theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   Member Template Exchange (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Birthday Bash Template Exchange!!! (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5699)

kimberkatt 08-30-2009 01:51 PM

Birthday Bash Template Exchange!!!

Okay ladies.... are you ready?!!! I see that we have many people waiting for the doors to be open, so here goes!!! :D

Welcome to the Annual SAS Birthday Bash Template Exchange!

This exchange is relatively straight forward... you make a layered Template to share with other participants!!! Any layered template will do: 12X12, 8X8, 8.5X11, 5X7, 4X6, or any other layered template you can think of! Anyone & everyone is welcome to join in the fun! I even have a super easy way to make a template if this is your first time! :D

Easy Way to Make a Layered Template from a Layout:
  1. Open your layered layout
  2. Delete all titles, dates, pictures, journaling and extra elements you do not want to include in your template.
  3. Select your first layer (background)
  4. Go to Brightness/Contrast
  5. Turn the CONTRAST all the way DOWN
  6. Repeat for each layer you want to include in your template
  7. If grey colors are similar, you can turn the BRIGHTNESS up or down depending on if you want to darken or lighten the tone.
  8. You should now have a layered template! Easy, right?
**EDIT**EDIT**EDIT**EDIT**
I wanted to make sure that this is clear.... DO NOT use elements that are Unique to the designer you used to create your layout!!!! Things such as Flourishes, doodles or any hand-drawn/painted elements are NOT okay to use with the instructions above! Any element that has a definite "unique" shape to it, can NOT be used in a template design!! (Unless YOU are the one who made them, of course! ;) ) Things like round buttons, basic butterfly shapes, straight ribbons, ricrac, basic bows & string, straight stitches, scallop edges, bracket shapes, etc are considered "basic" shapes and ARE allowed to be used following the instructions above!
HOWEVER--- MAKE SURE YOUR LAYERS ARE CONVERTING TO A FLAT GREY SHAPE, WITH NO TEXTURE OR DETAIL!!!
If they are not, follow these steps:
  1. Make a New Layer on top of the layer you wish to convert
  2. Select your layer (CTRL+layer)(so you have the "marching ants" around your image.)
  3. Make sure you are on your New blank layer and select the Fill tool
  4. Fill the selection with a SOLID color (preferably a shade of grey/black/white for templates)
  5. Delete the original layer, leaving just the solid layer
Thanks ladies! Just wanted to make sure that no one inadvertently went against copyright! ;) If you are unsure about the elements, don't use them in the template design. You can either omit them altogether or use your own shapes that came with your program to fill in! I tend to NOT use elements in my templates, because I feel the Scrapper should have the freedom to embellish as they wish! Templates really are just a guideline, and providing Photo placement, borders & edging, and paper layering is what is needed to make a layout! Embellishments are just frill! LOL! :p

Once your template is done, save as PSD or TIFF, zip it up with a TOU & a small JPG preview, upload to whichever file hosting site you prefer and PM me the link. I will be sending out links as they come to me, so you don't have to wait until the end of the month to get them all and play! :D

You can post your previews in the Template Exchange Gallery for ooh's and ahh's and to tempt more people into joining the exchange!! :p You are allowed to make however many templates you wish! Now go and have some fun!!! :D

**BONUS**BONUS**BONUS**BONUS**BONUS**BONUS**
Each person who submits a template will get a BONUS 4 pack of Templates just for playing!!!

http://i35.tinypic.com/156pv1c.jpg

littlespooky 08-30-2009 04:32 PM

Can i join in too if i am a designer? cause you know I am crazy for templates!!!

kimberkatt 08-30-2009 05:13 PM

of course! It's open to all! :D

LauraMarie 08-30-2009 05:53 PM

Is this just to create a template?

Ambowife Designs 08-30-2009 06:23 PM

Yes LauraMarie check it out on September 1 to find out the details.
I wanna do this one too :) Sign me up Kim

kimberkatt 08-30-2009 06:34 PM

Hey.... no questions until class begins! {wags her finger} :p lol

Yes, we're making templates! I'll even have some super easy instructions, for those that have never made templates before! :D

Joba2 08-30-2009 09:20 PM

I did this challenge last Sept for the birthday bash then & it was really really fun.And we got to get all the templates submitted too!!!! That was a real bonus!

LauraMarie 08-30-2009 11:37 PM

Ok, I will play along! I love making templates!

michellemarie 08-31-2009 12:37 AM

Can I play, too?:)

Marcie 08-31-2009 12:05 PM

Oh I just love templates!!!! I'm signing up for sure!

kimberkatt 08-31-2009 01:24 PM

EVERYONE is welcome to play!! I'll post all the details tomorrow!! :p

Hiya Joba!! Glad to have you back this year!!! :D

kimberkatt 08-31-2009 01:25 PM

OH.... just to let you know... we ended up with about 50+ templates last year!!!! :eek: :eek:

michellemarie 08-31-2009 01:30 PM

Okay, I know what I'm doing tonight then... cleaning up my hard drive and EHD. ;)

Marcie 08-31-2009 02:32 PM

OH 50! I'm going to be in heaven.

ljd2007 08-31-2009 03:50 PM

Great stuff!! I just love Templates as you know Kimberly :-)

littlespooky 08-31-2009 06:34 PM

since you are the teacher Ms. kimberly, does that mean i will be in the corner with the dunce hat on?

Ambowife Designs 08-31-2009 08:10 PM

Did I sign up for this, okay if I didn't Sign me up NOW!! 3 hours to go woo hoo

stater 08-31-2009 08:29 PM

Templates I can do. Sign me up, please.

kimberkatt 08-31-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlespooky (Post 47724)
since you are the teacher Ms. kimberly, does that mean i will be in the corner with the dunce hat on?

The BLINKING dunce cap!! :p

LOL!!! {mwah}

Joba2 08-31-2009 10:25 PM

Thanks Kimberkatt for the welcome back to this second template BD challenge. I think I know how to make cleaner better templates now too.
Yes , I agree,it would be a good idea to clean out Hd etc. I remember after last years party it took me forever to back up, sort out,etc all the loot I got!!!
I ended sorting out my templates into one photo,two photo etc folders. I even got two gorgeous bonus kits from two designers. Oh I have fond memories of last years party.This years will be fantastic too.!!!!