theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself! (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   New from DC (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12920)

Kittie 01-17-2013 11:43 AM

New from DC

Hi All! :)

I'm new to the board. I am graphic designer that is coming off a long hiatus. I own my own digital crafting and clipart site and am trying to expand my skills. For years, I have used Paint Shop Pro exclusively but I am finding it harder and harder to find good tools, scripts, etc for PSP. Everything these days seems to be geared to Photoshop.

I own CS2 & CS3 and have dabbled with Photoshop a bit but find it hard to convert my skills from PSP to CS3. For instance, this will probably make you pro's laugh, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to use paper to fill a font and outline it. In PSP, it's so easy! I just pick the foreground as a color to outline the font and pick the background as the paper and type my word but in PS, I think I need a master's degree or something to figure it out! LOL! I'm sure it's just something easy that I'm missing but it's that kind of frustrating thing that makes me wander back to my old friend PSP.

Anywho, on a personal note, I am married to by best friend for 24 years and we have 5 boys. We live in the Washington, DC Metro area. I design from home and homeschool my children.

I hope everyone is having a great day! :))

ladysaint 01-17-2013 12:02 PM

Re: New from DC

Welcome Kittie! This is a wonderful site to belong to. Everyone is just so wonderful and fun.

On PS...I think this is correct. You type your text in the color you want the outline, then use the paint bucket tool to fill with the color of your choice inside the lettering... you can also outline with a stroke of a different color you choose under "add a layer style". You can also use glitter ps styles and such which you can get at The Studio. Hope this helps!

Good Luck with PS...there are tons of videos on youtube if you get stumped.
Toni Ann

Kittie 01-17-2013 12:07 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the point in the right direction, Toni Ann! Let's see if I can get it to work! LOL! :D

Toiny 01-17-2013 12:32 PM

I hear you on PS! It's got an infinite amount of ways to do stuff... it makes it really hard to find the one thing you want to do. I think I learn something new every time I open it.

The way to use your paper with your font is to use a clipping mask. Layer your paper above your font, then in the layers palette right-click, and choose "Create Clipping Mask". You can adjust the border, font in the fx on the font layer itself.

Welcome! I'm excited to have you join our crowd.

Kittie 01-17-2013 02:14 PM

I'll give that a whirl too, Toiny! Soooo much to learn! I know what and where things are in PSP but in PS it's like visiting a foreign country and everything is in a different language! LOL!

BTW is a site banner okay in my signature line or is that a no-no. I don't want to get in trouble. <giggle> ;)