theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   Capture the Moment (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=285)
-   -   One thing I learned from this challenge (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9417)

Lori11941 06-30-2011 09:45 AM

One thing I learned from this challenge

I have issues I'm working through. I go through day to day life thinking I'm fine, but my grandfather's death, in spite of his age and the fact that "it had to happen sometime" has hit me harder than I let on. After his death, my sister was out on disability for two months due to severe depression. I went on with my day to day life and felt kind of superior because I was the "strong" one. Actually, I learned other things too...

scrapping is therapy
not all layouts need to be happy
it's okay to scrap a layout that's mostly journaling (this has always been difficult for me) because
my journaling isn't as weird and stilted as it often seems to me and
my journaling can actually enhance the layout instead of taking something away from the photos

Even though I've been doing this for five years, I think this challenge has helped push me to new levels in my scrappiing that I'll take with me long after this is over.

I know I said this in the Week 5 challenge thread, but thank you Toiny. And thank you not only to the designers who contributed kits (Julie, Sherah, Christine, and Boo), but to all the designers who took time to vote and to comment on the layouts. And thank you to my wonderful fellow contestants who have been supportive in comments and feedback, even when they didn't make it to the next round, especially Red Plaid who took the time to PM me when she found a typo in my journaling so that I could fix it.

Toiny 06-30-2011 10:23 AM

Re: One thing I learned from this challenge

(((Lori))) I'm with you. I think scrapping, and especially the journaling part, is a fantastic way to work through unresolved feelings. An added bonus is chronicling those memories for generations to come. My mother, and her mother, felt it was only proper to share the good times. It resulted in me feeling very alone when things weren't going good for me. Thank God for my friends, especially my digi friends, and creative outlets!

I feel so blessed to be a stepping stone on your journey to healing. A big, huge, smooch for you & all the kids.

T

donakat 06-30-2011 11:36 PM

Lori, you are so right about the journaling, and I echo your thanks to Toiny and to the designers for the fantastic kits they gave us to work with. The papers and elements in each were so lovely and suited to the challenges that it was a real pleasure to scrap with them. I'm also grateful for the lessons learned here with respect to the journaling prompts. It's easy enough to follow the other prompts about how many papers to use, etc., but often hard to really follow the prompts for journaling that talk about hard times and less-than-perfect memories. But what wonderful journaling came out of all the contestants in response to these prompts! No one held back or stayed guarded (that's often my defense), but did a superb job of capturing feelings and memories, and put them on their pages in unique and wonderful ways. I'm proud to be in such a group of gifted memory-keepers (that's such a great screen name, I had to appropriate it for this note). Thank you for including me, and thank you fellow scrappers for giving me a peek into your lives and the support and encouragement you all have given. I'm going to be sorry the contest is ending!

Ayla1964 07-01-2011 01:45 AM

I agree wholeheartedly...and add my thanks to Toiny and all the designers who added to this wonderful journey. I never journaled much before I started the digi adventure, and now find that is one of the things I am most known for in my little scrapping circles. I have used scrapping to celebrate, to mourn, and to cope. I also have learned to appreciate my own little quirks that are the things that make me...ME! And I too commend redplaid for all her wonderful comments week to week...I am amazed in myself at how much the positive comments help!

mrscarol_1 07-01-2011 10:04 AM

I also agree and add my big thank you to Toiny and all the designers who have helped me learn so much with the wonderful kits and their lessons they have been teaching me. I still have much to learn and truly enjoy this scrapbooking circle of friends. Everyone has done an awsome job. Thank you all for your help and encouragement.

MemoryKeeper 07-01-2011 03:39 PM

I have been in many contests, but none that have developed and honed my skills as this one has. I've learned so much. I've laughed and cried, and shared my heart deeply. I feel blessed to have made it this far, and honestly somewhat surprised. As I've scanned through my gallery I must say how much I've seen my writings improve and my digital skills have most definitely improved. Mostly, I've learned a little bit about other scrappers who love and care, give and share, and open their hearts.

Many thanks to you theStudio team for all you do to share this journey with us! We really are drawn in by your kindness, joy in life, awesome designers, amazing kits, and of course all the smooches (LOL Toiny)....

sparkysgirl 07-01-2011 09:39 PM

I read through these posts and just had to add my agreement about the lessons learned. This has truly been a very fun challenge. The criteria for each week were nicely stated, the kits were terrific to work with, the timing was just right between challenges ... very well organized and a joy to participate in. Thank you so much Toiny and designers ... I know it takes a lot of time and effort to run challenges like this smoothly.

And finally, my fellow participants ... it has been a joy to read through each of your layouts and get to know you and your families as I read through your journaling. I feel similar to when I'm getting to the last chapter of a really good book ... a little sad that it's over! :'( I'm gonna miss you guys! Any chance we'lll do this again soon?

redplaid3 07-02-2011 07:38 AM

This has been a great series. I know I'll miss it. I have realized that journalling is OK in scrapping. I always thought it was about the PICTURES. We need both.

I really like all the ladies and designers here and look forward to more adventures together. Maybe we could have a monthly challenge that stretches us in our journalling. Just a thought...

kimberkatt 07-02-2011 10:02 AM

what a great idea! A journaling challenge would be great! :))

I'm sad that I didn't get a chance to participate in this contest as much as I wanted to! June was a very busy month for me, having a large family filled with graduations & birthdays, so I haven't gotten as much computer time as I wanted, but I do want to say that you all have been amazing throughout this contest!! I absolutely love the community we have here at theStudio, you guys are the best, seriously!!! :love:

Toiny 07-02-2011 12:01 PM

Quick bit from me. Yes! We will have more, bigger, contests for scrappers. We are also renewing our challenges this month, to be debuted in August, and the journaling challenge request is being passed to our Designers.

Big smooches,

T