Go Back   theStudio > Welcome to theStudio! > About theStudio

About theStudio Learn about our scrappy home on the web, ask a question or grab a blinkie!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Help please... .zip files on 4shared??

Hello everyone... feeling a little un-techy right now. Trying to use 4shared.com to share the mini I created for the color challenge. Can anyone clarify what I'm doing wrong. I know when I download other people's freebies etc there is a .zip file. I've uploaded my files to 4shared and copy/pasted the link to the forum. When I click on the link in the forum, it takes me to 4shared where the files are but requires the premium pkg for downloading of the files. (ie.. not in .zip format)
HELP please!

Thanks, Katrina
Old 08-28-2011, 06:16 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Re: Help please... .zip files on 4shared??

Hi Katrina, I'll try to help but I'll need to ask a few questions to see if I understand just what it is you're asking, but before I ask those questions, let me just mention that there are quite a few people who don't like 4-shared for downloading because of the incremental time it adds to each download, making it take a long time for users... there are other services (free ones) like mediafire and box.net that you may want to look into as well.

OK, now for the questions:
You mentioned that with 'other people's freebies there is a zip file', the way you mentioned this makes me think that you did not upload a zip file yourself, is that correct? Are you expecting 4-shared to create a zip file from the files you upload? That is not what happens, you have to put your files into an archive format (.zip or .rar, etc.) using a software that does that (there are free ones of those also - I recommend 7-zip).

If you've uploaded individual files to 4-shared then there will be a separate link to each one of those files, those links are what you will need to 'share' so people can download. To find the link for each of your files, click on the file you want in your account and when you get to the download page for it, under the download button there an area that give you the URL to it. (Edited to add: If you're sharing multiple digi scrap files, you WILL need to zip them into one file first, no one wants to take the time to download multiple files in a kit).

Have I answered your questions with my questions? Post again if you need more help.

Last edited by ladyofthethorns; 08-28-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added a note to second paragraph
Old 08-28-2011, 06:41 PM
theStudio Artist

Thank you very much for the clarifications! I have seen media fire too. The last thing I want to do is make people wait.
That's what I was wondering about .zip files. I currently don't have a zip program so I'll have to look into that. Thanks again for the reply. I'll let you know if I have more questions.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 AM
theStudio Artist

Thanks Rose,
Both suggestions totally worked! Off to play :-) !
-Katrina
Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 AM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarlsen View Post
Thanks Rose,
Both suggestions totally worked! Off to play :-) !
-Katrina
YAY!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 PM
theStudio Designer

looks like you have it all solved girls, great job and thanks Rose for helping Katrina out

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason