Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > Archived Events > theStudio Birthday Bash 2012 > Next Designer Contest 2012

Next Designer Contest 2012
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 23:59 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 23:59 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 23:59 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 27, 23:59 pm

Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: Next Designer Contest: September 2012

Voted.....still have TWO DAYS LEFT!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravynfaire View Post
I feel so bad because I totally missed this. I wanted to be a part of this but due to all my homework I missed getting a kit ready in time to submit. I hope you will do this again next year because I would love to be a part of this!
Yes! We've been doing the contest every year since the site opened back in 2007 as Stone Accents Studio! 6 years of Designer Contests! And every year it gets bigger and better! So definitely plan on being here in September next year! I'm so sorry you couldn't participate this year, life has a way of doing that sometimes!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Oh wow. I'm just sick. I don't know how I missed this. I get the newsletter, but I had no idea this was going on until I saw it on Facebook a few minutes ago. I really, really wanted to do this. *sigh*

Good luck everyone!!! I'll be cheering from the sidelines for you and wishing I could play, too.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamynest View Post
Oh wow. I'm just sick. I don't know how I missed this. I get the newsletter, but I had no idea this was going on until I saw it on Facebook a few minutes ago. I really, really wanted to do this. *sigh*

Good luck everyone!!! I'll be cheering from the sidelines for you and wishing I could play, too.
That's unfortunate - but there's always next year!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 AM
theStudio Warhol

wow! I think I may have participated every year ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
Yes! We've been doing the contest every year since the site opened back in 2007 as Stone Accents Studio! 6 years of Designer Contests! And every year it gets bigger and better!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 AM
theStudio Scribbler

actually this is my third hehehe

BLOG
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamynest View Post

I'm so sorry! It was in the NL on the 1st and then I think it was in it again this past Wed. I know how life gets in the way of things, I've done this same thing time and time again! You're welcome to play along, post on your blog, and then post here in the Member Giveaway's section, it's a great way to get noticed and you never know what will come of that
Old 09-07-2012, 03:12 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Don't know if i had to post here
so..i do.

Here is the entry i posted in the gallery previoulsy.
You all made beautifull post.

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...-the-moon.html
Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 AM
theStudio Party Girl

It's not required to post a link or image here in the forum, but you can if you want

Your entry is stunning!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM
theStudio Rembrandt

will there be a contest like last year for the contestants that didn't make it through the 1st round? what was it called?, the 2nd chance contest?? or something like that??
Old 09-08-2012, 12:02 PM
theStudio CT

I hope there will be too Carmen! Does anybody know if there will be a second-chance competition?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 PM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy Re: Next Designer Contest: September 2012

Yes there will be a second-chance competition! It should be up shortly (this weekend LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4bears View Post
I hope there will be too Carmen! Does anybody know if there will be a second-chance competition?

my email
Old 09-08-2012, 03:39 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

thanks Toiny! it is fun to play along
Old 09-09-2012, 01:31 PM
theStudio Designer

I'm sure it was so darned close for some of you that didn't make it, there were so many great minis that were entered. You all did so very well!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I have a question about the use of CU items in creating the minikits for the weekly challenges. The contest rules for both week 1 and week 2 state the following: "You may use commercial use/designer resource products in the creation of your kit." Now the last thing I want to do is to stir up a hornet's nest, but I am wondering how consumers (i.e., the people who purchase these products) feel about the use of CU items.

When I see a new kit for sale, it is sometimes difficult for me to determine just how much of it is original and how much is CU materials purchased from other designers and then recolored or tweaked slightly (or whatever it is that people do with CU items). I ask because I have noticed a sameness that has been creeping into the digital scrapbooking industry. As a good example, recently a number of designers used the exact same CU items for a blog train. Whether they were bows or flowers or other items doesn't really matter; what did matter was that everything looked the same in that blog train!

In fact, using CU items has gotten to be so pervasive that I rarely purchase or download anything any more because I have so many kits that all look the same. What I would really like to see is designers ... no, artists ... who are actually doing their own sketches, drawings, doodles, etc. I want to see their take on how the world looks, not what other people have designed because maybe they are lucky enough to own a Wacom or whatever it is one needs to design.

That's why I'm relying on you as artists to create your own visions that will move me enough to purchase your products. Believe me, I know how hard it is to design. I can't do it; I've tried. I just plain don't have a "painterly eye." I can't sing worth a toot, and I can't draw either, but I sure can dance and I also love to build pretty layouts with the lovely things YOU CREATE. Not someone else. Heck, since you've provided the credits, I'll just go to that person's site and purchase the CU items for myself.

So please don't put a kit together using a bunch of CU items that you purchased and then call yourself a designer. And please don't be angry at me for stating the obvious about a problem that is rampant in the digital scrapbooking industry. I don't want to make anyone feel bad or guilty. What I do want to do is encourage everyone who wants to be a digital scrapbook designer to develop her own talents. Take classes in art and design. Learn how colors work together. Doodle and sketch a lot. Practice, practice, practice! And above all, develop your own true vision.

Thank you very much for reading my little rant. This has been bothering me for a long, long time. So tonight when I saw a nice enough minikit in Round 1but then read all the credits for CU items, I was astounded. The person really hadn't done much of anything that was her own. The Studio is seeking a new designer, but I hope that whomever is chosen is actually a designer, an artist, someone with design skills who knows how to create new art using a design program, not just another colorist.