Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 10-26-2012, 08:48 AM
theStudio Artist

Default Hurricane Sandy

So who's on the East Coast and prepping?
There's good chance hubby will get called in to work on his days off next week so I'm planning on being prepared to be home alone with 3 kids and a chance of no power. Good thing I have plenty of paper scrap stuff and plenty to read.
We're putting our camping gear where its easily accessible in case we need it to cook on, heat etc. I'm debating on whether or not to take the kids and go to my parents like I did last year when the storm came through and hubby had to work.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 AM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

We're prepping. We got nailed by Irene last year even though it was downgraded after it hit land up here and power was out for ages. I usually prep for every storm regardless as my MIL has bad food allergies and normally comes to stay with us during a storm as she's in a heavy power-outage zone. We have two fridges and a chest freezer so everything that fits goes into the chest freezer - and that keeps for about a week. We have Coleman water containers we fill with water and we have my MIL's generator since she can't start it up anymore. We also make sure our propane tanks are filled up for the grill and that I have some easy to cook canned goods. Last year we were caught unawares with all the power outages and although I had some food prepared, I wasn't prepared for week-long power outages. They've been doing a ton of line/tree work in the northeast so I'm hoping that will help some. There was extensive damage last year from the fact that we hadn't had a big storm in so many years (so trees were due to prune themselves) so every time the wind blows here it seems we lose a ton more branches then in years past because of Irene sustained damage. Its looking more and more like its going to hit between Delaware/NJ so I'm not as concerned as I was when it was aimed at southern New England. Things can change at the last minute though so I figure its better safe then sorry. The whole milk and bread thing makes me laugh though... milk spoils!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM
theStudio Artist

I'm in Delaware! I went to my mom's with Irene with all 3 kids since Hubby was scheduled to work. I might try to stay home and ride this one out, he is supposed to be off, but there's a good chance he will get called in if it gets bad.

I picked up a couple boxes of almond milk, so the kids and I can have cereal and I can fill a sippy cup if power is out that long. I have 2 Boyscouts so they can handle a lot of cooking I do plan on making some muffins this weekend to have something semi healthy and filling. Those kids would live off poptarts if I let them!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM
theStudio Artist

Wish my kids drank almond milk. I have rice milk here. Its too sweet for me though. I did stock up on Frosted-Mini Wheats... that's the household favorite here as long as they are storebrand
Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM
theStudio Artist

I've got the little one on it, I love it. I usually don't share though.
Hubby's been running around this morning picking up gas tanks for the grill, heater and stove. From the sounds of things its going to be interesting. There's already rumors about state of emergency here next week.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 AM
theStudio CT

Not I but I've been keeping in touch with my parents and other family since they are all up in CT. Last year they got that bad snowstorm and were out of power for weeks! Course they weren't all prepared for it either. Hopefully all the rain they say is coming won't flood everyone out. Rain starting tonight thru Tuesday? Yikes!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 AM
theStudio Monet

I just saw that Sandy has been downgraded to a Tropical Storm. Hope that means a lot less problems for everyone on the east coast!

[/CENTER]
Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 AM
theStudio Designer

Watching the news reports, it seems a lot are really preparing for it, and that's a good thing. Watching the news last night, what they were really concerned about was when it hit land it would meet up with another system coming from the other direction and that's where the trouble would really be. Hoping everyone can be as safe as possible!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 AM
theStudio CT

That other system was a cold front with snow! Though I'm sure they wouldn't all get that up there! LOL!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 PM
theStudio Warhol

Im in PA...I have a freezer full, but I better go get some candles and batteries!!! LOL
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM
theStudio Artist

Right now Delaware is the only state that has not declared a State of Emergency yet. I hope we're prepared! Got plenty of water ran, plus bottles, juice boxes for kids, canned goods, cookies, chocolate and wine! Hubby's been securing everything outside all morning and I've been getting all the candles, lighters, lanterns and general cleaning inside. Laundry is done and I just need to reload the dishwasher to run tonight. After tonight its all paper plates

I'm having a Hurricane kick off party tonight after hubby goes to work, a little downtime with the girls before the insanity hits!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:58 PM
theStudio CT

I hope everyone stays safe. My prayers are with all in the region.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 PM
theStudio Designer

I'm glad I live in California. "All" we deal with here is earthquakes.
(Seriously.. what is worse? I have no idea.)

Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 AM
theStudio CT

PLEASE!!!! Take this one seriously!!! In my 25 years with the Red Cross Disaster Team, the only other storm I was afraid of was the "Perfect Storm". This one is NASTY!!! Its because it is a hurricane embedded inside one of the largest N'or Easterns I have ever seen!!! I have never experienced anything like this before. Its called a hybrid storm because it is two storms in one.
Yes, I know a lot of times the storms turn out not as bad as what they report. But they MUST always report the worse----just in case!!! I would rather hear the worse and then have the storm fizzzle out, then not be prepared.
I worry about NYC because it wasn't as bad as they predicted for Irene and I am afraid the people will brush this one off. This COULD be a lot worse in NYC than Irene was because of the surge coming in not only from the Atlantic but also from Long Island Sound. I hope I'm wrong!!
So, last word, PLEASE be prepared, move away from the coastlines, and listen to those weather reports!!!
Thoughts and prayers with all our East Coast corridor friends.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 AM
theStudio CT

I just read that lots of people from NYC are evacuated! I can only hope it will not be as bad as they think, but I agree with Nancy. Better safe then sorry!!
Following the news here in the Netherlands, knowing I'm safe, but I do feel for all you people out there!!

Creative for
The Studio, Ambowife Designs, BooLand Designs, Lara's Digiworld, Sarah Barber Designs, Feli Designs, Berna Datema, Joelle Designs, Cryztal Rain, Crowabout StudioB, Marta van Eck, Aneczka Designs,Studio Manu, Misker Whiskers

I'm proud to be a
Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 PM
theStudio Designer

Things are not good on either side of the continent. I would definitely be prepared for the worst. We had a 7.7 earthquake here in BC last night. It was off the coast on a group of islands called Haida Gwaii. They used to be called the Queen Charlotte Islands, but the fault that runs through the islands is basically a continuation of the San Andreas fault. I have friends that live up there and I seriously can't believe there wasn't loss of life or extreme damage. Perhaps because there's not a lot of big buildings there. There are small towns on the island. But it was the 3rd largest in our history - larger than the couple in New Zealand last year that his Christchurch. And the fact that there wasn't really a tsunami was amazing. There was even a warning for Hawaii but that has been lifted. The kind of quake it was might have determined it - it being more back and forth than up and down. It's the thrusting up that can really cause a tsunami - so we were extremely lucky! People have been prepared for such a thing for a while, so for all the evacuations that happened, apparently everyone did so well. That's good to know - so please, be prepared!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM
theStudio Artist

We are taking it seriously. We are further inland - I'm just North of Providence, RI. The flooding around here expected from storm surges is what scares me. I don't think I will be affected as much (except for the sustained winds) but the coastal areas are what scare me. My husband works on the island part of Rhode Island and I'm not sure what he's going to do about work since bridges close and all that. RI only just declared a state of emergency today (although the hurricane barrier closed in Providence) From what I understand this is supposed to generate the worse flooding since the 50's... I'm not sure why so many people are brushing it off. We've got our water (I keep Coleman jugs for this reason), batteries, generator, propane for the grill, etc. We lost power forever with Irene and I don't want to get caught unprepared.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
theStudio CT

Thats exactly what frightens me the most----the people that brush it off!! You can't brush this one off!!! Its another Perfect Storm, just like the one in the 90s. This monster is 900 miles across from North to South!!! And the fact that it is moving so slow is what will bring the horrible surges and flooding. I am so glad to read that you are all getting prepared. I am out of harms way here in South Carolina. Just like Irene, it just brushed by us. We had heavy wind and lots of rain yesterday but that was all, and it didn't last long.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 PM
theStudio Scribbler

To everyone who will possibly be touched at all by this storm I pray that you will all be alright. I've seen the devastation of a cat 5 cyclone at my husbands mine site (western Australia) and it isn't pretty. Please be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck to you all.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
theStudio Artist

We are as prepared as we can get, we aren't near any evac areas, but the entire coast of Delaware has been under mandatory evacuation notice since yesterday and driving restriction were just put into effect tonight. Hubby is working tonight but will be home (fingers crossed) tomorrow and tomorrow night unless he gets called in. We are prepared to be without power and hoping we don't flood, the water from a tax ditch behind our house got pretty high with Irene so we'll be keeping an eye out.