Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 09-16-2008, 04:59 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Do you go with who or what you know?

I had an interesting thought this morning when I looked at the voting for my kit.As a member who has not been here very long in this forum and and only done a few challenges of recent(namely the color challenge last month and the designer challenge, template challenge so far this month..my mega contribution about to be released too), I am not very well known on this forum. I have left more than my usally love and answered posts..but is it enough? I guess what i am asking am i at a disadvantage ( honest opinions please!) because i havent been here very long?Thanks for reading my rant..lol

cheers Charliexxx

Charlie's Digiscraps
Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
theStudio Picasso

Given the number of new members who have joined for our birthday celebration, I don't think so. In fact, if I were to do a trend graph (and I don't dare get started since I have to finish the newletter, lol), I think it would not turn out to be the case. What I do think helps though is to have a good blog following and that's why I recommend you blog, blog, blog. Try to get your kit listed on Ikea Goddess. I know personally I've gone to vote for designers in contests after finding out they were in a contest from their blog. I'm sure we'll see a big spike in the # of votes after the newsletter goes out too.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 PM
theStudio Picasso

I have beleive me..I have advertised everywhere...I will keep at it..With Ikea..she picks you right?not the other way around?Good luck with the newsletter( now there a mega job!)

Thanks charlie
Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 PM
theStudio Picasso

Charlie, you can email her (the link is on her blog) with your preview. The times she listed me I had sent her the preview and the link. Make sure you mention you're in a contest trying to get into your first store. From what I can tell, she likes to help support new designers.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori11941 View Post
Charlie, you can email her (the link is on her blog) with your preview. The times she listed me I had sent her the preview and the link. Make sure you mention you're in a contest trying to get into your first store. From what I can tell, she likes to help support new designers.
oh..i didnt realise that..thanks so much for the tip....thankyou
Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 PM
SAS-y Gem

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM
theStudio Picasso

Thankyou!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:56 AM
theStudio Designer

Well I have been here at sas nearly since just after it's birth and it isnt giving me an advantage. I agree that there is a lot of advantage in having a blog following and a lot of the designers in the competition are new to sas. Just look at the post counts. There are also designers in the competition who are already selling elsewhere so they may have a ct to vote for them and in that ripple effect that happens, their ct or supporters would be blogging to get their followers to vote for that designer too. So I have decided to keep promoting myself around the web and the rest really is, sadly, a popularity thing. Lots of members won't vote at all until maybe after they read the newsletter. Just what I think....
Hugs
Tracy

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Old 09-17-2008, 04:14 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambowife View Post
Well I have been here at sas nearly since just after it's birth and it isnt giving me an advantage. I agree that there is a lot of advantage in having a blog following and a lot of the designers in the competition are new to sas. Just look at the post counts. There are also designers in the competition who are already selling elsewhere so they may have a ct to vote for them and in that ripple effect that happens, their ct or supporters would be blogging to get their followers to vote for that designer too. So I have decided to keep promoting myself around the web and the rest really is, sadly, a popularity thing. Lots of members won't vote at all until maybe after they read the newsletter. Just what I think....
Hugs
Tracy
Yes thats what im thinking..oh, when does the newsletter come out???..but its all fun though the competition and all the extra birthday activities I think!

Charlie ***
Old 09-17-2008, 04:28 PM
theStudio Designer

Talking

well it's supposed to come out on Wednesday US time so we should be getting it any minute now LOL, it's 4.20pm there so I guess it should be up in a few hours or so. Did you get onto ikea goddess? I sent an email but I am sure she must get hundreds every day. Though I did see one of mistybelle's kits there last week!! ARgh and Ikeagoddess had her sunday freebies titled Lazy Sunday's freebies that's the name of my kit. accept for the apostrophe. Yikes. This is after I have sent her the request to promote my kit of the same name. I did name my kit on Friday though so I am hoping she'll realise that hee hee!!

Okay gotta go leave some luvin'
Good luck hun!!
Tracy

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
theStudio Picasso

maybe:p..lol..im not holding my breath..though!lol
happy posting
Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 PM
SAS-y Diamond

Charlen, I'd like to give you my input on this as well if you don't mind. This is one persons opinion and please take that into consideration.

Just after I began designing professionally was when the influx of Designer contests that we all have now started. I had a huge blog following, lots of cheerleaders out there but I didn't feel it was the right way to go to ask for them to vote for me. I said I was in it, that's all. In one I was booted out after the first round, in the second one I came in second place. Both were looking for just one designer. I was a bit bummed, but you know what - the Designers who won WERE better than me then. They deserved it, and I didn't - then .

No one should want to be chosen because they're popular - that's for high school kids, not adults. And if you're not really ready for it professionally, then you are in for one heck of a rude awakening once you get a store. The worst WORST feeling in the world is to put your heart and soul into a design and nobody buys it. Not being chosen in a contest is nothing compared to that feeling.

Now I'm NOT saying don't blog about it because if nothing else it gets your name out there to the masses. I had my blog for almost 2 years and offered freebies almost daily before I made the jump to professional designing. And I still had SO much to learn about doing this as a business. Blogs are also wonderful test grounds for new ideas and designs.

Just be vigilant - if you don't win this one then enter another, and another. If you really want to do this, the best way to get there is to keep plugging away until you do.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
theStudio Picasso

Candesigns, thankyou for your honesty. I gues my perceptions of a lot of things have changed since entering this competition. It has even changed since starting this thread. Do I really want to be in a shop and design..YES..more than anything.....its really hard to explain..I guess i just have learn to roll with the punches so to speak. I just find it hard when ( and its difficult being my first comp) that you have all this advice coming from all directions, and knowing which is the best advice on how to "get yourself" out there, so to speak. But I guess, and the main reason for entering this comp is its all a huge learning experience and we are all winners because of this.

Charlie
Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 AM
theStudio Designer

Here Here Charlie! I agree, and I think that is the right attitude to come at the competition with as I have found most of the girls in the competition I have chatted to are viewing it as an experience they can come away from having learned a whole lot more about themselves and designing.

I have also seen a lot of other competitions get really ugly, I think the fact that we are all supporting eachother through the process of voting and creating our kits is a credit to all the ladies that want to become Sassy in this competition. You're right We are all winners

Hugs
Tracy

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 09-18-2008, 02:08 AM
the Studio - Designer

It is alot of work doing this competition, I too don't have alot of experience or blog followers I'm just doing the best I know how to do and learning every single day how to do more, lol, and guess what, if I don't make it, then I don't make it but it doesn't mean I fail, it just means I try harder and do better and keep trying again, lol, and again and again if it's really what I want to do ... just my two cents

Also, Ikea Goddess doesn't like girly stuff, she states that on her blog .... sometimes she'll take it if it appeals to her but ONLY if she really likes it... I got no chance there this week, LOL

Last edited by Mitsybelle; 09-18-2008 at 03:33 AM.