Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2011 > theStudio Birthday Bash 2011 > Next Designer Contest 2011

Next Designer Contest 2011
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 24:00 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 24:00 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 24:00 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 26, 24:00 pm

Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: Round 1 Chatter

Thanks Stephanne, for your tips! I name my folders by start date, but to name them by a due date, makes perfect sense, so it is something that I'll be trying. I do keep word pad notes in my folders with whatever information I need for the project. It sounds like you have it all together, especially with your sticky notes.
I have a sticky not app for my computer, but I've never bothered with it. I'm wondering if I can paste a note on my desktop!? If I can, it would be a great way to do things. Of course, I have my calendar, which notifiles me - as long as I remember to put a notification in it. lol Have a great day Steph and a great vacation when you get at it! :-)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM
theStudio Designer

i do the same i make a note pad file and just write what needs to be done and jot down a few ideas for what i might make next sometimes inspiration comes and i dont make anything on that list except for collabs and required stuff. but really i love when inspiration hits me my design process goes so fast and i just love the finished process!
Oh and I used to name my items with the kit initials like most designers but then I couldnt remember what I had by those designers, I knew the name but I couldnt remember exactly so being a designer now I just have the kit name listed unless it's a longer name like “PinG_MorningMonsters”
Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM
theStudio Hybrid CT

Oh my goodness...I just realized that I didn't go back and name all my elements and papers...I cannot believe I forgot, that is such an obvious thing that has to be done. I think that is really going to haunt me, ugh.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:55 PM
theStudio Artist

Aw. /hugs

I have done that before. That is a pain, let me tell you.... going back and renaming files. LOL! I'm sure you all know that, though.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
theStudio Scribbler

This has been a busy (and long) weekend, so I have no organization advice, I can only really work on one kit at a time - I have to focus on that to make sure I get it all done right. I do have a notebook I keep where I jot down kit ideas, element ideas, kit names, etc. so I can look back through them when I'm ready to start something new.

Anyway, I think everyone did a great job and I'm excited to find out the names of the 40 moving on, but luckily I have plenty to keep me occupied until they are announced! Good luck to everyone!!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM
theStudio Hybrid CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadkins View Post
Aw. /hugs

I have done that before. That is a pain, let me tell you.... going back and renaming files. LOL! I'm sure you all know that, though.
I usually pick my name before I start and name them as I go but I didn't with this mini. I was so obsessed with getting it done and uploaded I totally spaced on renaming the files. I hope they don't count me off too bad for not having them named properly.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
theStudio Designer

While you guys are waiting for results feel free to keep your designing gears going by checking out the member mega challenge: http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...play.php?f=302

Thanks for looking! Find more Nibbles Skribbles:

Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Aw. /hugs

There is a free program called ReNamer - just google it - then you tell it your prefix (or suffix, whatever) and add the files and it renames for you! It's the best invention ever!!

I use it all the time - it's probably my best friend! LOL

Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscwooddell View Post
I am shocked at how many there were! WOW! I so feel sorry for those voting...OUt of curiosity, do those voting have to download all the kits, then vote, or just look at them? Thats a LOT of downloading...lol
Thanks for the great fun Toiny and team!
That's a great question! I hope y'all look at the elements and papers at actual pixel size!

My Blog
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipsNSnails View Post
When I voted I did not download them all, you're right, that would be a lot of downloading! I narrowed it down by looking at previews and then downloaded to look at quality etc. Previews are a VERY important part of designing! A customer buys by looking at previews and the information you provide about the kit in the description.
Awe, gee wiz! I spent so much time on the elements and papers that I didn't have any time to do the preview like I would normally have done. Rats!!!!!!!!! Oh well, live and learn!

My Blog
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
theStudio Artist

WOW! That sounds fabulous! Gonna have to find that one, for sure!

Thanks, Vickilyn! Great name, btw! (side note - my name is Vicky Lynn!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickilyn View Post
There is a free program called ReNamer - just google it - then you tell it your prefix (or suffix, whatever) and add the files and it renames for you! It's the best invention ever!!

Old 09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:

Mac users have a program built in called automator that renames files (and a lot more) too

Thanks for looking! Find more Nibbles Skribbles:

Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:

Wow! Thank you so much for the recommendation! I just went to CNet and downloaded it! And there is a recovery wizard for deleted files there too! WooHoo!

My Blog
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyday View Post
WOW! That sounds fabulous! Gonna have to find that one, for sure!

Thanks, Vickilyn! Great name, btw! (side note - my name is Vicky Lynn!)

Glad to be of help on the ReNamer program - it would be worth it to pay for it, just glad I didn't have to! LOL

Thanks Vicky! It's actually Vickilyn Marie....then I went and named my daughter Amandalyn....she likes it but has problems with small signature lines! LOL

Old 09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
theStudio Artist

I was just checking out the forum that has the rules for the NDC in it and noticed that it looks like everyone put their preview in that forum too, but me; was I suppose too?

My Blog
Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
theStudio Artist

I didn't I don't think we had to. (I hope - lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Liv View Post
I was just checking out the forum that has the rules for the NDC in it and noticed that it looks like everyone put their preview in that forum too, but me; was I suppose too?

To rename all my files, I use Batch rename in adobe bridge. It's under the tools menu. Thankyou Mandak for that tip on automator I must go investigate! - (macs have so many cool features - I love it! Sorry to dribble - I'm such a Mac lover! LOL!)

Good Luck everyone

Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
No, it wasn't a requirement. it was completely optional. so no worries. I didn't post mine in the forum thread either. i was just too tired. lol!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
eek you had me scared for a second! i didn't add mine either
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
theStudio Artist

Ooh - running off to find that re-namer software - thanks, Vickilyn. You're a lifesaver.

LOL I love learning about shortcuts for the tedious stuff.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:03 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Ooh - running off to find that re-namer software - thanks, Vickilyn. You're a lifesaver.

LOL I love learning about shortcuts for the tedious stuff.
Not a problem! I use kit initials generally when naming my pieces, and I didn't like the name I originally picked and I was actually trying to come up with another name for that kit using the same initials so I didn't have to rename it! LOL When I found ReNamer, all my problems were solved! Well, not all but.....LOL