theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   theStudio Tutorials (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=243)
-   -   Make a Screen Shot (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8551)

Ambowife Designs 12-27-2010 08:16 PM

Make a Screen Shot

Have you ever had something in progress in your program that you wanted to show someone but didn't know how to make a screen shot of it.

Well here's how to make a screen shot in any windows based platform

To take a shot of the whole screen

1. have the item you want to capture on the screen.
2. press the PrtScn/SysRq (Print Screen) key on your keyboard
3. Now the whole screen image has been copied to your clipboard
4. Open a new document in word or your scrapping program
5. Paste the image into the document, and trim any you don't want to show away (like the task bars at the top and bottom for example)

To take a shot of just the active window

This is handy for if you just want a screen shot of something smaller like an error message or pop up

1. have the item you want to capture open on the screen
2. Press Alt and the PrtScrn/SysRq keys together, the computer will take a snapshot of the currently active window ONLY
3. Open a new document and paste it in

now you have an image of what you wanted and you can email it or post it

hope this helps some of you who might have been wondering how to do this :)

Tracy

Toiny 12-28-2010 03:25 AM

Re: Make a Screen Shot

Hihihi I learned something! I didn't know the active-window-only one. Thanks Tracy!

Smooches,

T

Aveziur 12-28-2010 04:34 AM

Thanks Tracy. If you are interested, I use a free software called PrintScreen, that allow you to choose what do you want, it is great to the 100% closer look of the previews just selecting directly from the monitor :D

*Dee* 12-28-2010 06:13 AM

Tracy thanks!! I didn't know how to do the active window only!! That could really come in handy!

DarlineHM 12-28-2010 08:28 AM

Thanks I didn't know that secon one ..great

Ambowife Designs 12-29-2010 02:29 PM

I have windows 7 so I don't use this method so much anymore, I use the snipping tool which I love, cause you can draw on it with a highlighter before sending it off to someone, handy for pointing something out. I think Maybe Vista has something like this too.

*Dee* 12-29-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs (Post 88917)
I have windows 7 so I don't use this method so much anymore, I use the snipping tool which I love, cause you can draw on it with a highlighter before sending it off to someone, handy for pointing something out. I think Maybe Vista has something like this too.

Really....Vista....how would I find out???

bcalberti 12-30-2010 09:31 AM

Tracy - thank you for doing this for me!!! you're the greatest. I can't wait to go try it out.

Berny 12-31-2010 07:40 PM

Thanks, I needed to do the 2nd one and wasn't sure how. Thanks so much.

Ambowife Designs 01-01-2011 04:48 AM

You're welcome ladies ;)

Barbwire 01-02-2011 01:40 PM

I never knew you could paste it into something other than a Word document, so never could crop the results. AND I didn't know how to capture just the active window. Thank you sooo much. And who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks??? This old dog just learned a new trick. LOL

Ambowife Designs 01-04-2011 03:03 AM

hee hee you're welcome hun :)

Renee 01-04-2011 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs (Post 88917)

What's the snipping tool?

Ambowife Designs 01-04-2011 04:52 PM

IN Windows 7 Jeanette, here's a shot, you should enter snipping tool in the search box at the bottom and it will come up in the list

http://www.ambowife.com/images/snippingtoolshot.jpg

hope that helps

Twin Mom Scraps 01-23-2011 06:17 PM

ditto on the snipping tool...vista and windows 7 have it i believe. it is soooo nice. i use it all the time! this is a great tut though tracy...for years i never knew how to take a screen shot!!!

kimberkatt 01-26-2011 08:01 AM

Snipping tool, eh?! I have Win7 and didn't even know it was there! Thanks so much Tracy!! :DD

And, OMG - I just went & used it and it is FANTASTIC!!! Watch out, I may be posting screen shots all over the place now!! LOL!