Go Back   theStudio > Welcome to theStudio! > Introduce Yourself!

Introduce Yourself! New to theStudio? Or been here a while but you've been lurking? Stop here and introduce yourself! Tell us how you got started in digiscraping or what you love about digiscraping - just anything you'd like to say! We'd love to welcome you to our community! Make sure to start a new thread so you don't get lost in a thread that is already there!! ;>)

Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 AM
theStudio Scrapper

Default Kind of New and Many Questions

Hey guys! My name is Jana. I used to scrapbook like a maniac, having my camera in my kids' affairs every second of the day. I started back school about four years ago and then didn't have time for scrapbooking anymore. I'm about to graduate in a couple of weeks, so my first thought was to get back into doing something creative.
Sometimes along the way my old computer died, and with it I lost every and all my graphics that I had acumulated and also my copy of photoshop. I am thinking about getting a new copy of photoshop or something similar. What are some good new programs on the market that are commonly used in digital scrapbooking now?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: Kind of New and Many Questions

Photoshop is still { probably } the highest on the list. There's a whole list of programs though! Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp { free } , Memory Mixer , Creative Memories, inkscape......yeah that list could go on FOREVER!!

Personally for me, it's photoshop CS5. Expensive yes, but the quality is top notch and the possibilities are endless! Just like the tutorials!!!

Welcome back to the madness Jana...hang on, it's gonna be a ride!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM
theStudio Picasso

If you're not sure which you want .... Adobe has free 30 day trials you can download ... that way you won't have put out the cash until you know what you would like
Old 11-19-2013, 01:37 PM
theStudio Scrapper

Has anyone tried Photoshop CC? I'm torn between buying my personal copy vs. cloud. I was wondering if Photoshop CC is the same as Photoshop CS when it comes to tutorials.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:25 PM
theStudio CT

It seems to me that Adobe has gone to a month by month subscription-only option for the latest Photoshop CS. For me, that is cost-prohibitive (I think it is around $20 per month). I think Photoshop Elements is maybe their only product available for purchase.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:38 PM
theStudio Monet

Kabra Photoshop CS5 is supposedly is not on the monthly subscription, just the newer ones.
Just looked at Elements 12 Wow it has all kinds of cool automatic features. Thanks Tony for the link at Amazon. The videos were enlightening.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:56 PM
theStudio CT

There may be some retailers that have Photoshop CS5 available, I don't know. Sure wish I had gotten CS6 when it came out. . . .
Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 PM
theStudio Scrapper

I wasn't worried about getting a copy of Photoshop CS6, I can buy them in the student books store. I was wondering about the differences between CS6 vs Photoshop CC and whether the tutorials can be used on either version.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:05 PM
theStudio Designer

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

Hi Jana!!! ... and welcome ... and congratulations on getting your degree!!!

Photoshop CC is the upgrade from Photoshop CS6. I do use the "cloud" and, other than the cost, love it. I like that I have access to so many applications. Previously, I used Creative Suite - Web Pro ... talk about expensive!!! I use Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat extensively, so the cost of the suite was much less than buying these individually and now they, along with other applications, are all available in the cloud.

I've dabbled a little bit with PS Elements and really do recommend it, especially for the non-professional (although I know pros who use it). I have PSE11 and I'm amazed at how much it can do.

Both products have tons of tutorials for scrapbooking (along with everything else).

However, I do know folks who swear by PaintShopPro. I used this YEARS ago, before I ever got into scrapping, so I don't have any way to compare it to the Adobe products.

The three above are what's considered general purpose graphics programs. There are also programs that are strictly for scrapbooking and some of them were mentioned in Dani's post. I haven't used any of these, so, again, I am unable to do any kind of comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaM View Post
I wasn't worried about getting a copy of Photoshop CS6, I can buy them in the student books store. I was wondering about the differences between CS6 vs Photoshop CC and whether the tutorials can be used on either version.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:12 AM
theStudio Scrapper

Thank you, Jill. Your post was very enlightening. I went ahead and purchased a copy of PSE 12. I feel that I have to completely relearn the program because so many changes happened in the last four years. Right now, deciding between PSE 12 and PS CC is definitely a cost decision. I did a little reading on other sites regarding Adobe's move to cloud applications. I think that waiting it out and learning PSE 12 in the meantime is a good strategy.

Soooo, anyway, I have software and I have pictures, tons and tons of pictures. Time to get scrappin'. But where to start? Are there any good sales coming up around Thanksgiving? I need supplies!!!!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:28 PM
theStudio Designer

Glad I was able to help on the software end.

As to sale ... TONS of them on Friday (black Friday). In fact, theStudio is having their Doorbusters Sale on Friday. There's two sets of doorbusters (morning and afternoon) and the products will be $1 each. PLUS, most of the designers will be having their stores on sale too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaM View Post
Thank you, Jill. Your post was very enlightening. I went ahead and purchased a copy of PSE 12. I feel that I have to completely relearn the program because so many changes happened in the last four years. Right now, deciding between PSE 12 and PS CC is definitely a cost decision. I did a little reading on other sites regarding Adobe's move to cloud applications. I think that waiting it out and learning PSE 12 in the meantime is a good strategy.

Soooo, anyway, I have software and I have pictures, tons and tons of pictures. Time to get scrappin'. But where to start? Are there any good sales coming up around Thanksgiving? I need supplies!!!!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:35 PM
theStudio Designer

Forgot to mention ... for tutorials for Photoshop (many tuts for CS also work for PSE) theStudio regularly publishes them on their blog -- https://www.digitalscrapbookingstudi...ory/tutorials/. You can also find some tutorials in the forum under theStudio Tutorials (along with other information) -- http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...play.php?f=243.

You can find a ton more by doing a search on "PSE Scrapbooking Tutorials" ... but one of the best ways I found (and how I learned to do digiscrap) was to participate in theStudio Challenges. Besides learning the software, there's the bonus of freebies and a 10% discount on your personal use purchases the following month ... but the best bonus is getting to know the great community of people here.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 PM
theStudio Designer

Hi Jana, and welcome! I've been out of town and just now catching up with things here. Sounds like you are all set! Perhaps you might like to pop into some of the challenges, as Jill suggested! Perhaps we'll see you in my Border Challenge? Hope to see you there.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:30 AM
theStudio Picasso

Hi Jana and welcome to the Studio. It's a great place to hang out and ask questions. The ladies are always happy to answer questions