Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default Photo Shop Elements??

I use PSP but it seems like mostly everything is for Photoshop..so to start out what version should I get?? Is 11 the newest?? Should I start with it or get a older version?? And anyone know of any tutorials to get me started?? I have no idea how to do anything at all in Photoshop....And what is the difference between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements??

Last edited by nanasdinky; 09-02-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 AM
theStudio CT

Default Re: Photo Shop Elements??

OK, I'll give some quick replies but I know there are those out there a lot more educated then I. When I started PSE, I started with the latest version which at the time was PSE 8. You should start with PSE 11. If you're going to learn, you may as well learn with the latest and get all the updated benefits.
Photoshop, to me, is more for the professional (please, designers, correct me if I'm wrong). Its much more advanced and I believe this is what the designers use. Since I don't design, I never saw a need for it---also carries a hefty price tag!!! Photoshop Element is more for everyday use. I just like to digi scrap and make layouts so PSE was enough for me.
I hope others will step in and expand on this.
As for lessons, I learned on a site that does nothing but teach PSE. Not sure if I'm allowed to state the name of the site where I learned, but I would just google Photoshop Elements lessons. I also purchased the Dummies book for PSE 8 and found that really helpful---but its a LOT of reading!!!
And ask away here as these gal are so friendly and helpful. This is a great place to be!!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 AM
theStudio CT

I think currently Photoshop Elements is the only product available for purchase. Photoshop has been incorporated into Adobe's subscription program which requires a monthly payment. I have not found it available for outright purchase in recent months. When I started I did use Photoshop Elements exclusively and found it met most of my needs. However once I ventured into actions, the version that I was using did not support much at all in the way of actions. And with some of the newer features of CS5, I eventually moved exclusively to that. BUT, with the subscription program, I likely will not upgrade again.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 AM
theStudio Warhol

Thanks Ladies..I just want to scrap...I have no real interest in designing except to make something for myself basically
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 AM
theStudio Warhol

I also started with PSP then switched to PSE7 which I got free with *something* (I forget what). I was able to apply my knowledge of using layers, etc. to PSE7 without too much trouble at all and I bet you'll do the same.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 PM
theStudio Warhol

I hope so.....but now Im worried because I know I will be wanting to buy all kinds of different things now...Ive ALWAYS wanted to do text on a path and havent been able to in PSP! lol gonna have to get a 2nd job to get all these new goodies !
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM
theStudio Rembrandt

PSP does let you do text on a path. There are several ways to do it. Now depending on the version you have it may differ a little, but the basics are the same. Here are a couple of ways. If you want to put the text around an element or photo: Use the ellipse tool or the preset shape tool to use other shapes. Hold the mouse down and drag until you get the ellipse or shape you want. I does not matter what color it is. Place it where you want it and drag to the size you need. Now to add text, click on the Text Tool. Position your mouse over the spot on the ellipse where you want your text to start and hover your mouse there until your cursor shows the Text Tool with a "smile" under it. You may have to wiggle it a little until it changes. Type your text. Use any font or size. It will follow the shape. Now go to the layers pallet and the vector layer with the ellipse and text showing. Click the plus sign on that layer. It will divide the layer into text and ellipse. Click on the eye by the ellipse. It will hide it and leave the text. To move or enlarge it, turn the ellipse on and move or enlarge that then hide it again. An other way to do this is with the freehand tool. Works the same way so follow the same steps. Text will follow what you draw. Play with it a bit. Have fun with it. Play with the warp text or kerning to see what you can do to change it. If you need more help with it try the help button or the learning center at Corel. Or send me a PM, I will help if I can. Another great help is a book called "Picture yourself learning Paint Shop Pro"
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM
theStudio Warhol

I started with PSE10 then up-graded to PSE11 and have not been sorry. Loading styles and brushes with 11 is so much easier. I don't do designing so PSE is great for my needs. I did invest in "The Missing Manuel" for 10 and will be getting the one for PSE11 soon. It is a great reference book in addition to helping you get started. Good luck on whatever program you decide to get.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM
theStudio Warhol

Jimmyrose - you did a great job explaining text on a path in PSP. I knew how to do it but not how to explain it!