Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Challenges > July 2014 Challenges

July 2014 Challenges Here you will find all our monthly challenges for July 2014!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:04 PM
theStudio Designer

Default Recipe Card Challenge ~ July 2014

Recipe Card Challenge Gallery

Post your ideas and suggestions for future challenges here

Here are the instructions for this month's recipe card challenge/exchange:

1. Click HERE for this month's recipe card challenge kit. The majority of your card(s) must be made with this kit, although you can also use other CU items to enhance your cards (for example, brushes, actions, etc.). NOTE: A coupon code will be provided to those who used the prior month's kit to create and share at least one recipe card in the previous month’s challenge.

2. The general theme for this month's cards is recipes made by (or for) the men in our lives ~ the post below this one includes more information. Be creative and have fun designing your cards!

3. Create your recipe card(s) at 6" wide x 4" tall (1800 and 1200 pixels), 300 ppi resolution. These are the print-quality cards that will be shared with all participants. When finished, save as a jpeg file with quality between 8-10. Carefully proofread and make needed changes before finalizing.

4. You will also need to resize and save your card(s) at 72 ppi to post in the gallery.

WHEN FINISHED with your card(s), you must do the following 3 things:

1. E-mail your print-quality, 300 ppi recipe card to LetMeScrapbook@hotmail.com so it can be included in the download file at the end of the month. Do not share your print-quality card on your blogs or through any other means without my prior approval. Several participants have also asked for blank copies of the cards you design, so if you're willing to send me both (with and without the words), that would be great!

2. Upload a picture of your 72 ppi card to the Recipe Card Challenge Gallery. Please upload only your actual recipe card ~ not the blank cards. You may also post a copy of your 72 ppi (web version) on your blog if you’d like, and then include a link to the forum in case others are interested and want to participate.

3. Post a message here in this forum thread with a link to your gallery card no later than July 31.

At the end of the month, all participants will receive a link to download all the cards created that month. Bon appétit!!

NOTE: A checklist of instructions is included in the store kit for your convenience.

Last edited by Maurine Stettler; 07-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:05 PM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: Recipe Card Challenge ~ July 2014

I love doing our annual potluck theme, but since we do that in June, we miss out on “Father’s Day.” So although I’m now a month late, I thought it would be fun to focus on recipes with the general theme of “Man-Made” or “made for the men in your life.” Any category of food is fine – I focused on the grilling theme because that is my husband’s area of expertise. Feel free to share recipes that they like to make themselves or have made for them. If you need a specific tag for your recipe and don’t already have it from a previous kit, send me an e-mail and I’ll try to get one made for you.

I’ve added several new kits to my store that are part of theStudio’s coordinated “Summer Fun” collection; this month’s recipe card kit matches all of them. In addition to using this kit for your cards, you can also use any of my paper or element packs, including the colors not found in this starter kit. You may not use items from any of the other designers as I do not have their permission for this purpose. NOTE: If you’d like full-size versions of the papers and elements used in this recipe card kit, I have an add-on in my store that includes several of them.

June participants: I’ll send you an e-mail with a coupon code for this month’s kit no later than July 6. If you haven’t sent me your June cards, please do so as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SHARING YOUR CARDS:
As a general rule, I will share the print-quality version (300 ppi) of the cards you create for this challenge with the other participants; they are not to be given away/shared via a download link on your blogs or through any other means. Feel free to post a picture of the web version (72 ppi) of your card on your blog. If you want, you can also include a link to the forum so others can join in and participate. Please let me know if you have any questions about this explanation or my Terms Of Use (TOU) document.

Last edited by Maurine Stettler; 07-06-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 AM
theStudio Picasso

Oh, I LOVE the new kits! I'm hoping the new challenge coordinates with one of them.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:06 AM
theStudio Artist

Me too! It could be the grilling theme, or the ice cream one... or something else altogether LOL
Old 07-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Chit Cat

Love the kits too. Jut got them.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:15 PM
theStudio Designer

You ladies are so cute -- you always brighten my day!! : )

If you participated in June, you should have received the July coupon code. If you did not or have any problems using it, please let me know.

Last edited by Maurine Stettler; 07-06-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:12 PM
theStudio Artist

Cool Re: Recipe Card Challenge ~ July 2014

Did some Smarty Pants guess BBQ~. TOTALLY! LOVE LOVE LOVE~The BBQ Kit and coming perfectly with the Hot Hot Hot Summer~Thank You so Much Maurine for the Starter Kit~Looking forward to all those Fabulicious Cards everyone makes Just for ME!!In My Dreams~. Best Wishes and Lots of Gentle Hugs To All.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 AM
theStudio Artist

Well, now! I have a lot of men in my life, but only two sons actually do cook. Hubs hasn't learned but I'm beginning to give him lessons, and one son also refuses. One grandson is a 1 month-old infant, one is becoming a good Scout camp cook, and one.....? I hope some of the new recipes ya'll put up this month are Hubby Lessons, AKA EASY meals! I do the grilling here, so whatever I can come up with will have to be something that the old Hubby really likes. Hubby has to learn finally because I'm going to have my hands operated on, the first one in early October. No, not carpal tunnel. Everybody asks that. Reconstruction of my thumb joint, near the wrist, will take place. Six months of non-use, meaning NO cooking. I'm sewing because I won't be able to use hooks and eyes, (yeah - no bra!) buttons, snaps, zippers, or elastic waists, the doc says. Muumuus for me. I have chickened out of this surgery for so many years because Hubby doesn't cook. You know how some people can just never learn to drive? That would be my Hubby and a kitchen (and one daughter-in-law). We may starve, or worse.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Chit Cat

Just too funny. The cooking bit not the surgery part. On that I will send up prayers that all goes well. I understand what you are feeling. My wrist is still painful and the Dr. is "thinking" about surgery. If he thinks any longer, I may just give up on it and deal. I told him, that if I can scrap it is good enough. I can cook, but if the pot is heavy I need help lifting. So I wish you luck and offer up lots of well wishes and prayers. I will let you know about mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGram View Post
Well, now! I have a lot of men in my life, but only two sons actually do cook. Hubs hasn't learned but I'm beginning to give him lessons, and one son also refuses. One grandson is a 1 month-old infant, one is becoming a good Scout camp cook, and one.....? I hope some of the new recipes ya'll put up this month are Hubby Lessons, AKA EASY meals! I do the grilling here, so whatever I can come up with will have to be something that the old Hubby really likes. Hubby has to learn finally because I'm going to have my hands operated on, the first one in early October. No, not carpal tunnel. Everybody asks that. Reconstruction of my thumb joint, near the wrist, will take place. Six months of non-use, meaning NO cooking. I'm sewing because I won't be able to use hooks and eyes, (yeah - no bra!) buttons, snaps, zippers, or elastic waists, the doc says. Muumuus for me. I have chickened out of this surgery for so many years because Hubby doesn't cook. You know how some people can just never learn to drive? That would be my Hubby and a kitchen (and one daughter-in-law). We may starve, or worse.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Chit Cat

My husband does very little cooking. My son likes to BBQ and Smoke meats. My son-in-law likes to go out to eat. My grandson is learning to do a bit of cooking, but is busy in Air Force. So for mine it will be mostly what they like to eat and what I cook for them. Maybe they can learn to cook these things for themselves if it is written down for them. Here's hoping.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default S'mores Rice Krispies

Here's mine---fun, easy, kids can help---snap, crackle enjoy!

Good Luck Barbara with a joint reconstruction. I, too am chickening out on shoulder rotator cuff surgery. It's scheduled already for Sept 5, but I'm spending my time working on strengthening muscles and so far---plan on avoiding this if I possibly can. Selfishly, one year with brea*st cancer treatment should NOT be followed with one year of a shoulder to baby. Right?????
Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default Hobo Dinners

This card is created with Maurine Stettler's July Recipe Kit; uses Hobo Standard and Calibri fonts with her cute papers and little bar-be-quer!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
theStudio Artist

Oh, Priss - no - there must be a rule somewhere that we don't get two of these things in a row! I hope you can avoid the surgery, but I know it will ease your pain if you have to do it! Jimmy Rose - thank you, and yes, I am frequently asking for help these days; "lift that cast iron, open that jar, and put this in the oven, please". I didn't even call for the appointment with the surgeon, HE did, lol! I can take a hint! I went, I scheduled, then I rescheduled when I understood that I will need to make a whole wardrobe of muumuus. Anyway, this one's for the grandies, but Hubby loves, LOVES anything I put in push pops, and I know that scouting grandson could whip this one up in a heartbeat! S'Mores in any form are always man and boy approved!

My husband is outstanding at many things, but domestic things of any nature are not among them, sadly. I just spent several days in the hospital, and he couldn't find my toothbrush or toothpaste (medicine cabinet, right?), brought me another robe instead of a nightgown (he went by color alone, he said), and a hairbrush but no comb. Come time to go home, no clothes. I had to walk two blocks in my robe and slippers. I think I'd better pack an emergency kit for hospital stays.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:53 PM
theStudio Artist

GoodGram, Here's a recipe to teach your husband. I learned this from Alton Brown's TV show. Be sure to turn on your overhead fan--there will be smoke. It really comes out great, though. The time listed here are for medium-rare. If you like it medium, put it in the oven for 3 minutes on each side.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:09 PM
theStudio Monet

Good luck with the surgery, prayers coming your way. Well, if hubby doesn't learn to cook, he will probably be at all the take-out places and there goes the budget out the window. He might just think twice then and learn how to do some simple things. Lots of easy crock pot recipes out there. Find him one of those 5 or less ingredient recipe books too.

Quote:
Old 07-07-2014, 05:05 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I wish all of you could see the pat marks on my back. IF not you are welcome to send me some virtural ones LOL. I got my recipe done early and I do mean EARLY this month. The minute I saw the challenge I knew just what I wanted to do. Sanpete turkey or chicken is a total favorite around here. Usually I stew (oh my gosh a pun) about what I am going to send in but not this time. I promise I won't start cooking in my head so before I go and break that promise I am going to hit the post button......struggling.....fighting the urge.....I won

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...r-chicken.html

Last edited by Cupcake; 07-07-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Chit Cat

I have had several people ask me about this program. So I thought I would paste it in one last time. To find it just type in Picasa and you will find it. I only use it for recipes, but I know of other that use it for lots more. Only took me about 10 miutes to download and set it up. Love a good program that is helpful and best of all FREE.

The recipes I get from the challenge are in a folder I just call Recipes. Each month I add the new ones set up just like I get them in 2 sub folders. Recipes and blanks. So all I have to do is make a file with a date like this 6-2014. Then I open and unzip the files and move them into that months files.

Now comes the easy part. I can find any recipe I want with only the words in the title. That is because our wonderful host is so good to us. I am sure we all appreciate Maurine. I do. So one more time, thank you for all of the work you do for us. Thank you, Thank you! You make this just so easy. Each card comes with the name of the recipe as the file name. I downloaded Picasa. it is a FREE program by google. It is set up for organizing all of your photos like so many others. Like so many others it uses a tagging system. But you do not have to tag the recipes because of the names. You tell Picasa what files you want to search in and it pulls up all of the files with the words you tell it to use. When I put a new monthly file in, I mark the recipes file (not the blanks file) for searching. You do it by pulling up Picasa and go to tools then file management and navigate to the file and click. It only searches in the files you have marked and I only have the recipe files marked for search, so that is where it looks. That is it. That's all it takes. Done.

Now if I remember a recipe for Corn Cobbler I want to look at, I click on Picasa and tell it to search for corn cobbler. All of the recipes that have corn cobbler in the title come up. If I don't know the title, but know it was corn something, I put in corn. All of the cards with corn in the title come up.

Easy! It takes me about 5 minutes each month to download the files, drag them into the recipe file and mark the file as a search file.

Best part is that the program is free. I have used this for a long time for the recipes. Works great and I love it.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 PM
theStudio Artist

GoodGram, I was thinking of you while making this recipe card. This is easy peasy and pretty much full proof. My sweet Hubby makes most of our dinners since he is retired and I am still working. He uses the slow cooker / crockpot for the most part and has mastered many great recipes and gets very creative. You really can't get easier, and if you use the liners cleanup is a snap.
Wishing you much success with your surgery, and be sure to make some long sleeve muumuus for the fall and winter!

Quote:

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...pot-roast.html
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 PM
theStudio Picasso

This is a great theme for our challenge and a fun kit to use for the cards. Thanks so much for creating it, Maurine. Here's my card. The recipe comes from my brother-in-law, who does a lot of cooking and was a cook when in the service.
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...d-peppers.html
Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM
theStudio Picasso

Bernie's BBQ Chicken

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...q-chicken.html