PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid what?

Mitsybelle
05-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Ok so let us know what you're interested in, I've done a printable Card that is my store as a freebie, it's just a matter of downloading adding your sentiment, printing and cutting out, what you do after that is up to you .... a bit of glitter here and a gem or flower there!

We'd really love to know what YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO ... so fill up this thread ladies! :DD

PamR
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I've done lots of hybrid items. My favorite to do is to make bookmarks and calendars with digital kits. It started with my grand son being crazy about space. I found an adorable kit and have printed an entire year of 12 x 12 calendar pages for him, each with photos of the people that have birthdays. I even bought a U Bind It system for the calendars. The bookmarks have been great, too. I personalize them for the kiddos and laminate them. They make great 'rewards' for good grades, good behavior, just about anything.

CatSlater
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
A friend of mine did some cute hybrid door hangers.

Mitsybelle
05-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Door hangers and bookmarks are always good, so are goodie bags or favour boxes :)

jimmyrose
05-07-2010, 04:39 AM
I make lots of cards and note pads. Each year as a Christmas gift for my family I make a calendar for my entire family (and I have a large exteded family) with birthdays, holidays, events and the such. I also bought a binding system just for the calendar. I have made treat boxes for birthday gifts and also printable iron ons for T-shirts. Thanks for asking.

allergy_mom
05-07-2010, 05:27 AM
As a natural-born clutter bug who is trying to learn how to "let go," one of the attractions of digi-scrapping to me is: I (and my honey!) know I won't be collecting more clutter to overwhelm me and my home. Well, at least it's all "virtual clutter!" So I would prefer hybrid projects that require minimal tangible elements (read: scissors, glue, tape, photo/gift/etc. to insert?). I have considered getting a laminator and some sort of binding equipment. But for now, it's just the computer and me.

allergy_mom
05-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Hmm... I've noticed a problem with my siggy in every post I've made today. Can anyone else see it? Any ideas on what could be the cause of this problem?

Mitsybelle
05-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Well I just saw it jump if that's what you mean (it could be that I'm just ready for bed, rofl) :)

allergy_mom
05-07-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm seeing the bottom half as a black rectangle.

Mitsybelle
05-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Oh no I don't see that at all, it looks fine to me, apart from the little jump but I'm finding that on a few things, lol :)

allergy_mom
05-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Thank you, now go ROYB
(roll onto your bed)!

Ambowife Designs
05-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Oh Pam don't you just adore the Bind it All, I bought one last year and am so eager to use it more. Such a great way to do the calendars hun, super job :)

I've done lots of hybrid items. My favorite to do is to make bookmarks and calendars with digital kits. It started with my grand son being crazy about space. I found an adorable kit and have printed an entire year of 12 x 12 calendar pages for him, each with photos of the people that have birthdays. I even bought a U Bind It system for the calendars. The bookmarks have been great, too. I personalize them for the kiddos and laminate them. They make great 'rewards' for good grades, good behavior, just about anything.

Ambowife Designs
05-08-2010, 08:53 PM
LOL Kelly your siggie looks fine to me too (and no jumping LOL)

Joanne K
05-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I like to use gift card holders. Our kids and grandkids are too big and far away for us to find STUFF they would actually LIKE, so we send them gift cards, and suggestions.

The pop up kind are really fun, but hard to find. Shaped or layered ones would be great too.

Family calendars are a great idea too.

Mitsybelle
05-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I really like these ideas Joanne :)

allergy_mom
05-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the siggy input - looks fine today... who knows!?!

I really like all the ideas everyone is giving in this thread, and the card you made is beautiful!
Just noticed there's a new progressive scrap going on - I'd better hustle over and get busy!

Char-D
05-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Paper flowers are really big right now. How about some templates for us to make them with our digi papers?

SkrapperDigitals
05-24-2010, 04:55 PM
oohhh what great ideas! i'm loving the paper flowers idea!

johnsonrj@q.com
05-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Apparently I was doing hybrid and did not even know it! I do the calendar thing as Christmas gifts. I have also made tote bags that have photo slots. On the tote bag I had all the daycare kids copy their hands with a sharpie and write their names. I then did the photos using digital scrap booking. Made them for the grandma's too.

crftymthr
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
When I entered the digital world back in 2005 I was asked to teach computer craft classes in the chat room of a popular site. The first chat I hosted...ever...had 98 show up. I wanted to run or cry, but I stayed and we had so much fun.

Some of the favorites back then were:
Paper purses (girls) or wallets (boys)-gift card holders

Recipe boxes to hold recipe cards. Would work well with Maurine's challenge.

Wrappers for many items such as Microwave Popcorn, Hershey bars, Life Savers,Gallon Paint Cans, Tea Bags, Suckers, etc.

Brown Bag Albums

Gift bag sets: decorate the front of a purchased gift bag and make a matching card

I think the fun part is trying to find ways to use all our beautiful digital kits not only for scrapping but for gift items, too.

I read a lot, but don't take part in anything anymore, but this caught my eye.

It will be fun to see what you come up with.

Hope my suggestions helped a little.
Carole N.

CM Silly
05-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Sorry! This very LONG! For me, the problem for me is that I want to be able to use what we make. ( I mean no disrespect to the lovely ladies that suggested some of these things.) I have never had a need for Microwave Popcorn, Hershey bars, Life Savers,Gallon Paint Cans, Tea Bags, Suckers, Paper purses or wallets and cutsie things for young kids. My son is 15 and my daughter is 19 ,so no more cutsie stuff. They would just tear up anything I made to get to the good stuff. lol I think..why bother. I have no friends ( long story ..happened when I was in a wreck and was so injured that I have suffered with constant pain ever since,so I am "not fun anymore"), so the only person I send things to is my mom who lives far away from me. My husband could care less too. None of them would notice the pretty thing on the chocolate...just the chocolate. lol I guess I could use the tea bag thing once in a while for my mom and the same with a card. I have quite a few bookmark already,but I guess I could make one for my mom, myself,and my daughter once in a while. I could make an insert for a coffee cup/tumbler for my Dad. Have you guys seen those? I could make a calender for myself ,mom, and maybe my daughter once a year. Also ,we could make digital pieces for any of those ready to decorate items that scrapbook stores/craft stores tend to sell,at least they do in America. I think Oriental Trading.com has a nice evenly priced assortment of these items. I see a lot of designers in digi scrap sites make templates for making little gift boxes or whatever can be made out of a standard sheet of paper 8.5x11 and then everyone does one for the hybrid challenge. I guess we could try to make stationary that could be printed as need. That would be nice to have your own personalized paper and envelopes. I saw someone make game boards out of paper for her kids to play in the car on summer vacation. She made a basic template for a tic tac toe and one for the "lines and boxes "game. I don't know the real name for the game and it may only be a game played in America. You know ,it's the game when you draw an even number of dots on a page (I forget how many rows and columns worth of dots there has to be,but I can find out.) and you and an opponent each taking turns drawing on small line that connects 2 of the dots either horizontally or vertically,but not diagonally. The object is to make the most boxes a possible.You have to be careful not to help your opponent by the position of your line. For instance, if there are already 3 lines in an area and it's your turn,then you want to place your line between the last set of dots,so that you put the last line to form a box w/4 equal sides.The maker of the box gets to put his/her initial in the newly formed box. The winner is the one with the most boxes. She made 6-8 tic tac toe boards on one sheet of paper and then she printed out a bunch of sheets. Carefully cutting each tic tac toe board in to 6-8 same sized squares, she stapled all of them together in booklet form. Also,she had a sheet of dots a .25" apart to print out evenly over a standard sheet of paper, then she quartered the paper and stapled (or you could make a cover for the full sheets and bind it)all of them together in a little booklet. We could go a step further and decorate these game boards with digi kits,print both of the full decorated sheets out on thicker card stock ,maybe 80 weight, laminate it or cover in clear adhesive drawer liner, and give each of the kids an erasable dry pen in different colors and eraser for a board that you can mark up and clean off for many hours of fun. To make the boards more stable, you could also print the boards out on white adhesive sheets that can go through the printer,stick it on to book board (old torn up kids books like old Golden??? Something books... the ones with nursery rhymes and little stories printed out between thick hard covers) or cardboard/chipboard ,and then laminate it. If you don't like those to games, I have a list of games that will work the same way on these game board like Hang Man. I have a bunch of ideas for useable "Hybrid" projects,that I have never seen done before,so just ask if you want more. This should get us going though. Mistybelle,I will compile a quick list of what has been listed so far to make it easier for you.

The Studio's Hybrid Project Ideas:

1.Microwave Popcorn Covers
2.Hershey Bars Covers
3.Life SaversCovers
4.Gallon Paint Cans (like decorate them to hold your scrappin' or card making supplies)
5.Tea Bag Gifts
6.Elementary School Projects (like covers for suckers -paper purses or wallets...)
7.Cards
8.Card Collection Holders (like paper purses, bags,and boxes to hold all of your cards)
9.Stampin' Up Projects (many can be converted to use digital supplies)
10.Laminated Game Boards (like Tic Tac Toe, Lines and Boxes, Hang Man etc...)
11.Calendars
12.Bookmarks
13.Patterns For Gift Boxes
14.Gift Card Holders
15.Kid's Chore List (Laminate it and use a dry erase pen)
16.Personalized Stationary and Decorative Matching Envelopes
17.Reusable Personalized Bingo Boards (Laminate a decorated blank bingo card and let
the kids put the appropriate numbers where they want to before the game starts
with a dry erase pen. Make a new card every game.)
18.Decorated Score Board for Card Games (like Spades and others)
19.Ready To Be Decorated Products (like decorative inserts for coffe mugs/tumblers,
clock faces,binder cover inserts for college and high school, notebooks , journals,
calendars,pocket calendars,chipboard word books
20.Tote Bags/Purses W/Pictures Openings (You could even advertise for your business
in a layout made for the size of the opening.)
21.Recipe Cards

If I forgot anyone's idea,I'm sorry. I hope this helped someone.

Joba2
06-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I would love to know how to take regular 3 ring binders(there is chipboard under the plastic covers) & decorate them so can be used as books for my printed LO's using sheet covers ( with the 3 holes)for the Lo's to put in the binder. I already decorated a binder for my Christmas LO's & it turned out ok.Had to fix it up with stickers & ribbons etc. I do print out LO's at Shutterfly & Vivio but once printed you cannot add to it & I often do not have enough LO's for a theme.that is why I want to make different books-so I can add Lo's as I go along.

I would love to know how to make templates to make envelopes. The only cards I make now have to be taped to a present cause I have NO envelopes to mail them

allergy_mom
06-09-2010, 08:07 AM
I have a mint tin that I bought my husband. It's so cute - has Mr. Funny on it (does anyone remember the Mr. and Miss people representing different traits? They seem to be making a comeback). I hate to throw it away, because the only reason I bought the mints was for the cute tin! So I thought it would be fun to make a mini fold-out album to pull accordion-style out my tin, and re-gift it to him again (surprise!). Only thing is, I'm feeling kind of intimidated about figuring out how to measure it and design my album accordingly... Open for suggestions!

CathyC
06-14-2010, 10:32 AM
I already do hybrid so anything is fine with me, i have an etsy store
http://www.etsy.com/shop/scrapsationalhybrid
hugs
Cathy

JHawk
06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm interest in what are called folder games. At school you make up different games that all the pieces fit inside a file folder and the folder is the game board. I found one on the internet and it was ladybus with dots on their wings. The child counted the dots and then placed the appropriate number next to th3e ladybug.

Ambowife Designs
06-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Oh wow some awesome ideas here ladies, I am so wanting to get into this but don't really know how (sad I know LOL) Hey CM Silly I remember that lines and boxes game, no idea what the real name was but I remember playing it as a child.

Joba2
06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Learning to make paperdolls would really be fun!
I once made paperdolls with my grandkids faces on the dolls.They liked them but they were too small to really enjoy.I loved to try it again now they are alittle older. I seem to remember that it was harder to make the clothes etc than the dolls

Songbirdy
06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi,
Newbie here, well not just here in relative terms new to scrapping as well :) My introduction to scrapping was probably a less traditional path in that I utilized the materials, ideas into digital slide shows - a scrapbook storyboard. Initially, I did this to record my life here in the USA and 'share' it with my family and friends in the UK. Hence, rather than just send them a photo disc ( which really does get boring for them after the initial viewing) I made use of some software programs, added music, special effects and of course each slide was presented in a LO - and viola! I had a scrap book storyboard DVD. My family and friends loved them. Not only are they easier to share and I can make as many copies as I need for everyone who wants them, but also because of the format they are instantly more accessible for them. I have found over the time I have been doing it that ( and of course the distance between us) it has proven to be an ideal way to maintain those family links and share my life with them :) That, as I say was my initial introduction to scrapping. More recently, I have made use of the things I have learned to do other scrap digital storybooks.

In particular, at a friends recent wedding here in the USA there was a disaster with the video of the BIG day - months in the planning ( I kid you not it was a like Hollywood production! lol), $$$$'s spent, and her sister accidentally re-recorded over the camcorder tape at the reception! My friend ( the bride) was distraught. She had saved on having a professional photographer there because the whole thing was going to be recorded, and she would get to re-live it over and over again by watching the DVD ( or so she thought) In an attempt to salvage what good I could out of this I suggested we gather up all of the photographs taken by the guests and I would make her a scrapbook storyboard DVD slide show. Long story a bit shorter, I did this. I won't lie and say it was easy, it was an enormous project ( far bigger than the 8-10 minutes DVD's I had been doing) plus of course I really wanted her to be pleased with it. I made great use of the LO ideas I had seen on different galleries (obviously I had learned that I needed to adapt them to suit my format - there's just some things that will not work in a screen visual format as they do in a printed one) and as I have no real formal training it has always been a case of trial and error. :) Anyways the end result was ( even if I say so myself) probably far better than the hand-held, shaky recording she would have got had it not been accidentally erased. She was a VERY happy bride, and I was a lot more experienced.

So apart from 'sharing' that with you all, what is the purpose of this post and why this section? Well, I saw the title of the thread and thought to myself .. hmmmm...Hybrid, sounds about right for what I'm doing :) Happen there's other on here doing the same and we could pool ideas, experiences and help each other. Like I said I am very new scrapping and I am eager to learn as much as I can. In truth this is the only thread I have read on this board ( and I jumped right in! lol ) for all I know you have a section on this and all I have done is bore you death with this post ( yep that's me feet first as usual! ) Apologies if that is the case, and someone just tell me to shut up and point me in the right direction. No matter, I've just spent the last 30 mins typing it with my two finger speed, so I figure I may as well just post it. If nothing else at least I've said "hello' and introduced myself :)

Ambowife Designs
06-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Wow Songbirdy that sounds awesome, I love that idea of doing digital video storyboards of your layouts for your family and what a great friend you are doing one for your friend's wedding, I can imagine how she felt when she discovered the video had been wiped (OMG) Welcome to the studio and thank you for sharing your ideas with us all :)

allergy_mom
06-30-2010, 04:24 AM
I love this idea, Songbirdy! Swap locations, and I'm in the same situation - U.S. to Ireland, and I've been emailing my LOs as flat images. I love the ida of putting them together as a slideshow (which we have done before after Christmases, family adventures, etc.), but I've never made LOs specifically with that purpose in mind. Hmm... Maybe a bragbook/DVD year in review would be a great Chrismas present for the grands and greats.... then they could have the LOs in both formats, for different bragging circumstances (not always handy to carry a DVD in your purse or jacket pocket to share at a moment's notice, lol!)
If anyone else (good with making templates) likes this idea (granted, we'd have to have the DVD creating software), I'd love it if someone could come up with a way to triple hybridize this idea. As I type this, I'm imagining some kind of template for making a case or packet or something (paper/digi hybrid) to hold my bragbook and DVD (AV/digiscrap hybrid), and a DVD label template to match. (I say template, because everyone's projects would need their own style, according to the type of photo theme they have - wedding, year in review, 1st bday, family vacation, college years, growing up, etc.) Does that make sense?

CathyC
06-30-2010, 10:21 PM
I do hybrid but its tangible. I have been trying to do stuff for zip i did some but not enough

Ambowife Designs
07-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Wow Kelly neat ideas hun, you should start designing hun :)
not long till the Designer competition for 2010 you know, never to early to start practicing :)

CM Silly
07-07-2010, 04:01 PM
I have been seeing notebooks that you can personalize using digi files that you print out and run through the zyron machine for adhesive to decorated notebooks. I was looking at the website for a catalog company here in the US that sells a lot of undecorated things that you can buy and decorate with digi stuff. It's called Oriental Trading Company. They have a ton of stuff for arts and crafts with your kids to traditional scrapbooking and stamping .

What type of paper is the best to use when printing digi stuff through your home pc?

allergy_mom
07-08-2010, 02:05 AM
LOL, thanks, Tracy, what a thought! A project like that is way to technical for me; I get dizzy at the thought of all the numbers and measurements involved! Maybe I need to team up with someone... I can come up with the ideas, and they can do the math, lol!

CM Silly, you'd really need to look at review and tips, etc, for your particular printer and print jobs. Every printer is different on different types of paper, so you might even try a visit to a local office paper supplier and see whether they'd give you samples to try out with a trial project. A lot of it's up to personal preference - for example, my husband and I would have different choices, were we to discuss the subject together!

DorothysCreations
08-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I've been doing hybrid crafting and love it. Mostly I've been making cards but I recently got a set of Copic markers and have been designing digital stamps. I've also created some digital cutting files that you can use on machines like the Cricut and CraftRobo. As soon as I get my craft room set back up I can finish a couple of projects I started before the renovations on my house took over...lol. I am using digital scrap kits to decoupage a wooden tray for my bathroom and a set of flower pots.

When it comes to paper I agree with Kelly. Everyone has a preference and you have to take your printer model into consideration. I use an Epson inkjet that prints photos so it has 6 colours of ink. I don't buy super expensive paper though but I don't buy the cheapest either. I buy the store brand but the next quality up from the cheapest. I also love the thin cardstock that I get from Staples.

poki04
08-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I started making calendars for family and friends about 6 or 8 years ago. They started out as paper creations, with digital photos, but they have over the years migrated to all digital and printed at home. My friends now start hinting about October that they WILL be needing a refill! (I've already started on two for 2011)

peonyblue
09-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Anything that can be printed or embellished is fair game for hybrid, IMHO. Labels, book covers, journals (and art journal pages), gift cards and wall art, even.

For me, it's not so much about the hybrid label as it is getting the most out of the stuff I buy. I mean, you HAVE it, and you have it in printable resolution, so why not USE it? LOL.

Big for me this month: bought some Bubble Jet Set (expensive, but it lasts a loooong time), and have been printing directly onto fabric. Makes the possibilities even *more* endless!

GoodGram
01-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Hybrid for me has grown to include my Silhouette digital cutter. (These do not use dies, so they are not die cutters like the Cuttlebug is) I can use my digital scrapbook papers to fill shapes just like I do in PSE, and my machine will cut them out for me. This week I made a 3d crib, a playpen, and a high chair to use as decor for the baby shower for my DIL and on the way baby girl. I put colorful mats in each by filling a shape with digi paper, then glued on some rhinestone and irock glam. Since I can use anything I design or buy or download from the web as something to cut out (no cartridges - yay!) I am having fun taking digital paper and elements and sending them through my machine to print and cut them out for me, then putting them to use in a whole new way. I've made and cut out gable boxes, other gift boxes, flowers to use on gift packages instead of bows, stencils for glass etching, cut vinyl text as labels on a lot of storage canisters, and a whole lot of other things. Hybrid means the ability to free myself from flat scrapbook pages forever and take crafting to a whole new level.

Toiny
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I suddenly need a Silhouette :D

I want more time to do these amazing projects. Re-reading this thread is really stirring some new creative juices! Great ideas Barbara.

Ambowife Designs
01-10-2012, 02:44 PM
They are expensive but you do save by not needing to buy cartridges. I think they run about $400 Australian dollars here, gulp! but there are none in the country at the moment I don't think. so I guess I'm pretty safe, my wallet is anyway LOL.

Georgedinah
01-14-2012, 10:46 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.135456943154607.18168.100000709066819&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=227900790576888&set=a.135456943154607.18168.100000709066819&type=3&theater
I LOVE doing pieces on canvas! I did a project for my daughter's graduation that is just STUNNING!!
HUGS
Dinah

duncklee5
04-03-2012, 03:59 AM
Basically the combination of two different things results in the development of a hybrid.In terms of a car, the use of a gas engine along with the use of an electric motor.These all examples define hybrid, in everything where we combine two different things to make some new thing is called hybrid.