theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   Next SAS-y Lady Contest (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Round 3 Theme + Palette (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3275)

JulieO 09-18-2008 01:22 PM

Round 3 Theme + Palette

In the last round there was some question as to whether or not the clusters and QPs should be included in the 15 to 20 elements. My original instructions did not specify whether or not they did and the questions were asked and answered later in the thread. I really feel that it creates a problem when questions are asked and answered later in a thread because everyone does not have time to keep coming back and checking things so they go on what they read originally, plus with such an international forum English in not always the first language of many members. We have three kits in this round that have too many elements. Floral Fantasy by Mitsybelle will move on because there were 22 elements so I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she thought the clusters and QP were not included. Unfortunately Just Jazzin' by Marta Van Eck had 26 elements and Elegance by MoMo had 24, even considering the clusters and QPs they are still over.

I want everyone to know that I have put a lot of thought into this and I am being as fair as possible. Since having a minimum/maximum on the elements & papers has caused some problems in the first two rounds I am lifting the quantity requirements. I would prefer to keep the rules as simple as possible but please read the requirements very carefully because I do not want to loose a talented designer because of a simple misunderstanding.

Those of you who have been with SAS from the beginning probably know that SAS started with a special focus on Heritage and Genealogy. Jan W runs the SAS Genealogy and Heritage Center and has great challenges monthly. Jan W is very knowledgeable about genealogy and she has a special touch with Heritage layouts. With that in mind I am going to take us back to our roots with this challenge. The kits designed for this round must contain some elements that would be suitable to be used in Vintage/Heritage layouts and use the provided color palette. Use your own discretion in deciding what to make and the members will be the judges as to how well they fit the theme.

Contestants are encouraged to blog about their entries and ask people to vote for them but giving away prizes in exchange for voting is prohibited. You may give out add-ons on your blog.

Each entry must include,
Two cluster elements
There must be two previews for each kit showing whatever you choose to show.
You may use metals if you want.
You may use tints and shades that are lighter or darker as long as they are the same hue (color.)
SPECIAL NOTE- Do not use black and white in the round, see the palette below.

Quality Control
Entries will not be checked for quality but all kits must follow the industry standards as stated below.
Papers must be 12 x 12 at 300 dpi and saved as a jpg.
All embellishments must be 300 dpi and have a transparent background, the standard format is PNG.
You must include your TOU in each kit
There must be 2 previews included in the zips
Check for stray pixels (select item, make a new layer above, stroke selection with a bright color, stray pixels will show up)
Color shifts- Stay within the color palette provided,
Check the edges of your paper carefully to make sure that you brought all layers to the edge while designing the paper.
All elements must be on their on their own file.
No drop shadows on elements, but they are allowed on layered elements.
Size all of the elements properly, close to the size they should be.
No copyrighted materials can be used.
You should only use Commercial Use items if you have purchased them or gotten them as freebies in a legitimate manner, pirates will be thrown overboard.

You must post your entry in the Designer Contest gallery by 6 p.m. on the specified day. All entries must be hosted on your own file sharing account (4-Shared etc…) and must be available for download by the SAS members throughout the entire contest, even if you drop out or do not make it to the next round. All entries remain your property.

The voting will be done strictly by the SAS registered members. Since it is often difficult to pick just one favorite and to help offset the concerns that design contests become popularity contests members will be allowed to vote for more than one entry. They may only vote one time but they may pick more than one entry. Members will be encouraged to vote for no more than 3 entries but there is no way to limit it. We also strongly encourage members to open the kits and look them over before making their decisions.

All times are Central Standard Time
The contest runs from September 4th and runs through October 2nd when the new SAS-y Ladies will be announced.
A theme or palette will be posted in the designer contest forum by 1 p.m. each Thursday Entries are due by 6 p.m. the following Monday
Voting starts at 6 p.m. Mondays
Voting closes at noon on Thursdays
Winners of each round will be announced by 1 p.m.
Any questions can be posted in this thread. The most important rules of the contest are to let your creativity soar and to have fun!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ek3palette.jpg

JulieO

Nani 09-18-2008 01:54 PM

I hate to be poking in and causing trouble, but I completely don't understand what "off white your choice of what color" means in the palatte. Do we get to choose one additional color or is it our choice of what hue is more dominant in the off-white, as in warmer or cooler off white?

Lori11941 09-18-2008 03:36 PM

I think she means you can pick your off-white, you don't have to exactly use the one she showed there. But it still has to be off-white.

Charlie's Digiscraps 09-18-2008 04:47 PM

Julie says no black and white in the rule desription for this round( off white ok) but it has black on the pallette??

Lori11941 09-18-2008 05:42 PM

Ugh! Poor Julie tries so hard to get it all right the first time.

I'd say no black either. She did that with the October Mega Kit palette too, no black or white, just off white and brown. It'll look more heritage-y that way.

Charlie's Digiscraps 09-18-2008 05:54 PM

Oh ladies..Julie and Lori I'd just want to say I think you are doing an extroadinary job running this comp and all your hard work is very much appreciated....*hugs*

Sooze 09-18-2008 06:26 PM

Ohhhhh. a heritage kit! I had a feeling this might come up...wish I'd prepared in advance! :)

Good luck to everyone in this round....I'm sure we'll see some gorgeous kits in the gallery on Monday!

katlen124 09-18-2008 06:48 PM

I am so excited with this topic.
I think I will steer clear of the black, mainly because the darker brown will look better as lines and shadows.

A big thanks to the organizers!

Sooze 09-18-2008 08:40 PM

Okay...I've been sitting here wondering if any of you are just "not feeling" this palette??? I wish there had ben a couple more colors in contrast to all that brown and tan. Still I guess the challenge is to work with what you're given!!

Nani 09-18-2008 08:52 PM

Yeah, I have 61 pages done in my heritage book project and 3 of them are brown. The other 59 are lots of color. This is my opportunity to work outside the box! Remember, the rewards for all but three of us are the lessons! :)

katlen124 09-18-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooze (Post 24741)
Okay...I've been sitting here wondering if any of you are just "not feeling" this palette??? I wish there had been a couple more colors in contrast to all that brown and tan. Still I guess the challenge is to work with what you're given!!

going to have ta go textures -
I didn't "feel" the last group, even though I liked the colors.
I can groove with this topic, I guess no matter what the colors are

wimpychompers 09-18-2008 10:24 PM

I know what you mean, I really struggled with the last kit wishing we had browns. Now I'm up to my eyeballs in browns. (roflol). Oops! I actually am loving this one, surprised me that I had so many things for it never having done a heritage kit before. Good luck everyone!

Ambowife Designs 09-18-2008 10:59 PM

I know, I have never really done a heritage kit before either. One of those browns has a reddish hue to it and so I think I'll be using that one a fair bit LOL. So far so good. Just worried about my papers LOL!!
Who knew I had so many antiquey lookin' things around the house LOL
Happy Designing all!!
Tracy

Monika 09-19-2008 12:08 AM

Wow! Time for something new, heritage sounds good. I'm missing the contrast in the palette as well, but will just have to go with the flow and see what happens, lol!:p

Ambowife Designs 09-19-2008 06:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Lori
...are we allowed to use blend modes with these colours? for overlaying etc? It does change the color a bit and I am worried the one lower left brown is more dusky pink when overlay or color blend mode is used like on flowers and ribbons etc.
Any idea!!??

Thanks
Tracy

Kristi W 09-19-2008 02:27 PM

Good luck ladies, I am sure that everyones kits are going to be beautiful.:)

Joba2 09-19-2008 06:02 PM

I am so happy Julie is taking us back to our roots:).Heritage & geneology

JanW. 09-19-2008 11:07 PM

Me too, Joba2! I can't wait to see the wonderful kits that fill the gallery this week :)

CathyC 09-20-2008 05:35 PM

Beautiful color palette, and theme, cant wait to see all the beautiful entries
Hugs
Cathy

Sooze 09-20-2008 11:08 PM

Well, it just shows that sometimes you just need to step back for a while for the ideas to start flowing. I spent a couple of hours at Walmart today (just food shopping) and when I came back and started on the kit again...phewww, there was no stopping me!! I was having problems coming up with elements...but I now have enough for some freebie add-ons!