Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > Archived Events > theStudio Birthday Bash 2012 > Next Designer Contest 2012

Next Designer Contest 2012
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 23:59 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 23:59 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 23:59 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 27, 23:59 pm

Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 AM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: NDC 2012: Round 3 Challenge

hmmm, ok... waiting and starting with stuff from the very very scratch now =))
Old 09-15-2012, 10:11 AM
theStudio Guest Designer

well wouldn't that fall under "your own design skills"?

this is going to be a tough round, good luck everyone!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 AM
theStudio Artist

Ok, I haven't been a Designer here long, so I'm going to try to answer as best I can

My interpretation of the rules would be that if it is standard shapes, brushes or textures that came with your program, then that is ok. If you extract it yourself from your own photos, then that is ok too. Using something that someone else created (excluding the CU prize pack) is not allowed. ♥
Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 AM
jusmedigital

the way it was last year -- and I'm pretty sure it's the same this year (except you guys received the awesome CU grab bag) -- anything that came STANDARD with your design program, you can use. shapes, brushes, styles, etc. you may create your own CU items (including brushes, overlays, etc). just make sure you credit appropriately.

for example:
ribbon 1 - scanned & extracted by me
paper 3 - used shapes with photoshop CS5

it is my understanding that you may NOT use filter plug ins or additional software such as art rage, filter forge, etc.

good luck!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:29 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenyurko View Post
well wouldn't that fall under "your own design skills"?
Yes! That is correct! That is what this statement means, anything YOU personally took the time to create from scratch. If you started with someone else's template, NO! If you created your own template using shapes from your program, YES! If you used someone else's shapes, NO! If you created your own shapes using your program, YES! etc, etc... It has to all come from you, excluding the stuff you can make using the CU grabbag you were given

Be creative! All the stuff in the grabbag has many more uses than what it was intended for, you just have to use a little imagination! You can do it guys, I know it seems tough, but you all are stellar designers!!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeza View Post
Ok, I haven't been a Designer here long, so I'm going to try to answer as best I can

My interpretation of the rules would be that if it is standard shapes, brushes or textures that came with your program, then that is ok. If you extract it yourself from your own photos, then that is ok too. Using something that someone else created (excluding the CU prize pack) is not allowed. ♥
Exactly what Bree said!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 AM
theStudio Designer

Wow - this is going to stretch you guys a bit more! Can't wait to see what you all are going to create. And the photo - it's almost like a duotone picture. So creating contrasts will be interesting. GOOD LUCK to you all!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:34 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmedigital View Post
the way it was last year -- and I'm pretty sure it's the same this year (except you guys received the awesome CU grab bag) -- anything that came STANDARD with your design program, you can use. shapes, brushes, styles, etc. you may create your own CU items (including brushes, overlays, etc). just make sure you credit appropriately.

for example:

it is my understanding that you may NOT use filter plug ins or additional software such as art rage, filter forge, etc.

good luck!

That is all correct! So no using actions, unless you created the action yourself, from scratch!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 AM
theStudio Artist

Got it! (i think...LOL) Thanks for the clarification....sometimes I need stuff to be REALLY broken down!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:44 AM
theStudio Party Girl

No problem, Jill! I'm sure all the other contestants were thinking the same as you, and Thanking you for asking for exact clarification! This round, to me, is the toughest round of the entire contest and I completely understand the nerves being high and wanting to make sure you "get it right"

Please, ask more questions if you are unsure, that's what we're all here for!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 AM
theStudio Designer

Another stupid question from me...
I'm allowed to use one additional color. Let's say I chose red. Can I then use metals from the grab bag (for example the styles or hardware) and recolor to gold? Or would be gold another color and disqualify me?. So sorry for being a pita
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 AM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu79 View Post
I'm allowed to use one additional color. Let's say I chose red. Can I then use metals from the grab bag (for example the styles or hardware) and recolor to gold? Or would be gold another color and disqualify me?. So sorry for being a pita
Manu....I think they're going to put us in a rubber room after all of these question!

So if silver or gold are not your extra color, then there should not be any "metals" in your kit.....did that EVEN make sense??? Feel free to send me to that room I've set up for me and Manu.....the white jackets look comfy and we can hug ourselves all day!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu79 View Post
That is correct! But, I believe there are enough neutral/brown/yellowish tones in the color palette for you to get a "gold" color Obviously, silver/chrome is out! lol although, with that light bluish-green, you could probably come close!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by createdbyjill View Post
Manu....I think they're going to put us in a rubber room after all of these question!

So if silver or gold are not your extra color, then there should not be any "metals" in your kit.....did that EVEN make sense??? Feel free to send me to that room I've set up for me and Manu.....the white jackets look comfy and we can hug ourselves all day!
But I believe you can achieve these colors/effects with the color palette!

Top row, 4th color in, that grey-blue/green color, that could potentially recolor your metal hardware to a "silver"-ish

2nd Row, last color, that could potentially be your "gold"

Then you have the option of adding another color make sense?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:08 AM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
But I believe you can achieve these colors/effects with the color palette!

Top row, 4th color in, that grey-blue/green color, that could potentially recolor your metal hardware to a "silver"-ish

2nd Row, last color, that could potentially be your "gold"

Then you have the option of adding another color make sense?
Yes indeedy....who's ready for a nap??? My brain hurts
Old 09-15-2012, 11:13 AM
theStudio Party Girl

I want a jacket! I'd like to hug myself all day..... at least I could sleep!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 AM
theStudio Designer

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

I'm sure glad I'm on Pacific time so I could have most of my questions answered ... I was a little afraid I would have too many. However, reading this post did bring up another question. I have MULTIPLE graphics programs, including Art Rage and Filter Forge (which I use in standalone mode). I can understand not being able to use Filter Forge, but I don't understand why one couldn't use Art Rage. What if that were the only graphics program someone had (I actually know folks that only have Art Rage)? Are we only allowed to uses certain graphics applications???

Also, may we use more than one graphics program??? I have Adobe CS5 Web Pro which includes Illustrator and Photoshop Extended (along with Flash and Fireworks which I don't use) and I often use both to create things since I haven't really gotten the hang of using vectors in Photoshop. I also have Painter Essentials, Art Rage, and some iPad applications that I use depending upon the effect I'm trying to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmedigital View Post

for example:

good luck!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:42 AM
theStudio Designer

Oh yes, I will get my gold - either with the colors given and using blending modes and whatever OR I could use my very own Gold Styles I made from scratch years ago and even don't sell them anymore because they're so old Need to dig them out...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiny View Post

You may NOT use commercial use/designer resource products in the creation of your kit. You may use more than one photo-editing/vector program to create your kit. You may NOT use plug-ins.

I would assume ArtRage is okay, it's not a plug-in. But Filter Forge & similar "plug-in" types are out, even though they do offer the stand-alone feature, it's considered a Photoshop plug-in program.

I'm not exactly sure, but ArtRage would fall under the "vector" programs, correct? Anyone more familiar with ArtRage? It's a drawing program, right? Like Illustrator? Or Corel Draw?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:58 AM
theStudio Artist

he he, I FIRST do my nap and then come back to ask all my many questions - and now I find a lot of them answered yet. Great.Thank you Manu and Jill and the others! :-)

There´s still a question:
What kind of fonts are we allowed to use??
I don´t know which fonts came original from my notebook and which fonts I have downloaded...
There are fonts with flowers or patterns (like paisley), may we use them to create new patterns?

This round is great, but I hope my time is not to short to do it. :-(