Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Challenges > Archived Monthly Challenges 2011 > Recipe Card Challenge (through Jan. 2012)

Recipe Card Challenge (through Jan. 2012) Looking for some new recipes to add to your menu? Then join us in the monthly recipe card challenge hosted by Maurine of Let Me Scrapbook! All participants will receive all of the cards created that month. Recipe cards can be uploaded to Recipe Card Challenge Gallery.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 AM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: Your Ideas and Suggestions

What about low-calorie recipes?
I don't know about you, but I always put on weight when I'm on holiday... *sigh*
Old 04-06-2013, 03:39 PM
theStudio Artist

Talking Re: Your Ideas and Suggestions

Here is a spreadsheet I put together using all of the previous idea submissions and how many times they were repeated. I will email it to you Maurine so you can keep a working copy. Maybe you can start a new thread with this list and then edit it when a new idea is posted, or a theme has been done so you don't have to sort through all of the posts.
Hopefully this helps!
Debi

1 30 Minute Meal - Things I can make quickly, after a crazy day at work
2 Allergy free - gluten, dairy, nuts
1 Beans
1 Broccoli
3 Casseroles/One Dish Wonders
1 Cauliflower
1 Chili
2 Chocolate
1 Coffee or Tea
2 Crock-pot/Slow Cooker
3 Desserts/Cakes/Pies
2 Dinner Party
1 Dips
1 Drinks/Beverages
1 Emergency Tested - No electricity/preparedness stuff
5 Family Picnics/Outside Gatherings/Family Reunion/Large Quantity/Potluck Ideas
1 Finger Foods
4 Fish/Seafood/Chowder/Lobster, crab, and shrimp
1 Foods from labels - cans, boxes, advertisements
4 Foreign Foods - Asian/Chinese
3 Foreign Foods - Mexican
1 Freezer Meals
2 Homemade Pet Treats/Food
1 Hors D'oeuvres
3 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie/Diet/WW Points
2 Make-a-Mix/Quick Fixes from Mixes
2 Meat (chicken, beef, sausages etc., could be separate themes)
1 Microwave Recipes
1 No-Cook recipes
1 Potato Recipes
1 Recipes for two
1 Salads
1 Sandwiches
1 Secret Recipe
1 Semi Homemade
2 Side Dish (and what it goes best with--i.e. chicken, beef)
2 Smoothies, juices, cocoas, and ciders.
1 Snacks - Salty or Sweet!!!
3 Soups
1 Special Food, like recipes we brought home from a holiday abroad.
1 Strawberries/Berries
3 Super bowl/Tailgating/The Big Game (wings, dips, etc. )
3 Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Great ideas ladies! Here are some ideas too:

Gifts in a Jar- soups,cookies,breads,etc
Appetizers
Mexican
Chicken
Beverages
BBQ
Salads
Quick and Easy
Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 PM
theStudio Warhol

What is your neck of the woods known for? Texas for example could be Chicken Fired Steak smothered in white gravy, mash potatoes, fried okra and sweet tea. Or what is your favorite recipe? Grillin would be good for summer. Good Luck, I'm sure whatever you choose will be great.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM
theStudio Artist

How about "Good for you"/Nutritious?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 AM
theStudio Artist

This is a suggestion for the color of future kits.
I love the colors of this kit, perhaps you can pick colors from previous kits, and create the recipe challenge as a coordinating kit. Perhaps this would save you time because you wont have to design a whole new color palate & theme, AND it also allows us to have additional coordinating papers/elements if we want to make an extra purchase. This one would be perfect for picnic favorites or something like that.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Other ideas-

Copy Cat recipes
All Things Pumpkin-main ingredient pumpkin
International- German,Mexican,Indian,Irish,Italian,etc
Bath and Beauty
Quick and Easy
Healthy Eating
Pasta
Breads
Cookies
Chicken
Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM
theStudio Artist

I'd like to have whole sets of ethnic or regional foods: Tex-Mex, Italian, Chinese (or Asian), German, Southern, Midwestern, Yankee...
I also would be happy to see whole sets of one type of main ingredient: chicken, beef, seafood, summer vegetables, winter vegetables, rice, pasta,

I just like to eat, so everything sounds good to me!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
theStudio QC CT

Hi everyone: maybe we can try "copycat" recipes from our favorite restaurants. I think we have all tried to duplicate something we tasted elsewhere at one time or another.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 AM
theStudio Artist

What about "basic ingredients" recipes?

I live in Austria, and when I see ingredients like cake mixes, concentrates, special types of cookies or sausages or other pre-made stuff that totally baffles me because we have different products here and I have no idea how to replace those ingredients.

Wouldn't it be an interesting challenge to do recipes that only use basic ingredients that you can get in most countries?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
theStudio Warhol

Wondering... have you had a muffin month yet?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 PM
theStudio Artist

I'm not sure if these were already done or not but how about comfort food, soups/stews, healthy eating, or steamed dishes.

I'd like to see kits with elements like cooks utensils, aprons, chef hats, small appliances, e.g., mixer, food processor, etc.

Thank you for the challenges; this is probably one of the first I've done.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Chit Cat

An other idea would be one for company food. You know food you make when someone comes to visit. Could be really fancy, fun, easy, snacks or theme, like game day, birthday or anniversary. Everybody has something they like to fix for company.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:19 AM
theStudio Artist

I frequently cook my favorite restaurant or product knockoff recipes, and I'd love to have more of them! (My favorite is Applebee's Orange Chicken Bowl, which they no longer serve.) Olive Garden's pasta fagioli is ultra simple and easy, and a budget saver. We save BIG on knockoff recipes because I make the products at home for a fraction of the cost of commercial products or restaurant meals. I'm looking for one to rival Heinz Horseradish sauce right now. My husband went through an entire bottle of it in one week! Anyone have one? Or a horseradish root they'd be willing to share?

We older folks have to watch the salt (sodium chloride) and cholesterol, (and you younger ones will in your future) so cheesy things and those high in cholesterol are no-no recipes for us. We love a lot of foreign foods; Mexican, Asian (no raw fish, please), Thai, Caribbean, Dutch, German, and willing to try others. Every single one of my neighbors except one has a diabetic in the house, so recipes for sweets made with Splenda or Sweet and Low would be very, very welcome.

Crock pot recipes that are healthy (low sodium, no cheese, please) are in my future as I will probably have hand reconstruction surgery in a few months which takes a full year to completely restore function from, and my husband can't cook! HELP, PLEASE! I just started using my slow cooker a year ago!

Recipes for using dehydrated foods! I have been dehydrating things for 9 months and storing them in vacuum sealed jars, and I'd love more recipes than I have for these things. I have a recipe for the best refried beans you'll ever eat using cooked, then dehydrated pinto beans! They cost a fraction of canned ones and taste so much better!

Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM
theStudio Monet

Barbara... most recipes you can cut back the salt or eliminate it. All my recipes have salt because we do not eat any store bought convenience food which is where so much of the sodium comes from. I actually got very ill from lack of salt. Back in the day I altered all recipes for less salt, but the healthier I get, the more I work, the more I sweat, the more I need salt. My Recipes contain C&H Brown Sugar because I have major health issues from eating anything that is not Real Cane Sugar or Real Fruit Juice. So as you see my special diet consists of Real From Scratch Whole Food.
Just writing this so you know why my recipes are what they are.
Hmmm as far as Horseradish goes, you got me curious. I used to make some that my Grandpa Poppi would talk me out of the entire stash every Fall he came to visit. Dang now that will be on my mind until I find it. ha ha ha :0)
Super Good Restaurant Food knock off sounds like a good thing. Where would some one find these kinds of recipes to share?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM
theStudio Artist

Oh, Amberpony, I do cut salt out of everything, but never flavor. I am also a cook from scratch kind of cook. I even bake all our bread so I can control the sodium and other ingredients. I should own Penzeys Spices for what I have invested in their spices and the herbs that take the place of sodium-heavy foods. The problem is recipes that call for lots and lots of cheese or other high sodium ingredients. It isn't table salt that's the problem; it's foods that contain so much sodium and recipes that depend on it. Betty Crocker's site is one good example. They must exist just to sell cheese. I even make my own "Bisquick" so I can cut the salt. There are several sites that only have recipes that are restaurant knockoffs. Most are pretty close, but you have to try them to know. Just Google the category and you'll find lots. I'm compiling a list now of freezer meals for the slow cooker, and I will shop for those ingredients soon, then assemble and freeze. I need to tuck away lots of those so my hubby can cook them for us post-op. I can eat most anything but he cannot. I have to go low sodium and sugar free for him.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:19 AM
theStudio Monet

To get back on track with this thread. How about Pork Recipes. We like to use pork recipes for other meats we raise. Beef recipes would be good also. My man is a Real Meat and Potato kind of guy.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I would love to have some recipes for non-chocolate based candies. The only one I know of is divinity. But there must be others?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:44 AM
theStudio Artist

I know not everyone cans but I would love to have canning recipes and meals made from pressure canner and crockpot meals (not using a lot of preprocessed foods to make either but easy).
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
theStudio Artist

What about dips and breadspreads?