Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > Archived Events > theStudio Birthday Bash 2012 > Next Designer Contest 2012

Next Designer Contest 2012
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 23:59 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 23:59 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 23:59 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 27, 23:59 pm

Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Using file sharing sites

I've struggled in this year's competition (and last year as well) with file sharing sites. Even though I'm careful to check my zip files to make sure they decompress, both before uploading, and after downloading, someone always has trouble with the zips. Since I only have Macs, I can't try out downloading on a PC, so what else do you guys do to check the zips?

And, I run out of bandwidth on a particular site. Without paying for a premium account somewhere, is there any way to ensure you'll have sufficient bandwidth? Any suggestions on a site with plenty? I've used MediaFire, 4Shared, DropBox, Box.com, and some others that have fallen by the wayside. What are your opinions?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 PM
theStudio Monet

Default Re: Using file sharing sites

I enjoyed your Kits this year!
I had no problem unzipping them with "7 Zip"
I run a PC and when I started downloading kits several years ago I had problems with Mac files. The only answer I got was to use "7 zip" or don't shop here. So I went and got it.

My guess would be the people that can unzip your files are using winzip.

As far as running out of Bandwidth be happy that so many like your kit! I noticed that others use more then 1 free sight and call them an alternate download link.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thanks, Amber (?). Now at least I can suggest something else to use to unzip the files.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM
theStudio Moderator

I use Izarc to unzip both zip and rar files. I have had no problems with your files.

Rae Lynn

Old 09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
theStudio Monet

I had no problems unzipping your files either Dona, and have loved everything you create!

I downloaded 7zip and it is great. You can unzip multiple files at the same time with it! Super time saver!

[/CENTER]
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM
theStudio Warhol

Quote:
Originally Posted by donakat View Post
I've struggled in this year's competition (and last year as well) with file sharing sites. Even though I'm careful to check my zip files to make sure they decompress, both before uploading, and after downloading, someone always has trouble with the zips. Since I only have Macs, I can't try out downloading on a PC, so what else do you guys do to check the zips?

And, I run out of bandwidth on a particular site. Without paying for a premium account somewhere, is there any way to ensure you'll have sufficient bandwidth? Any suggestions on a site with plenty? I've used MediaFire, 4Shared, DropBox, Box.com, and some others that have fallen by the wayside. What are your opinions?

Thanks!
I have a Mac too and got a program called Yumazip - http://www.yellowmug.com/yemuzip/

It's a drag and drop and it has the option to create Window's friendly zips....haven't had any problems since I've been using it *knocks on wood*
Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 AM
jusmedigital

i have YemuZip as well - love it and seems to work with PC & Mac.

just a thought about file sharing sites -- obtaining your own domain and server is about $12-15 for the domain and about $5 a month for hosting. i use hostmonster and they sometimes have some great deals ($3-4 / month for hosting). this is a great service to give to your customers.

like i said - just a thought.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM
theStudio Monet

When I made the decision to stop selling and just do freebies on my blog, I knew that 4shared and Mediafire wouldn't suffice, especially since I wanted to leave the links up indefinitely. After checking out the prices of several file sharing sites, I purchased a one year plan at Divshare. I see it is now $39.95 per year for a personal account that has 100GB storage and unlimited downloads. I also get direct downloads with no waiting. It was a good buy for me.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I use Amazon's S3 Service. I am able to do all my backups for my design work and also provide links for freebies and links for my CT. I love it - its very reasonable priced and you only pay for what you use! Its seriously the best investment I have ever made. Because I no longer worry that I'm going to lose my files and everything gets backed up and safe! You should really check it out! You do have to have additional software and I have found BucketExplorer to be amazing!

Visit my Blog
Old 09-29-2012, 02:02 PM
theStudio Picasso

Great suggestions, thanks so much!