Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default Freebie downloads and viruses

I recently got back into digi scrapping. I love the freebies but within the last 60 days I have had not one but two virus crashes. I take my laptop to my pc guy and he tells me to stop downloading from host file sites. Each time my laptop crashes due to DL virus it cost me $50s. Whats a digi freebie freak to do? any advise? I have norton and another windows virus dector.

Thanks in advance, Tamie
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
theStudio CT

Default Re: Freebie downloads and viruses

Hummmm---I always get a message that the download has been checked for viruses and is clean, so I go ahead and download it. I have never had a problem. Hope you find an answer.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 PM
theStudio Scrapper

Since most of the designer's freebies are at mediafire, I finally just gave in a few weeks ago and got a subscription at mediafire because, I too, kept getting many viruses from their ads. It's not the designer's downloads. I came to the conclusion that 9.00 per month was cheaper than taking the chance of losing everything I had. Now, I first go to mediafire and have my account open, then I go to the links for downloading (with the other open, so I don't have to log in each time and get any ad beforehand). It's been great for me. No ads, no viruses.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Chit Cat

So sorry to hear that. It is one of the reasons I don't download very many free things.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
theStudio Warhol

Ahhh, Yeah I knew it wasn't the designers fault by no means. I notice I get more ad's for over seas download hosting sites, kinda of wierd and I am going to have to do that, Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx5ft2 View Post
Since most of the designer's freebies are at mediafire, I finally just gave in a few weeks ago and got a subscription at mediafire because, I too, kept getting many viruses from their ads. It's not the designer's downloads. I came to the conclusion that 9.00 per month was cheaper than taking the chance of losing everything I had. Now, I first go to mediafire and have my account open, then I go to the links for downloading (with the other open, so I don't have to log in each time and get any ad beforehand). It's been great for me. No ads, no viruses.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 AM
theStudio Scrapper

I have much much experience in downloading freebies and getting viruses. I have found a way to go virus free for about a year now. This is how I do it.
I download worry free from 4 shared worry free directly to my c: drive . IF I want a freebie that is NOT from 4shared...... mostly media fire, I download them to a zip drive. (the memory stick on a chain that I keep in my computer pretty much all the time... if you don't know what it is ask me). This way I didn't "open the door" to my computer to let the virus in. I only let it into this $10 device (which I don't think can crash ). I will also allow myself to download from "other" sites that seem popular like dropbox or what not, but only to my portable memory stick drive. If the site seems off the wall new/crazy/foreigncountry ... etc... I weigh the advantages of how bad I want the item. If I go ahead and try it and have trouble and don't get a smooth download in 1 minute of trying I take it as a sign of trouble and abort mission immediately. I also download anything that is a "direct" download right to my computer worry free, these links usually involve a word/phrase/title like bit/lily I don't know what it means but those downloads just pop up on your screen with an open box and easy easy quick download. Extracting the zip files from the media stick/memory stick allows you to choose where you want to put it in your computer, I just put it wherever from there ( xmas design in xmas folder, halloween folder, etc....)
secondly
if you HAVE a virus there is a free download from malwarebytes.org that will eliminate the virus. It downloads the program into your computer and you can use it over and over again to remove nasty viruses . It updates about twice a year. very reliable and popular. Radio Dj's talk about how it saves their lives when there computer crashes. go to that malware site and click download now, it brings you to another site like CNET or MAJORGEEKS these are also SAFE trusted sites. just do it.

writeback any questions.
my email is [email protected]
my name is Judy

have fun with freebies !!!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 PM
theStudio Designer

Judy - great advice - thanks for sharing. I personally haven't had issues, but I'm not really a freebie seeker anymore, plus I have a Mac, so it usually doesn't affect us.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 PM
theStudio Warhol

Great advise!! I got a warning from my Mcafee not to go into sweet shop, ive been trying all day
Old 10-31-2012, 11:56 PM
theStudio Designer

Another option to make downloading things safer is using script and ad blocker add-ins for your browser.

Personally I use Adblock Plus, NoScript and Better Privacy for Firefox.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 AM
theStudio Monet

I have Trend Anti-Virus Software. The more expensive one. Great Protection.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM
theStudio Designer

I never thought about downloading to a little flash drive - that makes total sense. My hubby is in IT so he has every computer in our house protected to the max so I don't have to worry. I think what he did was use an old computer as a 'server' for us all and it works as a firewall. I do know that most people don't have the luxury of a tech husband though!

I wish I had advice ... the downside of having a tech husband is he does it all for me so I don't really know what the details are. I should learn!!