Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > Holiday Recipe Sharing

Holiday Recipe Sharing Got a Holiday Recipe to share, here's the place to post it.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 AM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy Christmas Dinner?

What are your traditions? What do you cook for your family?

Traditionally I cook rabbit. I've been told in no-uncertain terms, they do not want rabbit. Last year I did a turkey, but I'd like to do something more Christmas-y & less Thanksgiving-y.

Any ideas? Recipes much, much appreciated!

my email
Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 AM
theStudio CT

Default Re: Christmas Dinner?

Well, being as my husband was from Germany, it seemed the tradition there was goose. He loved it! So for many years we had goose. My daughter, whom I live with always cooks a turkey, as did my mom when we were growing up. Yum!! Now I am looking forward to that big Christmas dinner in a few weeks!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 AM
theStudio Designer

I traditionally do things we like at all, such as shrimp, prawns, eels, octopus ... and for the main course, roast lamb and roast suckling pig. Although last year my mother brought roast beef tenderloin and it was fantastic, with roast potatoes.

Personal Use Store · Commercial Use Store · Blog · Newsletter · Facebook · Pinterest · Twitter · Google+

2007 - 2014 eqrAveziur graphic & design. All rights reserved.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 AM
theStudio Owner

I'd love to do a goose, but Dave says he doesn't like goose (as far as I know he's never had goose). Beef tenderloin sounds yummy, though terribly expensive if I mess it up LOL!

my email
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM
theStudio Designer

We usually have turkey as the kids are happy with that, but it will be a Norfolk Bronze free range one. I love goose and we use to have that before we had children, a good alternative is duck or maybe a roast gammon ham that has been soaked/ marinated with spices and oranges!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM
theStudio CT

Somewhere along the way I was doing 2 Christmas dinners - both with turkey and ham (since not everyone like one or the other). Then about 4 years ago, we decided to move our Christmas closer to New Years when it was just easier for the girls to come home. After one year of the traditiona dinner, they asked if we could have one of our traditional "Junk Food Days". Years ago, when they were little, on New Years we'd have just snack food so I could watch football. That was something that they started inviting their friends too and it just kind of grew. Didn't realize how much of an impact it made on them!!! So now, we do a traditional dinner at my mother-in-law's house and "Junk Food Day" at my house for Christmas. I have to say, it really gives me more time to spend with the grandkids now that they have started coming along!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM
theStudio CT

When my Mama was alive we had the traditional dinner with turkey and ham. We basically spent the whole day there grazing. When she got sick, we migrated to a more junk food type menu to make things easy for everyone and we loved it. After she passed away, I kept the traditional meal going. I did have a beef tenderloin last year and it was yummy - but I had the same fear as you, Toiny! That I might mess it up since it was very expensive. I like the idea of a junk food day so that we can spend more time together!

Blog
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
theStudio CT

We had the "traditional" menu but cut out most of the work this year as our time with guests was short just less than 48 hours so we had a winters meal on Christmas Eve when everyone arrived- shepherds pie with lots of veg and gravy and apple crumble and icecream. On Christmas Day the turkey was in fact two turkey breasts pre stuffed and only taking an hour and a half to cook with all the trimmings and cheesecake for pudding. It was so easy to do and still spend lots of time with everyone also much less washing up and NO left overs or only enough to make sandwiches for a late snack

having read the post a couple down realise being in the UK i should have siad the traditional menu as its looking to bevery different in other countries.
Our traditional is turkey and stuffing and bread sauce and cranberry sauce and sprouts(not bean sprouts- the green ones) and roasted parsnips pifs in blankets(sausaged with bacon wrapped round them) and then carrots and what ever other veg you want

Last edited by ceefl0wer; 01-03-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:12 AM
theStudio Owner

I wound up doing a tri tip roast... the beef tenderloins were all out over here (very expensive on the German economy) and I managed it perfectly! So delicious. I want one now LOL.

my email
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
theStudio Artist

Oh boy, I just seen this posting and sorry I didn't see it sooner but this might give you ideas for next year..
I do the traditional -- Turkey, Ham, Chicken & Noodles, Mashed potatoes, Sweet Potatoes with brown sugar and butter, Vegi tray and dip, relish tray, Cranberry Sauce Jelly, YEAST ROLLS , Anti-Pasta Salad, Cheeseball and crackers, lots of pies, cheesecakes, persimmon pudding, cookies and candies, 2 or 3 different types of fruit salads and YES we usually have tons of left overs that we enjoy for a week.. *LOL* Then for New Years Eve we make Bonyacaulda (Italian soup like dish) it's very yummy.. with all it's trimmings.. For the people in the friends and family that do not like FISH we do our best to have some kind of Chicken wings, or venison or Italian beef.. or all 3 *LOL* ;-)