Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Question Blog Question

Hi, i've had a Blogspot blog since 2005 and switched to Wordpress in 2008. i was just using it to ramble on and off but with my interest in scrapbooking, i was thinking of resurrecting one of them... i like the tab feature in Wordpress but i noticed that 99% of scrapbooker seem to use Blogger. is it because Blogger offer more design customization and flexibility?

Wordpress offers 3gb of space and Blogger 1gb???... considering that scrapbooking is very image intensive, where do you store your pictures for display on your blog? thanks

anything else i should know about when blogging about my scraps?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: Blog Question

I find blogger so much easier to use. I manage a wordpress blog for a daycare and everything about blogger seems easier to me. I've never had storage issues. I upload my pics through blogger mostly and have had the blog for 2+ years, no storage issues yet.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
theStudio Designer

If you find you need to host your images elsewhere then link to them Photobucket seems to be the best choice for that. Easy to use and link to

I have wordpress but mainly because I host my own blog and that way I can have direct links for my freebies etc and it's more customizable for me. But if it's just to show of your layouts then Blogger is the best option I'd say!

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Thanks Stephanne and Tracy

i've thought about which blog i would resurrect all day, and then my dear friend suggested something revolutionary... starting a new blog altogether hehe.
since it's already 1 am, i guess i'll do that tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:42 AM
theStudio Designer

LOL well yes get some sleep and you can start your fresh blog, fresh in the morning post a link when it's up so we can see how it's coming along hun

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 AM
theStudio Designer

I use blogger mostly because it's linked to my google account and I everything google. The images are in my Picasa account, and I have TONS plus I use my Picasa account the way most people use Photobucket (which I hate!) I have every LO I've ever scrapped, almost all of my product previews and all the images for all my blogs (I start and stop blogs frequently....) and I have barely scratched the surface of my storage....so that is not an issue for me. I can't compare ease of use, as I've never used Wordpress.

Thanks for looking! Find more Nibbles Skribbles:

Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
theStudio Scribbler

thanks, an other question... layouts are usually 3600x3600 and between 4 to 6 mb... do you re-size them before uploading? i tried resizing one to 600x600 once and it was horribly pixelated :eek: same with pictures i guess, what resolution do you upload?

i used to have the picasa application and uploaded a lot of pictures in my web albums with it, until one day, it ate part of one of my favorite albums to no where to be seen. good thing i had made a cd of those pics for my mom cause no recovery tool could find them anywhere on my computer. so the application was uninstalled form my computer in a hurry. back then i had a 3.2MP camera, now i have a 10MP... would fill up space much quicker.

will post link to blog once i have my first post in it. i'll probably stick with with what ever design is available on bloggers for now so don't expect anything spectacular.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 AM
theStudio Designer

I picasa. The thing with Photobucket is if you stick with the free account, then when you have a number of pictures, all your bandwidth gets sucked pretty fast and your pics wont show up until you have more. I have a ton of pics on picasa and never had a problem.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 AM
theStudio Designer

Most galleries require that your layouts are resized before uploading Here's what I do: I resize to 600x600 and 72ppi and then I use the Save for Web option as a high quality jpg file. I use PSE to do so. I just use Picasa Web (so I do it all online) so I'm no help with the actual Picasa application.

Steph LOVE your siggy!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM
theStudio Scribbler

my siggy? i didn't know i had one.

i would never touch picasa's application again with a 10 foot pole. i use Gimp for photo editing. i usually save my .jpg in high quality. will have to check if there's a 72ppi options somewhere. thanks

last time i uploaded to The Studio gallery, it look like it auto re-sized it for me. real newbie here, dunno what i'm doing :p
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
theStudio Scribbler

oups, i forgot to include it in last post... as i said i would post the link to my blog as soon as i have a post in it...

here it is!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM
theStudio Designer

Sorry! I was talking about Scrappy Cocoa's new siggy Sorry for the confusion!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandak View Post
Sorry! I was talking about Scrappy Cocoa's new siggy Sorry for the confusion!
oups! it's me that's not paying attention enough through this brain fog of mine *blush* sorry!

Steph, i love your siggy too
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM
theStudio Designer

Thanks Manda, didn't it turn out super duper cute!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 PM
theStudio Designer

OH I see you are posting away too great job on the challenge too, that extraction looks fab

not sure how you resize in gimp. I'll go see if I can find out LOL I got it on my computer somewhere LOL

Steph your siggie is awesome

~~ Tracy ~~

Last edited by Ambowife Designs; 03-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 PM
theStudio Designer

Okay in GIMP this is how you resize your layout

open your full size layout
select Image>Scale Image
click on the chains next to the two settings so that when you change the pixels it will change both horizontal and vertical
same thing for the resolution x and y
then change the pixels to 600 and the resolution to 72
click scale
and you have a 600x600 image, save it as it's name then pop _web on the end so you know it's a smaller version

hope that helps you hun
sometimes if you try to upload a full 12 inch layout to our gallery it will get stuck and you can't upload again till someone clears it from your folder on the server for you. so always resize your layouts before uploading to the web. It will speed up your blog too if they are not full size
hugs
Tracy

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Thank you much Tracy
i guess i was resizing it the right way. altho i bumped the compression quality to 100% and it's a little better. maybe Gimp is just not as good as Photoshop for doing that sort of resizing and conversion stuff. or it's me that's picky about pixelation.

hope you're having a wonderful day. it's bedtime here
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
theStudio Designer

Location: I live in a sweet small seaside town called Southport in the uk.

I agree Blogger is a much better option for simply blogging and showing off your layouts. I use a self hosted wordpress now but thats so I can use it for business and add direct downloads etc but blogger is much easier to navigate. Also, there are so many cute blog layouts out there to add to blogger. Wordpress is difficult to do this (in my opinion).

Glad Tracy was able to help you with the resize issue.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 PM
theStudio Scribbler

thanks Boo

come to think of it, i do have a self hosted wordpress too... it's on a USB memory stick though, so it's not published on the web. i do strange things like that sometimes, just because it can be done hehe

today i asked my 5 year old daughter if she wanted to scrapbook and she was all happy about it. i moved some digital material on a stick to bring to my Linux box upstairs. by the time she was set up it was almost time for bed but she was having quite a bit of fun with the little bit she did already. she's eager to learn, wants me to show her but not do it for her hehe then my son decided he'd like to learn to scrapbook too. i'm just learning myself and already have 2 students hehe.

i just realized something. you and Tracy both have self hosted wordpress and you both show "title unknown" in my blog reader. you might want to look at adding a title
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM
theStudio Designer

Location: I live in a sweet small seaside town called Southport in the uk.

lol, now you are gonna have to explain that to me, how do I show a title???? Get that teacher head of yours on and let us know

And they are never too young to learn scrapbooking in my opinion, I can see a future studio Designer or two in the making here