PDA

View Full Version : Best photo manger for digisupplies?

Joba2
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I moved some digisupples around out side of the program I was using( PhotoshopElements 7 Organizer) & now can't reconnect missing files etc. on & on.Spent days trying to fix & no longer want to try.Enough is enough!. I'm thinking to start over using a different program out side of Elements cause I heard too many tags in this organizer slows down the program. Bridge, Picasa or ACDSee are my choices but which one??
I hear Bridge ( I have an older version -CS3_on my computer & am just beginning to explore it) is a true browser & you never get the dreaded "missing file" but is it easy to tag stuff?
Picasa is FREE .Do you get the missing file business if you move stuff sround out side the program? I hear the latest version is very good & alot of scrappers use it for their supplies
ACDSee is used & liked by many digiscrappers. Is this the best way to go cause of ease of use for tagging & backing up etc?? I think you get the missing file business though.
I would just love to get any opinions or recommendations.

JW-DigiScraps
07-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I use Bridge for my CU organization and like it. The ONLY thing I dislike is that it seems a slow to me when loading a folder/collection/etc. But it is very easy to tag things and create Collections (groups) or Smart Collections (groups based on searches that auto update). I just wish it was a bit faster.

I've tried ACDSee twice, and I'm hopeless. I'm a techie person but for whatever reason the interface and logic just escape me with that one, so I've given up. I know lots of folks love it (Angel???), but I couldn't get it to feel right to me. I haven't used Picassa for tagging.

Another choice I can see working from my experience is Windows Gallery LIVE. (Please note this is something you download for free, it is not the version that is included free in your Windows operating systems.) Hummie did a tutorial series on using it for organizing supplies. I used Windows Gallery LIVE until I got Lightbox recently for my photos, and I can see it working for organizing supplies too.

http://blog.hummiesworld.com/2009/08/windows-live-photo-gallery-tutorials.html

I think it looks like a good method. I just have no desire to re-tag everything from Bridge, and I haven't taken the time to figure out if I would really need to or if there is a way to transfer the tags into Gallery LIVE. Maybe someday ---- oh around 2015 I'll get to it. :)

I don't tag my kits (just my CU) because I tend to be a one kit scrapper. I do have a couple of Collections (groups) in Bridge where I've put together some kits that go with a specific album I'm working on, and I browse in bridge using just the file structure to get to a kit and look at it (does a neat - show all in subfolders thing) and use that to scan a kit while working with it.

Hope something in there helps! Let me know if you have specific follow-up questions! happy to answer!

Angeltown
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Bridge is a true browser but at least in older versions you can't tag png files so it's useless to me for digiscrap supplies. Also it uses more memory on your computer so I tend to avoid it.

I love ACDSee. It will smoothly tag thousands and thousands of files. Once you discipline yourself not to move stuff around in other programs you shouldn't have a problem with missing files. It's super important you back up your database regularly though so you can restore it if need be. I have had mine get corrupted before in an older version.

I've never used Picasa.

Angeltown
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I use Bridge for my CU organization and like it. The ONLY thing I dislike is that it seems a slow to me when loading a folder/collection/etc. But it is very easy to tag things and create Collections (groups) or Smart Collections (groups based on searches that auto update). I just wish it was a bit faster.LOL we were both answering at the same time. :) Does Bridge allow you to tag png files now? I tried a couple years back and it would not...

JW-DigiScraps
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Bridge is a true browser but at least in older versions you can't tag png files so it's useless to me for digiscrap supplies. Also it uses more memory on your computer so I tend to avoid it.

You stalking me???? I type your name and there you are! LOL!

Bridge does tag .PNG files as of CS4 anyway, because I tag mine all the time and didn't know it couldn't! LOL! Probably does use up memory, I haven't looked to see what it's running at, but I'm not surprised.

Angeltown
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
:P yep stalking you BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Good to know Bridge has at least improved the tagging thing. I agree it slow moving though. I actually tried to use it for a while before I upgraded my ACDSee. There are some things I like about it (previewing more native Adobe file types for example) but I couldn't get over the slowness and other issues.

Plus ACDSee has some built in tools I use a lot. Like Bridge it will rename files in batches, but it will also do batch resizes, create nifty contact sheets, etc. Also it automatically previews transparent files on a neutral gray background which makes it super easy for me to see bits that are transparent not to mention helps to catch stray pixels etc. Just this morning I was double checking a kit and flipping through in ACDSee I saw a little white edge on an extracted CU bow I was using that I didn't catch in PS. Oops! But glad I caught it another way at least.

Joba2
07-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Well I guess Bridge is out for me then cause I have CS3 which I understand doesn't tag png files
I just read about Windows Gallery Live while searching online for photomanagers It got a good rating from pcworld as well as the lastest version of Picasa
I am wondering now the advantage of ACDSee over Picasa: if there is one??? ( Why pay for a program when free one does as well?)

JW-DigiScraps
07-29-2010, 08:42 PM
I think some of the advantages for those who are not ACDSee challenged like myself are listed in Angel's last paragraph above.

I'm the wrong person to ask--LOL! I haven't used Picassa for tagging much since it added that (just check it out quick), but the Windows Photo Gallery LIVE seemed more natural to me for managing and seeing tags if that helps any.

Try tagging 5 kits or so in one of the free programs and then using it for a bit as you imagine you might.

Regardless of what program you use, this web page (scroll down) has some neat examples of tag structures for organizing to get you started:

http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/acdsee-photo-manager/organizing-styles/

It also has a lot of great ACDSee resources if you go that route.

Joba2
07-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Oh thank you so much for all the info.I went to the sites you suggested & played the tutorials on how to use the programs. this was so helpful. I am sorry to be such a stickler on the what the differences on the programs are: but it is alot of time to tag supplies & I don't want to do it again for a long long time. I think I am going to go with Windows Live Photo Gallery for the main reason that you won't get that dreaded missing file business.I understand you cannot see font & brushes but there are other programs for that. Also PSD files I guess don't show but it is actaully better to save in tiff anyway for "archival" reasons & the jpeg for the PSD file is there so can see what the file is too
It's free & Windows will upgrade this product too.
WLPG seemed more like a true browser which I am more use to using.
But in the end it is that "missing file" business I just can't stand anymore. I know that if you only move stuff with in the program yu are ok .But knowing that I still managed to do it & screwed up my last organization in the Elements organizer.I can fix it with changing EHD letter etc but am afraid to do so ( too techy for me)& have found out that too many tags etc. causes the program to slow down. WLPG uses less ram.So I am going with an organization out side the my program Elements 7.
Well that is my story.
I'd appreciate any other comments anyone has to make especially if my reasoning is faulty regarding the different programs

Min
08-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Here's a link to a great tip to see the psd thumbnails in windows:
http://www.scrappersworkshop.com/quick-tip-tuesday-a-disapperaring-act

(If you have time, browse around, there's a wealth of info... :) )

Joba2
08-01-2010, 11:40 AM
FYI: correction to my above post_BridgeCS3 does show png files
So far I am loving WLPG.Fast.Fast enough so not even nec to tag everything. Low on ram.Easy to tag.
Just got to learn to use my ABRviewer & fontthing better & am all set
Now maybe I can do those Monday night chat whisper scraps with Ambowife!!! Without being organized it was kinda hard to do the famous MysteBelle's instructions to " use foliage on your page"