Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > Archived Events > 4-Year Anniversary Celebrations > Lay-Out Artist Contest

Lay-Out Artist Contest become a Studio CT! 4-weeks of freebies & layout fun. 4-weeks of contest & prizes. Plus 1 Grand Prize winner of a Silhouette Portrait. Details inside!

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Re: LOA Contest Week 3:

Heres is my entry for week 3....what a fabulous challenge.

DSS LOA Contest wk 3 True Love QP provided by Mah Designs and SKrapper Digitals.
https://www.digitalscrapbookingstudi...d7d59f18addf76
This QP caught my eye because of the light shining through the trees. I remembered this picture of my daughter from an early morning walk we went on last summer.

First I duplicated my photo. Then turned off the layer of my top photo.
On the bottom photo I used the hue/saturation to add a sepia like tone, moving the hue bar till I got rid of the bright green.
This also changed the color of my daughter's clothes and skin so this is where I used the duplicated photo. I turned the top photo back on, added a mask and then proceeded to erase this top photo most everywhere, except over my daughter, to expose the bottom photo.
I then used the dodge tool to lighten her hoodie and legs, and the top left corner where the sky is brighter. I used the burn tool to darken the path in front of her.

and here is my original picture

Last edited by 6grand; 04-17-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: changed dodge to burn
Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 PM
theStudio CT

I used a technique that I found a few weeks ago, but it was not this exact tutorial, however, it is very close and I reviewed the Brighten & Pop Tutorial to learn even more. I duplicated my original layer and changed the blend mode to Screen. I had to duplicate the Screened layer 2 more times until I was able to achieve the look I wanted and then I applied the Layer Style - Black & White Burnt Edges by Snickerdoodle Designs to the photo. When I placed the photo on my layout I enlarged the photo so it was just my daughter & baby belly. I added the heart embellishment that was a freebie in Quickpage packet. I also added the Wordart & the first layer I made it an overlay and then duplicated it until it blended in to the page colors. I believe there were 3 duplicates of each of the words in order to achieve this effect.

My original photo taken during a self-portrait maternity session I did a couple weeks back - all the photos came out really dark, so I had to do quite a bit of photo editing to them:

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 AM
theStudio Warhol

For the small photo, I used Kim's Brighten & Pop tutorial along with adjusting the layers and playing with the Hue and Saturation until I got a more natural feel to the photo. On the large photo, I used Kim's screen technique again, used the smart brush to change the photo to sepia, and sharpened it a bit more with a High Pass filter layer set to overlay mode. I also reduced the opacity to 55% and used a soft brush at 24% opacity to erase and smooth out the edges of the large photo.

The two original photos:

Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 AM
theStudio Owner

I'm really loving the before & afters and how you got there. This has been, for me, the most interesting challenge to watch. It's amazing the difference & how good all the layouts look!

my email
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 AM
theStudio CT

I agree, Toiny. And I am learning a lot of new tricks by reading everything that has been done to the photos!!! Hummmm--I think we need to make a monthly challenge out of this!!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM
theStudio CT

Here is my layout using Manu's great qp from the April Mega kit:

I am a fan of photo actions, but for these photos, I found a quick way to 'pop' them. I started by simply increasing the saturation of the photos, then I increased the brightness and contrast. The final step was to use the unsharp filter and really increase the percentage. I used 200% on each of these photos. A definite number can't be listed, it is more, 'salt to taste' type technique.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM
theStudio Artist

ok this is my first attempt at a challenge here, I hope I am doing this right.
Credits to Artistic Heritage Collection ~ Seaside

And for my enhancement, I simply reduced the saturation of both pictures so that they blended into the background better.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
theStudio Designer

Great adjustments on the photos, all! Love the before / after - what difference!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM
theStudio CT

Here is my entry I used the True Love QPs by MAH Designs and Skrapper Digitals

here is my before and after photo

and here is what I did
First thing I did was layer/stack, both of the qps . I then chose a photo of my daughter Cass, and dupicated the layer.On the top layer I used guassian blur at 24.2 pixels then I used a soft brush eraser at 20% ,applied to the face and body of blured layer.On first photo layer I applied brightness at -16 and contrast at +93. I then added a Texture layer of lilac color, (textures by JustJaimee_old paper 7. I chose to overlay this layer and then used soft brush at 20% to erase around my daughters face and body, Then I merged all layers. I did this in pse 6. I also added elements from The Urban Fairy's kit, Butterfly Kisses.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy Re: LOA Contest Week 3:

I picked up new tricks too! This would be a very fun monthly challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
I agree, Toiny. And I am learning a lot of new tricks by reading everything that has been done to the photos!!! Hummmm--I think we need to make a monthly challenge out of this!!!!!

my email
Old 04-17-2013, 05:27 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Wow!! Are you guys sure you're not professionals??!! I am learning all kinds of neat little tricks here! I love it!! Keep 'em coming!!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM
theStudio Artist

Here is my attempt. I used True Love QP by MAH Designs and Skrapper Digitals. My before picture

After treatment:

Layout link:
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...n-n-dirty.html
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM
theStudio Artist

Here's my Week 3 Layout page.

Last edited by LMorris72399; 04-17-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: photo damaged, had to repair it
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 PM
theStudio Artist

I had so much fun with the first one, and couldn't decide between the two, that I just went ahead and put the second one here.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 PM
theStudio Warhol

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...estweek-3.html
Old 04-18-2013, 12:24 AM
theStudio Warhol

Fun challenge. For mine, I first modified the QP by adding to it from Nibbles Skribbles Happiness collection to make it my own. Then, I altered my photos as directed using the colorized action from Pioneer Woman.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 PM
theStudio Monet

here you go:

for each photo i took the original colour photo and converted it to black & white using a Gradient adjustment layer in PSE. Then i added a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer and increased the brightness while decreasing the contrast until i thought it looked right. next, i added Solid Color adjustment layer set to Color, sampling a soft white from the background. lastly, i merged the layers.

Families are forever because love never melts.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM
theStudio Monet

Noah Riley Vernon Adoption Day

Photo Treatments:
Bottom photo: Cropped photo then used Auto Sharpen and Auto Color Correction; I then used a Cooling Filter (80) and lowered the density

Top Photo: I used a Filter Gradient Map Black & White, then added a Sepia Photo Filter
Blended Photo; used a Crop Shape for blending the photo and feather setting of 63. I then lowered the opacity to blend into the background.

I merged the QP and photos, then layered them onto another background paper from the mini kit

[/CENTER]

Last edited by britnkaysmemaw2; 04-18-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 PM
the Studio Admin Team Member

What great pages! I'm really enjoying seeing the different techniques that have been used.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Here's my layout for week 3. I know I didn't do all the things some people did with their photo but here it is. I removed her zit in PSPx5, then I just cleaned the picture up in picmonkey. I am very happy with the results.

Here's the original photo.