Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Newbie Frequently Asked Questions

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:56 PM
theStudio Artist

Default What program to use????

I've been doing my layouts in Print Shop (version 22) which has so far served my purposes. But while it lays out ok, it doesn't have the sophisticated editing tools that you all seem to be using. I'm learning this the hard way during the Layout Design Challenge this week

So what program does everyone recommend? I've been browsing Amazon & am even more confused. I see Photoshop & something called Photoshop Elements -- is that an addon or a freestanding program? And all the versions? I see version 7 is being released soon? And what would that be better than version 6? or 5 or 4????

Any suggestions? I don't have unlimited funds nor do I have unlimited time to figure it all out. Are there any *user friendly* programs?????

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
theStudio Picasso

You've been using a user friendly program!

My suggestion would be to try Photoshop Elements which is what I call the consumer version of Photoshop. The real Photoshop, which has been around for about 20 years - and updated regularly - is expensive and sort of overkill, IMHO. Elements is less than $100 and has been updated each Fall, thus the varying versions. Elements 7 is just about to be released where Elements 4 is three years old but does many of the same things.

A lot of people use Paint Shop Pro (PSP) which is about the same price. You don't need both programs, so choose one or the other at this point. I personally have tried PSP and don't like it. It's just too complex. But maybe I feel that way because I'm more familiar with Elements.

Elements has in the past offered a free 30 day trial, but I can't find that on Adobe's Web site right now. Maybe it will reappear when version 7 is released. I don't know about a trial for PSP.

There are great tutorials all over the Web. Both Scrapgirls and Scrappers Guide sell tutorial CDs and/or downloads. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I'm familiar with and I've found there very helpful.

Good luck in moving up a notch - and just post if you need help. The gals here are wonderful.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 PM
theStudio Picasso

I just posted a reply to your question in the LODesign challenge forum. I said about the same thing that Sharli just wrote:p
I think paintshoppro users are very loyal & love it.But I think there are alot more resources out there for photoshopelements(tutorials etc)__although I am seeing more tuts lately for psp on digiscrap sites

Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
SAS-y Gem

I currently use Paint Shop Pro...the latest version called PSP Photo X2. I downloaded their 30-day free trial from their website and quickly got attached to it, so I went out and bought the full edition. I've never tried the Adobe products, because this works so well for me. It helped that I found it on sale for much cheaper than the Adobe products (currently only $69.99 when you buy directly from Corel's website) I simply love it! I have found several good tuts and resources that help teach PSP (I use the ones from ScrapGirls as well, which Sharpli mentioned). Yes, a lot more styles and scripts and resources out there seem to be geared towards Photoshop. However, PSPX2 can open up .psd files (Photoshop files), so that helps keep me from being left out on templates and things.

Good luck in your decision!! I hope you find something that works for you. Anything can become "user friendly" if you give it enough time and playing around with it.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 AM
theStudio Picasso

Besides having a good program to digiscrap with you also need enough ram on your computer. If your computer is low on ram the programs take forever to do stuff.:eek:

Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 PM
theStudio QC CT

If you are looking for mainly a scrapbooking program, FotoFusion by Lumapix is the greatest! It is so versatile and easy to use. You can download a free demo from their site. It is fully functional but puts a watermark on your pages. You can try it out to see if you like it. I LOVE IT!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:33 AM
SAS-y Scrapper

Smile

Check out the Gimpshop...its very powerfull and its free...It is very much like photoshop elements 6...(I used the 30 day trial and loved it, just don't have the $100.00 to buy it right now) and I am finding lots of online tutorials for Gimp...It is worth the learning curve...lol...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:35 PM
SAS-y Gem

I second the motion about lumapix's fotofusion. I've used it for several years now and LOVE it. It is NOT the world's best photo editor, although it does a pretty good job. I use lumpaix in conjunctioni with google's picasa (free download) which has some reasonably decent editing tools but more importantly it organizes my elements and papers very well. Finally, splashup is a free online editing tool which is pretty sophisticated- and you don't even have to give them an email address. You can use it without registering etc. All 3 are pretty easy to use.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 PM
theStudio Picasso

I think I would really get confused if I got all these different programs recommended.I guess there is no easy answer since everyones situation is unique. I guess i would (before spending any hard earned cash)go to different scrap sites & see what they have in their forums about programs.etc. I think you'd find most digiscrappers use photoshopelements or paint shop pro. Scrapgirls has cd's on how to digiscrap for these two programs.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 AM
SAS-y Pebble

Hi I am new here. Been using paintshop pro for a couple of months and just beginning to learn it. I decided on this program because it is supposed to be easier to learn and when searching the internet,I found lots more info on paintshop than I did on photoshop.

They even have a new ultimate version that is supposed to have a plugin background remover.

Can someone post the link to scrapgirls site where you all are mentioning the dics. I might want to check it out.

I have tried some tuts online and I have a hard time following them. Most assume you have working kowledge of the program or they leave some steps out.
Thanks,
Carolyn
Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
theStudio Picasso

Not sure we are allowed to link to outside sites.just add .com to the name

Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 PM
theStudio Picasso

GIMP & ART-RAGE are two free programs that are suppose to be very good.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
theStudio Scribbler

I think most scrappers use Photoshop Elements, with Paint Shop Pro coming in second.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
SAS-y Diamond

Just a note; with Photoshop Elements 7 (PSE7) coming out soon, Photoshop Elements 6 (PSE6) will get very cheap so watch for some deals soon!!

An advantage of PSE and other PhotoShop Versions over just scrapbooking programs is in being able to edit photos. I am not sure what the other programs have to offer in photo editing. I assume that PSP does allow photo editing.

Janalyn's Place Blog
Closed Thread