Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > Household & Family Tips n Tricks

Household & Family Tips n Tricks What's going on in your life? Got some tips and tricks that you have learned along the way that make life run a little smoother? Are you looking for tips and tricks to help you along the way? Post those tips and tricks here or request help with a burning issue in your life.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:34 AM
the Studio CT

Default FRUIT FLY ISSUES??

Every once in awhile I get plagued by fruit flies--UUUGGHHHHHH! BUT, I found the best inexpensive way to get rid of them. Take a small jar (I use a 1/2 pint canning jar) and put about 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar in it. Then put a couple of drops of dishwashing soap in. The flies are attracted to the smell of the apples and when they hit the surface, the soap somehow helps suck them under. AWESOME!!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:42 PM
theStudio Warhol

Default Re: FRUIT FLY ISSUES??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern53 View Post
Every once in awhile I get plagued by fruit flies--UUUGGHHHHHH! BUT, I found the best inexpensive way to get rid of them. Take a small jar (I use a 1/2 pint canning jar) and put about 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar in it. Then put a couple of drops of dishwashing soap in. The flies are attracted to the smell of the apples and when they hit the surface, the soap somehow helps suck them under. AWESOME!!
Great tip! We get them in the Fall. Ugh! They are endless.
Thank you!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 AM
theStudio Picasso

Fruit fly eggs are on your fruit ... wash them with water and vinegar when you get them home .... the plastic bags are like incubators ...I find bananas in plastic bags are the worst ... washing them down in the vinegar mixture also kills any dirt and bacteria on the fruit ... if you think they are clean try a damp paper towel on a watermelon ... ewwwe !!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM
theStudio Artist

Thanks for the tip!
We get them in summer and they are a real nuisance.
Last year we tried putting up a saucer with vinegar but we didn't know about the soap. In the end all the kitchen smelled of vinegar and the fruit flies were thriving LOL
I'll try it again, WITH soap
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 PM
theStudio Warhol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCanDo View Post
Fruit fly eggs are on your fruit ... wash them with water and vinegar when you get them home .... the plastic bags are like incubators ...I find bananas in plastic bags are the worst ... washing them down in the vinegar mixture also kills any dirt and bacteria on the fruit ... if you think they are clean try a damp paper towel on a watermelon ... ewwwe !!
I do wash my fruit. Even melons but I didn't know about the vinegar. Thanks Sue!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 AM
theStudio Picasso

It does work; I also wash my veggies and fruit now but I put 2 drops of Dawn in the solution in the sink - these days, with the frequency of e. coli showing up ... the antibacterial properties in the dishwashing soap can't hurt!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 AM
theStudio Picasso

I even do my greens ... I dump them into a basin with vinegar and water and let them soak for abut 10 minutes then rinse and drain them and dry them in a couple of tea towels ... they keep longer this way too
Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Chit Cat

Don't have a problem with fruit flies, but since we moved out here to the East TX country side, the problem is BIG,HUGE red wasps. They nest under our deck and have been a real honest pain. I mean that literally. Last year I got it three times, my husband twice. Poor Tigger got it on the face once and Blue on the foot. My dog even got stung on his tail. My husband goes under the deck a couple times a month to spray them, but keep coming back. They are here already. It's an invasion!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 AM
the Studio CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCanDo View Post
I even do my greens ... I dump them into a basin with vinegar and water and let them soak for abut 10 minutes then rinse and drain them and dry them in a couple of tea towels ... they keep longer this way too
Oooo, this is a good idea. There is only one of me and greens just don't seem to keep long. Maybe this will help--thanks!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:39 AM
theStudio Designer

Apple cider is amazing. Seriously. Thanks for the tip on keeping veggies longer!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 AM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrose View Post
Don't have a problem with fruit flies, but since we moved out here to the East TX country side, the problem is BIG,HUGE red wasps. They nest under our deck and have been a real honest pain. I mean that literally. Last year I got it three times, my husband twice. Poor Tigger got it on the face once and Blue on the foot. My dog even got stung on his tail. My husband goes under the deck a couple times a month to spray them, but keep coming back. They are here already. It's an invasion!
Be very careful, getting stung more than once can build up a protein allergy against insect stings ... any swelling at all take an antihistamine ... not something with cold medicine in it .... I'd keep some around just in case ... we had that issue with paper wasps here in Ottawa and had the nests under the porches and on the lights etc ... they don't like the movement if you go over their nests ... we used to check them at least twice a week ... we've moved now so it's not an issue
Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 PM
theStudio Monet

Thank you so much for the tip Kern53!!
I don't know why it never occurred to me to wash the fruit when I get home!
Thank you!!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 PM
theStudio Monet

JimmyRose, be sure to "rotate" your pesticide. You would not want those pesky stingers to develop a resistance to whatever it is you are using!!
Your local university extension office might be able to offer you some help on how to combat those pests!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM
theStudio Monet

How far off the ground is your deck? I wonder if chickens would eat them if they could get to them...??? But how would you get the chickens... Never heard of chickens for rent... LOL (I know, this is serious!!! Sorry for making light of it!!!)