theStudio

theStudio (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/index.php)
-   Next Designer Contest 2011 (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   NDC 2011: Round 3 "The Evening News" (http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9855)

Toiny 09-15-2011 05:24 AM

NDC 2011: Round 3 "The Evening News"

Yay! You are on Round 3. Except… Round 3 will be the toughest round. This round is our No CU round. Everything must be created by you, whether by camera, scanner, hand, computer or a combination of all. You may use any tools that came with your computer or with your photo-editing software. You may not use plug-ins (eye candy, filter forge, art rage, etc.)

We are originally a heritage, genealogy scrapbooking site, and we still have some lovely vintage products perfect for those preserving those memories. It is no longer all we are, but this round our theme gives a nod to both our heritage and contest theme. This week you will create a mini kit around “The Evening News” and your palette core is provided.

It is up to you to add a splash of color to the palette. In keeping in the spirit of this theme, I strongly encourage vintage hues.

Round 2 Rules

Theme: Evening News
Palette: Vintage Hues
  • You must follow the theme
  • You must use at least 3 of the core palette colors
  • You may add as many colors as you like
  • Your kit may be named anything
  • Create exactly 4 papers, either jpg or png
  • Create exactly 10 elements
  • Include a terms of use (TOU) within your zip file(s).
  • The preview must be 600X600px, 72dpi, and a jpg file. Please post only one preview.
  • The preview must include all papers, elements, kit name/title and your logo.
  • Previews must be posted in the Annual Next Designer Contest Gallery: NDC 2011: Round 3
    Evening News due September 19, 2011 by 23:59 EST.
  • Include your download links with your preview in the gallery.
  • Links must be available until September 20, 2011. It is appreciated if they are available until October 1, 2011.
You may not use any commercial use/designer resource products in the creation of your mini-kit. You may use more than one photo-editing/vector program to create your kit. You may not use plug-ins. Please do not break any copyright laws in this competition--you will be disqualified if you do.

All previews must be posted in the Annual Next Designer Contest Gallery: NDC 2011: Round 3
Evening News. Please post your download links there as well. You may use any outside host including 4shared/rapidshare/boxnet etc. You must use ZIP files only. Do not use RAR. You may blog all you like about the contest.

Voting will be done by theStudio Design & Admin teams only. Round 3 kit will be due September 19, 2011 by 23:59 EST. Round 3 results will be posted September 22, 2011 by 6:00 am EST.

I have worked hard to make these rules as clear and easy to understand as possible. However, if you have any questions please post here or PM me. Round 3 does come with a reward for every winner. There is a phenomenal CU gift basket in here for all the make it to Round 4, the finals.

Good luck!

Toiny

hex codes
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...lorpalette.jpg

jusmedigital 09-15-2011 05:40 AM

Re: NDC 2011: Round 3 "The Evening News"

ohhhh, tough one... vintage is not normally my style... *thinking cap on*

Ambowife Designs 09-15-2011 05:48 AM

great challenge, I can't wait to see all the vintage gorgeousness spilling out in the gallery, go to it girls and good luck!!

Paper Capers Designs 09-15-2011 05:55 AM

What about styles and brushes? Would those be considered CU?

Ambowife Designs 09-15-2011 06:03 AM

Nothing that is cu is allowed, unless you created it yourself for cu.
So brushes, styles, overlays, anything not created by you is NOT allowed.
hope that makes it a little clearer hun and thanks for asking ;) good luck!

Paper Capers Designs 09-15-2011 06:08 AM

Much clearer - and harder!! So truly ONLY what came with the program! Well...I think there were some shapes & brushes, etc in there....guess I will be finding out! LOL :) I guess that's why it's a contest!! Okie dokie - off to think!

Paper Capers Designs 09-15-2011 06:12 AM

Ladies -

Not sure who to address this one to - I just downloaded the swatch - there's only 5 colors and black showing when the aco file is in PSE.

Ambowife Designs 09-15-2011 06:42 AM

Of course you can make your own brushes, styles, patterns etc Dust of the scanner and your camera, etc ;)

Aveziur 09-15-2011 06:51 AM

Good luck everyone, waiting for your Minis :))

Ambowife Designs 09-15-2011 06:58 AM

here are the hex codes
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...lorpalette.jpg

DigiliciousDesigns 09-15-2011 06:59 AM

Ooooo, fabulous theme & challenge! Good luck everyone - can't wait to see what you create!!

Paper Capers Designs 09-15-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs (Post 106360)
Of course you can make your own brushes, styles, patterns etc Dust of the scanner and your camera, etc ;)

scanner and camera are ready!!

ladyofthethorns 09-15-2011 07:20 AM

I was afraid to come see what the next challenge was based on a couple of comments made in the Round 2 winners thread about it being tough but oh, Oh, OH, I totally LOVE this challenge. Love anything vintage. And, since I prefer to design with minimal use of CU this will be fun! :DD

Good luck everyone!

Sugarmoon 09-15-2011 07:29 AM

Wow very tough challenge! I've seen such great work from everyone, I can't wait to see what this round will bring!

prettyingreen 09-15-2011 07:43 AM

oh boy! lol this will be fun, but will take longer LOL

prettyingreen 09-15-2011 07:46 AM

ok so first question, can we use stock photos and extract them? or is that considered a CU item?

A-Manda Creation 09-15-2011 07:48 AM

Quick question, can we use styles that we have created but the style was created using a CU item?

For instance, I have glitter styles I have made, but I used a glitter overlay to create the style?

I am thinking no, but thought I would make sure :)

Looking forward to the challenge!

kimberkatt 09-15-2011 08:30 AM

Stock Photos = CU Item, sorry Rachel - but you can take your own photos and extract from them :))

Regarding the style, I would have to say that it would be considered a CU item, since you used someone elses overlay to help you create it, sorry!

This round is meant to see what you can do without any "help" from anyone else, so if you didn't create it from scratch, you can't use it! PS & PSE come equipped with some great shapes/styles/brushes/patterns/textures, don't be afraid to use them and play, play, play! Filters are my most favorite thing to play with, layer styles being my second... you'll be amazed what you can create with just the tools in your program! :))

I'm on a hunt for some good tutorials out there, I'll be back with some links for you all! ;)

littlespooky 09-15-2011 08:57 AM

i am gonna love this one..i love making my own elements and styles but the papers will be hard cause i love to use tons of overlays to make them...now this will be a challenge i am up for but the topic will be a little hard..

prettyingreen 09-15-2011 09:17 AM

oh rats, lol i dont always use extracted items but i have a few that i've extrated myself, i was just looking for options to help the design process move faster since i have a few other required kits to make for my store, but no worried i can make and use my other vector templates too :) this will be fun