theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   Next SAS-y Lady Contest (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Round 2 Rules & Palette (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3205)

JulieO 09-11-2008 05:59 PM

Round 2 Rules & Palette

Welcome to round 2 of the Next SAS-y Lady Design contest. This week the contestants will be creating a kit using the color palette provided. Besides the palette I have added a few new requirements to keep it challenging.

Contestants are encouraged to blog about their entries and ask people to vote for them but giving away prizes in exchange for voting is prohibited. Since everyone moved on in this round 60% will go on to round 3, and 50% of the round 3 contestants will move on to round 4.

Each entry must include,
Two cluster elements
One 12 x 12 Quick Page
There must be two previews for each kit.
Ten to twenty papers, re-colored papers each count as a paper
15 to 20 elements, re-colored elements each count as an element.

Quality Control
Entries will not be checked for quality but all kits must follow the industry standards as stated below.
Papers must be 12 x 12 at 300 dpi and saved as a jpg.
All embellishments must be 300 dpi and have a transparent background, the standard format is PNG.
You must include your TOU in each kit
There must be 2 preview of the entire kit included in this round.
Check for stray pixels (select item, make a new layer above, stroke selection with a bright color, stray pixels will show up)
Color shifts- Stay within the color palette provided, black and white are always allowed.
Check the edges of your paper carefully to make sure that you brought all layers to the edge while designing the paper.
All elements must be on their on their own file.
No drop shadows on elements, but they are allowed on layered elements.
Size all of the elements properly, close to the size they should be.
No copyrighted materials can be used.
You should only use Commercial Use items if you have purchased them, pirates will be thrown overboard.

You must post your entry in the Designer Contest gallery by 6 p.m. on the specified day. All entries must be hosted on your own file sharing account (4-Shared etc…) and must be available for download by the SAS members throughout the entire contest, even if you drop out or do not make it to the next round. All entries remain your property.

The voting will be done strictly by the SAS registered members. Since it is often difficult to pick just one favorite and to help offset the concerns that design contests become popularity contests members will be allowed to vote for more than one entry. They may only vote one time but they may pick more than one entry. Members are encouraged to vote for no more than 3 entries but there is no way to limit it. We also strongly encourage members to open the kits and look them over before making their decisions.

All times are Central Standard Time
The contest runs from September 4th and runs through October 2nd when the new SAS-y Ladies will be announced.
A theme or palette will be posted in the designer contest forum by 1 p.m. each Thursday (starting Next Thursday.)
Entries are due by 6 p.m. the following Monday
Voting starts at 6 p.m. Mondays
Voting closes at noon on Thursdays
Winners of each round will be announced by 1 p.m.
Any questions can be posted in this thread. The most important rules of the contest are to let your creativity soar and to have fun!

JulieO

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ek2Palette.jpg

Mitsybelle 09-11-2008 06:06 PM

I just love these colours :) Thank you for the rules :)

Charlie's Digiscraps 09-11-2008 06:10 PM

ooo..I love them too..thanks..cant wait to get started!!!!!!!:D

wimpychompers 09-11-2008 06:11 PM

Thank you, I'm really excited to see what everyone comes up with. Beautiful pallete!

beckmoore 09-11-2008 06:12 PM

Do the two cluster elements count as part of the total count of elements?
Debbie

Linda Renee 09-11-2008 06:13 PM

I like the color palette. I'll get working.

I have one question. By two previews, is there any specific way you want them done, i.e., papers on one preview, elements on the other, or a mixture?

Mitsybelle 09-11-2008 06:17 PM

And some included Alphas last round, where do we stand with this one???

Sooze 09-11-2008 06:21 PM

Ohhhhh...I love that palette! I'm going to get started on my entry right away!!

Good luck everyone!!

LilGuysMomma 09-11-2008 06:30 PM

Beautiful colors...just not quite ready myself to start designing yet. But I'll sit back and take advantage of all your designs...:D:D:D Good luck everyone!

apupplo 09-11-2008 06:47 PM

I,too, am wondering about the 2 previews and the cluster elements. TY again for giving all of us another chance.

Toiny 09-11-2008 06:55 PM

About the previews?

As far as the previews go... is it one for the whole kit & one for the quick page, or two for the kit and one for the quick page? I'm a little confused.

Becky Hales 09-11-2008 07:11 PM

A Few Clarification Questions:

I read the instructions for week 2 and am really excited to get started. I do have a few things I would like to have clarified if that's okay:

1: On the palette, do you want us to use the eyedropper tool in Photoshop to capture the colors, or will the HEX numbers be provided?

2: In the rules, it mentions that no copyrighted materials can be used. What about materials in the public domain?

3: My third question might sound kind of dumb, but I wanted to make sure I understand correctly about cluster elements. Are they basically elements that have several items grouped together?

Thanks for answering my questions!

Nani 09-11-2008 07:23 PM

Do I understand correctly that only purchased CU items means CU freebies are not allowed?

katlen124 09-11-2008 07:32 PM

gee, I was looking in the wrong thread for the colors - thought it would be in the contest only area ...
great colors - now to think of a theme ...

katlen124 09-11-2008 07:37 PM

now that I have re-read the rules- questions

? we have black and white, what about metals and browns
? you said bought CU items - I have some freebies as well (legally obtained) - I'm hoping that is okay, because I have them sorted together.

Ambowife Designs 09-11-2008 07:49 PM

Oh how cool is that I am going to love this round!! Not that I will get more votes but I feel a lot free-er with this challenge.
I also would like to know if metals is allowed.
Julie with the colours are there allowed to be hues of that colour like you see on a flower, darker lighter etc?? Or are we only allowed solid colour??
My mind is spinning with ideas. woohoo can't wait to see what everyone comes up with this time!!
Hugs
Tracy

Lori11941 09-11-2008 08:47 PM

Let's see if I can cover all the questions.

CU freebies are allowed as long as you follow the TOU. You should always have a copy of the TOU of any CU items you use available as a general rule. One time a designer here was accused by another designer of stealing her icicles. The accuser claimed she hand drew her icicles and that our designer's matched hers perfectly. She was right that they matched perfectly. But when asked where her icicles came from our designer was able to provide proof that hers were created from a commercial use brush. The accuser never did explain why her "hand drawn" icicles matched the commercial use brush, lol.

Your two previews can be whatever two previews you want them to be. Just be aware that only one preview will be in the newsletter. I'll be picking the one I consider to be the best of the two, so you'll want to make sure that one gives a good picture of what's in the kit, while the second one gives your preview a bit more depth and detail.

Brown is not part of the palette, so no. I'll check on metals, but usually if a metal is allowed it's included in the palette.

Use the eye dropper tool to get the colors. If you have any problems give us a yell, but this is how Julie gives the color palettes to the design team for the mega kits, so you should be able to extract the colors if you want to be a SAS-y Lady.

Yes, the two cluster elements count in the element total.

I'd say an alpha counts as 1 element. If it's upper and lower case, then it's 2.

Ambowife Designs 09-11-2008 09:25 PM

Lorri what's the rule in respect to fonts!! I know everybody has heaps of fonts but most are probably not commercial use, so that would be a no wouldn't it, maybe we should only be using the ones that came with our program!! Obviously I just went to use a font and though oh oh!! Okay off to continue making my brushes LOL!!
Thanks in advance Tracy

wimpychompers 09-11-2008 10:20 PM

So it's a no on any platinum/silver elements then I assume? Just making sure that was clear... I know you said you would ask.

marta_van_eck 09-12-2008 12:21 AM

Just one question: what is cluster element???