PDA

View Full Version : What is this File for?

ljd2007
07-26-2007, 03:12 AM
Hi everyone, I notice with the downloads of some files for eg. Julie's Butterfly Garden....there is a small file named .BridgeSort can anyone tell me what this file is for and if I need to keep it with the download folder? I have been puzzled about this for a while now and finally got up the courage to actually ask a question somewhere :)

Hugs - ljd (Linda)

ljd2007
07-26-2007, 03:13 AM
oops forgot to ask what is the ( ._.DS_Store ) file for too?

nighty
07-26-2007, 05:41 AM
i have no idea for what this file is,
but you donīt need it and you can delete it

ZeeP
07-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Yanno, I always delete those two files and that thumbs file out of a zip or rar when I first download it too. So far I've not had anything blow up cuz I got rid of 'em.
hugs, ZeeP

PA Grandma
07-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I think those are from the program that Julie uses. I think I checked a while back ago when I first found her and found that there is usually the same amt of each. (ones that open and ones that don't) I'm not positive but I think they are named the same except for the begining) I go in and delete those and have NEVER had a problem. Hope this helps. I'm gonna go to my recycle bin and pull one out and check it out.

PA Grandma
07-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, I'm correct in some of it. If you count the images that are jpgs and pngs they are the same. I have seen this sort of stuff for a long time and if it has that stuff that I can't open I just delete it.

JulieO
07-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I had no idea that there was any kind of file like that in my folders. The Bridge part might be from my file browser. I use Adobe Bridge which is part of Photoshop and the CS Suite. Or it could be a Mac thing. :)

janalyn
07-26-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think it is a Mac thing because I have them in my files too. I think that you are right about it being from Adobe bridge though.

grammy201
07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I wasn't sure what these files were either but since I couldn't open them I just deleted them.

Katjie
07-28-2007, 05:06 AM
I used to always delete them and then later made my own conclusion that it might be MAC files. The reason for this conclusion was that with some freebies there is a folder for MAC also and then the files are also written that way. OR it might be for some program that none of us know of!!!!! :)

ljd2007
07-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Many thanks to you all for your answers..I will leave them as they are for now, they are only tiny files so as I come across them I will delete them or do a Search and delete them that way, it helps to save any space at all! all the more for goodies... hahahah

curlyberli
07-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Thank you for being brave and asking questions. I can't wait to go through my files and delte-delete-delete

Pillowgirl
07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
I know thismight offend someone, but hey, I find the "No Piracy" graphic files a little redundent and remove them too... so I can free up space for the scraps I love. I keep ALL of the TOU files though, honest injun.

nighty
07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
i remove those anti-piracy files too,
they just need space
and thereīs nothing in them i donīt know.

TerrellS
07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
If you are unsure what a file is you can always search it on Google and it will tell you what type of file it is. Also removing a thumb file can mess up your files. The computer keeps it there because it holds the images of the included files. It won't always mess them up and actually will most likely replace itself but if you are having computer issues it could mess up your files. I do delete the No-Piracy files and multiple preview files myself lol.

twoisisomega
08-01-2007, 07:56 AM
All your messages are such good help for those that don't know. Would like to know why I also have double files, when I download Julie's files, which I delete because I can't open the duplicates?:confused: Does anyone know?

ljd2007
08-11-2007, 10:30 AM
TWOISISOMEGA.. do you mean the files like this "._Stone Accents, Feelin Wonderful, 1, 02" ?
Someone said sometime that they were possibly the program that Julie uses, possibly mac files,and it was OK to delete them :)

ljd2007
08-11-2007, 10:35 AM
P.S. I delete the piracy files too, I keep all the TOU though

ljd2007
08-11-2007, 10:44 AM
.BridgeSort is the file which dictates how the files are sorted when viewed in Bridge (i.e name; date; extension etc.). Normally this is a hidden file and can be safely deleted (but sorting will resort to the default in Bridge next time you view the folder in Bridge and a new version of .BridgeSort will be then created).

..DS_Store is a MacOS X file
This file is generated by Bridge when you manually sort images in a folder.

The .DS_Store files are created by the Finder during its normal course of operation but they are invisible by default. The Finder will automatically put a .DS_Store file into every folder you have opened. These files are used to save the positions of icons, the size of the respective Finder window, the window's background, and many more view options. While professional users consider the .DS_Store files to be a design flaw of the Mac OS X Finder, a mechanism like this is necessary when opening Finder windows for exchangeable disk media to give former users of the classic Mac OS the same user experience they had in previous operating system versions. If you don't like to see the .DS_Store files, replace the Finder by a better file management application.

Hope this info helps you all. :)

Pauline
08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Wow, thanks for all this. I've been deleting files I can't open as well as it looked like they were duplicates of some sort. I delete the 'no piracy' files also, I agree anything to save space

kimberkatt
08-30-2007, 10:03 AM
I've always deleted those types of files, because someone, somewhere had it posted on her blog that they are for the programs she used to organize her stuff... I also delete the "No Piracy" images, and the graphic TOU's if they have a text format included also... and, if I have a folder set up for a specific designer, I usually will only keep one copy of the TOU, and delete the duplicates that come with each kit... I will also rename files, which I know most designers consider a BIG NO-NO, but hear me out... I would rather rename a file that says "BG1" to "Designer Name-Kit Name-BG1" so that if the files ever get separated from the kit folder, I know where that element belongs! Besides, I use Digital Scraproom to organize my supplies, and it will not allow you to import a file if it has a duplicate name! I think every designer should be proud of what she creates, whether it be for sale or for free, and include their name and the kit name in the file name... do you think I can say "name" anymore in that sentence?! LOL! Just my 2cents! :D

nighty
08-30-2007, 12:00 PM
hi kimbercatt,
i think your absolutely right.
at the beginning, when scrapping was all new to me
and i began to get some freebies,
i've put them all together in one folder,
after some time it got a really bad mess
and i still can't figure out who's files are in this folder,
so i began to sort them in folder some by designer,
some by kits
and also change the filenames
that i know who designed it.
i think each designer should have his name in the filename

elizlom
05-24-2008, 10:18 PM
.DS Store, or Desktop Services Store, is a file created by Macs to note details such as positioning of icons, etc. If you aren't on a Mac, it is safe to delete it. If you are, it may still not be doing anything important. It's supposed to be a hidden file. Hope that helps, Elizabeth

patchas
05-25-2008, 01:10 PM
... Also removing a thumb file can mess up your files. The computer keeps it there because it holds the images of the included files.

The thumb file is only if you have ThumbsPlus installed. If you don't have the program, the thumb file is a waste of space. If you do have it, and you delete the file, ThumbsPlus will recreate it the first time you go into that folder.