theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   theStudio Tutorials (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=243)
-   -   ISO...PS Styles Tutorial (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8092)

Twin Mom Scraps 09-29-2010 11:33 AM

ISO...PS Styles Tutorial

i don't know if i should post this here or not...but i am looking for an easy tutorial on how to create styles in photoshop cs3.
can someone point me in the right direction???
thanks in advance,
rebecca

kimberkatt 09-29-2010 12:33 PM

Re: ISO...PS Styles Tutorial

Oh, I know how to do that... let me go fiddle and get the instructions to you! ;) You don't want the ones off the top of my head... they're full of "thingy" and "whatchamacallit" if I do it that way! :l

Twin Mom Scraps 09-29-2010 12:37 PM

haha!
i figured out how to save a style, and i see it in the styles palette, but when i got to apply it to something, it doesn't work??? i will await your reply, maybe i did something wrong:) thanks!

Twin Mom Scraps 09-30-2010 11:32 AM

hey kim...just following up to see if you could help me with why my style isn't working? thanks:)

Ambowife Designs 10-01-2010 04:49 AM

Okay well this is how I do it.

1. Click on Styles at the top left of the styles palette so you can see all the styles that are loaded currently. Empty all the styles out of your styles pallette window, you can do this by holding alt till you see little scissors when you hover over each one, click on each one till you get them all removed from your styles palette

2. create your style, then click on Styles at the top of the left hand list, now click "new style" and give it a name. you should see it appear as a thumbnail in the main styles palette window (be sure to use your designer name and the name of the style when naming each style)

3. If you are doing a set of styles, do all of them, repeating the "new style" naming process till you have them all as thumbnails in the styles palette main window.
Once you are happy with your set click on the little fly out triangle to the right of the main styles window and choose Save Styles.

4. Save the styles set where you want them and be sure to give it a clear name
eg TwinMomScraps_glitterstyles3cu.asl

Hope this helps Rebecca!! :)

kimberkatt 10-01-2010 08:12 AM

Oh, well hey... I was just coming over to post, but Tracy's is so much better! :DD I was poking around yesterday, trying to figure out why your styles were not working and I couldn't come up with anything... I'm hoping it was just a fluke and you got it working now! ;)

Twin Mom Scraps 10-01-2010 09:06 PM

i am out of town, but i am keeping your emails about the styles and i am planning on working on this next week when i get back home. i don't know why my styles is not working, so i will start fresh with tracy's tut! thanks girls:)

Twin Mom Scraps 10-02-2010 08:43 AM

ok...i'm back...while i don't have time to play i just wanted to ask a quick question.
when you say "create a style"...can you clarify?? LOL
here is what i want to do...i have a felt leaf/object that i want to create the style from...like the texture of it. so do i just open that element up and make it the active layer and then proceed with your tutorial?
thanks!

kimberkatt 10-02-2010 08:55 AM

hmmm, I've never done that before... Creating the style is playing with the layer styles to create a look you want... I'm assuming, if you "define a pattern" from the leaf, then use it as Texture layer style, does that work? Then you can play with the scale, blend modes & settings to get it to look the way you want... ??

now I'm going to have to go play with this idea... :l

Twin Mom Scraps 10-02-2010 08:59 AM

haha! i have no idea...LOL. i think i have so more work to do before i graduate to making styles....i am a PSP girl and only use PS rarely for QC'ing, actions, etc.
i will be back in the next day or 2 when i have some time to play. getting ready to get on the road:) talk soon!

kimberkatt 10-02-2010 09:54 AM

Have a fun trip! :DD

I'll let you know what I find out when I go in to play later today... right now my hair is set in curlers and I'm off to the Grand 'ol Grocery Store in just a bit! Oh, the life of luxury never ends!! :rolleyes:

Ambowife Designs 10-03-2010 05:54 AM

OH you get pretty dolled up for the grocery store Kim!! hee hee

Okay if you want to use your own texture you will have to make a pattern from it first, usually you would want a seamless pattern.

to make your image a pattern just go to edit>define pattern and a window will pop up to give it a name, then it will appear at the bottom of your patterns list in the patterns fly out and also when you are in the styles palette that pattern will be in the selections for pattern and also texture (under bevel and emboss)

so you make your style, ie get it how you want it by playing with the bevel and emboss, inner glow,inner shadows, etc in the styles palette before saving it as a new style.

make sense ??

let me know if you need screen shots, I can always do it that way :)

hugs

kimberkatt 10-03-2010 08:49 AM

LOL! I have those big, chunky velcro curlers to give my hair some lift... otherwise, it's so fine & limp and just hangs there ... Seriously, with my Irish pastey-pale skin and my limp, drab (now)dark brown hair (used to be red, before babes!), I could totally pass for Morticia!!! ;) :l

Yeah... that's what I was trying to say in my earlier post, the "define as pattern" function... see, I told you my instructions are terrible if I don't go step by step and look up the right terminology! :D

Toiny 10-03-2010 04:03 PM

Hey Tracy! If you do it with screen shots... you can be guest author in the Wed. CU ONly nl w/your how-to styles tutorial?

Wanna?

Smooch,

T

Ambowife Designs 10-03-2010 07:42 PM

Okay I'll give it a whirl :) LOL

Twin Mom Scraps 10-05-2010 08:59 PM

i'm a dork and still struggling...as i don't use PS everyday:(
i will wait for your tut tracy!! THANKS:) flying back home tomorrow, so i will be able to concentrate a little better too:) thanks again for your help with this!

Ambowife Designs 10-06-2010 03:20 AM

hee hee well keep an eye out for the cu newsletter then ;)
but if you are still having problems with it let me know.

goddessjoy 11-27-2010 08:04 PM

I'm not quite sure where to post this question, so I'm trying here. :)

I'm having trouble installing styles in PSE 5. All of the instructions I've found say to put them in this folder:

(C) > Program Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 5.0 > Photo Creations > Special Effects > layer styles

the problem is, my file path looks like this:

(C) > Program Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements 5.0 >

There's no "photo creations" folder anywhere in my Photoshop folders. SO, I tried just putting the style file in the presets > styles folder. It's there when I look at the folder, but when I'm using Photoshop it doesn't show up in the style menu, so I can't use it.

Any suggestions?
Should I post this question elsewhere?

Thanks!

kimberkatt 11-27-2010 08:37 PM

Hi Joy!

are you sure your not under Program FILES instead of Program DATA ? There should be two program folders in your C: drive if you are using Vista or Win7... I know this from trial & error, I use PSE5 also :)

goddessjoy 11-28-2010 01:14 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

You rock Kimberly!

This is where I realize that I need to re read EVERYTHING at least 10 times.

Thanks so much!!!!