PDA

View Full Version : Next Designer Contest: September 2011

Toiny
08-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Official Rules and Details

Our Annual Next Designer Contest kicks off September 1, 2011.

No need for sign ups, just post your Round 1 entry in Next Designer Contest Gallery by September 5, 2011 no later than Midnight (24:00) EST and you will automatically be listed as a competitor.

All challenges will be posted 6:00 a.m. EST and due by Midnight (24:00) EST per the scheduled dates:

Intro's begin August here in the Forum, through Round 1
Round 1: Challenge begins Sept. 1st, Due Sept 5th
Round 2: Challenge begins Sept. 8th, Due Sept 12th
Round 3: Challenge begins Sept. 15th, Due Sept 19th
Round 4: Challenge begins Sept 22nd, Due Sept 26th
Winner announced Sept 30th
The contest is open to anyone interested in becoming a Designer, whether you are brandnew, established or even just for fun!

Our top 10 finalists from Round 3 will all win an exclusive, brandnew, CU Grab Bag from theStudio Designers.

Our top three finalist from Round 4 will win Designer Contracts at theStudio as well as a bamboo wacom pen tablet.

kimberkatt
08-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I am SO excited for this!! This is the highlight of my year!! Woohooo, let the fun begin! :DD :((

johnsonrj@q.com
08-05-2011, 08:56 PM
WOW! That time again already?? Can't wait to preview all the talent!

ladyofthethorns
08-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Wow, that time again! Where DID the year go?!

I love these contests and although I'm still in 'recovery' from the past 6 weeks with The Design Factor :l, I'll probably muster up some energy to join here.

And of course Toiny, you know me... always a couple questions :))

Can you remind me (us) about the how the process of elimination works (membership votes versus theStudio admin votes)?
How long do we need to keep our submissions available for free?
For those of us hoping (longing ;))to win a designer contract here at the studio, where can we find more details on what that means (just the basics would be fine, such as designer requirements and time commitments)?

sbc33
08-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Um, "no sign ups necessary" then "sign up in August". Not sure which it is, but just in case - I'm in. I had a blast last year.

Stampin Designs
08-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi this sounds interesting. I am just learning new techniques etc to be a designer. I am already on two CT's. I was wondering what I would have to do to learn and what I would have to do, as a learner, to join the contest please.

Scrappinsass
08-06-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm going to give this a try! Sounds like a lot of fun! :)

SandyPie
08-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Adding to my calendar now! 50 or 60 more tries and maybe Toiny will show me sympathy and give me an "honorary winner" prize, so I can quit torturing myself over this. ;) But till then I'll just keep trying in spite of myself! hahaha!

Toiny
08-06-2011, 10:20 AM
LOL. I guess I stuck a little too closely to the wording from last year... I changed it to "intro's". Of course Q&A as well.

So happy to see you back!

Um, "no sign ups necessary" then "sign up in August". Not sure which it is, but just in case - I'm in. I had a blast last year.

Toiny
08-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Rose,

I love your questions as always.

I'm looking at completely eliminating membership votes (input welcome). Last year it was membership votes until the final, fourth, round. The final round was voted on by theStudio Admin & Design team privately.
You need keep your free kits only until voting (each round) is completed. Until the 1st of October is encouraged.
Our contract is simple. No set-up fees, 75% monthly commission, 6 mega kit contributions per year (2-3 papers, 5-8 elements), a minimum of 2 new products per month. That's it.
Of course, the contract itself is a little more wordy than that :l

Can you remind me (us) about the how the process of elimination works (membership votes versus theStudio admin votes)?
How long do we need to keep our submissions available for free?
For those of us hoping (longing ;))to win a designer contract here at the studio, where can we find more details on what that means (just the basics would be fine, such as designer requirements and time commitments)?

Toiny
08-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Just keep your eyes open on the first and follow the challenge carefully. The Design Team is very friendly here and we will post tips & tricks, as well as links to great tutorials. In the meantime, you can continue to familiarize yourself with your software, google for some tutorials and try to mimic some of your favorite designers. All practice helps get you ready.

Good luck!

Hi this sounds interesting. I am just learning new techniques etc to be a designer. I am already on two CT's. I was wondering what I would have to do to learn and what I would have to do, as a learner, to join the contest please.

Stampin Designs
08-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Thank you so much. I will keep practising and keep an eye out to see what to do :)

tanteva
08-06-2011, 11:58 AM
There's a part of me that wants to start designing again LOL
Will have to think about this :)

Elaine Sharron
08-06-2011, 03:08 PM
What are your rules in designing for the September contest. This is my first try.
Thanks
Elaine

Toiny
08-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Welcome guys! The rules will go up with the first challenge. Each challenge is a little bit different and the restrictions will be carefully spelled out. Everyone is welcome and we do try to make it easier-to-harder as the weeks go by. It's also a great crew we have here and you will be able to ask questions and pick our brains as you go!

Renee
08-06-2011, 05:37 PM
This is so much fun, I'm not sure if I'm back from summer vacation September 1st, but if I am I will try to enter!

ladyofthethorns
08-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi Rose,

I love your questions as always.
:) That's good... because I wouldn't want to be a pest. :rolleyes:

Thanks for answering my questions. :DD

Ambowife Designs
08-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Great to see some familiar faces in here already ;) (waving)

This has got to be the highlight of the year at the Studio, we look forward to it every year and it's a really great way to learn more techniques and tips from the designers at the studio as well as eachother. There is always a forum just for the contestants so that you gals can bite your nails and brainstorm or whatever in your own special place. And for those who didn't know, our fearless leader Toiny was a winner in this contest way back when. and many of us made our start at designing entering these kinds of competitions, it's a really worthwhile experience.
Good luck to all who enter and come on over and give it a go if you are still thinking about it, it's totally worth it and you'll have a blast. :)

Stampin Designs
08-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Great to see some familiar faces in here already ;) (waving)

This has got to be the highlight of the year at the Studio, we look forward to it every year and it's a really great way to learn more techniques and tips from the designers at the studio as well as eachother. There is always a forum just for the contestants so that you gals can bite your nails and brainstorm or whatever in your own special place. And for those who didn't know, our fearless leader Toiny was a winner in this contest way back when. and many of us made our start at designing entering these kinds of competitions, it's a really worthwhile experience.
Good luck to all who enter and come on over and give it a go if you are still thinking about it, it's totally worth it and you'll have a blast. :)

Thanks Tracy.
I am learning and would love to be a designer one day so I will be watching here for more info and hopefully join in :)

vickyday
08-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I'd love to join in this year!

ladyofthethorns
08-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm looking at completely eliminating membership votes (input welcome). Last year it was membership votes until the final, fourth, round. The final round was voted on by theStudio Admin & Design team privately.
OK, I'll input... :l I'm all for completely eliminating membership votes. I've always felt that having the membership vote made it more of a popularity contest instead of a designer contest. Some people are more well, people people, if you kwim; and it ends up that the ones who can get the most friends and/or family members to sign up and vote are the ones who win and those are not necessarily the same ones who have talent and skill for designing.

kimberkatt
08-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi ladies!! {waves}

Rose, I agree. The Membership Vote is tough... most members here do actually vote for their favorite designs, but because it is a public vote, the contestants do have that option of soliciting votes from others, who are not regular members here... so, yes, it can be beneficial to have a vote, to see what potential customers are looking for, but, again, it can also be very misleading! Not to mention the complaints or accusations of "cheating" - we do not tolerate any kind of cheating during the competition, Toiny tries her hardest to make this contest as fair as possible, to give everyone an equal shot. So, by eliminating the membership vote, or reducing it's impact on the final results, we're hoping for a more enjoyable and relaxed competition w/ minimal conflicts & accusations ;) We just want you guys to come in here, have loads of fun creating & hanging out with us, and maybe walk away with a prize or two! :DD

Min
08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Wooohoo - it's "that time" again! :D

Welcome and good luck to you all, I can't wait to see your creations! :)

mollyscraps
08-07-2011, 03:41 PM
YAY!!! I'm going to try again this year. I have been practicing creating ellies so I hope to do well. :0)

lindz_e
08-07-2011, 11:10 PM
I want to try this, looks like fun =)

katlen124
08-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I am in again!! - each year a bit better!
glad to see some "old" friends

katlen124
08-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Part of being a designer is rallying the public and making something that will sell. I don't like it, but popularity of the designers is part of what helps the shop.
That said, Don't like the vote being the only determining factor.

OK, I'll input... :l I'm all for completely eliminating membership votes. I've always felt that having the membership vote made it more of a popularity contest instead of a designer contest. Some people are more well, people people, if you kwim; and it ends up that the ones who can get the most friends and/or family members to sign up and vote are the ones who win and those are not necessarily the same ones who have talent and skill for designing.

Littlepenguins
08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Excited to give this a try.

redplaid3
08-08-2011, 12:06 PM
As a spectator, I love this stuff, too! Can't wait to see all the talent!

Nanascraps
08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
hmmm..sounds like fun...loved it last year...from a spectators point of view...I just finished the Design Factor also...so I may give this a whirl...if not will be happy stalking

kcarlsen
08-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Definitely going to give it a shot! This will be my first stab at it so I'm sure I'll taking all the tips and advice I can get. Thanks so much for all of the kind folks here at the Studio. It has definitely been a positive thing in my life the past couple months! Better get practicing :-) !!!

Ambowife Designs
08-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Great to see some familiar names and faces from last year, good luck to you all I am sure you will all have a blast ;)

redplaid3
08-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't think popularity should be the deciding factor either. However, I think the standards should be clear beforehand because I often have wondered in other contests what the judges were looking for. Is there a rubric for voting or is it just a popularity contest between the judges. Just curious....

kimberkatt
08-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think popularity should be the deciding factor either. However, I think the standards should be clear beforehand because I often have wondered in other contests what the judges were looking for. Is there a rubric for voting or is it just a popularity contest between the judges. Just curious....

It's definitely not a popularity thing when theStudio Admin/Staff/Designers vote - we're looking for high quality w/ minimal errors (because everyone makes mistakes sometimes!), originality/creativity and how well you followed the rules of the contest... popularity is a GREAT thing to have as a designer but it doesn't necessarily determine your overall talent. Popularity is one of the determining factors, but it is not the determining factor ;)

Toiny
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
What Kim said, LOL. There is no one rubric. Each challenge comes with it's own guidelines, posted on the first day of each challenge. Our voting will be based on that, as well as personal preference. Part of judging does come down to personal taste. Luckily we have a wide range of Designers, and Admin, at theStudio. There are many different styles and personal preferences.

I don't think, now I may be biased, it will be a popularity contest. However, of course, personality will be factored in. The winner will be our co-worker, hopefully for years to come!

Monika
08-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Can't believe almost a year has gone by already!
Can't wait to see all the fun again, LOL!

DigiliciousDesigns
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Yay, it's that time of year 8D!! I started here as Guest Designer while the contest was running last year, and I'm STILL here ROFL 8D This is such a fabulous place to be, and I can't wait to see all the beautiful designs that you ladies create! Good luck everyone :love:

ScrappyCocoa
08-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Excited to see all the great talent waiting to be discovered in the designer contest! Yay! And who doesn't love birthdays!

lpoore
08-10-2011, 12:54 AM
i am going to try this year too

amplantier
08-11-2011, 07:17 AM
I had such a fantastic time during the contest last year. I'm looking forward to being a part of it again this year. For those of you contemplating entering for the first time, the designers here were incredibly supportive; the contest was very well organized and very fair, but most of all it was great fun.

tanteva
08-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Since I wasn't here last year I have a few newbie questions :)

1. Are we allowed to use CU products or have every element have to be made by ourself?
2. How does the challenges work? Do we get a theme? Or a color swatch? Or? (guessing here it will be both at different times since it's 4 rounds.)
3. Will we be anonymous? (I mean like everyone get a "secret name" or code or something?

Christi
08-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Ooh, I'm in!!

Lizard Dau Designs
08-11-2011, 08:05 AM
ummmmm who am i....where am i...who are you guys?????????????....LOL...LOL..LOL...only joking there..for a minute i lost my identity!!!....where the heck is it????..some one has stolen it and I need to know who I am???...okays sorry i got mixed up with the brown paper bag or perhaps the secret agent...nope certainly was not the pink pig in the mask and high heels...nope nope nope...what a dilemma!!...cheers ??????????????????

kimberkatt
08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
LOL Liz!! Nice to see you back!! ;) I don't know if there will be secret identities this time, we're looking into removing the member vote or lessening it's impact on final results! But... uh... feel free to wear the mask and high heels anyway ;) :l

Or, we could go back to a couple years ago and I can issue you all your own pair of undies again! 8D :)) 8|

Lizard Dau Designs
08-11-2011, 08:23 AM
okays now that is just a rumour....i do wear undies...despite the fact hubby wants to burn them all???...go figure...MEN!!...LOL..LOL...:o:o:ocheers Liz

kimberkatt
08-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Since I wasn't here last year I have a few newbie questions :)

1. Are we allowed to use CU products or have every element have to be made by ourself?
2. How does the challenges work? Do we get a theme? Or a color swatch? Or? (guessing here it will be both at different times since it's 4 rounds.)
3. Will we be anonymous? (I mean like everyone get a "secret name" or code or something?

Hello and welcome! :DD

I'm not the "official" word, but I'll try my best to answer questions ;)

- yes, you will be allowed to use CU for some of the rounds ;)
- yes, that's exactly how it works - Toiny will give you all the information you need to complete the rounds, most rounds include a swatch (or at least one you have to come up with yourself) themes & general rules & restrictions, she's very straight-forward with the guidelines for each round, and you will have plenty of time and opportunities to ask questions during the week
- I don't believe it will be anonymous, but don't quote me on that, Toiny may have something up her sleeve before the contest starts on Sept. 1 ;)

kimberkatt
08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
okays now that is just a rumour....i do wear undies...despite the fact hubby wants to burn them all???...go figure...MEN!!...LOL..LOL...:o:o:ocheers Liz

ROFLMBO - but I do agree... MEN!!! :l

Lizard Dau Designs
08-11-2011, 08:33 AM
LOL Liz!! Nice to see you back!! ;) I don't know if there will be secret identities this time, we're looking into removing the member vote or lessening it's impact on final results! But... uh... feel free to wear the mask and high heels anyway ;) :l

Or, we could go back to a couple years ago and I can issue you all your own pair of undies again! 8D :)) 8|

actually that would be heaps of fun..i would love a pair of y-fronts please..the daggie ones but with something witty and funny written on the waist band...a funny thing about them is that you can actually make them into a bra somehow....hmmm saw that some time back in an email....

yes i sooooooo do not like the popularity contests..they are way too much hard work...yes i know we have to advertise and get our names out there...but that can and does come later...contests should be for fun too as well as the serious side..the incognito part of last year was sooooooooo much fun..although if you ask me there was some really suspicious characters getting about...hmmm might have to add fish nets to those heels me thinks...and besides why not let the store designers and admin have the vote?....

oh also i love that we get to learn heaps and meet some amazing people...even if we are all struck with temporary dementia and do not know who each other are???...LOL..LOL...LOL...for me i just love the challenge and in the end i have some great friends..some potential new customers and some fantastic new kits for my store..so for me it is a win win situation despite the wonderful prizes on offer..nah i don't even contemplate winning anything...if i improve and learn that is all i want!!...Cheers Liz8|8|8|8|

Maitri
08-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm so excited to participate! I haven't done many contests, but I always learn a ton, so it's very worth it!

ksunstar
08-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I haven't tried for a while. Very excited for this contest!

Kristina

DarleneH
08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Good luck, everyone! Can't wait to see all the beautiful products I know you're going to create. :)

donakat
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Well, I had so much fun doing the scrapping contest a couple months ago, and I do love the Studio, so I'm going to join in also.

Heatheranne
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Welcome guys! The rules will go up with the first challenge. Each challenge is a little bit different and the restrictions will be carefully spelled out. Everyone is welcome and we do try to make it easier-to-harder as the weeks go by. It's also a great crew we have here and you will be able to ask questions and pick our brains as you go!

I would love to be a designer! I've been practicing, resulting in one large kit, a mini to go with it and various little practice items. This challenge sounds perfect because I still have so much to learn.

A few questions?
Does this mean that we will be creating as we go?
Do we have to have a blog to enter?
Is there a link to last years contest, so we can have an idea of what it's about?

Thank you for your response. :-)

Jenni
08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I hope I get time to try this out! I've been wanting to become a designer for a long time now but I'm still new to the whole design thing so I can't wait to learn along the way

Enchanted
08-11-2011, 04:21 PM
WOW! That time already eh? I'll give it another go ^_^ Can't wait!

Ambowife Designs
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Is there a link to last years contest, so we can have an idea of what it's about?

Yes you will be creating as you go, sometimes it might be cu allowed, sometimes not, usually the kits required are not huge mega kits either. There is usually a freestyle week and a no cu week. But that's not set in stone yet, Toiny will let you know what is required week by week.

You certainly DON'T need to have a blog to enter, banners or blinkies in your signature are usually allowed

Toiny will possibly open last year's tips and tricks and any other forums from last year's contest that might be helpful to the contestants, but you'll have to wait for the final word from Toiny

hope that helps clear some of your questions up hun

Ambowife Designs
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Great to see you Volante ;)

Heatheranne
08-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you Tracy. Yes, you did clear them up for me and I'm looking forward to this. :-)

Belladonne
08-12-2011, 04:10 AM
Wow! I will try my hands at this :)

Enchanted
08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Nice to see you too Tracy! ^_^

Toiny
08-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Wonderful to see so many of you already! IŽll pull together a list of links from the previous years so you newbies can get a feel for our contests. Or, take a look in our archives down near the bottom of the mainpage.

dreamynest
08-14-2011, 11:05 AM
A friend let me know about this contest. Count me in!! I'm already participating over at DSA this month and learning so much!! Can't wait!

Ashkenazi
08-14-2011, 12:17 PM
wow is it that long since the last design contest....Been taking time off from it...but hey think l will give it another bash....

Enchanted
08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
hello Lynne!! good to see you here ^_^

Lindsay1973
08-15-2011, 05:30 AM
also keen to enter,will be my first contest

Ashkenazi
08-15-2011, 10:33 AM
hello Lynne!! good to see you here ^_^

Fab to see you also Volante...Way to go girl!...Lol!

;););)

Lynne

scrappymelly
08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Just saw this on FB and going to give it a go. I need to quit being chicken and just try lol

kcleigh
08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Really looking forward to this!!

kimberkatt
08-15-2011, 11:44 AM
woohooo! So great to see you guys trying out!! Only half a month to go now! lol

mrscwooddell
08-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Wow, what a fun group of peeps! glad to see the familiar faces! Think I will also give it a go to take my mind of all the pressing matters around here...lol
{HUgs}

tailz61
08-16-2011, 04:40 AM
well i've not participated around here but I've been a member for a while and receiving the newsletter. I am a designer and sell at 2 stores but I've never attempted a design contest...not really felt sufficiently confident but what the heck, I'll give it a go and you never ever know the outcome, prizes would be great but I think the experience will be worthwhile regardless so if you'd count me in I'd be honoured.

Miranda
08-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Oh I am gonna follow this one, my dream to be a designer once. Maybe I will give it a try!!!!

Maurine Stettler
08-16-2011, 10:21 AM
I look forward to this every year -- it's really fun and exciting to see all the talent people have! Can't wait to see your designs!

jimmyrose
08-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I am not a designer, but I hang out here an awful lot. Love this contest. Can't wait. good luck to all.

Jessicasma
08-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I am going to try my best this year! The Studio Rocks!!!!

Toiny
08-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Ooooo look at the familiar faces! I'm getting so excited to see you. I'm really excited to see what you will create. Wooooooohoooooooo!

Enchanted
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I've been counting.. is it September yet?! for many reasons lol! ^_^

kimberkatt
08-16-2011, 01:27 PM
LOL Volante! Soon, my dear, soon.... just hang in there a couple more weeks, kids will be back in school soon! ;) Oh, you meant the contest??? yeah, that too! 8D

SkrapperDigitals
08-16-2011, 02:34 PM
*waves* hi everyone! glad to see so many of you have already entered! i can't wait to see what you create :-) Best of luck! (hugs)

Stampin Designs
08-16-2011, 11:01 PM
MIA...sorry, had to buy new computer and now trying to catch up *sigh*... did I miss out on anything here?

Enchanted
08-16-2011, 11:36 PM
LMAO Kim!! Yeah, first off is School!! second is the contest ;)

Toiny
08-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Not yet! Just getting the word out before kick-off in September. So sorry you had to buy a new computer, the expense sucks... but don't you love it????

MIA...sorry, had to buy new computer and now trying to catch up *sigh*... did I miss out on anything here?

Stampin Designs
08-17-2011, 03:05 AM
Oh well at least it's new and should last a while lol
I have to have it or I can't digi ;)

Heatheranne
08-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Wonderful to see so many of you already! IŽll pull together a list of links from the previous years so you newbies can get a feel for our contests. Or, take a look in our archives down near the bottom of the mainpage.
I've made a quick avatar and siggy for my profile.
I introduced myself.
I found the archives that you mentioned and read through last year's contest. Looks like a ton of fun!
I found the tuts and have looked through them a bit.
I have to go and practice now! Soon it'll be dinner time and I might call it a day - maybe. lol
I am so-o-o looking forward to this challenge!
I will watch for more information. Thank you for all that's been posted! :-)

SilverHealer
08-17-2011, 08:46 PM
This looks like so much fun! I'm about to go read the archives and check out the tuts now. I design casually for various blog trains and colour challenges, and would love to step it up! I'll watch for more information :)

kakleidesigns
08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I will definitely be here and give my best one more time, hope this time I can make it...
and I am also not so fan of popularity vote, I always feel ashamed about asking people to vote for me, is not my thing.

Min
08-18-2011, 01:55 AM
and I am also not so fan of popularity vote, I always feel ashamed about asking people to vote for me, is not my thing.

I know what you mean, I feel the same and I'm sure Toiny will do her best to make sure that theStudio's contest will not be about popularity with your friends and family - and I don't think we ever had a winner who didn't win because of her talent and the quality of her designs.

Also - if one of you is really interested in joining theStudio as a designer, you can always continue to play along (even if you should be voted out of the contest at some point) to show off your designing skills and dedication - and send in an application after the contest.... ;)

Miranda
08-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Maybe it is just silly me, but I cannot seem to find the archive link, can anyone gove it to me :(

tanteva
08-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe it is just silly me, but I cannot seem to find the archive link, can anyone gove it to me :(

If you go to the first page of the forum and scroll all the way down, you have the Archives :)

Here's the link for last years contest:
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=231

Toiny
08-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Here is last years birthday bash: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=230

And Next Designer Contest: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=231

All archives are here: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180

HTH's!

Miranda
08-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Thank you girls, gonna check it all out now!!!! :)

Sherry_Lynn
08-18-2011, 02:19 PM
OK I participated in the design factor layout challenge and had a great time.
I'm doing the Designer Apprentice now - the final challenge is due Sept. 3rd hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Yep, OK count me in - she says nervously!

tanteva
08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I can't really decide if I'm going to do this. I love designing, but ... Well, I'll wait and see - if I get inspired by the first challenge, I'm in. Contests are kinda scary too :)

Sherry_Lynn
08-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I just read this from last year --- "Each of you will get a private PM from me or a Studio Admin with a Contestant Number. You will need to use this Number as your Designer Name on kit previews." --- is this going to be the same this year? I love this idea!

Toiny
08-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Nope. Despite anonymous numbers last year there were still rumblings that people were sharing their "secret" number. We will not be doing public votes, voting will be done in private in the Designer & Admin Team forum.

You will still be able to get a good gauge of user response to your designs by views & downloads. The #1 tip I can offer is to work on your previewing skills. Especially shadow work on previews can make a huge visual impact.

I just read this from last year --- "Each of you will get a private PM from me or a Studio Admin with a Contestant Number. You will need to use this Number as your Designer Name on kit previews." --- is this going to be the same this year? I love this idea!

kimberkatt
08-18-2011, 04:28 PM
we did have fun with those secret identities last year! lol But, alas, as long as there is a public vote, there will always be someone crying "cheater! cheater!" I think having the vote be private, by Studio Staff, will clear the air of all thoughts of "cheating" - we have a very diverse design staff w/ a variety of different styles and likes, so it will be a very well-rounded & fair vote ;) Besides, now all the pressure is on US!! :duh: Thanks T! :P lol

Actually.... this will be the FIRST year we're not having the public vote! :O :))

kimberkatt
08-18-2011, 04:34 PM
I can't really decide if I'm going to do this. I love designing, but ... Well, I'll wait and see - if I get inspired by the first challenge, I'm in. Contests are kinda scary too :)

aww, don't be afraid! We're really very friendly, supportive and encouraging!! :DD

mollyscraps
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
we did have fun with those secret identities last year! lol But, alas, as long as there is a public vote, there will always be someone crying "cheater! cheater!" I think having the vote be private, by Studio Staff, will clear the air of all thoughts of "cheating" -

I am happy there will be no public vote. While I didn't think anyone intentionally cheated, I did feel at a disadvantage because some of the participants had a distinctly recognizable style. Thanks guys for working hard to even the playing field! :XX

tanteva
08-18-2011, 05:21 PM
aww, don't be afraid! We're really very friendly, supportive and encouraging!! :DD

Ok ... Well ... at least I uploaded an avatar, a first step :DD

Sunny Day Scraps
08-18-2011, 10:01 PM
I am New here on Marie H CT,and already Love it here,i would love to be a designer here,so i am going ofr it LOL:DD

mollyscraps
08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
You will still be able to get a good gauge of user response to your designs by views & downloads. The #1 tip I can offer is to work on your previewing skills. Especially shadow work on previews can make a huge visual impact.

Toiny,

Do you have any specifics about what makes good shadow work? Previewing is one of my weaknesses and I have never gotten any concrete advice on it....

Thanks!

mollyscraps

Toiny
08-19-2011, 02:37 AM
There are tons of opinions out there on what is best. Mix those opinions with what looks best to you, remember the #1 person to make happy is... YOU!

Here are my rules for me:

Not too dark. I keep mine at 50% opacity or less. (occasionally darker for darker kits/LO's)
I set "size" smaller for frames, ribbons, papers
I set "size" bigger for flowers and larger elements
I increase "distance" for ribbons and elements I want to pop off the page.
I create a shadow style set for each preview I make. I use the same shadow on all papers, then a similar style on all elements. I adjust the style for the flowers (ie increase "size"), and ribbons (ie increase "distance"). This gives the preview a looks-from-the-same-kit appeal.

I also like putting the shadow on it's own layer and then using the Distance tool or Warp to highlight a favorite element. Not too much because then, well, it gets confusing to look at. I do Warp each item in the same direction, remembering my light source.

Some of my fave Shadow Tutorials:

Megan Turnidge (http://www.designsbymeganturnidge.com/blog/?p=349) (includes free shadow styles!)
The Daily Digi (http://thedailydigi.com/drop-shadows-tutorials/)
Shadow Proportions (http://suzyqscraps.com/2011/07/30/shadow-suggestions-common-mistakes/) (the brad vs. flower vs. paper shadows with pictures)
Shadowing Basics (http://frickonastick.com/2010/03/shadow-files-the-basics/) (explains that flower shadowing better)
To Shadow or Not to Shadow (http://thedailydigi.com/to-shadow-or-not-to-shadow-that-is-the-question/)
HTH's!

Toiny,

Do you have any specifics about what makes good shadow work? Previewing is one of my weaknesses and I have never gotten any concrete advice on it....

Thanks!

mollyscraps

angdrumm
08-19-2011, 05:51 AM
I like the sound of this I think I will give it a go.

marieh
08-19-2011, 06:25 AM
:)) Ohh wow what a good crowd !! I can't wait for the contest to start !!

kcleigh
08-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Thank you for posting the links to shadowing tutes. I've been trying so hard to figure out the shadowing thing, and this helps so much!

katlen124
08-19-2011, 10:59 AM
hadn't thought about changing the shadow attributes. thanks

mollyscraps
08-19-2011, 05:28 PM
There are tons of opinions out there on what is best. Mix those opinions with what looks best to you, remember the #1 person to make happy is... YOU!

Here are my rules for me:

Thank you so much for the tips! I am getting so excited!

DigiliciousDesigns
08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
So fabulous to see some familiar faces, and some new ones! Good luck, ladies, and I hope you have a blast along the way!!! 8D

ladyofthethorns
08-19-2011, 06:06 PM
OK, counting now...

13 more days to go. 8D

Toiny
08-20-2011, 03:57 AM
Eeeeek 13! I'm ready, totally ready. Why do I want to start early every year?

tailz61
08-20-2011, 05:42 AM
well I"ve read thru the old archives and looked at the tutorials...thanks Ambowife for the links for youtube vids...found out better ways to do old stuff and some new ones too...the main reason I decide to join this contest is because there is NO public vote...I have had some bad experiences with friends voting for friends so tend to keep away from contests so this one sounds like it will be fair and level playing field...can't wait for the action to begin :)

angdrumm
08-20-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm having a problem, it says I dont have permision to view the previous yeasrs details from the 2nd link in post 90, please can someone help

Toiny
08-20-2011, 06:33 AM
You can now! You need human moderation (ahem me, or admin team) to view archives & post LO's. It helps keep our spam in the forum down to a low level.

Welcome!

I'm having a problem, it says I dont have permision to view the previous yeasrs details from the 2nd link in post 90, please can someone help

marieh
08-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Yeahhh only 13 days to go !! You will love the experience :))

angdrumm
08-20-2011, 06:42 AM
You can now! You need human moderation (ahem me, or admin team) to view archives & post LO's. It helps keep our spam in the forum down to a low level.

Welcome!

Thats brill, thankyou :)

tanteva
08-20-2011, 06:52 AM
13 days ... Now I'm panicking. I have tons of CT work to do before the end of August LOL

Lynn
08-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Oh, wow, this sounds great :). I'm definitely going to have a go at this!

auntrachel
08-20-2011, 12:51 PM
I also can not view them and would like to be able to. Any help would be appreciated.

Rachel

Welcome!

Toiny
08-20-2011, 02:16 PM
And you are approved as well Rachel! Welcome on board.

I also can not view them and would like to be able to. Any help would be appreciated.

Rachel

kcleigh
08-20-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm so sad. Looks like I may not have internet for a little while once we move at the end of this month. I may not be able to participate. :( I guess I'll be watching from afar.

TalyQ
08-21-2011, 01:05 AM
I have not done this before and am a beginner in designing, but will give it a try :)

mollyscraps
08-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Any chance someone would throw out a practice challenge for us? I am getting so excited!

ladyofthethorns
08-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Any chance someone would throw out a practice challenge for us? I am getting so excited!

Have you considered doing the August color challenge? Here's the link to that thread: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9555

-----------
BY THE WAY... only 11 DAYS to go! :))

Enchanted
08-21-2011, 09:30 AM
wow!! all the excitement!! it's awesome!!

CatSlater
08-21-2011, 11:46 AM
This is always so fun to watch! I wish I had time to join in.

mollyscraps
08-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Have you considered doing the August color challenge? Here's the link to that thread: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9555

-----------
BY THE WAY... only 11 DAYS to go! :))

Awesome suggestion. Thank you!

MyTreasuredMoments
08-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Here is last years birthday bash: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=230

And Next Designer Contest: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=231

All archives are here: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180

HTH's!

I just found about this contest and I'd love to participate, it sound very exciting. I tried to take a look at the gallery of the previous year assigment but I get a message "You do not have permission to view the images in this category". could please someone help me?

Toiny
08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Try it now. You are all approved.

I just found about this contest and I'd love to participate, it sound very exciting. I tried to take a look at the gallery of the previous year assigment but I get a message "You do not have permission to view the images in this category". could please someone help me?

Enchanted
08-22-2011, 07:22 AM
This is a fantastic contest..honestly! You learn and improve your designing SO much!, That it's an invaluable experience. I'm really glad i somehow found y'all 3 years ago, or something like it ;)

Cabalistic
08-22-2011, 07:59 AM
I have been waiting for a Designer contest to pop up (without me catching it weeks into starting hehe), looking forward to this!

amplantier
08-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Me, too. I can't wait to start. I'm counting the days. (And trying to all those outstanding projects completed. Right! Like that's going to happen. I think up new ones a lot faster than I check things off the list.)

Eeeeek 13! I'm ready, totally ready. Why do I want to start early every year?

kimberkatt
08-22-2011, 09:22 AM
LOL Ann! I seem to do the same! ;) :DD

gail
08-22-2011, 09:59 AM
I am very excited and can't wait to give this a try. I have done a few min's that i have given away for free.

mollyscraps
08-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I would love some feedback on my shadowing if anyone has time!

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/color-challenge/p81551-a-bounty-of-flowers.html

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/data/535/ms-bf-prev.jpg

Chrismar
08-23-2011, 02:27 AM
I would also love to give this a try. I'm also not sure what will be expected as I have never taken part in a designer contest before but I'm gonna try my hardest because the experience is invaluable. I NEED to be a designer and start earning from my creations very soon ... so, count me in please? I'm ready to jump in and start swimming ...

tanteva
08-23-2011, 04:40 AM
I would love some feedback on my shadowing if anyone has time!

I like that you use different shadows - makes it more realistic. Paper would have smaller shadows in real life, and flowers larger. Personally I would have lowered the opacity for the shadows on the flowers, but that's my personal preferences.

Here are some basic ideas I got on shadowing - this is my thoughts, and what I've learned through trial and error. I'm no pro :)

Make sure the angle of the shadows are always the same. I usually add a shadow to one layer, then copy and paste that to all other layers. That way I'm sure the angle is the same on every shadow.

Also, the closer to the background the item is, the darker shadow (Opacity around 60-70 %). I use darker shadows for papers. Settings for a paper I would set at: Size 10%, Distance 10%, and Opacity 60%). Flowers I can go up to 35% in size. Oh, and the bigger the size - the lower the opacity. So hard to say a fixed number, cuz the color of the kit, patterns on the papers and so on make a difference. But a starting point for a flower might be Size 20%, Distance 20%, and Opacity 25%.

But as I say: trial and error is really the best way :)

Hope this helps.

tanteva
08-23-2011, 04:42 AM
I made a mini for the color challenge - any comments are VERY welcome! :)

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/data/535/EVA_FITS_Preview.jpg (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/color-challenge/p81577-fun-in-the-sun.html)

(Image is linked to the gallery in case you want to download the mini.)

MyTreasuredMoments
08-23-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm pretty sure that it is going to be an invaluable experience

tanteva
08-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that it is going to be an invaluable experience

I can only agree - I've learned so much new stuff already, and we haven't even started :)

mollyscraps
08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep practicing.. See you in the contest!

I like that you use different shadows - makes it more realistic. Paper would have smaller shadows in real life, and flowers larger. Personally I would have lowered the opacity for the shadows on the flowers, but that's my personal preferences.

Here are some basic ideas I got on shadowing - this is my thoughts, and what I've learned through trial and error. I'm no pro :)

Make sure the angle of the shadows are always the same. I usually add a shadow to one layer, then copy and paste that to all other layers. That way I'm sure the angle is the same on every shadow.

Also, the closer to the background the item is, the darker shadow (Opacity around 60-70 %). I use darker shadows for papers. Settings for a paper I would set at: Size 10%, Distance 10%, and Opacity 60%). Flowers I can go up to 35% in size. Oh, and the bigger the size - the lower the opacity. So hard to say a fixed number, cuz the color of the kit, patterns on the papers and so on make a difference. But a starting point for a flower might be Size 20%, Distance 20%, and Opacity 25%.

But as I say: trial and error is really the best way :)

Hope this helps.

mollyscraps
08-24-2011, 09:09 AM
This is beautiful. I love that you used some of the papers to create elements. Downloaded it. :0)

I made a mini for the color challenge - any comments are VERY welcome! :)

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/data/535/EVA_FITS_Preview.jpg (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/color-challenge/p81577-fun-in-the-sun.html)

(Image is linked to the gallery in case you want to download the mini.)

michellemarie
08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I can't believe it's been another year already! But Yeah!!! Let the fun begin... I can't wait till September already!

Cabalistic
08-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Each day that goes by makes me more giddy with excitement, and perhaps a little nervous too. This is my first time participating in a contest like this, but I can't wait to start!

ladyofthethorns
08-24-2011, 09:03 PM
:(( Less than 8 days to go!

I'm so ready NOW... but, :l I will probably be so NOT ready when the 1st finally arrives!

Toiny
08-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Hint: We will have a themed competition this year! The theme will carry through our NDC, as well as the Next LO Artist competition. YAY.

tanteva
08-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Oh, that sounds exciting ... I hope it's a theme I like though ... can I decide the theme? ;)

lbettis
08-25-2011, 05:44 AM
I'd love to try out please.

Cabalistic
08-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Yay hints. And a theme throughout? That makes it even more exciting!! I can't wait to find out what we will be doing. :D

DigiliciousDesigns
08-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Ooooo, very cryptic, and exciting, Toiny 8D!!!

mollyscraps
08-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Let me guess, Horror Films of the 1980's? Or maybe Gothic Girls: Black is the New Pink?

:l :l :l

molly

Hint: We will have a themed competition this year! The theme will carry through our NDC, as well as the Next LO Artist competition. YAY.

mollyscraps
08-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Photoshop ready to go- check
Resources compiled- check
Color challenge done- check

Anxiety level up- CHECK!

Hate to see August go but I am so ready to start this contest!

kimberkatt
08-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Let me guess, Horror Films of the 1980's? Or maybe Gothic Girls: Black is the New Pink?

:l :l :l

molly

ROFL - Horror films of the 80's would be SWEET!!! :l

Cabalistic
08-25-2011, 10:37 AM
molly

I would be equally happy with both of those themes, they are my kind of style (personality wise anyway). I really can't wait to see what it's REALLY going to be though! Argh the anxiety is going to drive me batty by the time the first gets here...

may have to go check out that Color Challenge myself. :)

mrscwooddell
08-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Very cryptic! lol Can't wait to see what it is! :)

Lainey
08-25-2011, 04:50 PM
My calendar looks pretty clear right now ... I'm going to go for it, too!

Lainey

ladyofthethorns
08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
A theme... hm... my curiosity sure is UP now! This could turn out to be EXTRA challenging now, depending upon the theme. 8|

I'm not too worried though; you always have interesting themes Toiny. :XX

Janet-B
08-25-2011, 08:42 PM
ROFL!!

Let me guess, Horror Films of the 1980's? ....
molly

Although, with Halloween coming up in October, you don't suppose . . . ?

Toiny
08-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Hint: The theme does not involve zombies or vampires or the underworld in any way... unless you really stretch your imagination and then, well, then it could be possible. At least the vampires.

Marie
08-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Hi everybody!
Can't beleive a whole year as passed since i was here last time....
Please Toiny count me in.
Thank you
Marie (Pmarie)

Ambowife Designs
08-26-2011, 05:02 AM
rofl you girls crack me up :)

my2suns
08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
I would just looooove to try out! I will definitly be here :0)

Renee'
My2suns

Maggi
08-27-2011, 06:29 AM
I'm also in this year, although I don't know about round 4. We are in the Cape for my son's wedding from the18 th until the 25 th. I shall take my laptop and see how my time can be optimized.I just dont want to mis all the fun.:))

Enchanted
08-27-2011, 03:15 PM
oooh! a theme challenge! sounds exciting! :)

gail
08-27-2011, 06:24 PM
a theme that will make it interesting, can't wait. I am now off to finish the color challenge. I am now back from setting my daughter up in the dorm, freshman @ Towson University in Maryland, and I am missing her already. Hoping this competition takes my mind off things.

Ambowife Designs
08-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Oh Gail the designer competition is the perfect distraction for you hun. :)

kakleidesigns
08-27-2011, 08:31 PM
wowwwwwwww, I am so happy I will be competing among such amazing friends, I feel really excited this year because of that, even when last year I met one of my dearest friends, Ann. But this year, I see so many more, this is wonderful.

kakleidesigns
08-27-2011, 08:33 PM
oh one question, are you going to put the clock and the time of starting this year too?
it makes it so easier for me since I live in the other part of the world.

Belladonne
08-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Wow Karen you're such an artist, I'm very excited to see what you will create... but a bit afraid too :)

Toiny
08-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi Karen! Yep. I'll put the clock & times up before Thursday. Make life as easy as possible with so many of you in so many different places.

So happy to see you.

kakleidesigns
08-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi Bella, si so good to share this with you and TYSM Toiny, you are so sweet, I am also so happy to see you again, hugs, Karen

mama4bears
08-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I've been doing some dabbling with color challenges and a few kits. I'd love to give this a try, sounds like I can learn a lot!

hareraisers2
08-28-2011, 08:13 PM
I've been thinking about joining, we'll see, still mulling it over. Will be easier to do with my daughter being in school 3 mornings a week this year.

Jenni
08-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm getting so nervous!! I haven't had time to practice yet. Hopefully I can before Thursday otherwise I might just have to wing it. EEEK!

kcarlsen
08-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Oh my goodness! I'm getting so excited. It's almost like when your a kid trying to open the refridgerator over and over again to see if anything has changed. Can't we speed up time this way?? Hope to see you all at the Bash!

Min
08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Ooooh, I'm getting all excited - can't wait to see what you will all come up with and cheer you from the sidelines! :((

I know our gallery will be bursting with gorgeous creations... is it Thursday yet?????

mrscwooddell
08-29-2011, 03:59 PM
omg, hurry up! I am anxious to get going! lol

ladyofthethorns
08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
OMG, only 2.5 days to go! 8D

And here I am, in a major creative slump (I'm talking MEGA major)... sure hope I can come out of it enough to make it past round 1. :l

DigiliciousDesigns
08-29-2011, 05:16 PM
*Eeeeeeek* This is sooooo exciting! I can feel the vibe all the way from Brissy, Australia 8D You girl's are going to rock it, and have a brilliant time along the way!!!

Ambowife Designs
08-29-2011, 05:30 PM
I've been thinking about joining, we'll see, still mulling it over. Will be easier to do with my daughter being in school 3 mornings a week this year.

I say go for it Tammy ;) 8D

Janet-B
08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Can't wait for this to get started -- are we down to counting the hours left??

chris24
08-29-2011, 09:16 PM
I would love to join in . I am totaly a beginner.
This sounds like so much fun and a great way for me to learn. :)

tanteva
08-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Can't wait for this to get started -- are we down to counting the hours left??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw :((

tanteva
08-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Oh, I have a question: When we're going to post our freebies that we make for each challenge - Where's the best way to share them? I usually use 4shared - but is there a better place? (Don't mention Mediafire - I'm allergic to their pop-ups ;) )

Toiny
08-30-2011, 11:03 AM
I like box.net. It's got smaller file size limit (25MB) but so much more convenient & less trouble for Designers & downloaders alike.

hareraisers2
08-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I say go for it Tammy ;) 8D

We'll see on the 1st which way I go. LOL 8D

katlen124
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
box.net times out a lot with slower connections

I like box.net. It's got smaller file size limit (25MB) but so much more convenient & less trouble for Designers & downloaders alike.

tanteva
08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
box.net times out a lot with slower connections

So, you think 4shared is better? If you download a lot you can have to wait for a long time before you can download. Don't know what's worst :)

mrscwooddell
08-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh, I know, I hate when I only have an hour to download of free time each morning when I get up, and most of it is used up waiting on 4shared to count down...ugh.

Ambowife Designs
08-30-2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw :((

rofl well that takes me back heehee!!! love 80's music, it's my teens :)

mollyscraps
08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Last year I used box.net and I liked it okay. I have noticed with some contests though a kit gets downloaded so often that the owner is out of bandwidth. I guess that wouldn't matter so much this year with no public vote but it was a voter turn-off for sure last year.

I pay $10.95 a month to Dreamhost to host my blog and that's where I will be uploading my files to. My Dreamhost account gives me way more storage and bandwidth than I could possibly use and has all sorts of other installs like a photo gallery. You can do an email list, newsletter, etc.... If you want more info you can private message me here or email me at mollyscraps4fun at gmail dot com.

Oh, I have a question: When we're going to post our freebies that we make for each challenge - Where's the best way to share them? I usually use 4shared - but is there a better place? (Don't mention Mediafire - I'm allergic to their pop-ups ;) )

happyscrappymum
08-30-2011, 06:26 PM
I'd like to give it a go, pretty exciting

joy.inscrapping
08-30-2011, 07:08 PM
this is getting exciting, waiting for the clock to tick sept 1 already :) i would love to try my hand in designing, if i can catch up with everyone else :)

tailz61
08-31-2011, 04:18 AM
I'm clock watching...can't wait for this too start...I've not ever done a design contest before so looking forward to the action :)

nma1985
08-31-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm clock watching...can't wait for this too start...I've not ever done a design contest before so looking forward to the action :)

Me either.. im going to try it though, worst that can happen is i learn something

Ashkenazi
08-31-2011, 05:42 AM
looking forward to it all. Loads of fun had over the years. Lol!
:)

Ashkenazi
08-31-2011, 05:45 AM

This has to be you Lesley...no one else could be Tailz! Lol!
8);):rolleyes:

Ashkenazi
08-31-2011, 05:52 AM
got nerves like last time....jitters and sweats...will it all get done...
Timeline to check...meals to prepare. washing, ironing etc...oooh busy busy busy!
8|

Jilbs
08-31-2011, 06:07 AM
I've never done anything like this either so I think I'd like to try!

tanteva
08-31-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm preparing food for tomorrow today - will be making a stew in the crockpot today - just heating and making rice tomorrow :)

If I'm correct with my timezone thinking - it's only 23 hrs left til GO!

tailz61
08-31-2011, 06:16 AM
This has to be you Lesley...no one else could be Tailz! Lol!
8);):rolleyes:

Yup tis me the one n only lol...that you Lynne :w

Cabalistic
08-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Woohoo less than 24 hours to go until we begin, am I not the only one brimming with excitement and steaming with anxiety all at once!! :D

mrscwooddell
08-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Guess where I will be at 5am tomorrow morning...lol At my kitchen table drinking coffee and checking this forum! lol ;)

tanteva
08-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Guess where I will be at 5am tomorrow morning...lol At my kitchen table drinking coffee and checking this forum! lol ;)

I'm so happy it's noon my time - I will be awake :DD

My problem is that the IAAF World Championships are now :)

apupplo
08-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Im so excited but I think I am cursing myself this week seeing I have to finish my entry for the Designer Apprentice by Sat and get this new challenge tomorrow to be done by Monday.... what was I thinking????

Linda Renee
08-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I wanted to stop by and wish all the contestants the best. It can be a lot of fun if you don't take it so seriously that you are all stressed out about it. I'll be checking out your entries and might find a bit of time to play along.

Now for a tip I learned about downloading from 4shared and all those other places: a free download manager called Mipony (http://www.mipony.net/en/). I've been using it for awhile and it is a headache saver. You don't see the popup ads or have to keep checking on 4shared. Just copy the URL, and click "download selected" and it does the work for you.

kimberkatt
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Well that's pretty cool, Linda! Thanks for the link! :DD

Also, those of you who have a Windows live ID or hotmail account can use Skydrive for file hosting... it's a direct download, no waiting time and no limit on bandwidth or storage... I've been using it for blog freebies and people love it! ;)

The only bad thing about skydrive is it doesn't keep track of downloads... so I recommend using a URL shortener service, like bit.ly to track clicks on the link to get an estimate of how many times it's been downloaded :))

Aveziur
08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Oh my, 15 days away and this is hot. I'm looking forward to this year contest and I want to wish all good luck and lots of fun.

katlen124
08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
sendspace now tracks the number of downloads.

tanteva
08-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Is there any reason to keep track of the number of downloads? For the contest I mean? Or is it just for one's ego? :)

Ambowife Designs
08-31-2011, 05:05 PM
LOL it's the first here in Aussie Land down under but I have to wait till 2pm before it's the first there ;)
Only 12 hours to go ladies LOL

apupplo
08-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Is there any reason to keep track of the number of downloads? For the contest I mean? Or is it just for one's ego? :)

Usually just for the ego.... at least it has never mattered in any other contest I have participated in.

Ambowife Designs
08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
In my experience, knowing how many have downloaded your freebie is a bit depressing sometimes, because so few leave any love. But that's just me LOL. I have my own hosting with godaddy so I give direct links for my freebies through my own ftp.

Ambowife Designs
08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
meant to mention, no you don't have to track downloads for the contest ;)

kimberkatt
08-31-2011, 06:44 PM
{peeks in}

10 1/2 HOURS TO GO!!!!!!

but who's counting.... 0:)

lindz_e
08-31-2011, 07:13 PM
i am excited to see what everyone does =) I really wanted to do this but.. I might sit back and watch and try next year =) I have a lot to learn.

mollyscraps
08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Join us Lindz_e! You'll learn more than you can imagine!

i am excited to see what everyone does =) I really wanted to do this but.. I might sit back and watch and try next year =) I have a lot to learn.

Cabalistic
08-31-2011, 08:34 PM

The best way to learn is through experience, I am a newbie designer but this might just be the push I need to get going on my designs! Join us! :((

katlen124
08-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Just one more sleep 'till ... 8D

Sunny Day Scraps
09-01-2011, 01:07 AM
whoo Hoo it's the first here in usa just hrs away so excited.

RoseMade
09-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Three hours to go!

Chrismar
09-01-2011, 02:06 AM
I don't know what I was thinking! I'm still a rookie at everything to do with digital designing ... but I want to be a Designer so badly that I gave myself a year to accomplish it. So, even if I don't know anything about this contest, I am excited to learn all I can. It is now 09:06in the morning in South Africa and I'll be checking in regularly ... so, good luck ladies! Any tips that will help rookies like me will be most welcome!

Ambowife Designs
09-01-2011, 02:32 AM
5.5 hours to go, do you have any fingernails left ladies :) LOL
<3

tailz61
09-01-2011, 03:15 AM
2hrs to go....wahooo...can eat my tea, do the dishes and get started...can't wait...been looking forward to this all week :)

Lynn
09-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Less than 2 hours now! Guess that means I should really do some work before it all starts :(

tanteva
09-01-2011, 03:44 AM
1 hr 25 min ... I can't wait to see what the challenge is. Worried about what the theme will be (even though I have an idea - based on a clue given) ... or what if we get a color swatch and it's awful ... or what if we don't get a swatch and have to make one up ourselves ... or ....... gee, I'm thinking too much, aren't I? LOL

tailz61
09-01-2011, 04:11 AM
or what if we get a color swatch and it's awful ... or what if we don't get a swatch and have to make one up ourselves ... or ....... gee, I'm thinking too much, aren't I? LOL

Oh we could only be so lucky to get to chose our own swatch coz as you said what if it's awful lol...only 1hr to go...countdown is definately on now...I'll even be able to get started tonight...where as all those on the other side of the world will have all day :duh:

tanteva
09-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Well ... I have to watch IAAF World Championship too ... I'm addicted LOL Broadcast will start in 20 min ... will have to go upstairs to check the challenge in 50 minutes though ... Oh, and I'm making apple lemonade too ... better go down and finish that too. LOL

Ambowife Designs
09-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Okay I don't know why but I kept thinking it was 9am we were all waiting for, but woo hoo only 7 minutes till it's posting time!!! :) good luck ladies, I can't wait to see what the challenge will be for round 1

Toiny
09-01-2011, 05:01 AM
Eeeek there's a swatch! I remember the year I did the contest (back in the dark ages, of course) and there was a swatch. And it was awful.

lindz_e
09-01-2011, 10:26 AM
ok ladies, thanks for the incouragement , I am going to give it a try =) Everyones excitment has talked me into it ;)

Cabalistic
09-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Yay! I'm fairly new to designing here so it should be fun. I can't wait to see everyone's interpretations of the themes. :D

noirin60
09-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Count me in!

mollyscraps
09-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Wildly OT: What is Apple Lemonade????

Well ... I have to watch IAAF World Championship too ... I'm addicted LOL Broadcast will start in 20 min ... will have to go upstairs to check the challenge in 50 minutes though ... Oh, and I'm making apple lemonade too ... better go down and finish that too. LOL

ladyofthethorns
09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Wildly OT: What is Apple Lemonade????

I want to know too... sound like it would be yum! Please share your recipe. :DD

kcarlsen
09-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Oh I've been waiting for this contest to begin and now we're going on a camping trip in the morning. I hope I can find time to design my mini and get it posted in time. Anybody have a time machine out there? Could really use one right now! LOL! Even if I can't get mine posted, I'll be following along. Hope everyone is having a blast!
-Katrina
PS. ... would also love to hear what apple lemonade is!

tanteva
09-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Remind me later to share the recipe, ok? It's in Swedish, and I would have to both translate and convert measurements .... I have a mini kit to finish first :D

katlen124
09-05-2011, 11:12 PM
sooo sad .... I was uploading my preview at the break of midnight and it wouldn't do the second step ... :(

:O :'(

sigh ... guess that will give me lots more time than I planned this month ... :duh:

Ambowife Designs
09-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I saw it in the gallery at midnight Katlen it's there hun :)