Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
theStudio Artist

Default What's Everyone Reading?

Paper or Digital Media?
I love my Kindle! Occasionally I still grab a paper book, but my Kindle is just so easy to slide anywhere.

I've started Debbie Macomber's latest and am impatiently waiting for the 3rd in the trilogy by Nora Roberts for the Inn at Boonsboro and the next JD Robb and Janet Evanovich series. I have them pre-ordered, just have to be patient. I also just discovered teh Witch Fairy series that's kind of interesting, it was a freebie on Amazon the other day and I'm a sucker for the freebie books if they look interesting.

I read 50 Shades of Grey back in the Spring and am thinking of reading it again.

I've given up on reading anything by Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult - I love their work but when I read its for pleasure/entertainment, I don't want to cry! I'm contemplating reading The Hunger Games, I'm just not sure if I'll like it.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: What's Everyone Reading?

I feel the same way you do re: books by Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult. And dh refuses to go to a movie based on books by Sparks, calls them crybaby chick flicks.

Right now I'm reading book 3 of a five book series called The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte.
They're about the origin of Camelot/King Arthur. I've enjoyed the premise that Arthur derived from a Roman/British leader who foresaw the collapse of the Roman Empire and built a safe place (Camulod) for his family and friends.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 PM
theStudio QC CT

I'm a very slow reader...[get too caught up on other stuff]
However, close to being finished with Flashback by Nevada Barr. I'm enjoying it. Takes place at the fort in the Dry Tortugas [that is about 70 miles or a couple hours on the boat float], "left" of Key West. I 've been there. So reading the book is cool.
m

pse-3,4,5,6, 8 , 9, 10....CS5...and PSP x3
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Chit Cat

I like mysteries and am reading a Patterson book now. I have a nook and love it.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 AM
theStudio Scribbler

I don't get much time to read but I have just finished reading my tweens books Extinction 1&2. Wasn't to bad considering it's for tweens but as shes doing a project on it I thought it might help if I know the story. Luckily it only took 2 nights to read them both. If you gave me a quiet spot with plenty of free hours I'd be reading Koontz or King though. Love the slightly twisted horror genre.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM
theStudio Owner

I just finished the fifth in the "Game of Thrones" series and am jonesing for the sixth. He needs to write faster LOL. I've got a paper back "bones" book for in the bath & the newest Sookie Stackhouse on my kindle. And a big stack of design, scrap, and cooking magazines in my office.

I'm looking to try the Fairy Witch books. Can't believe I missed the free!

my email
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I love to read... I'll read almost anything, but these days I read what my daughter is reading first... She's 17 and I like to be able to talk to her about whatever she is reading and so on... So, the last three things I've read were Jane Eyre (a requirement for AP English), Blindsided (a novel about a teen girl who loses her eyesight to glaucoma), and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (another AP English requirement). But, I can't seem to get into or through the Cuckoo's Nest and Rachel has definitely moved on, so I think I will too... Currently, she's reading something I had already gotten through, so I'm free to choose anything I like. That's the hard part for me- choosing!!

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
Old 09-06-2012, 01:46 PM
theStudio Scribbler

p.s. We enjoyed The Hunger Games series, but it got really political in the end. It was sneaky using such an interesting premise to lure me into reading about politics, which I would never do voluntarily, lol... It can be violent and a little depressing at moments, so if you don't want to cry, it might not be what you are looking for.

Instead, maybe the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld- 4 books called Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras. I thought Extras was one I could give or take but the first 3 were awesome! And, my teenage daughter enjoyed them all too!!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 PM
theStudio Designer

I was hesitant on the Hunger Games, but ended up spending about 4 days reading and doing nothing else while I finished the entire series. Thank god for my Kindle so I could just DL them as I was ready!

I just Read Matched by Ally Condie, and it was soooo good! I'm on the wait list for the kindle copy from my library right now. While I wait, I'm reading Black Echo by Michael Connelly (one of my favorite mystery authors).

I went through a dry spell with reading for a few years, didn't pick up a single book. Decided to get myself a kindle, and now I read all the time. I always have something to read with me. It's wonderful!

Thanks for looking! Find more Nibbles Skribbles:

Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
theStudio Designer

I've got TWO books to read....TWO....and can't find the time. Once I start a book it is the ONLY thing I do until I'm done
So usually takes me a night or two. I so love to read
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM
theStudio Artist

I just finished a Lee Child book, "The Affair." It read real fast and was a good story/mystery. Before that I read "The Hunger Games" Trilogy so I could converse with my grand-kids. I enjoyed them too.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiny View Post
I just finished the fifth in the "Game of Thrones" series and am jonesing for the sixth. He needs to write faster LOL. I've got a paper back "bones" book for in the bath & the newest Sookie Stackhouse on my kindle. And a big stack of design, scrap, and cooking magazines in my office.

I'm looking to try the Fairy Witch books. Can't believe I missed the free!
Toiny, I am so hanging out for the next installment of A song of Ice and Fire! Last year I devoured all 5 books in 2 weeks (I barely slept and my children were slightly neglected.....lol). I've been watching the series as well and have been pleasantly surprised at how 'true' to the book they have stayed

I'm a huge fan of Lisa Gardner, Karen Slaughter, Dean Koontz, James Patterson & Karen Robbards. And I love me a little vampire goodness too The Sookie Stackhouse series is my fav although the last book felt a little like Charlaine was running out of steam with this storyline....book 4 is still my fav.... ♥.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Chit Cat

Just finished my Patterson book and am starting the newest Terry Brooks. I read about 2 books a week. Except when I am making recipe cards for the challenge. Once I start them, I get kind of cought up and ignore everthing else. Done for this month. On to other things.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:29 PM
theStudio CT

Am reading A Mother's Heart Moved by the Hand of God. Its a book written by a dear friend of mine, Tedd Galloway, about their adopted daughter. Its about a baby born in the bush of Zambia and the mother died during childbirth and they were just waiting for the baby to die. But Tedd's wife wouldn't give up. She took care of the baby and to make a long story short, that baby has just started college here in America. She is a beautiful young lady!!!