Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: WARNING -- Using this action is addicting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilbert View Post
ROTF!!! I saw that you bought the kit and it hasn't even be "officially" advertized yet ... LOVE the flower!!! It kind of reminds me of a clowns collar ... which I love btw ...
Its funny that you say it reminds you of a clowns collar -- the papers (and flower) are part of a kit I'm making in a design class for another forum. The name/theme of my kit is "My Happy Place" -- so I guess "clown collar" fits LOL! Last week was the papers -- then first thing I did after my papers was complete was to make that flower! (That was the day I saw the flower set -- don't know when it was officially released but I check the CU store every couple days for new products).

So this week is elements... I need to produce 30-60 original elements by tomorrow night... have been sick last couple days.. so all I have so far is... that one flower....
Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Location: Livermore, California -- home of the famous light bulb

Very cool!!! I can't wait to see your final product!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash Empress View Post
Its funny that you say it reminds you of a clowns collar -- the papers (and flower) are part of a kit I'm making in a design class for another forum. The name/theme of my kit is "My Happy Place" -- so I guess "clown collar" fits LOL! Last week was the papers -- then first thing I did after my papers was complete was to make that flower! (That was the day I saw the flower set -- don't know when it was officially released but I check the CU store every couple days for new products).

So this week is elements... I need to produce 30-60 original elements by tomorrow night... have been sick last couple days.. so all I have so far is... that one flower....
Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Love your new fabric flowers!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:19 PM

WOW!!! That's cool!!! The ribbon is even a richer color in person ... but that's silk for you.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelR View Post
Love your new fabric flowers!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 PM
theStudio Artist

I'm looking at this & thinking I really need to get these flowers... then I remember -- I DID get these flowers LOL! My stash is well organized -- my memory not so much!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Is there anything of mine you don't own ... LOL!!!

Just curious (and anyone can join in) how do you organize your stash? I have a folder I call CU_tools that currently has 177 folders in it and this does NOT include any of my own stuff. That's in a completely different folder so I can keep track of what I'm able to re-purpose for more CU stuff (as in CU4CU).

I thought I would use Adobe Bridge ... but I just can't bring myself to like Bridge. It's SO slow. I thought I might want to try to use Adobe Lightroom to organize things, but it doesn't handle vectors (I've got a million of these).

Quote:
I'm looking at this & thinking I really need to get these flowers... then I remember -- I DID get these flowers LOL! My stash is well organized -- my memory not so much!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Is there anything of mine you don't own ... LOL!!!

Just curious (and anyone can join in) how do you organize your stash? I have a folder I call CU_tools that currently has 177 folders in it and this does NOT include any of my own stuff. That's in a completely different folder so I can keep track of what I'm able to re-purpose for more CU stuff (as in CU4CU).

I thought I would use Adobe Bridge ... but I just can't bring myself to like Bridge. It's SO slow. I thought I might want to try to use Adobe Lightroom to organize things, but it doesn't handle vectors (I've got a million of these).
Actually -- there's probably not a lot of your stuff I don't own LOL!

Well.. you did ask...

First of all, when I download digiscrap stuff, I immediately unzip (in case there's a problem with a zip, I'd like to know right away, instead of waiting & finding that the file I need is no longer available). I go through the unzipped folder, remove things I don't need (piracy warnings, TOUs in foreign languages, links to stores, etc.,), I make sure the preview is named "folder" (or I rename it) so I can see at a glance what's what (I'm using Windows 7) and I make sure the folder is properly named -- most designers now follow a certain format, eg. SED_MyHappyPlace but there are some now & again that don't -- so if I have a folder that says Cluster MHP by Stash Empress, I'd rename that SED_MyHappyPlace_cl. I put all these newly downloaded files in a folder on my desktop labeled Digitemp with current date.

Then usually once a day or two, I copy from the Digitemp folder on to my EHDs (I keep copies of everything on each of 2 external hard drives... to be safe).

If its a kit/CU/whatever that I've purchased (eg. paid good money for LOL) then I copy it to a folder on one of the drives called Purchased with this months date (eg. Purchased 7.2014) -- and then into a folder on each EHD called "Digi" -- which has folders for all categories -- and also one folder called Purchased. So the purchased items go into the "Purchased" folder inside "Digi" -- and then if they belong in one or more categories -- I place shortcuts in the other folders -- I used to copy them into the other folders, but my EHDs were getting seriously full -- and I remembered my secretarial days & my cross reference file cards that the boss & manager always laughed about -- but sure helped when they were looking for something! So now I have shortcuts in the other folders to the original in the Purchased file.

So for example - Jill's lovely flowers are in folder on my "M" drive called "Purchased 7.2014" -- then they are also inside the "Purchased" file which is in the "Digi" file both on the "J" and "M" drives -- and then in the CU files (on both EHDs) are shortcuts to the folder in Purchased folder.

(Note that every month - or when they reach 4.2GB -- the Purchased M.YYYY folder gets burned to DVD for backup)

Items which are not purchased go into a temporary file on the desktop marked Digi *** (current one is Digi 314)(and when they reach 4.2GB, they get burned to DVD) & at same time to Digi *** folder on both EHDs -- after they are full & backed up on DVD, then the items are moved out of that file into the category it belongs to -- and if it falls into more than one category -- it goes into one & then a shortcut into the others.

At some point they are deleted from my C drive (since its not all THAT big) & exist only on both EHDs which is where I go to when I want to use them.

And if you've followed THIS far -- and are remotely interested -- the categories on my EHD are: Alphas, Autumn, Baby, Bathtime, Beach/Seaside, Beauty/Hair/Nails/Spa, Bedtime, Bees/Bugs, Birthday, Black&White, Boys, Camping/Fishing/Nature, Characters, Chores, Circus/Carnival, CU (this includes all kinds of ready to use CU items or greyscale CU, but not templates), CU aco files, Disney, Doctor/Dentist/ToothFairy, Dogs/Cats/Birds/Frogs/Turtles, Dr. Seuss, Dressups, Emergency Services, Fonts, Food/Cooking, Frames & QPs (this is for all the cute loose freebies where I don't own the kit), Fruit/Veg/Farm, Games/Computer/Tech, Garden, Girls Only, Glitter Sheets (for those that only gave glitter sheets w/o the ASL file), House & Home, Holiday, Inspiration, Kids, Lego, Magic/Mystery/Detective, Misc. Elements (not a kit & not any other category), Misc. Papers (same), Monsters/Aliens/Robots/Space/Superheroes, Movie/Music, New Years/July4th, Overlays, Paper Stacks (again, not with a kit & not belonging to any other category), Parents/Grandparents, Photomasks, Picnic, Pirates, Princesses/Princes/Fairies, Printables, PSE Actions, PSE Brushes, PSE Custom Shapes, PSE Patterns, PSE Styles, Purchased, Rain, Recipe Cards, School/Reading/Art/Office, Scrapbooking (kits that don't belong in any other category), Scrapping/Photography, Sewing/Crafts, Sports, Spring, Summer, Tea Party, TeddyBears/Bunnies/Stuffies, Template Alpha, Template Calendar, Template Card, Template Cluster, Template Element, Template Hybrid, Template Misc., Template Page, Template Paper (all papermaking things -- textures, layered patterns, etc.), Template Photo Shape, Template Stacker, Toys, Transportation/Construction, Travel/Vacation, Vintage/Heritage/Steampunk, Wedding, Weight Loss, Winter, Word Art, Zoo/FarmAnimals.

I also have a few more folders for just certain designers (where I purchased their whole store at some point -- so it makes more sense to keep their stuff all together then to dump into the already overcrowded "Purchased" folder -- then I just put shortcuts from each item into folder of proper category -- CU or Templates, or whatever.

(Oh and my own "creations", such as they are -- freebies for color challenges, classes, etc. -- those are in completely separate area of my computer)

Whew -- ok, WAY MORE than you ever wanted to know!!!!!

Oh - and you should know -- on my desktop is a folder called "Jilbert Flowers" -- and it contains shortcuts to EVERYTHING related to Jilberts flowers -- actions, flower templates, lace flower overlays, everyone else's flower templates that I use with the action, etc.!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:02 AM
theStudio Monet

Hello!!!!

I can't believe this thread has gone for 17 pages lol

Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM
theStudio Picasso

Wow Stash Impress you are well organized! I don't break mine down that much. I have mine organized by store, then designer and keep my kits together. I put my CU items in a separate folder and break those down by category. I also keep the TOU with each CU kit and/or folder.

I am curious to know what organization software everyone is using for their photos and digital scrapbooking supplies???
Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM
theStudio Picasso

Rachel, the flower is beautiful!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSDiane View Post
Wow Stash Impress you are well organized! I don't break mine down that much. I have mine organized by store, then designer and keep my kits together. I put my CU items in a separate folder and break those down by category. I also keep the TOU with each CU kit and/or folder.

I am curious to know what organization software everyone is using for their photos and digital scrapbooking supplies???
I don't use any organization software -- only keep things VERY organized -- in Windows 7 -- my photographs are in folders labeled by date and sometimes event -- eg. yesterday's trip to the park is in a folder named 2014_07_28 park

This way I can find any photo by when it was taken (remember the dress you made for me 3 years ago for my recital?) or by searching words (park).

I purposely don't use any other software for 2 reasons - first of all -- if i change computer systems - or programs -- I won't be able to find anything anymore -- this happened when I used to keep track of my sewing stash in an organization software just for that -- I put a lot of time into inputting every item I currently owned (and you have to realize -- I got my "name" of Stash Empress from my sewing lists LOL) -- and carefully input each new purchase -- and then when I upgraded to Windows 7 -- and that program was no longer supported... shoot... where did all my stuff go????? So I went into my file of photos of fabric (the folder that the program referenced to find the pictures) and moved each one into new folders I created that were named for each location -- Stash Tub #1, Stash Tub #2, etc., Stash Armoire Shelf 1 Front, Stash Armoire Shelf 1 Back, etc. -- now its perfectly simple to browse through each of those folders when I'm looking for, say navy corduroy, & when I find the photo, I know which tub to pull out or which shelf to look at (I have A LOT of fabric - not like I can simply glance at one shelf to see what's there!)

And of course by now I forgot what the second reason was LOL-- but I know there was one & if I ever remember, I'll be back LOLOL!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootscrapper View Post
Hello!!!!

I can't believe this thread has gone for 17 pages lol
Maybe we should just rename "Jilbert Fan Club"????
Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 PM
theStudio Artist

By the way -- a thought on the flower action - it would be nice if there was a stop to prevent trimming the canvas down at the end -- cuz I'm doing a multi-layered flower template -- and after every layer, I have to resize the canvas back up to 12 x 12 before I can do the next layer.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 PM

I have learned SO much since I did this action and there has been SO much invaluable feedback. I'm sure with all the updates Adobe likes to do along with the o/s updates, I will get the chance to update this and add/fix a lot of stuff.

Quote:
By the way -- a thought on the flower action - it would be nice if there was a stop to prevent trimming the canvas down at the end -- cuz I'm doing a multi-layered flower template -- and after every layer, I have to resize the canvas back up to 12 x 12 before I can do the next layer.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 PM

Kaye ... I hadn't even LOOKED at how many pages ... I, too, am blown away that it's up to 17. Maybe I should ask Toiny for my own forum thread ... LOL!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:59 PM

BTW --- I wanted my so-called fan club to be the first to know that I've just released a new action. It's called Glitter Edge Action and it adds glitter to the edges of your elements but works especially well with those flowers you've created with my first action (hint, hint).

Check out the preview, then click on it to go to the product page ... and watch my blog (and here) for hints and tips for using this action along with my excuses for why I didn't do some things.

As a thank you for all you're support, here's a coupon for an extra 10% off this new action - xtra10GlitterEdges. Hopefully, I've set it up correctly, but let me know if you run into any problems using it.

Last edited by jilbert; 08-01-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
BTW --- I wanted my so-called fan club to be the first to know that I've just released a new action. It's called Glitter Edge Action and it adds glitter to the edges of your elements but works especially well with those flowers you've created with my first action (hint, hint).

Check out the preview, then click on it to go to the product page ... and watch my blog (and here) for hints and tips for using this action along with my excuses for why I didn't do some things.

As a thank you for all you're support, here's a coupon for an extra 10% off this new action. Hopefully, I've set it up correctly, but let me know if you run into any problems using it.
Will we see a new thread starting to discuss this new action? Or will it continue in this thread -- which should perhaps be renamed to: WARNING -- these actions are ALL addictive & Jill is our designated pusher!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 AM
theStudio Warhol

Wow, Jill - looks very KEWL. Who doesn't love glitter? Especially the kind that doesn't stay on your face for weeks! By the way, I don't see a coupon code - do you need special glitter glasses to see?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 AM

I swear, I put the code in there!!! I'm on my iPad, heading off to bed. I'll have to fix it in the morning since I don't actually know what my password is for the back end ... I let an app on my desktop remember for me.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM

I added the code to my post, but here it is again -- xtra10GlitterEdges. It's good for one use and for one week.