Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > In Search Of (ISO)...

In Search Of (ISO)... for scrappers & designers alike! Are you looking for a certain something in a kit? A color? A theme? Maybe a CU item? Ask for it here.

Maybe you are looking for help on your CT? Or looking for a Designer needing a CT? Ask for it here. If you need it, here's the place to ask.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default element on element

I hope that I can explain what I’m searching for to help me, and designers for that matter, to enhance elements for digital scrapbooking.fficeffice" />
I am looking for a style, shadow, technique etc. that will prevent an element, when placing another element over it, looking flat or that the placed element looks like it is floating.
Eg. when placing a ‘bead’ over the centre of a flower I would like this ‘bead’ to look like it has been pushed into the flower and not just plonked on.
Is this possible to have this effect ? I have PSE7. I am unable to find a tutorial so I am putting this up here where I know someone will help.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Default Re: element on element

It is definitely possible! I understand perfectly what you mean, because it is a peeve of mine also! lol a button in the center should look "pushed in" slightly, not hovering over the flower, because that's how it would appear realistically....

Let me go play in my PSE so I'm giving you the correct instructions, I normally design in PS, so I want to make sure that the steps are the same

I may be able to create a dropshadow layer style for this effect, too! If I can, I will post it here for you guys to download
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM
theStudio CT

I also struggled with that and I played and played until I came up with this technique. Probably far from being right so I am excited that Kimberly is helping!!
I put the button on the flower. I then duplicate it. I add a shadow to the first button on the right side. Lower the opacity and make it a very narrow shadow. I then do the same for the second button only the shadow is on the left side, giving the appearance that the shadow is going all around the button.. I just feel that a raised button will reflect a very narrow shadow all around it. With the top layer button active, I hit the SIMPLE PILLOW EMBOSS BEVEL. This pushes the button down into the flower just a bit but you can still see just the slightest shadow. Tried to put photo here from Photobucket, but with all the computer problems I am having, I can't get photobucket to upload my photos.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
theStudio Picasso

thankyou thankyou thankyou
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM
theStudio CT

Your welcome, but I would still wait to see what Kimberly comes up with. My idea was touch and go. Kimberly is a lot more experienced with this stuff!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 PM
theStudio Designer

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

My trick is to use BOTH a drop shadow and an internal shadow. The thing often missing is the shadow created by the "petals" creating a shadow on the element in the center of the flower. Also, depending upon how flat the flower itself is, I may use an outer glow, but set it up like I would do a drop shadow (which I think is what you end up with using Nancy's method). For an internal glow, I use a dark color (same colors as the drop shadow), set it to linear burn and play around with it's size and opacity. Unfortunately, I don't have Elements to try this out in ... something I definitely need to change. I'll let you know if I can come up with a tutorial or style to help you out with this (and definitely compare notes with Kim).
Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 AM
theStudio Picasso

Thankyou Ladies, I appreciate your replies and help.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 AM
theStudio CT

Hummm---Linear Burn---never thought of that, Robyn!!! I LOVE these discussions!!! Always a chance to learn something new!!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
Hummm---Linear Burn---never thought of that, Robyn!!! I LOVE these discussions!!! Always a chance to learn something new!!
I tend to go back and forth between Multiply and Linear Burn. As I understand it, Multiply only adds the color to whatever is below it ... Linear Burn combines the colors but also can make things really dark. If I don't like how one looks, I try the other. When I doing a drop shadow, I almost always use Linear Burn because it looks more natural, but often use Multiply when I do an Outer Glow that I want to look like a shadow because it's easier to pick a color I want that "glow" to be (this is when I make a dark glow/shadow thingy). I've got an example below ... the first one is multiply and the second one is using linear burn -- it's a subtle difference.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM
theStudio Designer

Got the O.K. from Kim to post this ... may be because she's a bit delirious due to a nasty bug, but she said she would try to make some styles that would work in PSE.

I found out that I have a version of PSE9 and it won't do the internal shadow. I tried to see if I could use an internal glow, but it looked like it would only use a "screen" layer blend mode. However, I found out the following effects settings would pretty much do the same thing ...

Bring up your Layer "Style Settings" ...

Select a Glow -- Outer -- and enter the Size and Opacity that you
Then play with the Lighting Angle -- that probably does the same thing as the Inner Shadow settings in PSCS.

To see what was going on, I opened up the source file for one of my flower elements that had a "charm" in the center.

------------------------------
In PSCS, I had an Inner Shadow (black color) with:
Multiply blend at 75% Opacity
Angle: -125
Distance: 5 px
Choke: 0 px
Size: 24 px
... and an Outer Glow (dark blue color) with:
Linear Burn blend at 60% and 0% Noise
Spread: 0%
Size: 57 px
Range: 50%
-------------------------------

When I opened the same element in PSE9, the Style Settings palette had the following settings:
Lighting Angle: 164
Outer Glow (dark blue color)
Size: 57 px
Opacity: 60%

In all honesty, I don't see a lot of difference between the two flowers, so those settings I gave you for PSE9 should work provided the Layer Style Settings work in PSE7.

The reasoning behind the settings I choose were based on the fact that the center element needed to be set down into the petals ... that's why I used an Outer Glow. It gives a shadow all around the outside of the element. If I had used a Drop Shadow, even if I put the Distance at 0 px, the Shadow would still be slightly offset to whatever angle I had used. I used the Inner Shadow setting to provide even more illusion of the element be set down into the petals with the petals creating a shadow on to it.

Hope this helps ...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
theStudio CT

WOW, I really need to learn more about blending modes. This is great information!! Thanks so much!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Yay Jill! Thank you so much for posting that!

I have been down and out with a bad cold since Saturday, feeling much better today though! I'll work on getting the styles made up and instructions on how to load the styles, if that's needed I love team work!!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
Yay Jill! Thank you so much for posting that!

I have been down and out with a bad cold since Saturday, feeling much better today though! I'll work on getting the styles made up and instructions on how to load the styles, if that's needed I love team work!!
Great to hear you're feeling better ... maybe too much partying??? kidding ...
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
theStudio CT

Kimberly??? Party??? NEVER!! Why just look at that sweet, innocent avatar of hers!!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
theStudio Picasso

Again thankyou for helping - this really, really is a pet hate of mine
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
theStudio Monet

I like to use the Bevel and emboss and tick the down button. Learned to do this when I was using PSE6. Several years ago so can't just rattled it off any more. lol Playing with the bevel modes makes the center get pushed down inside.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
Kimberly??? Party??? NEVER!! Why just look at that sweet, innocent avatar of hers!!!!
I don't know Nancy ... it's usually those innocent looking ones that are the biggest party animals ... LOL!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thankyou Ladies - these replies have really helped
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 AM
theStudio Artist

Thanks for this thread and the replies. I'm still a newby to PSE and love finding all these tips and techniques.