Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Events > theStudio Birthday Bash 2013 > Photography Contest

Photography Contest join us September 2 -30 for four weeks; four winners; four challenges. One grand prize winner!

Sponsored by MCP Actions.
Photography Contest

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 AM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy Photography Contest Week 1

Welcome to our Photography Challenge!
sponsored by
MCP Actions.

I'm so excited to have this new, fantastic Photography Challenge join our annual Next Designer Contest & Layout Artist Contest. Please note: you can join all three.

Our Photography Challenge follows the same time frame as the NDC & LOA. All challenges will be posted 6:00 a.m. EST Monday and due by 23:59 EST per the scheduled dates:
- Round 1: Challenge begins Sept. 2nd, Due Sept 7th - Round 2: Challenge begins Sept. 9th, Due Sept 14th
- Round 3: Challenge begins Sept. 16th, Due Sept 21th
- Round 4: Challenge begins Sept 23rd, Due Sept 28th
- Grand Prize Winner announced Sept 30th
The Grand Prize Winner is determined by a random drawing off participants in all four weeks. You do not need to win, merely submit an entry each of the four weeks, to be eligible for the Grand Prize drawing on September 30. The Grand Prize Winner will receive the MCP Four Seasons™ Photoshop Actions (or elements version).

Week 1: Photography Challenge!
The winner this week receives Jodi Friedman's fantabulous MCP Summer Solstice™ Photoshop Actions (or elements version).

Your challenge is to shoot a Summer Bokeh photograph. Summer is full of light, light lends itself beautiful to the soft dreaminess that is bokeh. Your image can be with people, or without people. A landscape scene or a macro shot. It must be summer themed and it must have bokeh. Please include your camera settings and/or editing techniques in the description under your photo. Jodi has a great how-to tutorial on her site: Uncover Camera Settings + More in Photoshop, Elements, and Lightroom.

What is bokeh? Bokeh, also known as “Boke” is one of the most popular styles in photography. Bokeh makes photographs visually appealing, focusing our attention on a particular area of the image. The word comes from the Japanese language, which literally translates as “blur”.
  • The first photo challenge is open for photo submissions from Monday, September 2 - Friday, September 7 at 23:59 EST.
  • Photo must be on theme: “Summer Bokeh”.
  • You must have only ONE image in your submission. No collages.
  • One submission per member.
  • This must be your original photo.
  • This can be a recent photo or an older photo.
  • This cannot be a previous contest submission, whether on our site or any other site or place.
  • All submission must be posted in the Photography Contest 2013 gallery by September 7 at 23:59 EST.
  • Site affiliates (CT, Designer & Admin Team) cannot win prizes, however, they can participate.
  • One winner will win: MCP Summer Solstice™ Photoshop Actions (or elements version)
  • Winner will be announced Monday, September 9.
You can read more about Bokeh on Jodi's blog:

my email
Old 09-02-2013, 08:13 AM
theStudio CT

Default Re: Photography Contest Week 1

Ohhh, I LOVE Bokeh but its not one of my stronger photography points! Which is why I look forward to this challenge. Time to learn!!!! Off to read those articles!!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 AM
theStudio Designer

I'm with Nancy... a reading I shall go!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 AM
theStudio Designer

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

Definitely something I need to check out and be able to add to my "camera bag" ...
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 AM
theStudio CT

Well that photo Toiny took of the two girls hugging was AWESOME!!! And THAT was just by accident!! Toiny, could you possibly put that photo here in case anyone doesn't know what Bokeh is???? It helps to see a picture of what you are talking about.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 PM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy Re: Photography Contest Week 1

Awwwww you make me blush Nancy. I think that is the only time I've managed Bokeh in the foreground of a photo. By accident LOL.

I deliberately didn't post any photo's because there is such a wide range of Bokeh possibilities. Mine are all people-oriented, usually with just the blurred background, but that is far from the only Bokeh style out there. Some people can do amazing things with light. I wanted to keep it open to all possibilities and truly see your creative take on this challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
Well that photo Toiny took of the two girls hugging was AWESOME!!! And THAT was just by accident!! Toiny, could you possibly put that photo here in case anyone doesn't know what Bokeh is???? It helps to see a picture of what you are talking about.

my email
Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 PM
theStudio CT

Yeah, you have a point there. There are so many different ways to do Bokeh. It will be fun exploring!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 PM
theStudio Designer

What a cool challenge... my camera is in the shop! I will try to be sure I get it by the end of the week!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
theStudio Designer

Okay.. my camera shop won't have my camera ready for a while, so I dug into my photo archives because I remembered this photo...

It's not the best..I was standing on a rickity 6-wood wooden ladder, holding branches out of the way with one hand, and shooting with the other.... but I am posting it because I did use the Summer Solstice Action on this (love Jodi's actions!)

The first photo is SOTC (straight out of the camera). I cropped it and did some selective sharpening prior to running Jodi's action on it (the one that is the giveaway this week).

I used Summer Solstice, with the chosen options of: Pop Star, Make Some Noise, In the Spotlight, Stealing the floor, and Bright and Loud.

At 72 dpi it looks a tad oversharpened to me (my fault), but in print, it looks nice.

Last edited by SnickerdoodleDesigns; 09-02-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM
theStudio Owner

We are going to have a gorgeous, hot, September sun all week. I'm hoping to magically find some time to play with my camera too.

my email
Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy Re: Photography Contest Week 1

Oooo Karen! That is such a cool photo. I love how the action makes the background seem to sparkle. I haven't managed that in any of my photo's yet.

It's just beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickerdoodleDesigns View Post
Okay.. my camera shop won't have my camera ready for a while, so I dug into my photo archives because I remembered this photo...

It's not the best..I was standing on a rickity 6-wood wooden ladder, holding branches out of the way with one hand, and shooting with the other.... but I am posting it because I did use the Summer Solstice Action on this (love Jodi's actions!)

The first photo is SOTC (straight out of the camera). I cropped it prior to running Jodi's action on it (the one that is the giveaway this week).

I used Summer Solstice, with the chosen options of: Pop Star, Make Some Noise, In the Spotlight, Stealing the floor, and Bright and Loud.

At 72 dpi it looks a tad oversharpened to me, but in print, it looks nice.

my email
Old 09-02-2013, 02:17 PM
theStudio CT

I love Bokah! Will have to get my camera out this week...I have a photo I took recently of a flower but not sure I want to use it or not. See if I can get anything better.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM
theStudio CT

Love it Karen

Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM
theStudio CT

Are we allowed to use Bokeh overlays or places that give your photos a Bokeh look?

Click to visit my blog:
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 PM
theStudio CT

Here's mine - hope I did this right :-)

Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM
theStudio CT

I love photography, and I am so thrilled that Jodi is hosting this ... so I am participating even though I can't win a prize. So far, the information on her site is prize enough! Big thanks to her!

So, here's my summer bokeh submission:

Blog
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
theStudio Monet

Wow that is brilliant...wouls make an awesome embellishment for a kit!! perfect to extract

Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 PM
theStudio CT

Boy, the more I read about Bokeh the more confused I am getting! I have gone to on line tutorials and some of them are showing just a sharp image in the foreground and a blurred background---no circles or anything, just blurred and they are calling it Bokeh. Others are showing night scenes with cars and streetlights with that halo glow around them and calling that Bokeh. If that's the case, I have scads of those photos from a class I took on night photography---but I don't consider glowing halo street lights as Bokeh. Karen's photo with all the little circles in the background is what I call Bokeh.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM
theStudio CT

I played around with this all afternoon, what fun. I came up with two pictures, I'm CT so can't compete so figured I'd show you both of what I did.

This one I made a mask so that I could use gausian blur in pse to blur the background even more than it was, then I used Pioneer Woman's Sharpen action to sharpen the girl image in the picture. Then I went to Funny.Phot.to and added a Bokeh effect that they have.

In this one I just used Pioneer Woman's sharp action to sharpen the face and flowers a bit, then I used the same boken effect to enhance the photo.

Click to visit my blog:
Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 PM
theStudio CT

Oh my gosh, is this a hoot or what!!! I've been exploring Bokeh articles all afternoon and found this VERY simple and easy tutorial on how to create Bokeh in PSE using only your brush tool!!! How neat!!!
Of course, I STILL want to get a real photo with bokeh in it but just couldn't do it today and now we are suppose to have rain tomorrow.

Closed Thread