PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Tutorial ♥

anneofalamo
09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
First thank you so much for all the nice comments in this gallery. Many said things about the shadowing, and I have share ...lol, I use actions for my shadows mostly...but I wanted to share a tutorial that helped me a ton, and I am of the mind, learning is the way to go...
I had a designer I CT'd for give everyone on her team this product, (the action), but you don't have to have the action, if you read and do the tutorial.
Shadows by Peppermint (http://frickonastick.com/2010/03/shadow-files-the-basics/)

Renee
09-05-2011, 04:22 PM
TFS, a good shadow gives just that bit of extra to your page. I did a dutch tutorial once which is not very helpful here, but all I can say is "try it out"!!!!!!
Play with your shadows, it's gives your page depth, it brings it to live. It are those pages that shine just that little extra, not knowing why, but it's the shadowing. It is so worth the effort!!!

goddessjoy
09-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Love the tut! It's just too bad that the tut for PSE isn't there :( I'm an Elements user and am really looking for a good drop shadow tut specifically for PSE. Any pointers you'd like to share?? :)

anneofalamo
09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
oh yes! I did PSE for years...let me give you a fun way to get your own layer for shadows...really the only thing major is you don't have warp, but try this. I am pulling this out of my head, as I dont' have elements any longer but oh it works

duplicate element
then change hue to all dark (so it is all black)
**sometimes I use the fill bucket to make the shadow dark purple or brown...kinda cool effect too!
then go to blur (gausian blur) I used between 9-14 depending...
then do the blending option of multiply or linear
change the opacity and you can move that around to get some cool effects for your shadow!!
I will see if I can find some fun tuts for PSE for you!
:D

anneofalamo
09-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I did find this one from Nikki Epperson for PSE (http://nikkieppersondesigns.blogspot.com/2011/01/1-15-pse-shadow-tutorial.html)...it may be a good one to set you up with some.
and Christine shows you how to warp using liquify for your shadows (http://christinesmithdigital.blogspot.com/2008/01/warped-shadows-or-photos-in-pse.html)...this one rocks!

my favorite part of scrapping I think is learning new ways to do it!! woot

msbrad
09-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Super tut Anne.Thanks so much for sharing.
m

goddessjoy
09-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks so much, Anne!! That tutorial on how to liquefy and warp? PERFECT!

anneofalamo
09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks so much, Anne!! That tutorial on how to liquefy and warp? PERFECT!
and wow did you kick it on your page :DD I love learning and I can tell you do too...makes ya' feel good to get your page to "kick it up a notch" :love:

Toiny
09-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks Anne! I liked the liquify technique. That gives the bend a more even, uh, bend than using the warp tool. I love learning new ways to do the old stuff.

goddessjoy
09-13-2011, 03:41 PM
and wow did you kick it on your page :DD I love learning and I can tell you do too...makes ya' feel good to get your page to "kick it up a notch" :love:

Thanks! Yes ma'am I love learning! It keeps life interesting! Thanks so much for sharing! :love:

kimberkatt
09-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Nice tutorials Anne, I'm a tutorial collector, I love them!

If you guys want more tips, techniques & tutorials for PSE, head on over to Misty Cato's blog (http://mistycatodesigns.com/tutorials/), she has TONS of them!

I especially loved the drop shadow tut, it uses the Distort>Wave feature which I use on every layout, it really helps with making the shadow look real because no shadow ever falls with perfectly straight edges ;) Unfortunately, it's not on her new site :'( but I may be able to help since I've pretty much memorized it! lol

first, you want to create a new layer under your element/paper layer you want to shadow
Hit Ctrl+click on your element thumbnail in the layers palette, so you get the marching ants around your object
Make sure you are on your new layer under your object, then fill with black/dk grey/brown/etc.. this will be your shadow layer
Deselect, then move your shadow layer until it looks the way you want it to - I generally use the arrow keys to move, if it's a paper I do 2 down, 2 to the right (I'm a right-side shadow girl), elements depends on the element and how far away I want it to appear on my page...
Turn down your opacity to around 40-50%, maybe more if it's too dark, this is really your own opinion here
Change your blend mode to Multiply, this allows the shadow to bleed into the background, instead of looking like it's painted over the top of it
Go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and play with the numbers until it's blurred the way you want, I usually range between 5-13
Next, got to Filter>Distort>Wave -

Number of generators = 5 (should be default)
Wavelength Min = 440
Wavelength Max = 758
Amplitude Min = 1
Amplitude Max = 3-5 (or more depending on the amount of wave you want)
Scale Horizontal = 100% (default)
Scale Vertical = 100% (default)
Type = Sine (should be default)
Undefined Areas = Repeat Edge Pixels (should be default)

And that's it! Play around with the numbers in the Wave filter and you'll get different effects, but these are the numbers I stick with most of the time ;)

Also, once your done and you feel like you need to move pieces more, use your lasso tool and select those pieces of the shadow you want to adjust, then reblur using Gaussian blur if you need to

these are all little things I used when I only had PSE, it takes a bit of time to get used to them and be comfortable with the techniques, but it really does make your shadows awesome! I use a soft dk grey or brown for my shadows, depending on the colors of the page, it gives it a more natural effect :DD