theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage Layout of the Month Contest (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   April Challenge - Military Heroes (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1974)

JanW. 04-01-2008 03:24 PM

April Challenge - Military Heroes

The Challenge is closed and it is time to vote. You can view the layouts HERE and then cast your vote in the poll above. Thanks everyone for participating. There are some beautiful layouts in the gallery, good luck everyone!!

Challenge Details:

Layouts must be posted to the Heritage LO of the Month Gallery between April 1st and April 15. Post a link in this thread so that we can leave some love in the gallery.

Layouts must be made with SAS Designer products, either from the boutique or freebies from the designer's blog.

You may submit more than one layout.

Your "Military Hero" may be an ancestor, spouse, or descendant. He/She may have served during any War or may have served during a time of Peace.

Please include at least one photo of your hero and include journaling to tell their story.

On April 16th a poll will be posted so that a winner may be chosen. The winner will receive a coupon for use in the SAS Boutique.

Looking forward to seeing those layouts! If there are questions, please ask. Good Luck everyone.

Hugs,
JanW.

ladyofthethorns 04-01-2008 06:42 PM

I love this idea/topic Jan! I've been mulling over what to do about the bits and pieces I have for my father's military years so this will give me just the boost I need to get started on it. Should be fun.
:)

JanW. 04-01-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofthethorns (Post 14055)
I love this idea/topic Jan! I've been mulling over what to do about the bits and pieces I have for my father's military years so this will give me just the boost I need to get started on it. Should be fun.
:)

Can't wait to see what you come up with (and everyone else). Boo has already posted some layouts!

Hugs,
JanW.

janalyn 04-02-2008 09:43 PM

There is also an 'Honor our Heroes' Gallery that you can add the LO's to besides the Heritage Gallery!!

Sunnigal 04-05-2008 02:04 PM

Heritage of the Month - my military hero

I love this idea!! Genealogy is my passion so I love scrapping about my family history. The military hero is a wonderful choice for me - my husband, dad, grandfather, gg grandfathers were all in the service. I don't think we do enough to recognize the contribution our military makes to our freedom.

Here is a link to my layout.

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...4&limit=recent

ladyofthethorns 04-05-2008 06:15 PM

Sunnigal - Awesome history and LO - I left you some "love" in the gallery.

I just wanted to point out that you have an error in your dates in the second paragraph. It says 1963 instead of 1863.

kjg1130 04-06-2008 01:54 PM

Here is my layout for this challenge. I am new here and to digital work but am liking it. This is about my 6th digital layout and love using the template for the layout as it really helps me.
Thanks Jan for your comment. It certainly made my day.

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...03&ppuser=2698

ladyofthethorns 04-06-2008 07:54 PM

My Father - WWII

Here's my hero LO for this challenge. Thank you for this one Jan, I've so much heritage stuff to do and much of it on my father's time in the military. This was a good way to get me started.

My Father - WWII

Country Liv 04-08-2008 06:17 PM

Here is my layout.
Soldier Boy 1941

Joba2 04-08-2008 10:46 PM

Here's mine
WW2 & Italy

JanW. 04-09-2008 08:46 AM

WOW!! There are some wonderful layouts this month (and still time to get one in the gallery if you are thinking about it ;). I've left comments in the gallery, but wanted to say Thanks for participating and how much I've enjoyed the layouts!

Any ideas you want to share for future months? All suggestions are welcome.

Hugs,
JanW.

ladyofthethorns 04-09-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanW. (Post 14450)
Any ideas you want to share for future months? All suggestions are welcome.

Hugs,
JanW.

I've got a not-too-fully formed idea, maybe you can get something from this.

I've been working with the organizing, identifying, archiving (etc.) of my family photos for a few years now and when I look at them I often wonder about "then and now" sort of stuff. For instance, I've a number of photos of my mother and her family in the doorway of or in in front of the building where they lived for many years in the 1930's and 1940's. After my mother passed away in 2002, I visited the city where she lived and drove to the address of those photos - although there were a lot of changes, you could still tell it was the same doorway; it was the same wooden door with same markings on it! I photographed it then and have been meaning to do a "then-and-now" sort of layout with it.

Maybe we could do something like that, it could be a house that's been in in the family for years or it could be an heirloom maybe that's been passed down through the generations, maybe a photo of the item from a time with our ancestors and then again in a more current time. Or maybe it could be about a thing or event that still exists but has changed over time. Like maybe a photo of an old automobile with an ancestor and then a photo today's cars to show how those things have changed... or, perhaps, a photo of a family having fun together, like maybe listening to the radio or a dance and then a photo of some sort showing how the decendants entertain themselves today - maybe it's still the same way, maybe it's different.

LOL, can you see what I meant by a "not-fully-formed" idea? If you can get something out of this, please do. And thank you so much for having these challenges!

WyvernWench 04-14-2008 06:40 PM

Here's mine:

40 and 8

WyvernWench 04-14-2008 06:45 PM

I really like Lady of the Thorns' idea at least about focusing on some non-people photos as the focus of the layout. I don't have now and then photos of houses or towns but a slew of head stones, old cabins and even land deeds that I need to scrap and add to my family genealogy album.

I want to scrap these paper records because I have the originals very carefully stashed away in my hard copy files to protect them. This would be a way to share those records without damaging the originals.

Nice idea Lady!

ladyofthethorns 04-14-2008 10:58 PM

Thank you WyvernWench.

JanW. 04-16-2008 08:49 PM

I have made note of both the non-photo layout and the "then and now" ideas. We will work them into the future challenges. What about my posting a list of what we have so far and then we can expand the ideas or add new ones to them. The official suggestion post is HERE and I will put the list in that location also. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Hugs,
JanW.

Lynncal 04-16-2008 09:21 PM

These are all fantastic layouts, so hard to choose!

JanW. 04-20-2008 09:40 AM

Congratulations

Congratulations to Rose (ladyofthethorns) for her winning layout!! Thanks to all who participated and I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

Hugs,
JanW.

ladyofthethorns 04-20-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanW. (Post 14833)
Congratulations to Rose (ladyofthethorns) for her winning layout!! Thanks to all who participated and I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

Hugs,
JanW.

Thank you Jan for having this challenge - I love the heritage stuff!
But more importantly, thank you to everyone who voted on my LO!
As they say, I'm tickled pink.