Go Back   theStudio > Welcome to theStudio! > theStudio Happenings

theStudio Happenings Stop in to get the latest about what is new and hot at theStudio.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:26 PM
the Studio CT

Default Request for some non-Halloween/Fall challenges :)

This really isn't a complaint, and I know that most users on this site are from the US, but for those of use who are in the southern hemisphere, or who come from countries that don't celebrate Halloween, this months challenges are a bit limiting. I just thought I would mention it so that in future there could possibly be some consideration for us on the other half of the planet Please don't take this as a big criticism! I think the challenges are fantastic but would love one that had a wider theme for this time of year.

PS on Christmas day we swim and have a BBQ
Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: Request for some non-Halloween/Fall challenges :)

I wish we could swim on Christmas! But it's usually around 0*F here!

I have a non-halloween challenge on my Facebook Page (with a chance to win a $5 coupon)! Head on over if you're looking for something!

Thanks for looking! Find more Nibbles Skribbles:

Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 PM
theStudio Designer

Foxinsocks, I noticed you had mentioned in the Less is More Challenge that it is Spring there and you would dig up some old photos. I did mention in my intro that it was Fall for the northern hemisphere and Spring for the southern. For the most part, I do try to keep that in mind when creating minis for my challenge. I think the majority of members are in the northern hemisphere. We do have a lot of members from Australia, South Africa - and a lot of places where it's hot all year-round, so it is really hard to appeal to everyone at the same time.

I did mention too that next month, I was going to try and do something a little more generic - keeping that exact thought of yours in mind.

And isn't it so funny you mention Christmas time there, you're in shorts and sandals! It's so hard for some of us to imagine that when it's cold here at Christmas time. I'd LOVE to experience that one Christmas! That's what makes the world g-round though right?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 AM
the Studio CT

Thanks ladies. It really wasn't meant as a criticism... just a comment that by an large the challenges on here are VERY seasonal and based on specific holidays. We are in the minority
Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM
theStudio Designer

You SWIM on Christmas??!!! *heavy sigh* I know so little about this other part of the world. Shame Dani Shame. Thats going to mess with me all day lol!!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM
theStudio Monet

Some Christians don't celebrate Halloween because of the original origin and what the ghost and goblins represent. Soooo in those terms it would be nice if the Fall theme was more evident in the challenges. Just Asking Nice here.....
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Chit Cat

The first year I was in Dallas, I was so surprised by the activities on Christmas day. I had just met this really great guy (later to become my husband) and he asked me to spent Christmas day with him. We had dinner at his parents house and then went golfing. Golfing!!??! I cried all day. I was from Chicago and golf on Christmas was unheard of. Kind of used to the weather now. I don't think I could handle a Chicago Christmas now.

I also understand about the Halloween thing. My children are grown and gone. We live way out in the country and there just are no little ones here. So Halloween is really not a big thing any more. But, I do love to play along with the challenges.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Chit Cat

I just went back to check out the challenges again and found that a lot of them do not have to be Halloween. The Color Challenge has a completely different theme and different colors. The White Space is more of a harvest theme. The Variety is a siggy and the Border challenge is for any theme at all. So even without small children or Halloween events, I still have lots to choose from. thanks everyone.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM
theStudio Designer

We aim to please JimmyRose - as best as we can!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:34 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxinsocks View Post
Thanks ladies. It really wasn't meant as a criticism... just a comment that by an large the challenges on here are VERY seasonal and based on specific holidays. We are in the minority

I think you just wanted to let us know you can swim at Christmas lol .... I'm usually digging my way through several inches of snow even to get to a heated pool .... I don't think your complaining, you just want to play along with everybody else
Old 10-03-2013, 01:20 PM
the Studio CT

Yes am not really complaining just bummed that... oh DARN... another Halloween challenge and I have no pics! ha ha Maybe I will have to dress my kids up and tell the neighbours they better be ready!!

Yes, there are lots of other challenges I can still join in on

My kids saw snow for the first time the other day (so at least I will have some pics to scrap when the winter/snowy Christmas challenges happen he he). We drove 2 hours up into the mountains and they played in a tiny bit of snow that melted about 2 hours later.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM
theStudio Monet

It is very hard to do snowy winter themes for me too. I make templates and QP's and try to put a picture in to advertise them...and it's darn difficult....at best we wear a coat here, barely a beanie or mittens.....however beach themes are easy! Makes it harder when you don't have kids either, you cant pull them aside and say pose for me for a scrapbook page lol

Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 PM
the Studio Admin Team Member

I'm in Australia and I offer something different each month in the Variety Challenge, and it's not usually tied into seasons and where you live on the planet. This month I'm hosting how to create a forum signature.

Yes, Christmas is hot for us too..............swimming, barbecues etc.!!

Last edited by Robyn; 10-04-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 AM
theStudio Designer

I will never get over that......I so need to go visit...
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
theStudio Picasso

When we moved to Florida that first Winter/Christmas was SO hard for me. I never did become a truly Floridian and was very glad when we moved back north after 6 years. Here's a concept ... my kids (2 of them at the time) had never seen MUD.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM
theStudio CT

Know what you mean, GranieEv. My first Christmas after we moved from New York to Florida, I cried most of the day. Hated the sunshine and 80 degree weather and seeing fake Santas sitting in palm trees! I wanted SNOW!! That is why I am so thrilled to finally be back in Michigan after 3 1/2 years in South Carolina. I can't wait to see the first snow fall this year. I wish I were in the Dakotas right now!!! They really got hit!! But I'll wait my turn!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 AM
theStudio Picasso

I hope you get your wish, Nancy. I like snow but not enough to want to be in the Dakotas!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 AM
the Studio CT

I LOVE snow, but love our sunny climate more But I do agree that Christmas with snow is just magical. I was in NYC one year around Christmas and it was gorgeous. And I spent a winter at a ski lodge in Vermont which was stunning.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 AM
theStudio Scribbler

I´ve never seen snow - some say it´s great, but others who I´ve spoke with said it´s not that good... We also BBQ on christmas here... And there are some people to go to seaside cities and spend the New Year´s turning at the beach... they say that if you hop through seven waves in the first minutes of the year you´ll have good luck. I´ve done it only once or twice when I was a child, however. I use to go to a festival on the japanese colony on the Dec 31st morning and then head to my house,or my parent´s or some friend´s to celebrate... But is almost always a hot day with a summer shower in the afternoon...
Old 10-05-2013, 08:53 AM
theStudio Artist

Snow is great but only when you can watch it falling from indoors, the children love it of course though :-) so now I am getting a bit long in the tooth I would love to be able to spend Christmas at the beach lol