Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > Archived Events > theStudio Birthday Bash 2012 > Next Designer Contest 2012

Next Designer Contest 2012
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 23:59 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 23:59 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 23:59 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 27, 23:59 pm

Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: Chat Thread: Week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiny View Post
I just want to mention... I'm dreaming of your mini's!!!
Thatīs because all the minis are "moonrise"-kits

Sleep well this night, Toiny
Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Didn't even know this was here. But the week has been crazy for me. Our second week of school (I am the asst. director of a preschool) and it has just been so busy. I was so excited about the contest and uploaded my entry and then went to bed. Woke up the next morning so excited to check and someone said I had my blog train download for the download. I am very OCD so I freak out completely. I had clicked on the first link instead of the second. Teach me not to double check (it was late and I posted and went to bed). I scrambled and replaced that and then I checked again before I left for work and it said they couldn't download and I was over my bandwidth. So I go in there and pay for more room and had to run to work. I didn't get to check till later when I got home from work because I had gone out to eat for my birthday. It said they were getting the same error. I go check and it does not show my extra bandwidth. I am really not happy now and went and paid again and it instantly showed so I don't know what happened. I am trying to figure it all out and have been. I signed up for a website but can't figure out how to get the link for the uploads so people can download. I have burned the midnight oil trying to figure it out but it is such fun. I am loving all the mini kits and the spirit and kindness of everyone is amazing. Good luck to everyone!! This girl is here to stay, can't wait to have more time to check everything out.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Wow! That's a lot of turmoil for a mini kit! lol So glad you got it sorted, and that you're planning on staying!! We love our happy little family here, hope you do, too, and become a part of it!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM
theStudio QC CT

Hi everyone! I took a long break from designing & have just started again, this is the first time I have entered a design contest. Definitely on pins and needles til Saturday, lol. I used to design as Munchkyn Scraps and when I decided I wanted to start again, I decided to change my design name so you'll see my entry under Jody_M Design. I started on my mini when I got the newsletter announcement then real life got in the way & I ended up scrambling last night to get it done & posted. I think I got it up about 10 minutes before the midnight EST deadline, lol. I think I may have a boo-boo in my mini tho. When I read thru the rules and saw we could also have black or white along with the palette I made one element, a cloud frame, that is white with a moon & stars in the palette colors. Since I was short on time I didn't read thru the entire round 1 thread til today & saw Toiny's post about only using black or white as accent colors not as an element base color. If this disqualifies me I'm ok with that. It was great fun just to participate :-) I don't envy you all your job as judges, every kit in the gallery is fabulous!! I could never decide on which ones to vote for, lol. What a fabulous collab kit this is & I'm looking forward to downloading each one (hopefully tonight after the family is in bed) and am grateful to have the chance to participate :-)
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
theStudio Warhol

looking back I what I did ... I have so much more ... very inspiring palette
Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlen124 View Post
looking back I what I did ... I have so much more ... very inspiring palette
I was thinking the same thing! I had a hard time narrowing my elements down to 12. It would be fun to go back and turn it into a full kit later.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 PM
theStudio Designer

Just finished looking at the last of the entries tonight and there is some amazing stuff in there that's for sure. Such creativity - you've all done so very well. And if you're new to designing and it's your first time, it's a big step and you'll be glad you did it.

It is important to follow the rules though as I noticed there were probably a few no-nos, but fabulous to look at none-the-less. Give yourselves a bit pat on the back for a job well done!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
Hey, while your waiting, come play BINGO with us!! You have until tomorrow at 2pm EST to get your card uploaded!!
Guys, I totally goofed! I really thought yesterday was Friday... like, ALL DAY!! Was completely bummed when I discovered it was only Thurs at 7pm and realized I had to get up and get kids ready for school the next day! Geesh, I complain about not having enough time and here I go skipping a day!

So, you have all day today to get your cards uploaded for the game, which starts tomorrow!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM
theStudio Scribbler

I hate when that happens. I did that this week because Monday was a holiday so I was off on my days. When my boys were growing up I homeschooled them so we were always at home. I liked the not having to rush them out the door thing.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM
theStudio Party Girl

I so wish I was brave enough to homeschool - right now we spend a good amount of $$ to send the kids to Catholic School because our Public School System leaves A LOT to be desired!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Well it isn't for everyone but I will tell you that it scared me badly at first. I read up on it and realized that it wasn't that hard. We do it everyday as moms just teaching our kids how to live life. When I had to do the hard stuff like Algebra I found resources to teach it. Now you can find apps that will teach it. I knew a math major and just asked her for help. I think I was more excited than my son when I learned it. haha. I have one that would teach himself basically. I just assigned the work and he did it, the other one. He has ADHD and I always kind of suspected it. Well he could work for a while and then do something else then get back to his work. I had to find what worked with him but we know our kids so that isn't to difficult. It is when they are in a classroom of kids and are expected to conform or they are wrong. I work at a preschool and the parents and teachers do it there. Gets me everytime. One teacher told a little one, act like your five. I wanted to tell her, he IS acting like he is five. He IS ONLY five. I did get nervous when my sons needed their transcripts, one went into the Navy and the other for job interviews. Didn't have a problem, whew!! I don't regret it for a minute, I also had to work as I was a single mom (divorced) but I ran a daycare in my home so it worked for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:06 AM
theStudio Artist

I wish I had been a day ahead. I've been a day behind all week. Today, I went to my 9am appointment to find that it was actually yesterday. *sigh*

Quote:
Guys, I totally goofed! I really thought yesterday was Friday... like, ALL DAY!! Was completely bummed when I discovered it was only Thurs at 7pm and realized I had to get up and get kids ready for school the next day! Geesh, I complain about not having enough time and here I go skipping a day!

So, you have all day today to get your cards uploaded for the game, which starts tomorrow!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM
theStudio Artist

This is a phenomenal testimony to homeschooling. I have no kids so it is pretty easy for me to be an advocate- I don't have to put my money where my mouth is. Stories like this are awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedsusan View Post
Well it isn't for everyone but I will tell you that it scared me badly at first. I read up on it and realized that it wasn't that hard. We do it everyday as moms just teaching our kids how to live life. When I had to do the hard stuff like Algebra I found resources to teach it. Now you can find apps that will teach it. I knew a math major and just asked her for help. I think I was more excited than my son when I learned it. haha. I have one that would teach himself basically. I just assigned the work and he did it, the other one. He has ADHD and I always kind of suspected it. Well he could work for a while and then do something else then get back to his work. I had to find what worked with him but we know our kids so that isn't to difficult. It is when they are in a classroom of kids and are expected to conform or they are wrong. I work at a preschool and the parents and teachers do it there. Gets me everytime. One teacher told a little one, act like your five. I wanted to tell her, he IS acting like he is five. He IS ONLY five. I did get nervous when my sons needed their transcripts, one went into the Navy and the other for job interviews. Didn't have a problem, whew!! I don't regret it for a minute, I also had to work as I was a single mom (divorced) but I ran a daycare in my home so it worked for me.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedsusan View Post
That is amazing and I completely admire you! Yes, I hate when people don't allow kids to just be kids sometimes! One of the reasons I LOVE the school we have our kids in now! It's small, class sizes are only 5-12 kids per classroom and the teacher's there are genuinely involved with the students! They volunteer their time so freely and willingly! And it is a very comfortable feeling there, they welcome you in so graciously! I've never had a problem with them, I've only been encouraged by them, and they treat my kids like they are their own, which I love! So, to me, it's pretty well-worth the cost!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM
theStudio CT

As a retired 1st grade teacher I can tell you the pressure on our kids is increasing all the time. Preschool and Kindergarten kiddos are expected to know what 1st and 2nd graders were taught just a few years ago. When I retired 2 years ago we were not allowed to do any science, geography, social studies-it was all reading and math. Whatever happened to the thinking that a child's play is their "work"? We were even "monitored" if we happened to take a recess outside! No good for the teachers and definitely no good for the kids as far as I'm concerned. I guess I shouldn't wonder why my blood pressure was sky high by the time I retired. Homeschooling looks better and better...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
theStudio CT

Kimberly,
Sounds like you have your kids in a wonderful place. Believe me-that is how it is supposed to be!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Exactly Pam! I often wonder why our children are so pressured in this day and age? Is it because of working parents? Why can't children PLAY for pete's sake! I don't expect my children to be mature at age 6 & 7 but a lot of parents & adults do! I understand the whining, the fighting, the arguing.... they're KIDS! I understand them not wanting to do hours of homework after they've been in school all day long! I understand them just wanting to take a break after a while! I understand not wanting to follow the rules all the time, who the heck does? Why is it okay for adults to sit back and relax, but not our children? It's all just craziness to me, and some people think I'm crazy for allowing my kids to act like kids! Go ahead, scream all you want in WalMart because you want that toy... you're still not getting it! lol But some parents wouldn't even THINK to allow their child to react like that, and I think that's wrong, it's a natural reaction for children! They don't have the knowledge & means to express themselves, like we do! And some adults are sorely lacking in that department, too!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:10 PM
theStudio CT

Kimberly, I couldn't agree more!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM
theStudio Party Girl

I think I hijacked the thread! lol Really didn't mean to do that, sorry!

Commence with the stressed-out, refresh-happy, ball of nerves please!!

Jill.... I know you're out there...... waiting........ and watching..........
Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
I think I hijacked the thread! lol Really didn't mean to do that, sorry!

Commence with the stressed-out, refresh-happy, ball of nerves please!!

Jill.... I know you're out there...... waiting........ and watching..........
You did great!!!! I can't be the only thread hijacker in here! LOL

I'm actually trying to get a kit finished so I can start another....was already finished and then I had to go and change it up so now I have to make a whole NEW set of previews and add a few elements...should have just left it as it was! LOL

What time tomorrow?????