PDA

View Full Version : Organising scrap kits

Maggi
07-23-2010, 03:05 AM
Hi everybody, I would like some suggestions as how to organize your scrap kits. Way back when I started collecting kits I used them to print out and make paper layouts. Now that I am doing digital Iíve started to rename them by adding the designerís name, since itís important to give credit. The problem is I have about 490 kits that are excluding templates, element-kits, cluster frames and quick layouts. I did download Picas3. Any suggestions?:confused:

camperchow
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Well, mine may seem like a lot of folders, but what I do is separate by site, designer, kit.
I do the site first so that I can use products from that site on their challenges. Then with in that site I do the designers there. (I like to use the designers products on the challenges they sponser if possible). And then by kit. Here at DSS (where most of my stuff comes from) I also have under the site folder a folder for Mega Kits, Clutter It Kits and Color Challenge Kits.
Within the kit folders I separate by elements, paper, alpha (if there is one) and TOUs.
I hope this hasn't been too comfusing. You can PM me if you want further clarification. I have been using just the folders in Windows, but have used Picasa2 for awhile and just found this easier for me.

Maggi
07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks, this seems like a good start. I shall see how far I get.

Min
07-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I use the same folder structure as Diane - but I'm also using a tagging system (first in PSE now in ACDSee) to assign tags to everything. That way it's easier to find something, say a blue ribbon. I also use tags for the sites since some designers sell at more than one site - like that I can find it for every one of their stores.
Hope that makes sense...

There's some more info about organising scrap supplies at DigiScrapInfo.com (http://digiscrapinfo.com/wordpress/category/organization/), useful even if you use a different program

Most important: Back up!!!! Better twice than once, hard drives and EHDs do fail!

Maggi
07-24-2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks Min I shall have a look at the tagging.

digides
07-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Just a tip for anyone who has their files tagged. Only move them from within the program that you tagged them or the tagging gets lost. I had all my stuff tagged in WLPG Windows Live Photo Gallery, than a few months later I burned it all to CD and moved it all to an EHD......lost all my tagging. Lesson hard learned!!!!

Angeltown
07-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I use ACDSee to tag everything as well. It's FABULOUS. A couple of notes:
* Make sure to backup your database every so often. It can get corrupted.
* digides, good tip! You can 'point' your database to a new hard drive though as long as you kept the same file structure. I had to do that when I moved to a new EHD. If you haven't retagged let me know and I'll see if can remember how to do it. :)

Cath_
07-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I have by designer and that not working, way to many and don't know what I have at all. Do have library's under window 7 with designer associated to the store which helps there, but not on knowing what I have. The freebies are under the blog, or parts for the other freebies. Oh I wish I could get order.

Maggi
07-26-2010, 01:28 AM
I have also started to make "contact sheets" that I print and keep in a seperate folder. I do it when I use a kit so that it is not to much at one time. If you use CS4, you must download a free plug-in. This helps to see what you've got.

mandak
07-27-2010, 09:13 AM
In regards to tagging, if there are any Mac users out there, I have a fun post about a built in tool on your computer that will help you organize your stuff. There is also some info built in about how I organize my stuff and some space saving tips I shared from my HD cleaning endeavor earlier in the month!

Tagging System for Mac Users: http://www.nibblesskribbles.com/2010/06/tagging-system-for-mac-users.html

Space Saving Tips/Tricks: http://www.nibblesskribbles.com/2010/06/space-saving-tips-tricks.html

Lori11941
07-30-2010, 09:43 AM
For the past four years, this is how I organized my materials...

I found a free database program by Sierra called FileAmigo (you can google it). It's very simple to set up a basic database that contains file name, designer, keywords, colors, whatever else you might search on, and previews, which can either be stored in the database or linked to the image on your hard drive. When I want something, like say a Christmas kit, I can just type in a quick search on Christmas and it'll bring up all the kits that contain Christmas in the file information, including thumbnails and where they're stored.

Now, however, I've embarked on a much more ambitious project, but it's sooo cool! My company signed some kind of deal with Microsoft that allowed us to purchase full, licensed versions, of all the Microsoft software that we use in the office for home use, for just $10! I already had Word and Excel at home since I'd bought a student version for the kids' laptop and desktop and it included a third license, so I put it on my machine. But the new package included PowerPoint and Access! I imported my old File Amigo database into Access and have been building a new database program around it. Now instead of keywords that I type in, I have click boxes that allow multiple values so they're the same in every record (as opposed to having a typo and not finding a kit that contains blue because I typed bleu). When I search for products I can search on multiple criteria without needing to worry about what order I'd entered it into the keywords field. I want an Easter kit that contains pink. lilac, yellow and has an alpha and glitters ... no problem.

I backup my scrapbooking files to DVDs on a regular basis. I've lost way too many products in the past year thanks to a faulty boot sector on my old computer (btw, Toiny, do you happen to have the Enaideel Scraps files on a backup somewhere?). Files are stored by DVD #, designer and product name. The DVD number is stored in the database to make it easier to find. I don't bother storing files by store name. Designers change stores all the time and sell at multiple stores. Trying to keep that straight would be a full time job.

Toiny
07-30-2010, 11:08 AM
LOL Lori... I think I do. Let me check the back-up to be sure. I'm not positive if it survived the Halloween Crash of '09 and then the migration to the new & improved server in December, but I think I did keep it all.

I LOVE Access. Before my venture here I worked in banking & built some databases (mostly CRM/contact management) using access. I'm doing some dbs'ing now for hubby's job. It's good to keep those old skills alive!

Smooches,

T