used my handwriting - that should be super safe!

Enchanted
09-21-2009, 09:24 PM
grr.. gonna be a last minute entry here.. but i've got a question..
i was using art rage to create a frame..using the RGB color code from the hex palette but when i saved it..and opened it in PS it doesn't exactly match the color palette. can i still use the frame? or does it have to exactly match?

Ambowife Designs
09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Hmmm you could try desaturating it and then putting a color layer over it, try color, or overlay or soft light Hope that helps :)
As long as it is in the hue range of the color you should be okay, Toiny realises that styles and overlays effect colors, as long as it's still looking that tone Know what I mean?!

Ashkenazi
09-22-2009, 06:25 AM
l use PSP and l found that if you type the code for the colour into your swatch page then the colour came up when you wanted to colour a page you where creating. then you sould save that swatch to your selection of colours....Does this make sense?
Lynneyboo

Enchanted
09-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Lynneyboo, I would have used the hex code..but well.. art rage2 even paid version only allows for RGB color match not hex. which stinks.

Thanks Tracy, it's still close in color tone..just not an exact match.

Lizard Dau Designs
09-22-2009, 06:35 PM
grr.. gonna be a last minute entry here.. but i've got a question..
i was using art rage to create a frame..using the RGB color code from the hex palette but when i saved it..and opened it in PS it doesn't exactly match the color palette. can i still use the frame? or does it have to exactly match?

with art rage to make it super safe i would use the pallet and then make it grey scale be it paper or glitter and then recolour in psp with the proper hex codes so that the match was perfect...cheers liz