theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   Genealogy and Heritage links and research sites (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Need help with program I have to give (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2039)

Marvelyn 04-10-2008 09:46 AM

Need help with program I have to give

I have been asked by our local genealogy group to give a program on scrap booking for genalogists. How to scrap your family history.

I would appreciate any suggestions any of you might have. I have some ideas but I want to make sure I cover what I should.

Thanks for your suggestions.

WyvernWench 04-14-2008 08:44 AM

Great question, Marvelyn ... and Congrats!

I will assume that you will be discussing the who, what, where, when and why ... plus the begates ... :)

If it were me I would include some discussion about scanning in hand written notes, letters, envelopes or signatures that a genealogist has in their hard copy file box so that they can be used as accents or elements in a page. Even a hand written recipe can become the focus of a good genealogy digiscrap.

Don't forget Great Grandma's lace doilies that she crocheted or Grandpa's ration cards from the war. Old newspapers and year books make great background papers and magazine ads from the time period work very well also.

I have a number of old land deeds that include the date, location and signatures of our ancestors. They not only secure a family to a certain place and time but add that 'realism' effect when their signatures become part of the layout.

Some objects as key chains, watch fobs, medallions, hair ribbons or jewelry that were owned by that family also make great elements for a page. Image holding two pieces of digiscrap paper together with a broach pin of your grandmother's instead of just another paper clip!

Hope your talk goes well and that you share your experience here!

Marvelyn 05-01-2008 06:15 PM

This is great info. Thanks very much. I hadn't thought of those things.

Joba2 05-02-2008 12:21 PM

I will assume that you will be discussing the who, what, where, when and why ... plus the begates ...

May I ask what is begates??

janalyn 05-07-2008 08:53 AM

Hi,
It is just an a very old term used in geneologies, especially in the Bible. Begot, begotten meaning fathered. He begot many sons and daughters..... I believe she is using begates a little playfully but I could be wrong. :p

WyvernWench 05-12-2008 03:12 AM

Yes, Janalyn, it is an old and unused word today.

My sincere apologizes ... my spelling was wrong. It is begets (plural of begat) not begates.

1. verb (used with object), be·got or (Archaic) be·gat; be·got·ten or be·got; be·get·ting. 1. (esp. of a male parent) to procreate or generate (offspring).
2. to cause; produce as an effect: a belief that power begets power.
be·get·ter, noun (www.Dictionary.com)

It's a word that is most often used when one is reciting a lineage from one father as: Joseph beget John who beget Jacob who beget Jacob Jr.

It goes along with other fun lineage wording as "by and out of". "By" refers to the father or sire and "out of" refers to the mother or dam. This would read as: John by Joseph out of Martha. This reference term is great when John had more than one wife or as sometimes happens had more than one wife and more than one son named John.

As a quick side note here it was a common practice until the nineteenth century to name a new born the same name (namesake) as a child of the same family that had died. So if child number three named John died of consumption the next male child born would have been named John.

The "by and out of" is also a good reference tool when a widow married the brother of her late husband. So you can have Fred by John out of Mary and Frank by Jake out of Mary, with Fred and Frank being half-brothers, John and Jake being brothers and Mary married to two brothers.

As a second side note this also was a common practice - a man marrying his brother's widow - up into the late 1800's. This insured two things. Your brother's offspring would be raised to continue his line and as the populations of many small western settlements (US) did not have large numbers that a woman of breeding age was married and therefore creating more children.

Another great word is "ilk". This one refers to your cousins from which you wish to distance yourself or your line. "Ilk" is a negative term to the swarming brood of low class cousins that seemed to always end up in jail. Ilk originally meant "coming from the same" area, region or sire line.

Other great words include: progeny, brood, get, issue, offspring, posterity, seed, scion ...........

While I am playing with fun genealogy wording ... did you know that the term Junior does not necessarily mean that the man is the child the elder man carrying the same name. Junior originally just meant 'younger' not 'son of'. If a settlement has two men of two different generations named John that were somehow related the younger man was called Junior to distinguish him from his elder. So you could have John the Elder and his nephew John Junior the younger.

So, my apologizes for my bad spelling.

Joba2 05-12-2008 10:24 AM

Wow ,thank you for that wonderful explanation!:) I sincerely hope you share with tne SAS group your lecture. I could use some inspiration ( and a kick in the butt)to get the informtion recorded. I am so glad the newsletter showed us examples of kits that can be combined for genealogy work.