PDA

View Full Version : NDC 2011 Round 4: Midnight

Toiny
09-22-2011, 05:14 AM
You made it. Finals time. Are you ready? I'm soooooooo ready. Let's hop to it.

The top THREE in this final round win not only Designer offers at theStudio, but also a Bamboo by Wacom. Now is your time to shine, now is your time to show me you. This round there is very little from me, and an awful lot from you.

There is a theme, to close out our running "Every Day" theme this year: Midnight. You are not getting a palette, you do not have to use this as the kit name. Be as creative as you'd like!

There are only five, very important rules this round:

You must have an Alpha (this counts as 1 element).
Use the theme.
This must be a brand NEW kit.
This must be in the gallery, with download links, by 23:59PM September 26.
Maximum size may not exceed 14 papers, 40 elements.

Other than that... well... it's a free-for-all. Have fun & be you!

Good luck!

(links are coming, school is out in 4 minutes!)
Gallery is HERE
Layouts Gallery is HERE

Ambowife Designs
09-22-2011, 05:18 AM
I have to say this is my favourite round, you get to be you and show us what you can create. I am ready for you all to blow me away with your best kit ever. Good Luck to you all, I'm so excited to know that three of you will be part of our team very soon :)

tailz61
09-22-2011, 05:20 AM
kinda glad I'm out of this now...phew...I can breathe a sigh of relief sit back and watch what everyone comes up with...thoroughly enjoyed myself and will be back next year if you'll have me :)

Ambowife Designs
09-22-2011, 05:24 AM
of course we'll have you next year. :) we love all of you <3

ladyofthethorns
09-22-2011, 06:24 AM

8| Eeeek! No minimum? .... I like boundaries. :l

prettyingreen
09-22-2011, 06:29 AM
There are only five, very important rules this round:

You must have an Alpha (this counts as 1 element).
Use the theme.
This must be a brand NEW kit.
This must be in the gallery, with download links, by 23:59PM September 26.

Other than that... well... it's a free-for-all. Have fun & be you!

ok so here are my questions,
is it a full alpha? by that i mean upper and lowercase? my normal alphas are just lowercase.
by brand NEW kit i'm assuming you mean a kit that has not been released before,
what is the minimum size?

MozzM
09-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Oh congrats Ladies :)
This should be a fun, if not nail biting round..
All the best to you all..

Toiny
09-22-2011, 08:18 AM
How much of an alpha is totally up to you. I frequently do just one or the other, and I'm not a huge numbers fan. However, I'm not the only one voting...

By brandnew I do mean one that's never been released before, not for sale, not for free. Now if you have something started that fits perfectly with "Midnight", you are sitting pretty:D

ok so here are my questions,
is it a full alpha? by that i mean upper and lowercase? my normal alphas are just lowercase.
by brand NEW kit i'm assuming you mean a kit that has not been released before,
what is the minimum size?

kimberkatt
09-22-2011, 08:27 AM
OMGosh, I'm sooooo excited for this round!! I can't wait to see what you all create!! :((

MsKaty
09-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Congrats to the winners and Good Luck!

ladyofthethorns
09-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Hmm... I noticed how Toiny didn't answer the question that both prettyingreen and I asked about a minimum requirement... I wonder (scratching my head) did she inadvertently overlook the question or is there some sort of subliminal message in her non-answer? ...hmm.

kimberkatt
09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't believe there is a minimum, you just can't go over the maximum, this round is all you and what you have to offer! ;)

Janet-B
09-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Congrats on moving to the finals! I can't wait to see what y'all will do!! I'm excited to see who will join us!

ktanker
09-22-2011, 09:53 AM
I am hoping CU is allowed... lol...
I have some ideas already but the pressure is on...

Toiny
09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
*snort* Rose! I'm not caving. No boundaries for you. This is truly all about you. C'mon down!

Hmm... I noticed how Toiny didn't answer the question that both prettyingreen and I asked about a minimum requirement... I wonder (scratching my head) did she inadvertently overlook the question or is there some sort of subliminal message in her non-answer? ...hmm.

Maurine Stettler
09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with this round! Have fun...

ladyofthethorns
09-22-2011, 11:18 AM
*snort* Rose! I'm not caving. No boundaries for you. This is truly all about you. C'mon down!

Thank you for at least acknowledging the 'non-answered' question. :l This at least provides a bit of comfort in the boundary bound woman that I am. :rolleyes:

prettyingreen
09-22-2011, 11:39 AM
LOL thanks :) i think i found my colors, we'll see what i come up with lol

SnickerdoodleDesigns
09-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Sounds like we are in for another fun round! Congrats to everyone!

Paper Capers Designs
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
I am thrilled with this challenge - I have a color scheme I started three days ago that is perfect! The challenge literally fell into my lap! I'm LOVING it!!

momto7
09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Oh what a wonderfully talented list of competitors for the final round. '
Good Luck to all.

ladyofthethorns
09-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I am thrilled with this challenge - I have a color scheme I started three days ago that is perfect! The challenge literally fell into my lap! I'm LOVING it!!
How wonderful for you! You go girl!

ladyofthethorns
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I think it's funny to say not more than 14 papers and 40elements. Someone will do 20 papers, and 60 elements and win! They've been doing it all along and winning. I really don't get it.. this so confuses me.

ie, ladyofthe thorns had at least one cu item, the green frame, which I also have but in multicolors, it's a dover item and she won anyway? That I don't get either. Totally confusing. Unless I guess she scanned it herself out of the dover book and it's ok. But that's still confusing to me.

I hope I'm not being a pain here. But every round there's someone going on to the next round that didn't stick to the rules. More papers or elements and they still win. Are these only suggestions??
I've never been in a digital contest before so I don't really know how they work. so sorry for being a dunce about it.

Congrats to the winners anyway, liked the look of all the kits, they were lovely.
I can see your concern here and how you might believe that I used a CU item but I did not. The item to which you are referring may very well be something available through Dover publications as Dover publications offers images that are found in the public domain.

For my frame, I scanned a page inside an old book that I own, published in the 1800s (it's a Rudyard Kipling book actually and I can provide a photograph of that book and that page if necessary). I then used that scanned image to create the version of the frame you see. If you consider the images and prints of the time, those that are in the public domain, and the exorbitant cost for them to print books and such at the time, then it's easy to see how these images appear again and again. I tried to make the image different than the standard ones you find via public domain image providers, such as Dover Publications, but perhaps it wasn't quite unique enough to make it something that is less 'theirs' and more 'mine'.

I'm sorry if you think that I somehow cheated and I'm sorry if you feel cheated but I assure you I did not.

It does NOT feel good to be accused of cheating, especially in a public way; please, if Toiny or any of the admin on staff here wish to pursue this matter with me, please, let's do it outside the forum. I will provide whatever it is you wish in order to prove that I did not use Dover Publication products or anyone else's in the making of my 'Time to Remember' kit.

jodyt
09-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Congratulations girls, watching and waiting to see what you come up with here...

Enchanted
09-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Congrats to all that moved on!

Rose i'm in your corner! Good Luck! ^_^

prettyingreen
09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
i've got a good start to my kit i may even finish it tomorrow, DH will be gone almost all day yey! lol

btmo-Pat
09-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Really creative Round 3 girls. I too am excited to see what you all will come up with for the Midnight theme this round. Have a creative week and Best of Luck to each of you.
:)

Ambowife Designs
09-23-2011, 12:05 AM
to whom it may concern ;)

if we had any concerns about anybody's kit we would never deal with it publicly, that's just not our thing, everything in matters like that would be handled privately.

If any of you have concerns about fairness or rulebreaking contact Toiny by pm privately. She'll be only to happy to clear up any questions or confusion you may have ;)

Ambowife Designs
09-23-2011, 12:07 AM
By the way just so you know, I will be quality checking the last 10 kits in this round. So keep your quality high ladies ;) it will effect my vote though I am not sure the other judges will be as picky as me rofl ;) (evil laugh!!!) 3:)

Ambowife Designs
09-23-2011, 12:14 AM
I am hoping CU is allowed... lol...
I have some ideas already but the pressure is on...

yes cu is allowed, you can use all that you would use if you were making a kit to put in your store. As long as you don't breach copyright or cu designers' tou's anything goes :)

and don't go over the quantity limit Toiny set ;)

Toiny
09-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Hello all, thought I'd pop in too, since this is a very weighty subject. People do break the rules, almost always unintentionally, I do contact them privately. It does happen that people are disqualified, it has happened this contest. It breaks my heart to do it.

I strive to make this a warm, welcoming environment where people can learn and support each other. We are here to help each other grow as artists, and I find kindness, understanding and respecting work well. I am always available via PM or email if you need me. I do take all concerns seriously.

I do work hard to ensure all winning entries abide by the rules, however, it is impossible to know every CU item as a bought item. Even with the entire Design team helping me, this is where PMs sent before the decision has been made is helpful.

Any errors made in counting elements and papers prior to the Winner Announcement is entirely mine and I sincerely apologize for my mistake. I will count very diligently this round. All entries moving on to round 4 will continue to move on.

Kind regards,

Toiny

Enchanted
09-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd just like to say Thank you Tracy & Toiny!

vickyday
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm with you, Rose! I need to have boundaries, or else I have a tendency to go HOG WILD! No pun intended, piggy! :XX Best wishes, ladies!

8| Eeeek! No minimum? .... I like boundaries. :l

ladyofthethorns
09-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm with you, Rose! I need to have boundaries, or else I have a tendency to go HOG WILD! No pun intended, piggy! :XX Best wishes, ladies!

Heehee, good thing there is a Maximum then, huh? Wouldn't want you to turn into the energizer bunny or something like that! :l

littlespooky
09-23-2011, 08:30 PM
got my alpha done, busy googling looking for images to get ideas from...this will be fun, i feel really crappy right now, i have a sore throat and runny nose..ugh! i drank some theraflu hope i can get the kit done

Ambowife Designs
09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
aww don't get run down Carmen, hope you get it finished hun and don't get sick!!

msbrad
09-23-2011, 09:30 PM
got my alpha done, busy googling looking for images to get ideas from...this will be fun, i feel really crappy right now, i have a sore throat and runny nose..ugh! i drank some theraflu hope i can get the kit done

try zicam...the ones that melt in your mouth not your nose. Hang in there. I've enjoyed all your entries.
m

SnickerdoodleDesigns
09-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Oh, absolutely, Carmen! The Rapid Melt Zicam... it really works, or has for me anyway. Cut my last cold in half by time and symtoms.. just as promised on the package. ;)

jencdesigns
09-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Very exciting! Can't wait to see what the finalists create! :)

prettyingreen
09-24-2011, 07:58 AM

oh sounds like your getting what i just had! its no fun! i hope you can get you kit done!

prettyingreen
09-24-2011, 07:59 AM
mine is half done, i think i would have finished it yesterday if i would of focused lol

kimberkatt
09-24-2011, 08:38 AM

{cough} {cough} {sneeze}.... I know how you feel....... pass the tissues..... AAAACHOOOOOO!!!! :blech:

I have to go start my layout for Scrapping Survivor.... it's only due tomorrow.... :rolleyes: :duh:

prettyingreen
09-24-2011, 10:56 AM
i did my survivor layout as soon as i started feeling better

kimberkatt
09-24-2011, 01:00 PM
I haven't been in to peek at any of them yet, I try to stay clear of the gallery until mines done and uploaded or I tend to copy-cat subconsciously! lol :))

littlespooky
09-24-2011, 05:54 PM
els better but i am still achy....got some papers and elements done...should be okay to get it done by the deadline...i will have to try the zicam too if it works that good..thanks everybody! can't wait to see your entries....xoxo

prettyingreen
09-24-2011, 09:47 PM
mine's done :D and it's beautiful! i've just got to QC it and upload so it prolly wont get in until monday, since i'll be out all day tomorrow.

littlespooky
09-24-2011, 11:00 PM
mine is getting there and i am loving it..heehee! can't wait to see your kit rachel!!!

donakat
09-25-2011, 03:07 AM
By the way just so you know, I will be quality checking the last 10 kits in this round. So keep your quality high ladies ;) it will effect my vote though I am not sure the other judges will be as picky as me rofl ;) (evil laugh!!!) 3:)

Hope you can answer a question about a problem I'm having with this round's kit. I've got a dark palette, and the dark blue is difficult to keep in gamut (the gamut is really small for the dark blue range). I get it corrected by changing to CMYK, then back to RGB, save the paper or element, check the gamut again and it's ok. Then I close the file and reopen, and the gamut check shows more out of gamut pixels. I'm tearing my hair out over this, because it keeps happening. I'm wondering why, thought it might have something to do with the compression of saving to jpg, but it's happening with png files, too. Help!!

Toiny
09-25-2011, 04:37 AM
That's an interesting one Dona. Try dragging the element into a new file, make sure the gamut, color profile, everything is set consistent, save as a completely new file, when you save do not save as "optimized". See if anything like that works?

I wish I knew the magic answer to this one.

ladyofthethorns
09-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Hope you can answer a question about a problem I'm having with this round's kit. I've got a dark palette, and the dark blue is difficult to keep in gamut (the gamut is really small for the dark blue range). I get it corrected by changing to CMYK, then back to RGB, save the paper or element, check the gamut again and it's ok. Then I close the file and reopen, and the gamut check shows more out of gamut pixels. I'm tearing my hair out over this, because it keeps happening. I'm wondering why, thought it might have something to do with the compression of saving to jpg, but it's happening with png files, too. Help!!

Same exact thing is happening with me (happened in round 3 too... some may remember I posted about my colors 'changing') but yesterday, cutting severely into my design time, I did a rather exhaustive search and test on all the options for changing the color profiles, embedding or not, and saving. I finally found a process that keeps the files 'clean' after saving. I will work on putting together for you now (with screenshots) but I wanted to post this first to let you know it was coming.

ladyofthethorns
09-25-2011, 10:25 AM

Same exact thing is happening with me (happened in round 3 too... some may remember I posted about my colors 'changing') but yesterday, cutting severely into my design time, I did a rather exhaustive search and test on all the options for changing the color profiles, embedding or not, and saving. I finally found a process that keeps the files 'clean' after saving. I will work on putting together for you now (with screenshots) but I wanted to post this first to let you know it was coming.

I don't have time to get into the 'Whys' and 'Wherefores' about all of this at this time so I'm just presenting you with the basic steps to follow to produce gamut 'safe' end products... and my apologies for the BIG images, I didn't know the limitations of this site and, well, as you know, I have time constraints (wink).

Set your default color settings to Adobe RGB rather than to sRGB (This can, and has been, debated by many but the short of it is, Adobe RGB gives you a larger pallette with which to work and your end results are brighter then what you’ll get with sRGB and since you'll be processing them to be gamut safe anyway, there should be no 'color problems' arising from your end results.)http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/ladyofthethorns/Misc/Step1.jpg
Be sure that your New Documents use the color profile of Adobe RGB (1998).http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/ladyofthethorns/Misc/Step2.jpg
Change the color mode (not the profile) to CMYK (But first, be sure to save your project and then delete all unused layers and merge the used ones (don't flatten, just merge - I use the Ctrl + E option after selecting all the layers in the layers tool box).http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/ladyofthethorns/Misc/Step3.jpg
Revert back to RGB mode.http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/ladyofthethorns/Misc/Step4.jpg

Aside from checking the gamut again on all the finished files, the key to knowing you've succeeded is to check the file properties (you can see this on .jpg files but not .png), the color calibration should show as 'uncalibrated' and not as 'sRGB'.

I sure do hope this helps you!

Paper Capers Designs
09-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I would just like to say that I think my kit is lonely in the gallery all by itself.....LOL

Enchanted
09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Wow! great tut Rose, i'll have to fix my settings when i get home on my computer. i'm out at a friends house and using my netbook.

ktanker
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I would just like to say that I think my kit is lonely in the gallery all by itself.....LOL

It's really good. Mine was on a roll yesterday but then I saved as a flattened image by mistake and everything is uneditable now, lol... DO OVER... Yesterday was just ummm, practice?:duh:

ladyofthethorns
09-25-2011, 07:05 PM

I really don't know how you, or any of the other speedy designers, can manage to do a kit so quickly... I'm amazed, impressed and jealous, LOL. I'm a slow designer, very slow... I've never been able to take the ideas in my head and easily translate it into an art form, regardless of the medium. For me it's a a constant learning process; I often start out trying to accomplish one thing but then end up with something else entirely, LOL, which then leads me on another path then the one on which I started. :l I'm sure that one day I'll be totally bonkers as a result!

Paper Capers Designs
09-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Rose -
I am not as fast as you think on this one...as I had previously mentioned I had started this kit several days before the contest subject was announce - I did it for me - truly - it's a color combo I love - my bedroom is done in these colors. And because this is the color combo I would have chosen for "midnight" - I went with it.

Also - I use a lot of styles, actions, brushes, etc. It's just how I design. I have just learned the art of extraction - the word scared me silly about 6 months ago.

At the same time - I could never create what you do. Everybody has a different perspective, and therefore, creates something different - even with the same theme and color palette (not that we were given a color palette this time...)

I am sure you will have something wonderful in the gallery by the deadline!

littlespooky
09-25-2011, 07:57 PM
It's really good. Mine was on a roll yesterday but then I saved as a flattened image by mistake and everything is uneditable now, lol... DO OVER... Yesterday was just ummm, practice?:duh:

eek! i hate when i do that and before i got my new pc with tons of ram i would forget to keep saving stuff and ps would quit....i hope you can get it done...have to more elements to do the rest are saved and qced and i have to qc my papers yet

littlespooky
09-25-2011, 07:58 PM

i know i keep looking to see if there are any more..lol! i think i might be #2 in the gallery if i get done tonight but i only have an hour until bedtime so i might have to finish up after work

msbrad
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I think you did great...but I'm not a judge, ...just an old scrapper highly opinionated.

Send to me.... I'm here for you.S
Super

Super- you nailed this and how wonderful you are sharing!

I make my rounds in digi land. I am thrilled you shared this.
You are super.
m

littlespooky
09-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks Rose for the awesome tut!!! as a designer i am still always learning i guess that is how we all get better..sssssooooo! i had to show you my preview. since hallowwen is right around the corner i had to do a witchy/wiccan kit with of course a full moon in it..btw,,i adore the moon...everything is checked and ready to be put in folders and then zipped and 4shared will have to do that tommorrow after work.
here is my preview. i am very happy with it...i never used posers before but i liked these..i changed them up a bit..

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc207/crazysombrero/LBC_WH_KIT_PREVIEW.jpg

littlespooky
09-25-2011, 09:07 PM
eek i just noticed should i put 39 elements and 1 alpha???

ladyofthethorns
09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
eek i just noticed should i put 39 elements and 1 alpha???

Toiny said Alpha counts as 1 element and no more than 40 elements total so I think, Yes, you need to be sure you have 39 plus alpha. Also, I noticed your preview doesn't have a lot of shadowing, you might want to change that. ;)

Paper Capers Designs
09-25-2011, 09:53 PM

I think we've all done this - hopefully it was just the preview and everything else was left in tact!

I am just dying to see everybody else's creations!! I assume the gallery will fill quickly tomorrow! Can't wait!!

donakat
09-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Thank you a heap, Rose, for that great tut on changing the color space. It seems to have worked on my problem papers and elements. I did have to fiddle quite a bit with one paper to get it to be in gamut and also fit my notion of what it should look like. :)). I, too, am a slow designer, and probably too perfectionistic, but we are what we are, right? Thanks again, you're a peach! Almost done...

ladyofthethorns
09-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Thank you a heap, Rose, for that great tut on changing the color space. It seems to have worked on my problem papers and elements. I did have to fiddle quite a bit with one paper to get it to be in gamut and also fit my notion of what it should look like. :)). I, too, am a slow designer, and probably too perfectionistic, but we are what we are, right? Thanks again, you're a peach! Almost done...

You're welcome, I'm always happy to help whenever I am able. So glad it helped!

As for almost done... OK, I'm jealous. I've been glued to my computer all day every day since Thursday (except for a few hours while attending a birthday party of a family member). My papers are finished (finally) but I've only 10 out of the 40 elements. And oh, :duh: I keep forgetting about the alpha, yikes!

Well, it's after midnight for me... my pumpkin stage coach never EVEN arrived, hmpf, :l I guess I should try to get a little sleep before digging in for the whole day again tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be wiping sweat from my brow by the end of the day!

Night all. :)

tailz61
09-26-2011, 03:23 AM
geez your lucky rose to be able to have all that time...I'm glad I didn't make this round as I would've bombed as I work full time and just wouldn't have had time to complete something this large in such a short space of time...good luck everyone can't wait too see what you all come up with and also who the winners are.

littlespooky
09-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Toiny said Alpha counts as 1 element and no more than 40 elements total so I think, Yes, you need to be sure you have 39 plus alpha. Also, I noticed your preview doesn't have a lot of shadowing, you might want to change that. ;)

i know toiny said the alpha counts as an element but should i list the alpha on my preview and then 39 elements..is what i am saying. and Rose that tutorial really helped alot..i know i didn't put any shadows on my preview just on the packaging cause i was hurrying to show you..can't wait to see everyone's kits...xoxo

Toiny
09-26-2011, 05:59 AM
Yes Carmen, list it as XX papers, 39 Elements plus an Alpha (or similar). Smooch!

donakat
09-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Whew, finally done! Despite the trouble I had with the gamut business for this kit, I am loving how it turned out. Hope you all agree!
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/data/1322/donakat_MidnightGarden_pvw.jpg (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/ndc-2011-3a-round-4/p83956-midnight-garden-by-donakat.html)

littlespooky
09-26-2011, 06:33 AM
yeah Dona! so pretty!!! i was deciding between a midnight garden theme or the witchy one, but since i was in the halloweeny mood i went with the witchy one! okay i redid my preview with some shadowing lol Rose..heehee here is the linkie to the gallery
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/member-galleries/p83957-the-witching-hour.html

ladyofthethorns
09-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Wow, so far everyone's kit is fabulous! And so very different from one another, I'm always fascinated with how just one word can prompt such a variety of creative things. :)

And tailz61, yes, I think I am lucky to have the time too. I know for SURE that I'd not be doing this at all if I had anything close to a full-time job! LOL, as it is, there are a lot of things that don't get done because of my time doing this... I might just have to take a vacation from my computer to do some work (scratching head)... crazy, huh?

littlespooky
09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
let's go Rose! I want to see your kit!! heehee!! and everyone else too!!!

prettyingreen
09-26-2011, 11:11 AM
mine's up Midnight Air (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/ndc-2011-3a-round-4/p83965-midnight-air-by-pretty-in-green.html)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/glamrockingirl/PinG_MidnightAir.jpg

ladyofthethorns
09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
let's go Rose! I want to see your kit!! heehee!! and everyone else too!!!

LOL, you'll have to wait awhile longer, Hun... most likely until the midnight deadline (oh, how appropriate of a deadline given the 'theme'). But wouldn't you know??!!! I'm having problems with Photoshop now!!! I totally lost my Alpha .psd file - won't open at all, tells me 'Could not complete request because of a program error.' And now, after working on recoloring an item I scanned, wouldn't you know, I can't do anything now - getting the same error!! I had to use the task manager to close PS because it wouldn't close either.

This is an absolute first for me, I've never had software issues of a technical nature before with PSCS5 - but gee isn't it interesting that it's happening now!?

I'm off to reboot my computer and hope that helps.

donakat
09-26-2011, 02:17 PM
LOL, you'll have to wait awhile longer, Hun... most likely until the midnight deadline (oh, how appropriate of a deadline given the 'theme'). But wouldn't you know??!!! I'm having problems with Photoshop now!!! I totally lost my Alpha .psd file - won't open at all, tells me 'Could not complete request because of a program error.' And now, after working on recoloring an item I scanned, wouldn't you know, I can't do anything now - getting the same error!! I had to use the task manager to close PS because it wouldn't close either.

This is an absolute first for me, I've never had software issues of a technical nature before with PSCS5 - but gee isn't it interesting that it's happening now!?

I'm off to reboot my computer and hope that helps.

When I get this error, Rose, it's because I accidentally saved with a mismatch between the file type and the extension, such as putting alpha.png, and saving as a Photoshop file. That kicks back the message and PS won't open it. My fix is to open the file in Graphic Converter (available as a shareware download) and resave it there in the appropriate (layered or not) file format. Hope this may work for you, too.

ADBDesign {anita_d}
09-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Oh what a difficult time I had with this kit. I finally uploaded it moments ago. Now I can relax a minute.
Here is previewhttp://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/data/1322/ADB_Midnight-Curfew_preview600.jpg

Paper Capers Designs
09-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Anita - it's BEAUTIFUL!!!

Ambowife Designs
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Diane that is lovely hun :)

Ambowife Designs
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Please us sRGB for your designing, it is industry standard here at the studio. AdobeRGB won't print properly so sRGB is our requirement here at the studio :)

MrsCC
09-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Please us sRGB for your designing, it is industry standard here at the studio. AdobeRGB won't print properly so sRGB is our requirement here at the studio :)

I'm confused . . .

In my color management settings (I have Elements 9) it gives me the option to optimize for computers screens which would be the sRGB settting OR to optimize for printing which is the AdobeRGB setting.

I previously had it set to the sRGB and wasn't getting the colors I expected when printing here at home. Since I switched to the AdobeRGB setting, printing looks and turns out much better.

Would these settings be different if I were to have an outside service printing pages? Just curious.

donakat
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM

Hope this doesn't throw a wrench in the works if we used AdobeRGB for this kit, as I did. It was the solution to my gamut problem. Do you want things changed for the contest?

Ambowife Designs
09-26-2011, 10:23 PM
no you should be fine I checked your kit already and it wasn't everything :) I just don't want the winners to have to go changing a whole kit because it's not print friendly

Ambowife Designs
09-26-2011, 10:26 PM
All our designers use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and all the designers I buy cu stuff from use it too. Maybe elements is different but that is was Toiny wants us to use and that's what I check for when I am quality checking.

bettylynnsdesign
09-26-2011, 10:41 PM
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/gallery/data/1322/spookytreat_bld_wk4_ndc_preview.jpg

Here is my kit for this weeks challenge.
My inspiration this round was a Spooky Midnight Snack.
I really hope you enjoy using this kit because I really had alot of fun creating it.

Kit Contains: 39 elements
6 patterned papers & 6 solid papers
1 alpha

1 bat
1 moon
1 vampire
1 castle
2 bows
1 bone
3 buttons
3 stars
1 paint spray
1 scattered stars
1 cat
1 owl
1 tree
2 lollipops
1 ghost
1 clock
1 candy piece
2 frames
1 candy corn
1 spider
1 cobweb
2 journal tags
1 ghost
3 ribbons
1 silly pumpkin
4 word art tags
1 alpha

you can download my kit here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/rz8A-v3t/spookytreat_bld_wk4_ndc.html

ladyofthethorns
09-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Oh my... I finally finished, well not finished exactly, just has to stop to package and upload. :l And only minutes to spare, phew!

Boy AM I TIRED!

I've been thinking about all the reasons why I might not win and then, when I saw all the fabulous kits in the gallery, I added one more reason to my list, or rather 8 more (there were 8 there where I uploaded).

Now I need to go car shopping. :DD

Good luck all you awesome ladies!

donakat
09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Tracy!

Ambowife Designs
09-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Great job Ladies, everyone got their kits up in time and now entries are CLOSED, good luck to you all the gallery looks amazing. hugs and best wishes!!

Aveziur
09-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Downloading all the kits. I'm going to check it and learn from you too!!! Great kits.

prettyingreen
09-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Beautiful work ladies! Good luck to you all, I know I have a top 4 so i don’t envy the judges :)

kimberkatt
09-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Squeeeeeeeeee!!!! I'm off to download and play, play, play!! :((

ktanker
09-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm a nervous wreck... everyone did so good... Do we really have to wait til Thursday? lol

SnipsNSnails
09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes! It's going to take me that long to figure out how to narrow all these gorgeous entries down!

littlespooky
09-27-2011, 01:01 PM
is there another way to fix your colors if you get a gamut warning thingie??heehee

littlespooky
09-27-2011, 01:03 PM
what a difficult decision the judges will have. there are so many different styles of designing here and with the different judges they may not like a certain style..eek!

2girlsandadog
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
You gals must be going crazy right about now!! All of the kits are gorgeous and I'm off to download!
Good luck to all of you:XX

Paper Capers Designs
09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't want to wait until Thursday either!! LOL I agree with Rachel - I have it down to four/five as well! Can somebody tell us the specific parameters you're looking at? Not that it will help us now, but.... lol

SnickerdoodleDesigns
09-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, it's been a wild past few days for me, and I assume from the timing of the kits that were coming in, you all might feel the same way. I totally crashed after uploading my kit last night, then had to go to my "day job" today... so I am just now headed over to the gallery to take a good look at what's been going on there. I know it sounds totally cheesy, but I think we're all winners no matter the outcome here.

kimberkatt
09-28-2011, 08:24 AM
I have to agree, Karen... all of the kits submitted in this round are top notch! I love every single one of them and it was super-duper hard to make a vote... which is probably why I haven't voted yet!! LOL! You guys are one uber talented bunch!! :XX

Marie
09-28-2011, 09:01 AM
All our designers use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and all the designers I buy cu stuff from use it too. Maybe elements is different but that is was Toiny wants us to use and that's what I check for when I am quality checking.

Wish i was able to see your mail.... at the time you sent it it was middle of the night here on 09/27......wouldn't have changed my settings as Rose screenshots suggested...
Wouldn't have try to fix the Gamut and ended with plenty jaggies (followed a tutorial was the first time i was using this tool and didn't know it was messing up the whole thing)
As Pierre de Coubertin said : Important is to participate

ktanker
09-28-2011, 03:00 PM
I am thinking about how tomorrow is Thursday and I am SO excited but like Vickilyn said earlier, I am really curious how the winners are picked. Mostly because I had TWO stray pixels (and I checked that! and my stinky element folder did not rename (I just noticed that today). I also used shapes to help me do my elements since I am still learning how to do those. I also had several doodles (good ones) that I just didn't get time to clean up and color/texturize. I too have about 4 kits picked out that I think could easily win (not including mine!!)

GOOD LUCK everyone!

SnickerdoodleDesigns
09-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I finally got a cluster posted on my blog, for those of you interested in picking it up: http://snickerdoodledesignsbykaren.com/category/categories

It was designed by Kabra, a member of my Creative Team, and is simply adorable!!!!!

msbrad
09-28-2011, 05:29 PM
I have to agree, Karen... all of the kits submitted in this round are top notch! I love every single one of them and it was super-duper hard to make a vote... which is probably why I haven't voted yet!! LOL! You guys are one uber talented bunch!! :XX

Well....how about keeping more than 3 then, just a thought. ;)
Y'all are all winners, Ladies. Congrats to all who completed and thank you for the generosity of your kits.
All the best in digi-land.
m

katlen124
09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
no picked my first choice theme of midnight munchies!! :D

Ambowife Designs
09-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Don't stress ladies, there are many factors in making a decision about who to vote for and it's different for each of us I would think. For me it's quality, preview appeal, how unique the elements and papers are and scrapability, palette choice (whether the colors work together) it's basically the things that make me go wow when I buy a kit.

Downsides would be thing that make me groan when I've bought a kit, like quality errors galore or heaps of recolored papers or elements.

hope that helps some of you ladies :) and by the way, no designer is perfect with every kit they create, everyone has a quality error now and then so don't beat yourself up over one stray or a folder not named right. We're all human ;)